PDA

View Full Version : Magic Deck Boat Guys.......

rvrhlic
02-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Has anyone installed mufflers on their boat? If so, what did you end up going with. I have been looking at a bunch but not sure what would work with the swim step.
thanks
rvr

OutCole'd
02-24-2005, 04:01 PM
There are a bunch of threads on this. Do a search on Mufflers.
For the peeps running a 496, I would go with the Eddie XL Clamp ons. The will clear the swim step and get the sound down with minimal rpm loss. Plus there cheap, $150.00
I read your going with the Raylar set up. Since your putting out more ponies, I would guess the sound will get up there also. I like the Gibson power curves so far. Seem to work good with the 525 & very ltlle rpm drop. My only concern is reversion. I wish I could get a diffinitive answer on this. Are the OK or not???

Buster
02-24-2005, 04:05 PM
There are a bunch of threads on this. Do a search on Mufflers.
For the peeps running a 496, I would go with the Eddie XL Clamp ons. The will clear the swim step and get the sound down with minimal rpm loss. Plus there cheap, $150.00
I read your going with the Raylar set up. Since your putting out more ponies, I would guess the sound will get up there also. I like the Gibson power curves so far. Seem to work good with the 525 & very ltlle rpm drop. My only concern is reversion. I wish I could get a diffinitive answer on this. Are the OK or not???
Hey OC, I took a bunch of pic's last weekend for you as requested. I will upload them as soon as I can find the damm USB cable for my camera. :confused:

OutCole'd
02-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey OC, I took a bunch of pic's last weekend for you as requested. I will upload them as soon as I can find the damm USB cable for my camera. :confused:
That would be great, do you have any external steering on your boat.
Thanks.

JB in so cal
02-24-2005, 04:12 PM
I had Clu throw some internal baffles on last year. I never did a before/after test, but it sure isn't as loud as it used to be. Still winds out to about 5100, as well.
Now, if I get a taling to by Havasu's finest, I'll re evaluate.

Not So Fast
02-24-2005, 04:14 PM
I e-mailed Shadow about how much more noisy his boat was with the RayLar and he didn't think there was a significant difference, I too will go Eddie clamp-ons but only when I'm forced to. Now we have to worry about this business that Mercury wont honor any warranty if you have mufflers installed, what a big bunch of crap!! NSF :2purples: :2purples:

mikefd024
02-24-2005, 05:10 PM
How fast are these Magics doing with the 496 ho or just the 496???

Buster
02-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Mine has a HO and in the November Poker Run we (Me and my son) were running right at 69mph @ 5300.
This is windy as hell in a deckboat though...

JB in so cal
02-24-2005, 05:22 PM
If I'm alone (what deck boat goes out with one person?) or with another person nad 1/2 gas, it'll do right about 70; throw a half-dozen people, full cooler, full tanks, food, blah, blah...solid 60 to 65 top end.
Trust me; anything above 60 in a deck boat is tear-inducing.

Buster
02-24-2005, 05:25 PM
If I'm alone (what deck boat goes out with one person?) or with another person nad 1/2 gas, it'll do right about 70; throw a half-dozen people, full cooler, full tanks, food, blah, blah...solid 60 to 65 top end.
Trust me; anything above 60 in a deck boat is tear-inducing.
:D LMAO.. JB.. That is the truth.. Hell the ice chest alone, when full, has to scrub 5 off...

JB in so cal
02-24-2005, 05:53 PM
:D LMAO.. JB.. That is the truth.. Hell the ice chest alone, when full, has to scrub 5 off...
This off season, I installed a divider; splits it in two. I also put some insulation on the motor-side of the cooler and on the under side of the seat. At least I won't burn through as much ice!!!!!!

rvrhlic
02-24-2005, 06:00 PM
I know there have been a lot of threads on this but wanted to see what the deckboat guys were doing becasue of the clearance. I know that both Teague and Magic are puching those Northstar mufflers. Aaron recommends the GGB mufflers. Of Course Rex recomends the Rexmar mufflers, I am just rying to figure out what everybody is doing and make an educated decision.

JB in so cal
02-24-2005, 06:03 PM
I know there have been a lot of threads on this but wanted to see what the deckboat guys were doing becasue of the clearance. I know that both Teague and Magic are puching those Northstar mufflers. Aaron recommends the GGB mufflers. Of Course Rex recomends the Rexmar mufflers, I am just rying to figure out what everybody is doing and make an educated decision.
Because of the angle of the swimstep-very top inch or so of the flange-and the bend in it, the Rex's I got didn't fit - this was back in early October.

