PDA

View Full Version : Electrical gurus help please

Rexone
02-22-2005, 09:38 PM
I got these outdoor lights around my building, the yellowish kind not the bright white ones. Some are on poles in the parking lot, some on the building (different type fixtures but same color lights). Problem is they cycle on and off (independently) all the time.
Is this a light bulb problem (needing replacement) or something else like a ballast of some kind overheating (rexone not familiar at all with these fixtures)...
any insight would be appreciated. :smile:

Ziggy
02-22-2005, 09:43 PM
I had some of those do that and it was a transformer that starts to overheat. Sodium vapor lights I think they are.
In some cases it may be near the same cost to get replacement fixtures.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
02-22-2005, 09:43 PM
I got these outdoor lights around my building, the yellowish kind not the bright white ones. Some are on poles in the parking lot, some on the building (different type fixtures but same color lights). Problem is they cycle on and off (independently) all the time.
Is this a light bulb problem (needing replacement) or something else like a ballast of some kind overheating (rexone not familiar at all with these fixtures)...
any insight would be appreciated. :smile:
Can you determine if there is any pattern to the cycle? it seems odd that they would all be doing it. If you have an association or pay a common area maintanence fee, i'd check with them.

KACHINA KEN
02-22-2005, 09:44 PM
It can be a number of things unfortunately. Sometimes the elements that control the on and off function gets freaked out and they will react erratically to light from the other units causing them to go on and off at will. I dont believe the ballast is the problem because they typically go out all together when they are having problems. Same with the lamps. These are not my forte' as I am a show lighting guy but this is what I know about these from experience.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
02-22-2005, 09:46 PM
It can be a number of things unfortunately. Sometimes the elements that control the on and off function gets freaked out and they will react erratically to light from the other units causing them to go on and off at will. I dont believe the ballast is the problem because they typically go out all together when they are having problems. Same with the lamps. These are not my forte' as I am a show lighting guy but this is what I know about these from experience.
Kachina- how much longer are you going to be in seattle?

Jordy
02-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Are they all on one photo-electric eye or do they each have one of their own? Is it the same lights all the time or do they rotate? Ballasts are a good possiblity, but at the same time, if you're getting power interrupted, they have a period of time that they need to restrike the bulb. I'd check power supply first, look for obvious problems, like bad connections, check out the eye(s) as they will go bad, and then look at changing out major components. ;) :D

Rexone
02-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Can you determine if there is any pattern to the cycle? it seems odd that they would all be doing it. If you have an association or pay a common area maintanence fee, i'd check with them.
Doesn't seem to be any regular pattern to them. They all do it independently of each other. The ones on the poles have been doing it for years now but the one on the building just started doing it last week. Seperate circuits building vs the poles. Common area maintenence guy said go pound sand, not their problem...figures for $450 mo for parking lot sweeping and gardner who shows up about every month for a mow and blow.
Thanx guys

Rexone
02-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Are they all on one photo-electric eye or do they each have one of their own? Is it the same lights all the time or do they rotate? Ballasts are a good possiblity, but at the same time, if you're getting power interrupted, they have a period of time that they need to restrike the bulb. I'd check power supply first, look for obvious problems, like bad connections, check out the eye(s) as they will go bad, and then look at changing out major components. ;) :D
One on building is on a photo eye. Ones on poles are on a time clock. All lights do this random and independently of each other.

Rexone
02-22-2005, 09:56 PM
So you think it's not the bulbs for sure and either ballasts or something else? Bulbs light up fine, go through their warm up routine where they start dim and get brighter, then just shut off and repeat cycle, again with no set pattern. Sometimes they're on for a minute, sometimes longer, never too long though.

Jordy
02-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Maybe Topless messed with them so she can get some sleep in her trailer. She was complaining about the bright lights when we were in Pomona. ;)
Seriously though, typically if the bulbs will light up they're good. The ballasts are the wear parts on that kind of stuff, especially if they're old.

Rexone
02-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Maybe Topless messed with them so she can get some sleep in her trailer. She was complaining about the bright lights when we were in Pomona. ;)
Seriously though, typically if the bulbs will light up they're good. The ballasts are the wear parts on that kind of stuff, especially if they're old.
That aint it Jordy we put plywood sheets over her windows so she'd be quiet.
They're not that old. (well compared to me anyway). :hammerhea

Dr. Eagle
02-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Yep, those are most likely a sodium vapor light fixture. The ballasts overheat and they cycle on and off. Most likely need a ballast replacement project.. or new fixtures.

C-2
02-22-2005, 10:18 PM
My reefkeeping expereinces have taught me...
Sodium lights will flicker or cucle on/off when overheated or before the end of the bulb life.
Metal Halide (MH) will cycle on/off when an incorrect ballast is used, or there is a variance in the voltage.
Do the lights go out when the chop shop is in full operation? :D

NorCal Gameshow
02-22-2005, 10:18 PM
when some types of bulbs get to towards the end of their life they draw more voltage and overheat the ballast...

