PDA

View Full Version : Muddy River

goneboatin
02-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Just got back from Parker. Took the boat back to the storage, so we thought we'd go on the water for a couple of hours. The water looks like mud. If you've ever been to Buena Vista, it looks worse. We tried going up to Havasu Springs to see if the water was any cleaner, yeah right. Just as mucky. I've seen the Parker strip like this, but, I've never seen Havasu like this before. Yuck!
:hammerhea
:220v:

Tom Brown
02-27-2005, 07:38 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about anal sex.

phebus
02-27-2005, 07:38 PM
The south end of Havasu, down by the Springs always gets muddy ugly after the rains, from the flow from the Bill Williams River. If you go just a little further north, it appeared normal.

goneboatin
02-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Sorry to disappoint you. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ion
02-28-2005, 07:06 AM
So many famous British Invasion bands of the 60's covered his blues tunes. Oh wait...that was Muddy Waters!

That Guy
02-28-2005, 11:39 AM
The south end of Havasu, down by the Springs always gets muddy ugly after the rains, from the flow from the Bill Williams River. If you go just a little further north, it appeared normal.
Phebus is exactly right. We were on the water Saturday and it appeared perfectly normal until about 1 mile from the springs and then it got muddy...just like it always does with a lot of run off.....Other than that, the lake was great, beautiful day and saw my first hottie in a thong in the channel.....summer here we come. :D :D :D

NOTALENT
02-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Phebus is exactly right. We were on the water Saturday and it appeared perfectly normal until about 1 mile from the springs and then it got muddy...just like it always does with a lot of run off.....Other than that, the lake was great, beautiful day and saw my first hottie in a thong in the channel.....summer here we come. :D :D :D
that is definatley good new~!!! :p

Mrs.Racer277
02-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Just got back from Parker. Took the boat back to the storage, so we thought we'd go on the water for a couple of hours. The water looks like mud. If you've ever been to Buena Vista, it looks worse. We tried going up to Havasu Springs to see if the water was any cleaner, yeah right. Just as mucky. I've seen the Parker strip like this, but, I've never seen Havasu like this before. Yuck!
But atleast it does not smell like BV. :rolleyes: :) And BV is always like that at least this will clear up. :)

JetBoatRich
02-28-2005, 12:22 PM
did you compliment Buena Vista :rolleyes: it looked better, lol

jackpunx
02-28-2005, 01:06 PM
it was nasty.. I could tell the water was low by everthing else.. but not being able to see the bottom sucked.. But the sun was out :cool: and I got my first tan this year :D

WYRD
02-28-2005, 01:09 PM
You need to be carefull running through there lots of drift floating! The last springs run I hit a 3 to 4 foot piece of drift, no damage luckly. :squiggle: :squiggle:

Boatcop
02-28-2005, 02:07 PM
It'll be that way for a while.
They're pumping a record amount of water out of Alamo Dam into the Bill Williams. Just for comparison, Alamo (5,700 CFS) is pumping more water than Hoover and Davis dams combined (5,200 CFS).

goneboatin
02-28-2005, 05:36 PM
I guess I should've gone up to Cattail Cove and tried that, but now I know. :rollside:

Dawn Patrol
02-28-2005, 05:40 PM
BoatCop,
Is the River in Parker muddy with alot of debris?
Is it back to normal after all of the rain?

a catered life
02-28-2005, 06:03 PM
:jawdrop: me too!

Waldo
03-07-2005, 09:07 PM
BoatCop,
Is the River in Parker muddy with alot of debris?
Is it back to normal after all of the rain?
Still muddy as of yesterday. They are still letting water out of the Alamo Dam. I have called the US Bereau of Reclamation (lower Colorado River office) to get a possible water control stopage date but am waiting a call back. I also want to know how crappy the water is (bacteria levels, turbidity, etc.) before I get the boat and family wet. I will update when I find out.

Mrs. casean
03-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Still muddy as of yesterday. They are still letting water out of the Alamo Dam. I have called the US Bereau of Reclamation (lower Colorado River office) to get a possible water control stopage date but am waiting a call back. I also want to know how crappy the water is (bacteria levels, turbidity, etc.) before I get the boat and family wet. I will update when I find out.
Please dol... we were planning on going on Saturday to put the boat in Storage and run it a bit... keep us posted if you can. Thanks Waldo!

Waldo
03-07-2005, 09:14 PM
I also read an article in an AZ newspaper from Saturday. They stated the Army Corps of Engineers (partnering w/USBR) said a "few" weeks left, as there have been more rains since they started the overflow release.
My neighbor at the river seems to think it will be months due to the snow pack. Don't really think that's the case but, as I get more info, I'll update.
We are going for spring break and bringing some family. I hope it is clear by then.

Jrocket
03-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Waldo.....I'll be down this weekend.You?

