PDA

View Full Version : Home Networking

Outnumbered
02-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Just got another computer. Hooked the two together using a Cat6 Ethernet cable. Went thru the network setup wizarrd. No mater what I do the puter's telling me the cable is not connected. Is a Cat6 Ethernet cable the wrong one? Looks just like Cat5 and plugs in the same. Gal at BestBuy says that Cat6 is better because its faster. I have never hooked two machines together and really don't know WTF I am doing but it seems like it shoud be plug and play--easy.
Any ideas???
Thanks
OL

Tom Brown
02-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Is a Cat6 Ethernet cable the wrong one?
No. Cat 6 will work but you don't need it.
The problem is that you need a CROSSOVER cable. Cat 5 or Cat5e is plenty good enough and the speed between any of the cables will be EXACTLY THE SAME.

Phat Matt
02-24-2005, 10:24 PM
The problem is that you need a CROSSOVER cable. Cat 5 or Cat5e is plenty good enough and the speed between any of the cables will be EXACTLY THE SAME.
or a hub.

rvrhlic
02-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Just got another computer. Hooked the two together using a Cat6 Ethernet cable. Went thru the network setup wizarrd. No mater what I do the puter's telling me the cable is not connected. Is a Cat6 Ethernet cable the wrong one? Looks just like Cat5 and plugs in the same. Gal at BestBuy says that Cat6 is better because its faster. I have never hooked two machines together and really don't know WTF I am doing but it seems like it shoud be plug and play--easy.
Any ideas???
Thanks
OL
You can't just hook 2 computer together and have it work. Idealy you should go through a router but a switch will work fine. I am not sure about the cat6 cable, but you will not really see a difference over cat5 unless you have a gigabit connection in that case you can use cat5e.

locogringo
02-24-2005, 10:25 PM
I know what the problem is that you are having. Follow the following steps and it should be resolved...
1. Disconnect Cat6 cable from both computers.
2. Acquire the Felis catus or F. domesticus and have it go and get 5 more of said kind
3. While this may seem to take a considerable amount of time, the key is in developing patience
4. When Felis catus or F. domesticus returns with 5 more, then plug one of their tails into the E-port of one computer, string the remaining five together and with the other tail on the other end, plug that in. This is a TRUE CAT6 cable not the generic kind that Circuit City or such has.
Any further problems, refer to owner's manual

Tom Brown
02-24-2005, 10:25 PM
You can't just hook 2 computer together and have it work.
Yes you can, with a crossover cable or a hub, as Matt suggests. :cool:

Outnumbered
02-24-2005, 10:26 PM
OK, I was thinking you just hooked them together. What is the easiest way to do this? What exacty is a hub? Where and how much does it cost? Should I just do a wireless thing? I am clueless to this stuff.
Thanks

Phat Matt
02-24-2005, 10:27 PM
OK, I was thinking you just hooked them together. What is the easiest way to do this? What exacty is a hub? Where and how much does it cost? Should I just do a wireless thing? I am clueless to this stuff.
Thanks
do you have high speed access? is one a laptop?

Outnumbered
02-24-2005, 10:28 PM
I know what the problem is that you are having. Follow the following steps and it should be resolved...
1. Disconnect Cat6 cable from both computers.
2. Acquire the Felis catus or F. domesticus and have it go and get 5 more of said kind
3. While this may seem to take a considerable amount of time, the key is in developing patience
4. When Felis catus or F. domesticus returns with 5 more, then plug one of their tails into the E-port of one computer, string the remaining five together and with the other tail on the other end, plug that in. This is a TRUE CAT6 cable not the generic kind that Circuit City or such has.
Any further problems, refer to owner's manual
WTF????

locogringo
02-24-2005, 10:28 PM
would you like my opinion again.. i really am not that immature once you get to know me... ;)

Tom Brown
02-24-2005, 10:29 PM
WTF????
Have another drink and it will make more sense.