ROZ
02-22-2005, 10:23 PM
A good way to test the cirtuit is to grab the white wire in one hand, the black wire in the other hand, and have a good friend turn the breaker on... No need to wait until after the rain either... :220v: :D

Rexone
02-22-2005, 10:25 PM
when some types of bulbs get to towards the end of their life they draw more voltage and overheat the ballast...
Ok guys thanx, I think I will get a bulb and try in just one first to see if it cures the problem before I go replacing all the ballasts or fixtures.

Rexone
02-22-2005, 10:26 PM
A good way to test the cirtuit is to grab the white wire in one hand, the black wire in the other hand, and have a good friend turn the breaker on... No need to wait until after the rain either... :220v: :D
Ok thanks I'll try that in the AM if not raining.

superdave013
02-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Ok guys thanx, I think I will get a bulb and try in just one first to see if it cures the problem before I go replacing all the ballasts or fixtures.
And My reefkeeping expereinces have taught me...
Those high pressure sodium bulbs were about 75 bucks a shot. And that was years ago.

ROZ
02-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Ok thanks I'll try that in the AM if not raining.
Actually, I'm surprised Tom or Hoolie haven't offered solutions yet....
I think think Zig and Norcalgameshow are right to think bulb replacement. Parking lot services replace the lamp assembly on a couple units in our lot and on our building. The sysmptoms were much like you described...

Rexone
02-22-2005, 10:32 PM
And My reefkeeping expereinces have taught me...
Those high pressure sodium bulbs were about 75 bucks a shot. And that was years ago.
holyeeeshit.
ahh. dark is good. maybe some droplights hanging from the poles would accent topless's trailer decor.
:smile:

Dr. Eagle
02-22-2005, 10:36 PM
holyeeeshit.
ahh. dark is good. maybe some droplights hanging from the poles would accent topless's trailer decor.
:smile:
How about a couple thousand watts of subwoofers, music and disco sounds to go with the light show...? :squiggle: Sounds like it might be cheaper. :D

Rexone
02-22-2005, 10:38 PM
How about a couple thousand watts of subwoofers, music and disco sounds to go with the light show...? :squiggle: Sounds like it might be cheaper. :D
I think I might just fix one and blow the hell out of the other 2 with my 12 ga and call it good. :smile:

Dr. Eagle
02-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I think I might just fix one and blow the hell out of the other 2 with my 12 ga and call it good. :smile:
That certainly would customize them... :220v:

Rexone
02-22-2005, 10:42 PM
That certainly would customize them... :220v:
I think it would really accent the whole complex with that ball-burnished look on the exterior of the fixtures.

Dr. Eagle
02-22-2005, 10:43 PM
I think it would really accent the whole complex with that ball-burnished look on the exterior of the fixtures.
I was going to say... shot peened to relieve stresses... :cool:

XtrmWakeborder
02-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Where i work we have 400w High pressure sodium bulbs "yellowish light" on our parking lot lights and when this happens most of the time its just the bulbs goings bad. I had to replace 11 of them last month, its a pain in the but when they come on and you put the lift away, and magically they just shut off when you go to back admire your work haha. Make sure to get the right base and voltage when u get a new one btw. Also Metal halides and Mercury vapors "whiter light" rarely do this unless they are paired with the wrong balast....ahh a topic where i can actually give some insight. And it only took almost 900 posts lol

Rexone
02-22-2005, 11:19 PM
ahh a topic where i can actually give some insight. And it only took almost 900 posts lol
Thanx. lmao. :D

cola
02-22-2005, 11:54 PM
If you can pick the bulbs up in Riverside you can put them on my account. Cost depending on lamp is in the $25-$40. 175-400 watt HPS are the size fixtures you have. It's been a long time since I was there.
Mike 909 380-9066

Rexone
02-23-2005, 12:10 AM
If you can pick the bulbs up in Riverside you can put them on my account. Cost depending on lamp is in the $25-$40. 175-400 watt HPS are the size fixtures you have. It's been a long time since I was there.
Mike 909 380-9066
Thanks Mike that might just work as I have an employee that lives in RS. I will pull a bulb to see what they are for sure (if it ever stops raining). Thanks

Jbb
02-23-2005, 01:46 AM
Just wait until you get the Acme electrical supply catalog....you know Mike, ..the one with all the nice pictures of bulbs in it...and pick some new ones...Catalog should be out ....any time now.... :D

JetBoatRich
02-23-2005, 06:01 AM
From what I have seen it almost always is the end of the life of the bulb :hammer2: do what you said, replace one (since they are not cheap) and test for a week, then do the rest.

Dr. Eagle
02-23-2005, 06:18 AM
From what I have seen it almost always is the end of the life of the bulb :hammer2: do what you said, replace one (since they are not cheap) and test for a week, then do the rest.
I still like the idea of shot peening the fixtures... for a truly custom look... :D

Sandbar Mike
02-23-2005, 07:59 AM
Hey Mike,
I'd say try the bulb replacment first, Definetly replace w Medal Hallide, Brighter Crisper light, If they don't work put them back in the box and take them back to Lowes or Home depot.
If they don't do the trick and you neeed an electrician, shoot me a PM, I live around the corner. We can trade services ;)