PDA

View Full Version : Any SoCal peeps cash out and move out of state?

sneauxcone
02-21-2005, 02:07 PM
The wife and I have been pondering :idea: this one for a couple years now. Sell the house and move somewhere like Austin, TX. Pay cash for the new house and have money left over for investment. So has anybody here left Socal for another state? Any positives or negatives? Is moving an improvement in the quality of life or does it suck? I's gots to know....

Mandelon
02-21-2005, 02:14 PM
I think about it a couple times a month. We still have kids in school, so I think we will wait. But I sure think about it......If I sold it all I could retire and live pretty well somewhere cheaper.....

NashvilleBound
02-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Moved to TN 7 months ago never looked back. If you've never been to TN your missing out. I was able to cash out my home in CA and trade it for the home I live in now....which is top end and 5 rentals...all paid for. What more could you ask for, besides lakes in all directions within 40 minutes....??

Krazy K
02-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Born and raised in So. CA. I just got tired of the constant traffic, rude people, orange sky, etc. I've been here for almost 7 years and wouldn't change it for the world. except for the fact I'm moving to Vegas to continue school because they are on the semester system down there and that's what I'm used to. We have alot of Californians moving here. I don't mind as long as they don't bring their attitude and driving skills (or lack thereof) with them. Once I'm done with school, I might move back up here (probably Astoria or Long Beach, WA) and teach for a couple years (if our education improves a bit). If not, I'll look at the southeast or northeast US or Vancouver, BC.
I say go for it!!!

NashvilleBound
02-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Born and raised in So. CA. I just got tired of the constant traffic, rude people, orange sky, etc. I've been here for almost 7 years and wouldn't change it for the world. except for the fact I'm moving to Vegas to continue school because they are on the semester system down there and that's what I'm used to. We have alot of Californians moving here. I don't mind as long as they don't bring their attitude and driving skills (or lack thereof) with them. Once I'm done with school, I might move back up here (probably Astoria or Long Beach, WA) and teach for a couple years (if our education improves a bit). If not, I'll look at the southeast or northeast US or Vancouver, BC.
I say go for it!!!
I think Oregon is a good place too. We went up to a place right in the middle on the coast and it was very nice. Cant remember the name.... the guy who owns Viking Ready Mix was a jerk (we sold him some equipment) but the area was beautiful.

Flying Tiger
02-21-2005, 02:35 PM
I'd like to re locate too.
The Keyes in Parker are probably my next residence.
I'm pretty active socially here, and can say with all sincerity that most people I know that leave here want to come back. If they do come back, they become housepoor and really struggle: Affluent poverty I call it.
Once you leave, ya can't come back.
Real Estate prices raise far faster here than most other places. Not all other places, but most:
The Seattle migration rush a decade ago is a good example of that.
Take a good, hard, long,,, don't-kid-yourself-look before ya jump.

HCS
02-21-2005, 02:38 PM
I here ya. California is getting to damn expensive to live here.
The legislature is throwing around the idea of taxing people on how many miles they drive. Totally asinine. :eat:
Everything in this state has gone up in price. Gas, natural gas, electricity, food, milk water, phone services and everything else under the sun.
They even want to tax the sun! Their going to tax solar electricity if the haven't all ready.

jdf
02-21-2005, 02:44 PM
you need to check out austin it's pretty high rate to live there

Flying Tiger
02-21-2005, 02:59 PM
you need to check out austin it's pretty high rate to live there
But if ya do go there,, the" Broken Spoke" is a teriffic bar and grill with really good entertainment.
Just about sunset, biting black bugs come out to prey in thick swarms.
Like in the movie "The Birds", they beat away at the house & your car trying to get in.
Your wife will love it.

Cole Trickle
02-21-2005, 03:02 PM
I have been debating selling my Condo in Trabuco Canyon and buying a hose in the Gilbert area of AZ.
We did alot of looking all around the Phoenix area and liked what we see.
250-300K buys you alot of house
AZ is going to be the next Orange County as far as I am concerned.
I think the Market here will be tame compared to years of the past.If interst rates go up there are going to be alot of people out on the street due to interest only loans.

Krazy K
02-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Am I wrong or is Phoenix not one of the worst crime cities in the US?

Parker Dreamin
02-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Tequlla John is doing it right now... he is headed to AZ.

