PDA

View Full Version : Be glad you didn't spend $140-$250K on one of these!

MagicMtnDan
02-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Ford GT has crankshaft issues
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101899
"The engine oil leak, which is caused by an improper finish on the crankshaft...the Speedi-Sleeve will close any gaps that might allow engine oil to leak. The device is a metal band that fits over the end of the crankshaft, increasing its diameter and making a tighter fit against the seal." -Autoweek
So, here's the story...Ford is telling it $140K plus GT customers they need to have a 'sleeve' put over the oil seal area of the crankshaft to make sure it stops leaking oil. How long before Ford sees lawsuits from some, most likely, wealthy individuals who can afford to tap Ford for a correct fix plus some additional 'reasonable' attorney fees Guess they didn't learn much with the Cobra debacle a few years back.
Ford is managing to make the upcoming Corvette Z06 look VERY attractive at a price that should be in the $70K range.
More fodder for the Ford vs. Chevy never-ending arguments. :hammerhea
Didn't Jay Leno get his GT very early? He should have one of the lucky GTs affected by just about every one of the recalls, 9 technical bullitens and 1 special service requests the GT has already encountered. Wonder if that will make the opening monologue of his show.

NOTALENT
02-28-2005, 02:36 PM
"The engine oil leak, which is caused by an improper finish on the crankshaft...the Speedi-Sleeve will close any gaps that might allow engine oil to leak. The device is a metal band that fits over the end of the crankshaft, increasing its diameter and making a tighter fit against the seal." -Autoweek
So, here's the story...Ford is telling it $140K plus GT customers they need to have a 'sleeve' put over the oil seal area of the crankshaft to make sure it stops leaking oil. How long before Ford sees lawsuits from some, most likely, wealthy individuals who can afford to tap Ford for a correct fix plus some additional 'reasonable' attorney fees Guess they didn't learn much with the Cobra debacle a few years back.
Ford is managing to make the upcoming Corvette Z06 look VERY attractive at a price that should be in the $70K range.
Didn't Jay Leno get his GT very early? He should have one of the lucky GTs affected by just about every one of the recalls, 9 technical bullitens and 1 special service requests the GT has already encountered. Wonder if that will make the opening monologue of his show.
typical ford... :D

ChumpChange
02-28-2005, 02:44 PM
That's why I bought a Ferrari instead.

WYRD
02-28-2005, 02:55 PM
F-ound
O-n
R-oadside
D-ead :hammerhea

Sweet Addiction
02-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Thats why I would rather spend that money on a boat. Anyone with me. :D

WYRD
02-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Thats why I would rather spend that money on a boat. Anyone with me. :D
Talk to Photoglo about that one :idea:

Sweet Addiction
02-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Talk to Photoglo about that one :idea:
That Fountain originally came from Texas, and I love it. I would buy it if I had the $$$$ flow. Not happening for a while. :frown:
Jared

RiverDave
02-28-2005, 03:09 PM
On anything that is limited in production and complicated in nature there's going to be issues / recalls etc.. ???
Everybody has problems, it's how you handle those problems that matter. This speedy sleeve, I'm not sure is the correct solution to the problem.. but the car is still freakin sweet.
RD

Phat Daddy
02-28-2005, 03:20 PM
F ord
O wner
R eally
D umb :crossx:

WYRD
02-28-2005, 03:21 PM
F ord
O wner
R eally
D umb :crossx:
Amen Brother......at least I am not the only one that sees that :p :p

Indiansprings
02-28-2005, 09:49 PM
They wouldnt have these problems if they stuffed a Powerstroke in it.

MagicMtnDan
02-28-2005, 11:05 PM
They wouldnt have these problems if they stuffed a Powerstroke in it.
Yeah, you're right. No one's ever talked about problems with a Powerstroke :D

XtrmWakeborder
02-28-2005, 11:40 PM
That's why I bought a Ferrari instead.
Hmm i think u made the right choice

v-drive
03-01-2005, 03:57 AM
On anything that is limited in production and complicated in nature there's going to be issues / recalls etc.. ???
Everybody has problems, it's how you handle those problems that matter. This speedy sleeve, I'm not sure is the correct solution to the problem.. but the car is still freakin sweet.
RD
I'm with Dave on this one, :coffeycup :coffeycup v-drive

Captain Dan
03-01-2005, 09:06 AM
F-ound
O-n
R-oadside
D-ead :hammerhea
I think what you meant to say was:
F - Finest
O - Off
R - Road
D - Device
;)

HCS
03-01-2005, 09:40 AM
(F)ucked
(O)ver
(R)ebuilt
(D)odge

BiggusJimbus
03-01-2005, 10:14 AM
In this case I'm going with:
First On Race Day
Crankshaft and suspension problems or not, I'd have one of these if I had the scratch. Coolest car ever.
Just my opinion.

Forkin' Crazy
03-01-2005, 10:28 AM
(F)ucked
(O)ver
(R)ebuilt
(D)odge
Easy there.... the "dorF" wouldn't make a pimple on a Viper's ass. For that matter, neither would the Corvette!!! :hammer2:

MagicMtnDan
03-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Easy there.... the "dorF" wouldn't make a pimple on a Viper's ass. For that matter, neither would the Corvette!!! :hammer2:
This fall you're going to be eating your words. The Viper and most every other car is in trouble - the Corvette Z06 is coming...
http://vorlon.case.edu/~aap8/gallery/albums/forumhosted/Red_Z06_1.jpg

racecar.hotshoe
03-01-2005, 11:30 PM
D-river
R-eturned
O-n
F-oot!

Craig
03-02-2005, 04:14 AM
I have to say what RD did, it's the first run of a car that was pushed into production very fast to comemorate the GT-40's 1,2,3 win at LeMans. Granted it'd suck to drop that kind of coin and have problems, but did the first Z0-6 have problems, Ferrari's? Board member Donnie took his new Z0-6 to the strip with less than 5000 miles. Made one pass spinning the tires. Second pass it sputtered and coughed the whole way down the track, had an injector go bad. They all have problems.
From Motor Trend:
"While the Z06 has been recall-free, online owners' forums have multiple threads regarding sticking clutches (caused by clutch hydraulic lines routed too close to the exhaust manifold, which cooks the fluid), high oil consumption/piston ring blow-by (supposedly not enough oil ring tension), and oil pump relief valves that can stick open bringing a large percentage of the oil back to the oil pan (probably caused by too much thread sealant applied during engine assembly). These issues are just now being resolved--check with a dealer for the latest on any TSB campaigns."
Here's a link to all the Ferrai recalls after a quick search
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/recalls.jsp?modelID=B3&modelName=456GTA&makeName=Ferrari&makeId=B2
So come on they all have issues ;)