PDA

View Full Version : Quadrajet rebuild, where to send?

avenger76
07-01-2001, 03:14 PM
I'm new to jet boating, and have recently purchased a 1976 avenger 171 jet with stock 455 olds. It has a Quadrajet, that isn't running very smoothly. I want to send it somewhere to get rebuilt correctly. Any suggestions? Thanks

timitunnel
07-01-2001, 06:53 PM
Polish up the quad put it on the mantle and buy a holley.

froggystyle
07-01-2001, 08:52 PM
Send it to MR460 to put on one of his 360 Ford anchors. (Keeps the fish out of the intake) He's right, buy a Holley.

Cas42
07-01-2001, 11:25 PM
Holleys are just the lazy man's carb http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
seriously, Q-Jets are really good carbs, they just need a lot more time to get the jets and metering rods set for a particular application. I went through the GM training for Q-Jets many moons ago and once they are set up, they'll do a great job for both performance and economy. The Edelbrocks/Carter/q-jets are the same way.
I just got through tweaking an Edelbrock 750 on my boat. I gained almost 300 rpms over a Holley and use less than 1/2 the amount of gas, can't beat that.

froggystyle
07-02-2001, 01:04 AM
I think Cas42 may just be an old wife, telling tales of the mythical Q-jet that works good. Actually, there was a guy named John Dixon of J&L Carburetor in NorCal who did a great job on the Rochester. It just always cost twice as much as to do a Holley, and now that Holley sells the spread bore version, I don't see any reason to abuse yourself with this particular whip.

Cas42
07-02-2001, 08:06 AM
well, there's a first. I've been called many things in my life but never and Old Wife http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif
When I bought my boat a couple of years ago, it had a Holley 780 DF on it. I ran the boat a couple of times, max rpm 3900. I changed to a 750 DF w/ vacuum secondaries at the beginning of last year. I gained 100 rpms after doing some rejetting based on some suggestions here. Since I know a 454 can turn more than 4K, I then replaced the ole Mallory dual point with Unilite, gained about 200 more rpms. This year, I obtained and rebuilt a pretty rough looking Edelbrock 750, traded the Holley 780 for it. When I first put it on, I noticed a big increase in off idle response but lost a little on the top end. After trying a couple of different jet/metering rod combos, I've now gained 300 rpms and I can now run a tank of gas for about 4 hours instead of 2.
My motor, except for a few items, is pretty much stock so the Edelbrock works just fine.

avenger76
07-02-2001, 09:20 AM
I can get a new rebuilt HOLLEY 650 CFM QUADRAJET replacement for $150.00. Is this a cost effective and quick way. To get back up and running for the summer?
Originally posted by froggystyle:
I think Cas42 may just be an old wife, telling tales of the mythical Q-jet that works good. Actually, there was a guy named John Dixon of J&L Carburetor in NorCal who did a great job on the Rochester. It just always cost twice as much as to do a Holley, and now that Holley sells the spread bore version, I don't see any reason to abuse yourself with this particular whip.

mister460
07-02-2001, 09:31 AM
Try Jet Performance. They're ad is in just about every car mag. I've heard they do pretty good work. I run a 850 Edelbrock Quad on my truck and it makes sick torque AND horsepower and gets 13 mpg. Not bad for a 460 built to the hilt in a '78 3/4 ton 4wd!