Dr. Eagle
02-21-2005, 04:21 PM
just hope they don't try and change the place after they move in :rolleyes:
That's what they used to call "Californication" in the Pacific Northwest a few years back... :hammerhea

callbob4homes
02-21-2005, 04:26 PM
You don't want to live in Phoenix, just the 'burbs. Ask Tequila-John, I just sold him a house in Power Ranch that would probably go for a mil or more in Cali. I just bought a place in Johnson Ranch that backs to the #1 green on the course, gated community for a price you would not believe. The homes in this area (Stonegate, Johnson Ranch) have gone up 40-50K since August. (and under 200K, way under) One just hit today, new listing for 15K over what I gave last week! Sure little bit of a drive depending on where you work, traffic can be a bitch, but once the new 4 lanes and freeways come in, I will be very glad I bought now and put up with it. Pull up Johnsonranch.com and check it out. Not the same as Power Ranch......yet. Power Ranch is the number 1 rated planned community in the country right now. Prices are spiking through the roof. The Johnson Ranch area will be next. or you can wait for the new freeways to be built and pay, pay, pay. Another great area is Gold Canyon, east of Mesa, that is reputed to be the next Scottsdale. Last fall, gated communities w/ 1600 sq. ft. (just an example) sold for 140K. Not much in there now for under 200K.

BarryMac
02-21-2005, 04:31 PM
As soon as my youngest daughter (12) Graduates from HS we are out of here, it's a few years off but I am really sick of the congestion and getting hosed for everything that we buy because we live in So Cal... We are talking AZ. but not 100% sure were we will end up...

ROZ
02-21-2005, 04:39 PM
I don't know what the hell you guys are bitchen about. My commute is great :)

THATJEFFGUY
02-21-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm currently looking to get the hell outta this state as we speak ! I'm just sick of the ridiculous costs and especially the traffic everywhere you go ! Maybe AZ, ID, or NV..haven't decided yet. :confused:

vegasriverjunkie
02-21-2005, 04:45 PM
I was out in Phoenix area for business and stayed at a buddies house in Gilbert. The prices and area reminded me of Vegas back about 4 years ago. I'm looking to possibly maybe investing in some property out there.

Dr. Eagle
02-21-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm currently looking to get the hell outta this state as we speak ! I'm just sick of the ridiculous costs and especially the traffic everywhere you go ! Maybe AZ, ID, or NV..haven't decided yet. :confused:
I want out too. Can't seem to get the wife there though...

doesitfloat?
02-21-2005, 05:50 PM
I've done it twice. We cashed out of the Bay Area in 1999 for almost double what we paid for our house in 1996 to move to Vegas. Then , over the last 18 months, Vegas has appreciated like friggen crazy and we sold again...this time for over 2 1/2 times what we bought it for 5 years earlier. Moved to Boise, way better place to raise kids, less stress, cooler people, EVERYTHING paid off (except house), new truck, boat, bought 2 add'l income properties, working on third and all 3 properties are already worth a combined 55k more than we paid for them a few months ago.
Most important: Way better quality of life! Go for it but do your homework.

callbob4homes
02-21-2005, 05:51 PM
I was out in Phoenix area for business and stayed at a buddies house in Gilbert. The prices and area reminded me of Vegas back about 4 years ago. I'm looking to possibly maybe investing in some property out there.
If you are going to do it, do it now. prices escalating rapidly because vegas has shut out investors and new construction here as well will not let investors buy. The only drawback is there are so many investors buying and renting, the rental market is saturated. Lease backs or rent to own if you can swing it, is the way to go IMO. lease backs for people building new and waiting is not a bad deal sometimes because you are leasing back to the owner. The way prices are escalating, if you can get a 6-10 lease back, you will probably be able to sell and make a profit. Not guaranteed, because if I could predict what will happen in a year, I would never have to work again! From what I have seen and from the amount of building going on and the land being bought by big time developers, I would have to go with the market holding. I know this stuff goes in cycles, but this cycle is peddling fast. Hindsight is pretty good, I just wish I would have kept the 2 homes I bought in Havasu in 1999. :hammerhea

Dr. Eagle
02-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Most important: Way better quality of life! Go for it but do your homework.
I'd go for it, but can't see maintaining my lifestyle on a Wal Mart Greeters income... :wink:

doesitfloat?
02-21-2005, 05:57 PM
true...I, of course, am assuming that whomever makes this move has some sort of professional skills to offer...

sneauxcone
02-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Now this is truly inspiring! 23 responses with a clean sweep of yea's. Just the kick in the ass I need to get things rolling. We are looking to put the house on the market June 1.
How about this one: Anyone ever move anywhere without having a job lined up? I've been workin' the internet with no success yet. If june 1st rolls around and I still don't have something lined up we are moving anyway. So has anyone done the "Hail Mary"

