PDA

View Full Version : Towing somthin big? Take a look.

Danhercules
03-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Just thought I would pass it on.
Would suck to happen again.
Think you truck is big enough? (http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=24262)

djunkie
03-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Now that would be a nightmare. Going from having it all to nothing at almost a blink of an eye.

Danhercules
03-01-2005, 02:58 PM
I just did my claulations on my 5th wheel and truck. I dont know how insurance dose it, but with the my truck, 04 chevy 4x4 diesel, crewcab, short box, and my 32' trailer, I am clear by less than 100 lbs. I never have my trailer maxed out, not even close. So I should be OK. But if for some reason, the ins co would go by GVWR and not what the trailer weighs at the time of an accedent, I would still be fine. But if I had a 35' trailer, I know people that do with my truck, they will not be ok if the ins co goes by GVWR. Scary stuff.

Propster
03-01-2005, 03:03 PM
That is a trajic story, however, this was an accident with no criminal intent. Seems he would have been a lot better off with a real lawyer. After all, he believed he was working within the limits of his vehicle and trailer. Once they sued over the value of his insurance, he should have been able to file bankrupcy to protect himself and his family.

djunkie
03-01-2005, 03:12 PM
I didn't read through out that whole thread but I wonder exactly how fast he was going? I do see a lot of people that are close to maxxed out going way to fast. Some where in that thread someone said that just because your truck will do 80mph with all that behind it doesn't mean you should. I agree with him.

gnarley
03-01-2005, 03:16 PM
I just did my claulations on my 5th wheel and truck. I dont know how insurance dose it, but with the my truck, 04 chevy 4x4 diesel, crewcab, short box, and my 32' trailer, I am clear by less than 100 lbs. I never have my trailer maxed out, not even close. So I should be OK. But if for some reason, the ins co would go by GVWR and not what the trailer weighs at the time of an accedent, I would still be fine. But if I had a 35' trailer, I know people that do with my truck, they will not be ok if the ins co goes by GVWR. Scary stuff.
Dan, if your CGVR is clear by less than 100, IMHO you are not safe. You should have at least a 1000 lb buffer for any of the suff you haul. Some extra food, ice chests, water gas, and a few who knows what and you are over the limit without even trying.

gnarley
03-01-2005, 03:19 PM
That is a trajic story, however, this was an accident with no criminal intent. Seems he would have been a lot better off with a real lawyer. After all, he believed he was working within the limits of his vehicle and trailer. Once they sued over the value of his insurance, he should have been able to file bankrupcy to protect himself and his family.
I'm no lawer but I think the only safety is if everything you have is in a trust, if not it is free for the taking when being sued.

Phat Daddy
03-01-2005, 03:34 PM
So what your saying is that I should stop using my Tacoma to pull my 30' Daytona :D

Danhercules
03-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Dan, if your CGVR is clear by less than 100, IMHO you are not safe. You should have at least a 1000 lb buffer for any of the suff you haul. Some extra food, ice chests, water gas, and a few who knows what and you are over the limit without even trying.
My calculations is FULL FULL FULL. Full payload, witch I NEVER am full, and MAX GVWR on my 5th wheel. I am NEVER full. Just IF I was full payload of truck and MAX load in trialer, I am clear by 100lbs.
My trailer can carry 5k or weight, thats after my water and propane. It is a little close, but as I said, I am NEVER even close to MAX on either when I travel.
I was shocked to see how close to the max I am if I were ever to haul my max.

riverbound
03-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Maybe I should start using this to tow the boat full time instead of the f-350 some might consider it over kill.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_323-med.jpg
Actually we used to tow our Alfa toyhouse with the f-350 until we realized that fully loaded the trailer was just below the max for the f-350 and we didnt feel comforatable doing that. Now we tow the toyhouse no problem (40 footer)

MudPumper
03-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Dan, don't you sometimes tow doubles??? How does that load calculate? Just curious.

WYRD
03-01-2005, 05:41 PM
So what your saying is that I should stop using my Tacoma to pull my 30' Daytona :D
Your good as long as you have the saftey chain tight :D :D :D

WYRD
03-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Maybe I should start using this to tow the boat full time instead of the f-350 some might consider it over kill.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_323-med.jpg
Actually we used to tow our Alfa toyhouse with the f-350 until we realized that fully loaded the trailer was just below the max for the f-350 and we didnt feel comforatable doing that. Now we tow the toyhouse no problem (40 footer)
how did you get a picture of my set up??? :confused:

Danhercules
03-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Dan, don't you sometimes tow doubles??? How does that load calculate? Just curious.
Damn, I forgot about that. I should be OK. I dont have anything in the 5th wheel when I do that. Empty my 5th wheel is a little over 8k. I am allowed 14k. I will have to figure it out. Thanks Pumper.

Phat Daddy
03-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Your good as long as you have the saftey chain tight :D :D :D
OOOOOHHH, I'm suppose to have the chain tight. I thought that was there to make neat sparks :D

KACHINA KEN
03-01-2005, 06:20 PM
The 34' with full fuel will be 11.700lbs I never fuel up til I get to the destination anyhow. Thanks for the thread, it made me think. ouch, it hurt too :)

atomickitn
03-01-2005, 07:17 PM
i need to get me one of them toys :idea:

Brooski
03-01-2005, 07:33 PM
I got join Mudpumper on the doubles question. How do you keep that a legal length? Seems to be over the limit to me. Also remember your boat does not have brakes......... My trailer is 26', and I am right at the limit with the boat.

