PDA

View Full Version : RV 31' class A or class C? Which one?

FASTERDAMITT
04-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Looking for some suggestions for an RV. Mostly local river and dune trips for five people. I found the class C with the overhead bunk works good for the extra sleepin space. Either RV will have a slide out or two. I see most C class does'nt have self levelers ect. My boat is about 6000# on trailer.
Towing performance?
Driving/handling?
Comfort while parked?
Thanks.

little rowe boat
04-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Class is more comfortable but harder to manuever,if you are going to spend alot of time in the RV go class A.

bohica
04-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Only problem with a class C for the dunes is the small holding tanks. Most class C's will only carry about 40-45 gallons of water. They are nice for the extra sleeping space in the overhead.

FASTERDAMITT
04-22-2006, 08:19 PM
How many showers is it good for?

YeLLowBoaT
04-22-2006, 08:22 PM
well if you have some 1 in there with you 1.
If you get wet, turn off, lather, turn on then shower off about 7.

bohica
04-22-2006, 08:27 PM
How many showers is it good for?
Depends on how many girls. With their long hair they can run thru the water pretty quick. Military showers are the ticket, should last you a weekend if you use it wisely.

andy01
04-22-2006, 10:36 PM
This will do what you want it to. Most C's won't pull 6K. Do your home work. You don't want to over load the motorhome. http://adcache.rvtraderonline.com/3/7/4/82680674.htm

FASTERDAMITT
04-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks.

spectratoad
04-23-2006, 06:20 AM
I have had both. Like was said above. If you are going to spend alot of time in it go class A. That is what I have now. If you are out more than say 5 days the water can be an issue. I have one of those 35gal plastic water barrels that I take with me if I ahve a trailer. I just fill it up before I go and then just get an RV water pump and transfer water when needed.

THOR
04-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Wait a second. If most Class C motorhomes are on at least a 1 ton chassis, how can they only pull 6K. That is less than half ton pickups.
This is much like buying a boat. If you need the extra queen sleeper up top, go class C. If not, I recommend Class A. My kids are really little and I wont go Class A for a while.

THOR
04-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Damnit Andy. You f'd me all up now.
Another question: How can I figure out the towing capacity from the GAWR, GVWR, and GCWR since they wont tell what the towing capacity is online. Why can it be as simple as a truck?

uvindex
04-23-2006, 06:39 AM
Wait a second. If most Class C motorhomes are on at least a 1 ton chassis, how can they only pull 6K. That is less than half ton pickups.That's because the weight of the coach body, water tank, batteries, appliances, holding tanks, and all the junk that make up a motorhome body weigh so much. :)
For example, take a 2500HD Silverado which has a 16,000-lb GCWR -- if the truck itself weighs 6000 lbs then you're able to pull a 10,000 lb trailer. Take that same chassis and load it up with a motorhome body so that the rig now weighs 10,000lbs -- now you can only pull a 6,000lb trailer otherwise you'll be exceeding the GCWR.

uvindex
04-23-2006, 06:50 AM
How can I figure out the towing capacity from the GAWR, GVWR, and GCWR since they wont tell what the towing capacity is online.GCWR minus GVWR equals the "maximum" trailer weight you can pull. However, to pull a trailer of this weight the rig needs the right hitch, of course -- you can't assume that the hitches that come on these rigs will always support the theoretical max trailer weight. You can be sure, however, that you won't be able to pull a trailer that weighs MORE than the number you get above (unless you want to exceed the GCWR which would be very bad idea).
Also, when you are inspecting a rig remember that the max tongue weight and trailer weight ratings are often on a sticker on or near the hitch itself. Good luck! :)

H20 Toie
04-23-2006, 06:52 AM
Class a is the only way to go, plus they normally have bigger brakes on them then a class c and better brakes is a good thing.