Outnumbered
02-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Both desktops in same home office. Both have built in Ethernet cards. Cable modem is running thru USB so that the Ethernet is open for the CAt cable.

locogringo
02-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Have another drink and it will make more sense.
Thank you Sir Tom. I thought I made perfect sense

Phat Matt
02-24-2005, 10:32 PM
You could get a broadband router that will connect your pc's together and share your internet connection all through the cat5 cable.

Tom Brown
02-24-2005, 10:35 PM
You could get a broadband router that will connect your pc's together and share your internet connection all through the cat5 cable.
That's how I'd do it. :cool:

locogringo
02-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Old Lavey;
This is how I do it in our house. Has worked fine for me.
Daniel

moneypit
Use duct tape. It will work dude

Phat Matt
This would work for $60.
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/4625/4625347_ra.jpg
netgear switch (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384470326&skuId=4625347&type=product)

Outnumbered
02-24-2005, 10:38 PM
What brand/model should I get and will it work with my Motorola Cable modem?
Man the gal at BestBuy had no fukcing clue.
Thanks for the help.
OL

Phat Matt
02-24-2005, 10:39 PM
What brand/model should I get and will it work with my Motorola Cable modem?
Man the gal at BestBuy had no fukcing clue.
Thanks for the help.
OL
ummmmmmmm. Look up. :D

Outnumbered
02-24-2005, 10:39 PM
This would work for $60.
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/4625/4625347_ra.jpg
netgear switch (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384470326&skuId=4625347&type=product)
Got it, thanks. So this thing replaces the cable modem or works with it?
OL

Phat Matt
02-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Got it, thanks. So this thing replaces the cable modem or works with it?
OL
works with it. cable from wall to cable modem. cat5 cable from modem to switch. cat5 cable from each pc to switch. run software. done.

Outnumbered
02-24-2005, 10:42 PM
One more question. What cables do I need with this router? Standard or cross-over CAt?

Tom Brown
02-24-2005, 10:44 PM
cat5 cable from modem to switch. cat5 cable from each pc to switch.
... or Cat 5e, or Cat6.

Outnumbered
Regular or cross-over type?

Tom Brown
Regular.
You want to know how long and what color best matches your decor? :D

canuck1
duct tape and a hammer will fix it

Phat Matt
02-24-2005, 10:45 PM
regular

Phat Matt
02-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Regular.
You want to know how long and what color best matches your decor? :D
I would go with blue, but everyone uses blue and you don't want to be a lost sheep following the herd. :D

Outnumbered
02-24-2005, 10:47 PM
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick help. I'll be heading down there in the AM.
OL

Phat Matt
02-24-2005, 10:49 PM
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick help. I'll be heading down there in the AM.
OL
You're welcome. Are you going to Home Depot for the hammer, or Best Buy for the router?
And don't forget, if you plug the cables in wrong your pc's will spontaneously combust and the sun will swallow the earth. :D

Tom Brown
02-24-2005, 10:49 PM
I would go with blue, but everyone uses blue and you don't want to be a lost sheep following the herd. :D
Hey Matt, I take it you work in the IT industry.
How expensive is red cable down there?
My suppliers charge extra for red. I'm serious.
330m of red cat 5e - $225
330m of any other color of cat 5e - $90 http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/html/emoticons/headscratch.gif
I always use red when I make a crossover cable.

Phat Matt
02-24-2005, 10:50 PM
330m of any other color of cat 5e - $90 http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/html/emoticons/headscratch.gif
I'm not in the IT industry, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

Phat Matt
02-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Seriously though, I've always been pretty good with computers. All the way back to my vic 20 days. I just like to know things and figure them out for myself.
http://www.zianet.com/kromeke/pastcomp/flea/vic20.jpg

Tom Brown
02-24-2005, 11:00 PM
:cool:
I used to work on a few models of Commodore Pets which the Vic 20 was loosely based on.
You couldn't beet the DataSette and TDK low noise tapes for quality data storage. :D

Phat Matt
02-24-2005, 11:09 PM
I used to work on a few models of Commodore Pets which the Vic 20 was loosely based on.
You couldn't beet the DataSette and TDK low noise tapes for quality data storage. :D
I was 6 years old when it was introduced. :D Maybe that's why pc's don't scare me.

