PDA

View Full Version : Muffler enforcement

Toxic Behavior
02-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Does anybody have any info or opinion on how agressively they will enforce the noise level or muffler requirements in Havasu?
:confused:

Racer277
02-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I think everyone has opinions.
Here are a few (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71565)

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-24-2005, 11:09 AM
I think it will be pretty bad this year. Weren't they trying to enforce it before the law. or at least getting a head start on it. :idea: ;)

Toxic Behavior
02-24-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm trying to decide on whether to add mufflers or just chance it.

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-24-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm trying to decide on whether to add mufflers or just chance it.
don't chance it. it will save you alot of headaches if you just do it. :smile:

riverracerx
02-24-2005, 11:16 AM
If you are going to Havasu it may not be a case of "chancing it" as most likely they will do a visual inspection on your boat as you enter the launch ramps.
No muff, no launch.
I can't wait to see who pulls out a gun at the Marina on Memorial Day when their whole family is in the boat and ready to launch, then they get denied. There is going to be bloodshed! :hammer2:

Havasu_Dreamin
02-24-2005, 11:20 AM
No one really knows for sure. But the fact of the matter is that you can be cited for the CA law anywhere on the lake by a CA LEO. Even if your boat is registered in AZ. Does that mean they will be running down every boat and testing? I seriously doubt it. But they can if they choose to. Sadly, the law appears to be here to stay. From what I understand the first fine is $250 and each successive fine increases after that. The rangers at Windsor did tell a friend of mine last year that they will be testing this season.

moneypit
02-24-2005, 11:20 AM
From what I understand, they dont have the ability to enforce. Not enough bodies... Boatcop?

Toxic Behavior
02-24-2005, 11:27 AM
I think the Marina will be a problem, but I don't launch from there. I am more concerned about out on the lake and in the channel

Racer277
02-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Well if you're not sure,
check this out (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53387&page=1&pp=25&highlight=marina+noise+ticket)

Toxic Behavior
02-24-2005, 11:36 AM
I know, but I like the way the boat sounds and performs without the mufflers. Just trying to figure if they will actively enforce it with so many boats without mufflers out there.

Essex_Sterling
02-24-2005, 11:42 AM
I think the Marina will be a problem, but I don't launch from there.
They most certainly will be. But this is not the right attitude to take, IMHO.
What the marina is doing is wrong, plain and simple! And this will have a ripple effect on every other ramp in town. The marina has the best launch facility and those boats that are leagal per the AZ law should not be denied launching rights. The State Land Department, the lease holder for the Marina because they, the Marina, do not own the land even though they claim they do, has even sent them letters saying that the determination of what boats are loud our not should be left in the handss of Law Enforcement Agencies. the marina is a concessionaire residing on State owned land, not private property! Everyone should be pissed about this and be willing to fight against it.

Squirtin Thunder
02-24-2005, 11:48 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2311keepthepower.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2311hflclampondia.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2311application1.png

Toxic Behavior
02-24-2005, 11:58 AM
I'll check this out, thanks for the info

riverroyal
02-24-2005, 06:18 PM
what if you have inline baffles?,,,,,,by the way Im waiting,just dont use the 2 launch ramps everyones worried about

Ziggy
02-24-2005, 06:27 PM
. The rangers at Windsor did tell a friend of mine last year that they will be testing this season.
I read a post somewhere just a day or two ago that said the rangers at Windsor told them they wouldn't be hassling people, nor do they have the man power or the equipment to do so........

Havasu_Dreamin
02-25-2005, 08:50 AM
I read a post somewhere just a day or two ago that said the rangers at Windsor told them they wouldn't be hassling people, nor do they have the man power or the equipment to do so........
One of the members on here has a range at Windosr on tape stating they do have a decibel meter and they do intend on testing this year. Now, this statement was caught late last year and things may have changed, but they do have the equipment to do the testing.

Essex502
02-26-2005, 04:38 PM
One of the members on here has a range at Windosr on tape stating they do have a decibel meter and they do intend on testing this year. Now, this statement was caught late last year and things may have changed, but they do have the equipment to do the testing.
That be me. I talked to the rangers while I had the videocamera pointing downwards and got them on tape stating that they would be starting to check for noise. Warnings at first and then if that doens't work to get people's attention then citations. They have the equipment. I saw it in use. This was last year.

Boatcop
02-27-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm still not sure how Windsor can even enforce this. Sure they can turn people away for "No Mufflers" by a quick inspection at the ramp, but there's no way they can do a 50' test, since the boat would have to be already launched and out on the lake.

Havasu Cig
02-27-2005, 09:39 AM
I was thinking the same thing BC, but they did tell me at the end of last year they would be testing.
I have O/B's now and a pontoon so I can just watch the show and don't have to participate now. I did not buy a house out there, boats ect to have to go through this $hit. It is supposed to be a relaxing experience and since the Marina started their BS it has been anything but that. my02.

Essex502
02-28-2005, 07:40 AM
I'm still not sure how Windsor can even enforce this. Sure they can turn people away for "No Mufflers" by a quick inspection at the ramp, but there's no way they can do a 50' test, since the boat would have to be already launched and out on the lake.
What the rangers at Windsor were doing was standing on the concrete "point" to the left of the south ramp (as you face the water) and taking readings on the boats as they were being launched. They said they would be giving warnings on the boats that were too loud. The estimated 50' distance would also be in doubt as its very hard to get and good estimate with the traffic at that spot. I have them on videotape doing the testing and the discussion with one of the rangers on the issue. I have his name (will remain confidential) and he "monitors" but doesn't post on this board. Nice chap and very helpful.

That Guy
02-28-2005, 11:35 AM
The way bigger worry to me is that it gives you another reason to be pulled over. I like the loud boats as much as anyone else, but I don't want to be stopped initially for noise and then have them find other problems. I am afraid this is real and will be enforced at some level.......