andy01
04-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Thor I believe your answer is above. Okay for all you Motorhome gurus. I looked at a LOT, A LOT! Most A's and C's only have a 3,500 pound towing cap. YES THAT IS NO LIE NOT A JOKE BUT TRUTH. Will they tow more? Hell yeah, will a RV salesman tell you, you only need a bigger hitch? Hell yeah. Will he cover you when you have a accident? Hell no.
Here's a story.......... a guy owns a ford truck, tows a fifth wheel trailer a little over his limit, what happens when he gets in a accident? (Or you with your rv that is over loaded by 1,500 pounds)?? He goes to jail for gross neglect, his insurance doesn't cover him for gross neglect, he looses his house, his wife leaves him, and he kills three people. All because he wanted to go riding with his family for the weekend.
I wanted a much smaller RV then I bought, but nothing could pull a 5,000 trailer and a bigger boat. You have to go all the way to a class a Diesel pusher, say no and prove me otherwise. The only stuff I found to pull my boat with were diesel pushers. Or the Class C "C4500" chassis from GM. Chris "sigemock" or something like that here on the boards has a new one. His will tow great also but it is on a commerical truck frame, not the normal 1 ton deal. Do your homework before you buy!!!! As you can see from above I am covered when towing.
Andy

riverroyal
04-23-2006, 08:51 AM
a very nice class C,cabover right?...its perfect,they just never use it.I think its 32ish feet.V10,nice graphics on the outside,slides etc,,,pm me if you want,its in san marcos,north san diego

OCMerrill
04-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Majority of all Class C's built from 1998 to present are on the E-450 chassis. This is because Ford dominated the GVWR and GCWR for years. We have a 31' C on an E-450. 14,050 GVWR and 20K GCWR which means in all reality I can tow the difference or just under 6K and be within limits. The other issue is most all C's have a 3,500# hitch requiring upgrades to even get to the chassis capacity.
That said...we added an additional water tank and now have over 80 gallons. I don't have a slide out so I can afford the extra weight and be within. Being within capacity for some reason doesent apply to rigs I see at Glamis towing 26' enclosed trailers way over weight. I dont advise it but I see it all the time.
Look at the Endura, Seneca, and others built on the Chevy Kodiak chassis. Here The GCWR is a bit higher, the coach a bit bigger (if you want that) and the chassis more purpose built for the weight.
There are a few mfg using the F-700 ford chassis but most are garage type class C's. In the ford you can get a 300 hp cat.
Join Rvnet.com and go into the class C forum. Search and read away. I have been a member there for years.

FASTERDAMITT
04-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Wow, price just went up from 69k to over 100k just chattin on Hot Boat forum. That's what we're here for though.

THOR
04-23-2006, 10:45 AM
:cry:

Boa1277
04-23-2006, 06:38 PM
The Class C with the Diesel motor are nice they have alot more power than a Class A when you compare 31footers, besides that they get much better mileage.. More torque, better mileage makes towing much nicer. Good Luck.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
04-23-2006, 06:54 PM
I have had both and the A is the only way to go. The C will get stuck every time in the dunes. A is way more comfortable.

riverroyal
04-23-2006, 07:20 PM
neighbors is a 04,8500 miles,dutchman class C.V10,,no price yet,but cheappppp,,32 ft

JB in so cal
04-23-2006, 07:21 PM
neighbors is a 04,8500 miles,dutchman class C.V10,,no price yet,but cheappppp,,32 ft
Buy it! Guest House :rollside:

JetBoatRich
04-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Buy it! Guest House :rollside:
That is what my Mother IN-Law thinks our new Diesel Pusher is for :mad:

acatitude
04-23-2006, 07:32 PM
no comparison go class a. bigger more room bigger holding tanks more storage as long as you get a basement model which I think they all are now a days . my 32 ft A with 454 pulled my 26 howord like it wasnt even there and the mileage was no worse then on my burb small block.
If your in calif remember they have a 65 ft limit. I was at 641/2 feet all together with the 32'

FASTERDAMITT
04-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Test drove a few totay. Going class A. Most likely a 05 32'. The C had NO passenger leg room! Anyone want to sell a newer class A with a slide?