PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers and warranties

riverracerx
02-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned this one yet (It has been discussed at length over at RRX)
While at Howard on Monday Gene mentioned that Mercury will not warranty any boat that has mufflers installed on it. This is a problem for manufacturers because they cannot legally sell a boat now that does not pass the db test, so they must put them on. Now Merc wont back the new motor in the new boat because of possible water reversion or other back pressure problems. They did not give Gene an answer on what they could put on to solve the problem.
So what do you do for your new boat motors that have no warranty now?

Havasu Hangin'
02-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Don't buy a Merc?

superdave013
02-24-2005, 10:38 AM
that big hole in the center of your prop.... Use it.
I bet that's not what they wanted to hear.

Havasu_Dreamin
02-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Merc needs to figure something out or they may see a drop in engine sales out here.

Havasu Hangin'
02-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Merc needs to figure something out or they may see a drop in engine sales out here.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that GT (or Phaff) would not void a warranty because of mufflers.

Havasu_Dreamin
02-24-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that GT (or Phaff) would not void a warranty because of mufflers.
I agree.

RiverToysJas
02-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Superdave has the answer! ;)
Merc cannot blancket void the warrentee because of muffler installation. IF they can prove the muffler installation in some way caused the warrentee claim, then there might be an issue.
Who has actually been denied claims, and for what reason?
It been my experience that there is so much he said, she said involved with these Merc warrentee issues, but very little real world situations to back it up. Perhaps there is a real case here, if so, lets hear the details.
At one time people were saying any non-merc shifter/throttle caused warrentee problems.
RTJas :D

riverracerx
02-24-2005, 11:13 AM
This is coming directly from a boat manufacturer. Gene from Howard boats. He spoke directly with Merc who said they would not warranty the new motors if aftermarket mufflers were installed. This was also verified by Barry at Shockwave. I think it is something that no one has asked Merc about until now, so the cat is out of the bag. As of now, Merc has no resolution for the problem.

RiverToysJas
02-24-2005, 11:15 AM
This is coming directly from a boat manufacturer. Gene from Howard boats. He spoke directly with Merc who said they would not warranty the new motors if aftermarket mufflers were installed. This was also verified by Barry at Shockwave. I think it is something that no one has asked Merc about until now, so the cat is out of the bag. As of now, Merc has no resolution for the problem.
A trim pump goes bad, and they are not warrenteeing because of mufflers? I don't buy it.
The Merc warrentee is so short and motors so good, it really doesn't matter IMO anyway.
RTJas

bunny 166
02-24-2005, 11:17 AM
I am going to Pfaff at 12:30 today....I'll let you know what Gordy has to say :(

RiverToysJas
02-24-2005, 11:21 AM
I don't see a problem with going through the hub until the warrentee is up. If that's what it takes.
I know that couple MPH (if that) is important to some people though.

Havasu Hangin'
02-24-2005, 11:30 AM
A trim pump goes bad, and they are not warrenteeing because of mufflers? I don't buy it.
The Merc warrentee is so short and motors so good, it really doesn't matter IMO anyway.
RTJas
I think they are saying that if a motor comes in with reversion damage, mufflers would void the warranty.

RiverToysJas
02-24-2005, 11:32 AM
I think they are saying that if a motor comes in with reversion damage, mufflers would void the warranty.
If you don't have the proper flaps installed you're in the same situation.
RTJas

Havasu Hangin'
02-24-2005, 11:33 AM
If you don't have the proper flaps installed you're in the same situation.
RTJas
You are a smart man, Mr. Toys.
:cool:

superdave013
02-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Merc prolly does not like seeing all those y pipes (or what ever they are called) sitting on the shelf at all these boat shops. I donno about Howard or Shockwave but the other boat manufacturers that I call on all have stacks of those suckers. So pretty much they are opening the box of a brand new engine and chagine the exhaust. I wouldn't warranty them either.
edit: I wouldn't warranty any water up in the heads type of problems.

ROZ
02-24-2005, 11:39 AM
You are a smart man, Mr. Toys.
:cool:
Great.... I hope you're ready for the backlash from this statement... :D

Havasu Hangin'
02-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Great.... I hope you're ready for the backlash from this statement... :D
Years...of backlash. :notam:
Actually, I don't think the HP525's are installed with "Y" pipes...through transom only.

Craig
02-24-2005, 12:04 PM
I went to the source and called Mercury in Oklahoma. They basically echoed what HH said. If a motor has damage and it can be attributed to installed mufflers, they will not honor the warranty.

phebus
02-24-2005, 12:28 PM
So, in other words, keep all stock parts, so if you have a warranty issue, the boat can be put back to stock prior to making a claim.

H20Advantage
02-24-2005, 12:57 PM
I am having the Hydrocore mufflers installed from Hydro Power (HPI inc.) on the new boat being built right now. Supposedly they have been tested and are the only ones approved by Mercury.
Offshoreonly.com has some threads on them if you do a search for "HPI inc".

RiverDave
02-24-2005, 03:56 PM
I don't see a problem with going through the hub until the warrentee is up. If that's what it takes.
I know that couple MPH (if that) is important to some people though.
When we bought the Nordic it had transom exhaust.. noticed exactly zero performance gain / loss by going through the prop. If there was any it was pretty negligeable.
RD

Kilrtoy
02-24-2005, 04:10 PM
I put a set of these on the back to solve the problem
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/111DSC00697.JPG

spectras only
02-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Boating with loud exhausts for 30 odd years , I'm quite
happy with my stealty twin engine boat with Y pipes.My
kid is bugging me though to put on the merc silent
choice kit that I have . :D My Spectra still got the
through transom exh with Rex's slip ins for a noise fix ;)

spectras only
02-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Hey Kilr , I hear those whackers from the distance as
well :argue: :rollside:

shadow
02-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Kilr,i've just been lurking lately for the most part and haven't had the chance to congradulat you and your wife.
Beautiful boat and great choice.Hope it brings you Hrs of enjoyment as i'm sure it will.Wish i could afford a cup of that Koolaide. :rollside:

77charger
02-24-2005, 05:54 PM
When we bought the Nordic it had transom exhaust.. noticed exactly zero performance gain / loss by going through the prop. If there was any it was pretty negligeable.
RD
I guess ol RD wont have to worry about noise tickets in parker this summer :boxed: :boxed:
I myself have the thru hub on my boat i like the quiet after years of having headers on a jet and part time driving a race boat.My boat only has a 350 mag so speed aint an issue with me if want to go fast very quickly i'll drive the flatbottom below

bunny 166
02-24-2005, 07:18 PM
You're not on a limb....talked to Gordy this afternoon--he said Pfaff would cover it :wink: You're a smart man, HH

Havasu Hangin'
02-24-2005, 07:26 PM
You're a smart man, HH
I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day. :messedup:
:wink:
PS- glad Gordy is taking care of you guys...they run a great shop.

Holland
02-24-2005, 07:28 PM
I am having the Hydrocore mufflers installed from Hydro Power (HPI inc.) on the new boat being built right now. Supposedly they have been tested and are the only ones approved by Mercury.
Offshoreonly.com has some threads on them if you do a search for "HPI inc".
I am doing the same... and I heard the same....
merc will warranty with these.

Havasu Cig
02-24-2005, 08:20 PM
We are on the same page. I will either be rolling by with the O/B or the pontoon boat watching the noise testing going on. ;)