Garrddogg
02-21-2005, 06:14 PM

Dr. Eagle
02-21-2005, 06:19 PM
true...I, of course, am assuming that whomever makes this move has some sort of professional skills to offer...
Yes in fact highly developed professional skills... however just not in the boonies. NOt a lot of call for Wireless System Implementation or Operations folks in areas of low population. It's a curse I tell you. :(

doesitfloat?
02-21-2005, 06:52 PM
hmmm...boonies, huh. That's why Micron and HP employ about 20,000 here in Boise. While it isn't Vegas or SoCal, 450,000 people (in the valley) isn't exactly Mayberry either.
Moving without a job? Depends on what you do...and how good you are at it. My family called me crazy (or worse behind my back) for moving to both Vegas and then Boise without a job. Both times, I got a better job than before.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Az is blowing up the map. I am born and raised here and so many people are cashing out in cali and buying up all the property out here. The only problem is that its making it harder for the 1st time buyers to get something cheap. I remember when a first time buyer could buy for $90's all day long now they are up to $160's. The other downfall is the homeowners associations blow ass. If you dont spit properly on your property you get fined :yuk: I think ha's are a damn joke. I think if you spend that much $$$$ on a piece of land then you should do whatever you want to do. I guess I will be buying an older home so I have lots of room and no damn home owners assoc. Other than that az is a nice spot. There is alot of different people out here. Oh and we have 6 lakes in the valley;) and it only takes 2 hours to get to the snow for the winter sports;)

Dr. Eagle
02-21-2005, 07:38 PM
hmmm...boonies, huh. That's why Micron and HP employ about 20,000 here in Boise. While it isn't Vegas or SoCal, 450,000 people (in the valley) isn't exactly Mayberry either.
No not Mayberry, actually very nice size. Problem is that the wireless companies have like nobody in those places. They manage Boise and Spokane out of Seattle and for the most part places like Sacramento and Reno out of the Bay Area... unless I change careers (and that wouldn't be all bad) I am kind of stuck.

sorry dog
02-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Planned communities :yuk:
I bet them associations don't even let you hunt tha back yard.
BTW...
Don't come to Bama. All you strangers comin to town are driving up the prices on double wides.

doesitfloat?
02-21-2005, 09:13 PM
No not Mayberry, actually very nice size. Problem is that the wireless companies have like nobody in those places. They manage Boise and Spokane out of Seattle and for the most part places like Sacramento and Reno out of the Bay Area... unless I change careers (and that wouldn't be all bad) I am kind of stuck.
Well, there's pros and cons to being "specialized". Too bad it limits where you can live but I'm sure it's lucrative where your at.

DaveA
02-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Planned communities :yuk:
I bet them associations don't even let you hunt tha back yard.
BTW...
Don't come to Bama. All you strangers comin to town are driving up the prices on double wides.
If you cash out of SoCal and try moving to the Carolinas, you'll have to fight the New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians, and assorted New Englanders for space. They've already cashed out up there, moved in and are opening their Bagel Shoppes and Delicatessans everywhere (an' dey tawk funney too). They're haulin' off our double-wides and building great big ole houses. Local folks are worried that their daughters might get to likin' them Yankee boys!
Homeowners ass ociations are just that...the city folks whut runs 'em won't let you keep yer livestock in the back lot, and if you bring out Ol' Bessie to shoot a mess o' squirrels for dinner, they start hyperventilating and calling 911. I hate when that happens...

Krazy K
02-21-2005, 11:28 PM
PHUCK Homeowners ASSociations!!! If I want oil on my driveway, I'll leave it there!! You can take your CC&Rs, roll them up real tight and shove them straight up your candy ass!! If I just paid $400k for my house, my dog can shit on the lawn and if they want it removed, they can remove it!!

H20skier
02-22-2005, 05:51 AM
We too are refugees from CA, now in Mohave Valley, AZ full-time. Sure beats SoCal for me, but one needs to be aware of what they get for real estate taxes. They are going up by leaps and bounds, at least in Mohave County. No Prop. 13 here.

HavaTan
02-22-2005, 08:34 AM
4 1/2 more years!!! That give me plenty of time to lobby for a Prop 13 in AZ. I love CA, but I can't wait to blow this pop stand...

Havasu_Dreamin
02-22-2005, 08:47 AM
BTW...
ROFLMAO!

westcoastcat
02-22-2005, 08:54 AM
I tried moving outta so cal twice in my life, once to Medford OR and then Houston TX. I got majorly homesick both times...
I missed my family and friends, but most of all, I missed the weather.
There's no place like home.

OutCole'd
02-22-2005, 09:10 AM
I moved away from So Cal 7 years ago. I still miss it everyday. You don't know what you have till it's gone....

Artv
02-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Jackie and I put our deposit down for our house back in November of 04; the house has gone up 25k. They just poured the foundation last week. The house should be done in June. We purchased our house in Goodyear AZ.

superdave013
02-22-2005, 09:18 AM
I grew up in Anderson Indiana and moved to So Cal in 1985. If you cash out don't go to Anderson. lol
BTW, I'm in and I'm not leaving!!