Mandelon
03-01-2005, 08:38 PM
I have purchased a $2,000,000 umbrella policy to cover insurance gaps like this. Its only a few hundred bucks a year.

moneypit
03-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Im just happy to see that there are smart asses on their threads also. What does that trailer weigh anyway?

locogringo
03-01-2005, 11:02 PM
I have purchased a $2,000,000 umbrella policy to cover insurance gaps like this. Its only a few hundred bucks a year.
Good idea but it attracts flies like crazy if you know what I mean. We have 750k on every item we have but what is more imprtant is to have it all in a trust imbedded in a LLC inside a C corp. This protects you 100%.

Danhercules
03-02-2005, 10:06 AM
I got join Mudpumper on the doubles question. How do you keep that a legal length? Seems to be over the limit to me. Also remember your boat does not have brakes......... My trailer is 26', and I am right at the limit with the boat.
Per the Commercal CHP at the scales, I am leagal lengh. The one part I am not is, I dont have brakes on my boat. I should have them.
Dan(thinkin twice about towin doubles)hercules, at least untill I get breaks on the boat trailer.

BOBALOO
03-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Just a quick note for all of you towing 25' and over boats or travel trailers. Your factory tow hitch may not be rated for more than 5000 lbs without a weight distributing setup. My 2003 f-250 Crew 4x4 has a max rating of 500# tongue weight and 5000# towing weight.
I know the boat empty weighs 3800# and the trailer has to be 1400# at least.
Then add in all the crap, gas, anchors, stereo, tools, ice chests, and you will be way overweight.
I just found this out and am going to get the Titan receiver hitch before towing.
Be safe out there.

BigDogIvan
03-02-2005, 12:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing BABLOO. How many of those out there pulling there 28ft boats and up on the factory hitch?? I know I'm close. I'm at 5400# with a tongue weight of 240# ready for the water towing with a '02 2500hd cc. Just typing this also made me think on how many folks out there actualy know where ther stats are. Do they actualy know what there pulling weight wise? Has anyone actualy put there rigs on a scale with and with out hooked to the tow vehicle? :idea:

OC-PARTYCAT
03-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Just a quick note for all of you towing 25' and over boats or travel trailers. Your factory tow hitch may not be rated for more than 5000 lbs without a weight distributing setup. My 2003 f-250 Crew 4x4 has a max rating of 500# tongue weight and 5000# towing weight.
My Chevy 2500 hitch is rated 1,000# tongue and 7,500# total weight. With a weight distribution hitch its 1,200 tongue and 12,500 total weight.
Thats just the hitch tough, Im sure the actual truck capacity is much higher if I was to haul a 5th wheel.
I think the dually is rated at almost 17,000# with a 5th wheel
Just another reason to buy a chevy i guess :D

OC-PARTYCAT
03-02-2005, 01:23 PM
I was thinking the same thing BABLOO. How many of those out there pulling there 28ft boats and up on the factory hitch?? I know I'm close. I'm at 5400# with a tongue weight of 240# ready for the water towing with a '02 2500hd cc. Just typing this also made me think on how many folks out there actualy know where ther stats are. Do they actualy know what there pulling weight wise? Has anyone actualy put there rigs on a scale with and with out hooked to the tow vehicle? :idea:
Your fine with those weights, I have the same truck I think..'02 CC LB w/duramax 4wd

Ducatista
03-02-2005, 01:41 PM
The FS3000 is a pull trailer/hauler, not a fifth wheel type. The toys get loaded in the back of the trailer, which is not exactly the best place you can place a bunch of weight in any 30ft pull trailer. The average friction sway controls are only rated for 25ft and smaller trailers, you have to double them up on each side with 30ft trailer, and even then that's a handfull to tow when loaded, with that truck. Man what a eye opener of a story...that sucks all the way around, sorry to read about it but something to think about. :yuk:
I towed a 30ft Terry behind my 3/4 ton Burb for years. I welded on a MC rack to the back of the trailer, for my street or dirt bike. I had that same sway condition happen to me on a down hill, and it was scary. At the time, I had only on sway bar on the front, with the equalizing hitch, and had my street bike on the back( only about 460lbs). It got into a swaying back & forth condition that I had a hell of a time getting out of. Scared the bjesus out of me. I added an additional sway bar on the other side of the frame after that incident, and it corrected the problem. Once they get swayin bad, its hard to correct out of, I know from that experience.

BigDogIvan
03-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Your fine with those weights, I have the same truck I think..'02 CC LB w/duramax 4wd
I have the short box w/6.0. I'm sure I;m OK. I was thinking that my ball mounts I think are rated 5000/500. :idea I know I won't have a problem.
I was just wondering if anyone ells realy knows where they actualy stand on the weight there towing and there togue wieght is. I actualy went to a scale and weighed the boat conected and disconected from the truck. I have to say I was surprised on the gain from dry plus trailer and gear.
BD

Brady Bunch
03-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Just speng $80K on one of these and you will be fine............ :jawdrop:
http://www.f650pickups.com/s2.jpg