Waldo
03-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Nope...
Was there last weekend and our next trip is in three weeks.
But it is only for 8 days!!! :D :clover: :D :clover:

Parker Dreamin
03-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Cant wait to get back on the water.... Lets hope it clears up quick.....

mtndewdrops
03-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Lots of floating debris...be careful out there. I took a run from Windsor to just past Copper Canyon last week. The water was so glassy it was awesome. The lake is up so high you can go practically anywhere.

JB in so cal
03-08-2005, 09:02 AM
I flew over the north end of Havasu yesterday and you can CLEARLY see the water change from the normal color up by the Sandbar, around the city and Thompson Bay, then as you look further down range, the muddy/murky color gets more pronounced. From, say a mile or so south of Black Meadow Landing to the Dam, it's all brown. :yuk:

Waldo
03-08-2005, 10:39 PM
I spoke with a representative from the US Bereau of Reclamation today. They control the water flow in the lower Southwest Region...specifically the lower Colorado River section. The gentleman I spoke with was very nice and responded to all my questions.
First question: "How long will the water be released from Alamo Dam?"
He stated that they were expecting the controlled flow to continue for another 19 days, or, around March 27th-29th. Last Sunday, they increased the flow to 2500 cf/second from 1200 cf/second, in order to empty the lake faster. However, they are tied to the irrigation and public comsumption demand from the areas below Parker. If they (USBR) can release more water they will. It all depends on the demand. He mentioned that the controlled release could end prior to March 29th if they are able to up the cubic feet/second release...they monitor weekly down river.
Second question: "Does the water in Parker and south Havasu have a higher bacteria level or any other level that would be detrimental to me and my family if we are to boat and/or swim in the river/lake?"
His response was a very definite "no". What is being brought down the Bill Williams river is tons of silt. The water release is much greater than normal and the flow increase is dragging down the silt and sand with it. Unfortunately, this is a part of this water release we have to deal with. The turbidity level (particle or muddiness) is a lot higher...at about 14 when 1 is normal. It is just dirt though. The UCBR has higher several agencies to test the water along the Havasu, Parker, Blythe area to ensure water quality. Results will be in later next week.
Third question: "Will the snow pack have and effect on future Alamo Dam controlled releases and will there be more releases in the future?"
Apparently, the Alamo Lake/Dam regjon is one the last preserves in Arizona. The state agency wants to promote as much wildlife and habitat growth as possible. For this controlled water release...they are pretty much draining the entire lake above the Alamo Dam. They are expecting the future rains and snow pack melt and fill the lake to inhibit environmental growth. They (state environmental department) also do not want to release more water from Alamo Dam in the future as they feel the future rains and pack will generate more environmentally good stuff...these are my words not theirs.
What I felt from the phone conversation:
The person I spoke with seemed like an old timer that was very genuine. No BS coming from his mouth but honest answers. He even took my phone number to call me when he receives the geological survey tests. I thought that was pretty nice of him. He even asked where we boat, have a place, and he showed respect toward my concern of own family pertaining to river fun. I hope what he told me is going to be true as spring break is coming and the water looks like crap. If/When I hear from him again, I will update accordingly.

Dawn Patrol
03-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks for info Waldo. :cool:

mbrown2
03-08-2005, 10:48 PM
I am thinking it will be that way for months....probably like beginning of May before it clears up.....Record Rain equals brown lake. At new years it was only to the Springs, in January the brown was to the pumping stations...now it dam near all the way up to Sand Point..
I wonder if the extra dirt in the water is problematic for water pickups and for water flowing through our drives and engines..????

Waldo
03-09-2005, 09:00 AM
MBrown,
I thought that as well and brought it up during the conversation. He noted that they will be increasing the flow from Davis Dam also to try and flush the brown stuff down and out.
I too, am worried about flushing that crap through my motor. And when flushing it out, the same water is used at the parks. However, the parks have to adhere to pretty strict water quality regs. At the Rio, the water quality is checked once a month. They came out last Thursday to test and they are waiting for the results.
I plan on contacting the park to hear the results. I took a couple showers last weekend and thought I was really dirty but it was just the light brown "filtered" water. Never drink it but they have two filters for the park and the water is usually good to drink....still don't.

Tyson Ross
03-09-2005, 09:17 AM
I will say that the brown water has not affected the beer at Roadrunner and Fox's. Took a half day yesterday and enjoyed 80+ degree temps and went out on the water. It was a lil scary up by the dam as the water was real low and you cannot see the bottom as previously mentioned but by later afternoon the level was up. :cool:

Boatcop
03-09-2005, 11:21 AM
I wonder if the extra dirt in the water is problematic for water pickups and for water flowing through our drives and engines..????
No problem with the silt in the engine while you're running.
Just be sure to flush the engine with clear water when you pull it, or as soon as you can afterward.
The sediment can collect in low spots and interfere with cooling. Especially if it has a chance to sit and dry out. Especially true of closed systems with the heat exchanger. The tubes can clog up real easy.
Flush the engine and you'll be good.