PDA

View Full Version : How much water is in your boat.

dexman38
02-21-2005, 09:07 AM
With all of the rain how much water is in the boat. Thats the question for the ones who have to store their boat outside. I have a cover over the boat but the water still gets in. I tried something new this time I made a big tent with some poles im going to check will post pictures. :)

dmontzsta
02-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Thats what is good about having a boat under 18', it gets a spot in the garage. :D

Tremor Therapy
02-21-2005, 09:09 AM
I ordered a custom tarp for mine, and bought some pvc tubing to create a "tent" as well. I crawled into the boat yesterday afternoon.....not one drop! It also helps to have a de-humidifier in the thing all the time as well!

Mrs. casean
02-21-2005, 09:13 AM
SOO MUCH! I just went out there to take buckets out of the bow! It's coming down bad right now... the PVC pipe's not holding up to well today :notam:

dexman38
02-21-2005, 09:14 AM
de humidifier good ideal how much for one of them and where do you get them

NOTALENT
02-21-2005, 09:15 AM
yeah..I had quite a bit..ski locker was full..left the plugs open so it could drain out..and made a tent shape as well so the water will mostly roll off.. :p Picking up a huge tarp today for it..

Slider
02-21-2005, 09:16 AM
SOO MUCH! I just went out there to take buckets out of the bow! It's coming down bad right now... the PVC pipe's not holding up to well today :notam:Get some schedule 40 pvc pipe.It will hold up better.

sigepmock
02-21-2005, 09:16 AM
We tried storing ours on the side of the house until I went out and the entire ski locker was full.....(I left the plug in :frown: ) Now it's safe and dry in the garage. I tried PVC poles, beach ball, two covers and a tarp nothing worked short of one of those portable garage/covers.

Mrs. casean
02-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Get some schedule 40 pipe.It will hold up better.
Gotta tell the hubby about that... thanks! Anything to make it better we will try. It goes into storage next month... no more rain please!!! For a month at least!

Tremor Therapy
02-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Exactly....schedule 40 is the only way to go. And make cross braces to help hold it up. You can get a de-humidifier out of the Overton's catalog. I think they are in the 50-75 dollar range. They may be more, but it was a great investment!

dicudmore
02-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Exactly....schedule 40 is the only way to go. And make cross braces to help hold it up. You can get a de-humidifier out of the Overton's catalog. I think they are in the 50-75 dollar range. They may be more, but it was a great investment!
he's absolutely right....
for the record, mine is still outside getting wet :cry:

FRENCHIE
02-21-2005, 09:33 AM
I DID THE PVC SCH40 IN DECEMBER!! TENT SHAPE WITH BOAT COVER, THEN 20X40 TARP FROM WALMART FOR ABOUT $50.00 AND NOT A DROP!!! :cool:

Dusty Times
02-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Jack the nose up as high as possible so that all the water will drain.

HCS
02-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Boat should be on the water not water in the boat. :jawdrop:
My little boat fit's in the garage. :rolleyes:

Mrs. casean
02-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Tounge is jacked up as high as possible, boat cover is on w/ the PVC just before the bow opens, then the blue big tarp over it all... but water is making a pond in the bow still... gotta put the PVC in the bow tonight... please stop raining!!! Please please! :hammer2:

BarryMac
02-21-2005, 09:41 AM
Portable Garage from Costco keeps mine dry and cozy, plus I have a 18 x 30 Blue Tarp the Mooring cover and snap cover on it, can you say "OVERKILL"... :smile:

2sand2
02-21-2005, 09:45 AM
big ass tarp and good tie points have kept us high and dry.
de-humidifier does sound like a good idea. does it take 110 to run? we don't have that at the storage site. i once heard there is a way to use something like cat litter in a shallow container to take the moisture out of the air. anyone else hear this? just don't wana get the area cats thinking its a dry place tto $hit...

Sweet Addiction
02-21-2005, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=dexman38]With all of the rain how much water is in the boat.
None, I got this thick a$$ plastic cover with my boat, that the dealer left in the front, that is used to trailer new boats down the highway and I cover it up and the water runs right off. No mold, mildew, or stinge. Works great but a pain in the arrrssss to fold up.
Jared.

Mrs. casean
02-21-2005, 10:03 AM
linds, where did you get a storage (and is it covered) ? - i would hate to have a boat get "WET" - :eek: :wink: - keyes
haha, The boat get wet??? Never! :D We got an indoor storage unit at the Lakeside Storage in Parker. Boat will be getting the steering cable replaced March 1st, then when we get it back we're taking it up there sometime Easter or earlier.

CornWater
02-21-2005, 06:32 PM
The boat is sitting in a wherehouse.. so not a drop :D

purrfecttremor
02-22-2005, 04:12 AM
shes high and dry inside at windsor beach storage.

mike37
02-22-2005, 06:04 AM
I built a 14x35 garage for my boat its worth it to keeep it out of the weather
if you have room thats the way to go

Ultrafied
02-22-2005, 06:15 AM
6 years I tried to keep the other boat dry. Tarps, double tarps, covers. usually won, but it was always a battle. So glad I the Ultra fits in the garage at our place at Havasu. No battles ... no worries, she stays nice and dry. 1st year the war isn't on my mind!

AquaBoogie
02-22-2005, 08:51 AM
I DID THE PVC SCH40 IN DECEMBER!! TENT SHAPE WITH BOAT COVER, THEN 20X40 TARP FROM WALMART FOR ABOUT $50.00 AND NOT A DROP!!! :cool:
Same here. Tent shape boat cover with the good tarp from Walmart. Strapped the cover to the trailer and hung weights from the tarp to keep tight. Water runs right off and the boat stays dry.

pixrthis
02-22-2005, 10:56 PM
big ass tarp and good tie points have kept us high and dry.
de-humidifier does sound like a good idea. does it take 110 to run? we don't have that at the storage site. i once heard there is a way to use something like cat litter in a shallow container to take the moisture out of the air. anyone else hear this? just don't wana get the area cats thinking its a dry place tto $hit...
Camping World sells something that takes the moisture out of the air with no power required. I was suprised how well it worked.

Garrddogg
02-22-2005, 11:09 PM
None in the boat but I had about 6" of water in the Vette! :cry:

shueman
02-23-2005, 06:44 AM
Plain old Baking Soda will pull the moisture out from under the cover....

GHTRIM
02-23-2005, 06:58 AM
Plain old Baking Soda will pull the moisture out from under the cover....
Good idea.... Can't beleive I did not think about that.. I have a crap loads of moisture in the cuddy. I went to check on the boat two times in Havasu and both times the water was about 4" deep in the cuddy. I steam cleaned it too. I would have pulled the drain plug but it will not remove so I'll be getting a new one as soon as the boat goes in for service.