PDA

View Full Version : update on Topock & Cr6 contamination

Not So Fast
02-26-2005, 01:32 PM
I,m pleased that most all of the replies and posts to this thread indicated your concerns on this problem, except of course Mr. Sleekjet and Mr. Seadog who believe in the fairy God mother and that big business has our best interests at heart and would never put us in danger for the sake of money ( does Enron ring a bell).
But enough on these guys. what I have been doing is taliking to Kristy Kilgore at ADEQ who is very directly involved in this in spite of what one of these guys said. She has indicated in quite a long email that this has been put on the fast track by DTSC and they have told PG&E to step this up big time. I wont bore you guys with the whole transcript but she stated that myself and everyone of us should begin contacting who ever we can to be heard. The e-mail of Dept. of Toxic Substance Control is- public represenative, Mona Arteaga ph # 714-484-5416 (marteaga@dtsc.ca.gov), project manager , Norman Shopay ph# 510-540-3943 nshopay@dtsc.ca.gov) They are the lead agency on this project! As Kristy said the more noise they hear THE BETTER, of course unless you live on planet "everythings gonna be OK" as some people do. Maybe if the noise was loud enough the problem in Moab would start getting better but one hill at a time. Please don't reply Mr. Seadog and Mr. Sleekjet, youve said enough. Thanks to every one else who is concerned!!! NSF :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

Phat Matt
02-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Can they do anything about the pee water in the channel? ;)

Squirtin Thunder
02-26-2005, 08:15 PM
It is quite odd after reading your other post I noticed at the lab here in Bullhead all these new borns with problems. I have seen 10 or 12 this week at the lab. I am talking about new borns. It makes me think even more about what you posted. And makes me read into this a bit too. They say I had Bells Palsey, and I am now getting the symptoms again. Bullhead is not that far from .......... Very interesting !!!! PG&E should be used to big clean ups by now !!!

Sleek-Jet
02-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Sleek-Jet.... corporate lacky.... LOL.... :D
And you used the "E" word also, scary stuff...
I never said I think that what PG&E is currently doing at Topock is the awnser. What's interesting as no one has yet to present an alternative plan. ADEQ does have a strongly worded response to the California clean-up requirements, but other than wanting clarification of contingencies, they have also not presented any new ideas for solving the problem.
In fact, ADEQ mentions several times that the geology under the river is not well known, and that the findings from the wells on both sides of the river could point to a more serious problem (or not... both sides of the coin could be argued). Cr-(VI) has been found on the AZ side of the river, at a much deeper level than on the California side.
So.... is the emergency plan the best thing for the Colorado River?? Probably not. Is it the best thing for PG&E?? Probably not. Will the Calfironia agencies listen to the ADEQ?? Probably not.
I don't trust big government or big business.
I'm as worried about this as everyone else... my drinkig water comes from below the gorge, just like most people in Southern California and Arizona, and that worries me a whole hell of alot more than being able to use my boat.
I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll start a topic over on one of the other boating boards and pin it. I'll put a link to the topic in my signiture. Post as much information as you want, everyone else is invited to do the same. I have one caveat though. There had better be at least weekly updates to the situation (since you're so involved this should be no problem), other wise it comes down and get's locked.
Here's the link: Topock information (http://www.havasudoug.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?ref=83-1044611679 ;act=ST;f=14;t=3978;r=1;&)

shueman
02-26-2005, 10:53 PM
The fruits and vegetables grown in Imperial Valley for your comsumpton also get their irrigation water from the Colorado...

Not So Fast
03-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Some one wondered what happened with this situation so i thought i would bring it back for you all to see what is happening!!! NSF :2purples:

Sane Asylum
03-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Can they do anything about the pee water in the channel? ;)
Cr6 = Pee............Your tax dollars will be at work shortly........Why aren't you buying the ring........?

Not So Fast
03-04-2005, 08:47 AM
To all of the people concerned about pee, pretty simple, dont sit in the channel all day, its your choice, not so if the RIVER becomes contaminated with Cr6 because now it affects everybody, and your johnson will fall off. NSF :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

OC-PARTYCAT
03-04-2005, 08:59 AM
without going back to the original thread.... The ppm of the cr6 seemed to be (if I remember correctly) about three times over the alowable ppm for drinking water. This measurement was directly from the wells. Does cr6 dilute when it is itroduced to more h20? wouldnt that bring the ppm way below the alloable level if it actually ran into the river? Just curious....

Not So Fast
03-04-2005, 09:35 AM
without going back to the original thread.... The ppm of the cr6 seemed to be (if I remember correctly) about three times over the alowable ppm for drinking water. This measurement was directly from the wells. Does cr6 dilute when it is itroduced to more h20? wouldnt that bring the ppm way below the alloable level if it actually ran into the river? Just curious....
OC, yes I would assume that if this stuff makes it to the river that it would be greatly dilluted but, I want nothing to do with it. I am obviously not a chemical engineer but from what I know of Cr6 and the amount of water in this plume that is contaminated, well I thought I would bring it to everyones attention. I was concerned about the effort I saw when I first drove up to the site and I contacted ADEQ, who by the way is very concerned about this and is instrumental in this accelerated effort that was put into play just recently, anyway I guess my concerns were valid as the plume has moved even closer to the river than it was, who knows, maybe it's there already!! I have been involved in so called toxic clean ups before and they were taking out 26,000 gals a day, about 5 or 6 tanker trucks, not enough by a long shot!!! This is why ADEQ is installing wells on the AZ side and will begin testing the river itself soon just for saftey's sake. I dont want to sound like chicken little but I thought people should know about this. The DTSC (lead agency) has told our freinds at PG&E to step this up (clean-up) biG time. They want more extraction points and I believe an on site treatment plant built ( does this sound like a little problem,DUH, not to me) Thanks for your concern because this is ALL OF OUR'S PLAYGROUND NSF :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

Tab
03-04-2005, 11:23 AM
If the stuff makes it to the river???? Not to be cynical but I got a hundy that says it's already there. Just like always, we just don't find out 'till a little later. I wish it wasn't that way but it always seems to prove to be the case.