Buster
02-24-2005, 06:08 PM
This off season, I installed a divider; splits it in two. I also put some insulation on the motor-side of the cooler and on the under side of the seat. At least I won't burn through as much ice!!!!!!
That is a great idea. I have been stuffing orange life jackets in there to save the space. I will look into this next time I am out. :wink:

riverroyal
02-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Im not gonna do anything until summer,but it will either be the baffles or the Eddie ones.....I dont know how fast the boat goes,the family is always aboard and at about 55 its plenty fast,a 40 pound kid in a 50mph wind storm isnt real safe,I dont think.....plus I have to tell the wife to slow down cause my beer is being sucked out of the can :messedup:

riverroyal
02-24-2005, 06:11 PM
forgot that part

JB in so cal
02-24-2005, 06:18 PM
I don't see a deck boat anywhere... :D

OutCole'd
02-24-2005, 08:57 PM
I don't see a deck boat anywhere... :D
Isn't that part of the deal? If you own a Magic Deck, a pic has to be in either your sig or avatar??? :D

ClownRoyal
02-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Magic is pushing IMCO gatlin flange-mounts.

OutCole'd
02-24-2005, 09:04 PM
JB, Can you post some pics of your insulation installation? :D I split my ice chest also, but go through way too much ice.

Mandelon
02-24-2005, 09:05 PM
I can trade you for a nice quiet exhaust below the water line Lavey..... :wink:

rvrhlic
02-24-2005, 09:51 PM
I can trade you for a nice quiet exhaust below the water line Lavey..... :wink:
I will kick that one around... By the way.... I still have a key to your boat! Hope I don't find it in the channel one day unattended, I may have to move it! :jawdrop:

rvrhlic
02-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Magic is pushing IMCO gatlin flange-mounts.
When i talked to Teague about those today they said that those would not pass the test that is why the weren't in the ***boat test.

LAPII
02-24-2005, 10:34 PM
JB is it possible to see a pic of how you divided the ice chest, was tryin to figure out the cleanest set up on how to accomplish dividing the chest up.

caroftheweek
02-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Hey There:
I finally registered, so now i can participate and not just read. We have a 2004 Magic Deck with a 496HO and in November, we had Clu install "their" mufflers. They were cheap but seem to be effective. With 2 full tanks of fuel and 2 people aboard at new year's we were able to run ~67mph. They are considerably quieter and they are inserts. I don't remember what rpm's we were running. It sucks but what are we going to do?
Ryan

JB in so cal
02-25-2005, 07:12 AM
JB is it possible to see a pic of how you divided the ice chest, was tryin to figure out the cleanest set up on how to accomplish dividing the chest up.
Sorry. I don't have pics.
I took white cutting board material - (lycan??), made a template to fit - As you look down into the cooler, I divided about 2/3 of the opening so I can still get stuff under to the right.
I cut some 1/2" strips about 3" long and epoxied them in a line on one side of where I wanted the divider - I used 2 strips on the bottom and 2 on each vertical side of the cooler. Once they dried, I inserted the cut piece of board hard up against the strips and installed more strips on the other side of the board and epoxied them. Prior to installing the board, I pre drilled drain holes to the bottom edge.
I can't remove this system, but I have yet to put a body or something in there that big, so I think I can get by...

JB in so cal
02-25-2005, 07:22 AM
JB, Can you post some pics of your insulation installation? :D I split my ice chest also, but go through way too much ice.
OC'd, again no pics.
I used doubled lined motor compartment insulation-about 3/8" to 1/2" thick on the motor side-I went side to side for that-I installed it an inch or two below the level of the cooler, so you can't really see it. On the under side of the bench, I used a piece smaller than the opening of the cooler so the bench can slide. I think there's more natural insulation from the upholstery, so the heat loss is mostly out the back side. Spray adhesive works perfect.

OutCole'd
02-25-2005, 07:50 AM
OC'd, again no pics.
I used doubled lined motor compartment insulation-about 3/8" to 1/2" thick on the motor side-I went side to side for that-I installed it an inch or two below the level of the cooler, so you can't really see it. On the under side of the bench, I used a piece smaller than the opening of the cooler so the bench can slide. I think there's more natural insulation from the upholstery, so the heat loss is mostly out the back side. Spray adhesive works perfect.
JB again, what good are you??? :D :D What is doubled lined engine compartmen insulation? Where do you get it? At the doubled lined engine compartment insulation store?????

JB in so cal
02-25-2005, 07:54 AM
JB again, what good are you??? :D :D What is doubled lined engine compartmen insulation? Where do you get it? At the doubled lined engine compartment insulation store?????
That's just about enough out of you...
Must I do everything? It looks kind of like 1/2" foam with thin foil on both sides. You could also use the stauff they sell in RV supply stores that people use to cover windows from the inside.
Man. Tough room!

OutCole'd
02-25-2005, 07:57 AM
That's just about enough out of you...
Must I do everything? It looks kind of like 1/2" foam with thin foil on both sides. You could also use the stauff they sell in RV supply stores that people use to cover windows from the inside.
Man. Tough room!
Now that's what i'm talking about.
Thanks. ;)