PHX ATC
02-25-2005, 06:16 AM
OL,
Call your cable company (I'm guessing Cox) and ask them for support. They should be able to help you. If not, call the company that manufactures the router you bought and pick their brain. You'll probably have to make 4 phone calls to each during a 2 hour period, so be prepared. That's what I had to do, but, then again, I'm dumber than the average bear. :D

voodoomedman
02-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Get the router so that you have a centralized device to manage your traffic flow and avoid collisions. You will much less trouble in the long run. Since you don't know much about networking (not trying do disrespect)you will want this for the ease. Once you get past setting it up then you won't have to do much. If you try and hook the two together with a crossover you will probably have a hell of a time. Another benefit to a router is that you have a built in firewall to keep all the hackers out. You only need Cat5. Gal at BestBuy is not a network wiz. You really only need Cat6 if you going to run a network at Layer 3 or plan to upgrade your network tremendously in the future. Your router and\or switches would have to work at Layer3 as well to get the benefit. Save money and get Cat5.

INSman
02-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Thanks
OL
The "Geek Squad" that runs out of your local Best Buy are the ticket for the computer dipsticks like ourselves. Very reasonable, especially if you bought any of the networking stuff through them.
BC

Badger301
02-25-2005, 07:47 AM
works with it. cable from wall to cable modem. cat5 cable from modem to switch. cat5 cable from each pc to switch. run software. done.
DING DING DING DING DING We have a winner!!!! This is the way to do it. And use your standard Cat-5 or Cat -6 cables!!!! You'll be up in no time!!

Outnumbered
02-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks again for the help. Got the Netgear router and all is working well. Had some firewall issues with Norton but got it resolved--I think. How should I set up my firewall? Is the Netgear enough or should I use the Microsoft or Norton firewall?
Thanks
OL

BajaMike
02-28-2005, 02:08 PM
I always use red when I make a crossover cable.
Talk to Dilligaf...he sells that stuff....I can't imagine why red would cost more. :confused:

Dr. Eagle
02-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Or what used to be called a NULL Modem cable. The Tx and Rx are swapped between the ends of the cable.
A cheap hub would fix it right up... $20 bucks well spent.

gnarley
02-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Thanks again for the help. Got the Netgear router and all is working well. Had some firewall issues with Norton but got it resolved--I think. How should I set up my firewall? Is the Netgear enough or should I use the Microsoft or Norton firewall?
Thanks
OL
Once you have a real router with a firewall the others are just additional layers of software slowing you down. Once the the Router is set up turn off both the MS & Norton crap. If you want to see how secure you are test your connection @ https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 I would also suggest you check out the site for other features and suggestions

Bense468
02-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Wow....this thread is interesting LOL.
What are you trying to do? Just share high speed internet or actually network them, so you can do file/print sharing?
If you just want both of them to share internet connection, you are on the right track now. Cat5 cable is all you need. You have the router.
Once you have the PC online, and if you are running XP i suggest you download SP2 from HERE (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx) Run all other updates HERE (http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us)
Service Pack 2, has a built in firewall that works decent for most home computing. After you are done with the install, (takes a while) it will re-boot. When the PC comes back up, it will ask you if you want to enable the firewall. If you need to make exceptions to your firewall Click on Start- Settings- Control Panel- Windows Firewall-Exceptions Tab.

Dr. Eagle
02-28-2005, 09:54 PM
I hate to admit it... but I still have a fully functional C64, datasette and 1541 Disk Drive... :sqeyes:

Bense468
02-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Once you have a real router with a firewall the others are just additional layers of software slowing you down. Once the the Router is set up turn off both the MS & Norton crap. If you want to see how secure you are test your connection @ https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 I would also suggest you check out the site for other features and suggestions
Good site...My PC's passed with flying colors. (its my job, I should hope so)

Bense468
02-28-2005, 09:59 PM
I hate to admit it... but I still have a fully functional C64, datasette and 1541 Disk Drive... :sqeyes:
Why???

