PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Marine Double X Slip-in Silencers

duffster
03-01-2005, 07:23 PM
What is the deal with the slip-in silencers has anyone used them?
http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/Pictures/102-REXMUFF%20copy.gif

phebus
03-01-2005, 07:27 PM
And, for those that have, how do you deal with the internal flappers that are in the exhaust tips?

duffster
03-01-2005, 08:00 PM
I know the Eddie Marine tips have the mounting hole pre-drilled. On the angled cut tips it is 5 3/4 from the middle of the flapper. The Double X
Slip-in Silencers need 4 ¾ to fit. Is that enough room or is their chance of not being able to push enough water to keep everything cool. Or will the flappers burn?
I’m just looking for an easy cheap way to keep the noise Nazi’s off my back plus you can remove them when you feel like breaking the law.

duffster
03-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Anyone?

Dave C
03-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Not yet. but I'm thinking the same thing you are.
If it doesn't line up correctly, it appears that another fastener can be welded to make it perfect. :D
But I dunno for sure.

Rexone
03-02-2005, 04:41 PM
pic address... hmmm.
www. eddiemarine.com/cart/Pictures/102-REXMUFF%20copy.gif
could have at least changed the pic name when copied our muffler. :boxed:

duffster
03-02-2005, 04:46 PM
pic address... hmmm.
could have at least changed the pic name when copied the muff. :boxed:
Sorry Rex do I need to pull out the 57 Chevy?

HM
03-02-2005, 05:06 PM
I am going to use these in the tips from GGB:
http://www.ggb.ca/images/insertdia.jpg
and then I am going to put Rewarder louvered baffles in the exhaust hose between the tips and riser.
The GGB inserts are 8 inches long. The Rewarder baffles, which look very similar are 12 inches. I have enough room and the right angles in the exhaust system for these to fit. My boat idled at ~103, so it was borderline
(according to the ***boat tests) that one set alone would work. I am going to test each set alone and then together for effectiveness. I will post results - I should test them within the next week (as soon as they arrive!!).
I got rid of my internal flappers as they would "reverse" flap for some reason then ultimately broke. So I now have external flappers which work much better and are easier to replace, but I have not had to replace them.

duffster
03-02-2005, 06:09 PM
I am going to use these in the tips from GGB:
http://www.ggb.ca/images/insertdia.jpg
and then I am going to put Rewarder louvered baffles in the exhaust hose between the tips and riser.
The GGB inserts are 8 inches long. The Rewarder baffles, which look very similar are 12 inches. I have enough room and the right angles in the exhaust system for these to fit. My boat idled at ~103, so it was borderline
(according to the ***boat tests) that one set alone would work. I am going to test each set alone and then together for effectiveness. I will post results - I should test them within the next week (as soon as they arrive!!).
I got rid of my internal flappers as they would "reverse" flap for some reason then ultimately broke. So I now have external flappers which work much better and are easier to replace, but I have not had to replace them.
They need to make them 4" long. What is the cost? My first choice would to go Rex Marine but the cost is out of control for coffee cans.

HM
03-02-2005, 06:17 PM
They need to make them 4" long. What is the cost? My first choice would to go Rex Marine but the cost is out of control for coffee cans.
They can make them any length you want - but I am sure it will cost you a bit more. I don't have the price the on the GGB's, but Rewarders are ~$100 and I am expecting the GGB's to be in the same range.
Buy one and cut it in half!

Essex502
03-03-2005, 07:26 AM
Duffster - I wouldn't worry about your boat passing the noise tests at this time. If you still have the Essex, the exhaust should exit below the water line when not on plane. Our 502 tested at 84 dB(A) at idle using the California mandated SAE J2005 test that went into effect January 1. It will fail a shoreline test while on plane but the likelihood of a LEO performing that test per the specified procedure is doubtful. It must be performed very carefully and the LEO's probably don't have the expertise nor time to do so.
We are waiting to see the level of enforcement of the driveby tests before sinking money into silencers or mufflers for our below waterline exhausted boat.
Now...for those who have their exhaust exitting above the waterline - run to whatever muffler/silencer Mfg and pick up one immediately as you're gonna' need it.

Sandbar Mike
03-03-2005, 07:34 AM
I've used the double X Tips and passed at the Marina with 85db @ 10ft during idle. Didn't seem to loose any RPM either. $150 well spent,

HM
03-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Just got the price on the GGB's and they were a bit more than I expected, but they are also engineered a little more as well. $144 each, so $288 for the set. With shipping they are ~$300. Add the $100 I spent on the Rewarder inserts and I am up to a $400 muffler system - which is about the cost of one these noise tickets. For me, that was a simple decision.

duffster
03-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Duffster - I wouldn't worry about your boat passing the noise tests at this time. If you still have the Essex, the exhaust should exit below the water line when not on plane. Our 502 tested at 84 dB(A) at idle using the California mandated SAE J2005 test that went into effect January 1. It will fail a shoreline test while on plane but the likelihood of a LEO performing that test per the specified procedure is doubtful. It must be performed very carefully and the LEO's probably don't have the expertise nor time to do so.
We are waiting to see the level of enforcement of the driveby tests before sinking money into silencers or mufflers for our below waterline exhausted boat.
Now...for those who have their exhaust exitting above the waterline - run to whatever muffler/silencer Mfg and pick up one immediately as you're gonna' need it.
But question is will they be visually be checking for some sort of muffling device when launching and turning people around or is that just talk. If it's just the test pass or fail I know my Essex will pass with flying colors. I just though about putting in something cheap that looks like I made a effort that I can take out easily when I am on the water.

RiverDave
03-03-2005, 12:09 PM
pic address... hmmm.
Now that was funny... :D :D
One of those "sad but true" kinda deals.. It's amazing how apparent it is in todays mfg's..
RD

DM25CITATION
03-03-2005, 12:20 PM
hey mike
whats the hp on your motor???
iam @525. ive been looking at the double X but scared that it wont pass.

HM
03-03-2005, 12:26 PM
But question is will they be visually be checking for some sort of muffling device when launching and turning people around or is that just talk. If it's just the test pass or fail I know my Essex will pass with flying colors. I just though about putting in something cheap that looks like I made a effort that I can take out easily when I am on the water.
There is no "visual" requirement. If they have any question, they will have to actually test you. They cannot cite you or turn you away because you "look" like you don't have any muffler devices - they have to hear it and actually test it if they suspect it is too loud.
Who told you they would be visually inspecting?

Sandbar Mike
03-03-2005, 01:27 PM
hey mike
whats the hp on your motor???
iam @525. ive been looking at the double X but scared that it wont pass.
Ive got a 540CI put out 650HP, my pipes are well above water line, the silencers deffenitly did it. Problem is it's too quite now, one of the things I loved most about my boat was hearing it run. :mad: Oh well

Not So Fast
03-03-2005, 02:23 PM
I've used the double X Tips and passed at the Marina with 85db @ 10ft during idle. Didn't seem to loose any RPM either. $150 well spent,
hey sandbar, did you use the clamp-ons or thru transom? maybe this is a redundant question but any problem with reversion???? That is my biggest concern AND I"M STILL GOING TO WAIT AND SEE what happens with this bogus law!! NSF :2purples:

ChumpChange
03-03-2005, 02:40 PM
I have a pair of these but I have never bolted them in. Maybe some day I will and then I'll let you know.

Dave C
03-03-2005, 04:16 PM
LMAO....
just for that funny I will order one from you. :D
pic address... hmmm.

mbrown2
03-03-2005, 04:52 PM
pic address... hmmm.
Ouch....that is pretty lame on their part....if you going to bite, cover your trail...