PDA

View Full Version : Topac Gorge With A Prop?

famaffair
02-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Is the water shallow through the Gorge? I have a 26 footer and I wonder if I can make it through there without ruining a prop. I have never been through there.

Havasu Hangin'
02-19-2005, 08:01 PM
I've taken my 35' through many times...no problems.
There is a shallow spot (if the water is down), just south of the bridge (in front of the beach on the right). Stay on plane, and you'll be fine.
The other two shallow spots are the entrance to Topock Marina...and a little known place called "the sandbar".
:supp:

famaffair
02-19-2005, 08:11 PM
I've taken my 35' through many times...no problems.
There is a shallow spot (if the water is down), just south of the bridge (in front of the beach on the right). Stay on plane, and you'll be fine.
The other two shallow spots are the entrance to Topock Marina...and a little known place called "the sandbar".
:supp:
Is the sandbar and topac all north of the nautical inn? how far?

moneypit
02-19-2005, 09:06 PM
I have never seen the bottom of the gorge... been going through there for 30+ years. Depending on house fast your going.. its all between 20-40 boat ride. Against the current of course. :D

BigDogIvan
02-19-2005, 09:18 PM
If your not confertable running the gorge. Find someone that does know and follow them. It is a sight to see. :cool:
BD

phebus
02-19-2005, 09:45 PM
The only shallow area to be concerned with, is the area between the lake and the gorge. Fid a boat with a draft similar to yours, and follow it. Stay on the throttle, and you will be fine.
It can be scary looking going through, but once back on the river your fine.

Badger301
02-19-2005, 10:12 PM
The only shallow area to be concerned with, is the area between the lake and the gorge. Fid a boat with a draft similar to yours, and follow it. Stay on the throttle, and you will be fine.
It can be scary looking going through, but once back on the river your fine.
Good Advice! Thats what I did the first time just followed somone who's been there before. You deff have to check it out it's pretty nice. There are even a couple of beach spots through the Gorge to chill out for a little while. When you planning on going?

ACCEPTENCE
02-20-2005, 12:16 AM
I wonder if I can make it through there without ruining a prop.
Not this time of year, but you might get lucky.
The water level is way down :frown:
Davis is slated to start dumping water about March 2nd.
Oh!!!...and you'd be surprised how shallow Topock really is. Scary.

Flying Tiger
02-20-2005, 01:23 AM
If the water level is up, and you don't have a V or direct drive, and pay attention,, sure.

HOOTER SLED-
02-20-2005, 02:56 AM
Sell your boat, buy a jet. Screw ALL prop owners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D J/K Gorge is fine. Look out for that big thing they call the Sandbar. Lots of boobies, but it will ding your prop. :D ;) ;) ;)

Ion
02-20-2005, 10:39 AM
If you're talking about going now, or for the next week or so, the river level is so high that you could chose any path from the lake to the river, to the sandbar, then onto Topock, without ever having to worry about dinging your prop. Today, it's at 449+, well above summer levels!

Squirtin Thunder
02-20-2005, 11:23 AM
If you're talking about going now, or for the next week or so, the river level is so high that you could chose any path from the lake to the river, to the sandbar, then onto Topock, without ever having to worry about dinging your prop. Today, it's at 449+, well above summer levels!
Well the river level up here is so low you can't even launch a boat.

H20skier
02-21-2005, 05:58 AM
Well the river level up here is so low you can't even launch a boat.
Ditto down here in Mohave Valley. What river are you talking about Ion??

Havasu Hangin'
02-21-2005, 06:50 AM
I think he's talking about the entrance to Havasu. It is pretty shallow there, and can be tricky to get through sometimes.
The depth of the entrance is really dictated by the lake level at Havasu, rather than the river flows (even though it is on the river).

Ion
02-21-2005, 07:38 AM
On the north end of the lake, where it narrows into only the river, on the way up to the sandbar. And as of right now, we are still way above normal levels at 449+. I just can't understand how Laughlin / Bullhead is so low, because I can't recall there being any kind of dam between here (Havasu) and there. Anyone...?

svlperry
02-21-2005, 11:33 AM
there prolly not opening up parker dam so it's making the lake fuller

Squirtin Thunder
02-21-2005, 11:59 AM
there prolly not opening up parker dam so it's making the lake fuller
I know Havazoo is sinking !!!

chub
02-21-2005, 03:09 PM
We had lunch at Topock marina yesterday. I saw three pontoons no longer floating but sitting in mud. My advice would be to wait on any river adventures for awhile. While I' m at it. Park Moabi doesn't look like it will open till sometime in May. "Weather" has hampered construction efforts. :mad: :hammerhea

77charger
02-21-2005, 03:56 PM
On the north end of the lake, where it narrows into only the river, on the way up to the sandbar. And as of right now, we are still way above normal levels at 449+. I just can't understand how Laughlin / Bullhead is so low, because I can't recall there being any kind of dam between here (Havasu) and there. Anyone...?
no water flow from dam means no water flowing in river part.must run low at somepoint.lots off run off from rain makes lake higher and near full any more releases from dam could cause the lake to overflow.

famaffair
02-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Good Advice! Thats what I did the first time just followed somone who's been there before. You deff have to check it out it's pretty nice. There are even a couple of beach spots through the Gorge to chill out for a little while. When you planning on going?
not for a while, this is my first year ownijng a boat and I am trying to plan several tours