Dr. Eagle
02-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Why???
Cool Cheezy games... :D

Phat Matt
02-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Nice. I am going to dig out my old games and come over. :D

Dawn Patrol
02-28-2005, 10:02 PM
gnarley,
Nice tip!
Got rid of Norton Utilities & Antivirus and disabled Windows firewall. My XP Pro system (which runs thru a Netgear router) runs smoother & faster..
Thanks.

Outnumbered
02-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Wow....this thread is interesting LOL.
What are you trying to do? Just share high speed internet or actually network them, so you can do file/print sharing?
If you just want both of them to share internet connection, you are on the right track now. Cat5 cable is all you need. You have the router.
Once you have the PC online, and if you are running XP i suggest you download SP2 from HERE (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx) Run all other updates HERE (http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us)
Service Pack 2, has a built in firewall that works decent for most home computing. After you are done with the install, (takes a while) it will re-boot. When the PC comes back up, it will ask you if you want to enable the firewall. If you need to make exceptions to your firewall Click on Start- Settings- Control Panel- Windows Firewall-Exceptions Tab.
Actually trying to file share and share a cable modem connection. Printing is not an issue because I have an older HP laser on a serial auto switch (no USB hookups on the HP).
So I should shit-can the entire Norton firewall program or just de-activate the personal firewall. Both of my machines are already SP2 and fully updated.
Thanks

voodoomedman
03-01-2005, 06:56 AM
Actually trying to file share and share a cable modem connection. Printing is not an issue because I have an older HP laser on a serial auto switch (no USB hookups on the HP).
So I should shit-can the entire Norton firewall program or just de-activate the personal firewall. Both of my machines are already SP2 and fully updated.
Thanks
Do not rely on the Windows firewall. Follow the suggestion on the previous post. The windows firewall is ok but that is the first one that hackers are going to break. Windows also has so many security flaws. That is why they always have to have updates and it is also why there is a whole industry of software to help protect it such as Norton. Keep your norton. Go to the grc site mentioned above and check your security. If anyone wants a great firewall for free then go to www.zonealarm.com.

gnarley
03-01-2005, 07:50 AM
gnarley,
Nice tip!
Got rid of Norton Utilities & Antivirus and disabled Windows firewall. My XP Pro system (which runs thru a Netgear router) runs smoother & faster..
Thanks.
Don't run your system without the Anti-Virus! Either reinstall it or download this one, AVG Anti-Virus for free @ http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/ and it updates itself just like all the fee based subscription ones. THere aren't many people who are confident enough to run their system without Anti-Virus, you just don't know what might come in via email or on some website you can't trust.
AVG Free Edition is the well-known anti-virus protection tool. AVG Free is available free-of-charge to home users for the life of the product! Rapid virus database updates are available for the lifetime of the product, thereby providing the high-level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers. AVG Free is easy-to-use and will not slow your system down (low system resource requirements).
Highlights include:
Automatic update functionality
The AVG Resident Shield, which provides real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run
The AVG E-mail Scanner, which protects your e-mail
The AVG On-Demand Scanner, which allows the user to perform scheduled and manual tests
Free Virus Database Updates for the lifetime of the product
AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files
Great customer satisfaction!

gnarley
03-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks
I wouldn't run either of the two firewalls you mentioned, they take system resources away from other things! IMHO don't use them.
If you are trying to share the cable modem connection do that with the router, which is also your firewall. IF you can get an SMC Barricade it is a router, firewall and a print server meaning you can plug your printer into the Barricade's LPT port and everything prints through there without worrying about the printer being hooked up to a computer. Just remember this one does not have a USB port on it. :wink:
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=1&scid=&pid=858
Barricade™ is an all-in-one networking solution for home and small businesses. The Barricade™ has a built-in 4-port 10/100 Mbps dual-speed switch that lets you attach four local PCs. Along with the convenience of networking, you'll enjoy the advantages of broadband Internet access for up to 253 network users, a built-in print server, a WAN port, and an RS-232 communications port for fail-over dial-up or modem connections. Barricade™ also provides an Internet firewall and a NAT firewall with VPN pass-through that provides remote users with secure access to the corporate infrastructure while protecting against would-be hackers.

Bense468
03-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't run Norton...
I would run Trendmicro for Virus software.