PDA

View Full Version : Boat cover cleaning

Mrs. casean
03-01-2005, 10:32 PM
How??? Anyone have suggestions to get it clean? Is there a place that cleans canvas covers or do you just use soap & water? Help! Thanks :D

essexjet
03-01-2005, 10:38 PM
How??? Anyone have suggestions to get it clean? Is there a place that cleans canvas covers or do you just use soap & water? Help! Thanks :D
Hey Linds, I take mine to a laundry mat that has over sized washers, wash it in there with mild soap and let it air dry outside.

HEDJUG
03-02-2005, 04:48 AM
I spot tested with a mild solution of oxy-clean, saw no apparent problems & hand washed away. The cover came out like new. It is very wet here on the east coast + we get a ton of pollen. The cover was getting moldy and stained green from the prollen, but it came clean.

jbtrailerjim
03-02-2005, 06:06 AM
I just spread mine across the driveway. Sprayed some Simple Green on it and scrubed it down. I waited for a nice warm sunny day to do it though, to speed up the drying time.

Ron Burnett
03-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Ron Here From Rons Custom Detail In Lhc. Bring It To A Cleaners They Have Industrial Washers And Will Get All The Soap Residue Out After Washing And Fold It Up Killer When Done, If You Wash It And Dont Get All The Soap Out It Will Get Dirty Faster The Next Time.another Tip Is To Put It Back On The Boat A Little Damp And Tie It Down And Let It Dry On The Boat.

Sherpa
03-02-2005, 07:01 AM
don't just allow it to "air-dry".......... most of the time it won't fit later....
find a laundramat with the big side-load machines.... wash it there.. take it
home and put the cover on the boat..... preferably outside... let it dry on
the boat..... guaranteed to still fit the boat afterward...
(My sister washed her Cobalt cover, then let it dry on a clothes line.....)
it didn't fit the boat anymore afterwards unless you got the cover soaking
wet first........
--Sherpa

H20Advantage
03-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Don't forget to spray it with a good water repellant afterwards. There was a thread here a while back on the best one to use. I think it came from West Marine.

BarryMac
03-02-2005, 08:02 AM
I just spread mine across the driveway. Sprayed some Simple Green on it and scrubed it down. I waited for a nice warm sunny day to do it though, to speed up the drying time.
This is what I do, I usually throw one of the big blue tarps down on the driveway, then the Cover, just to keep any of the crap from the driveway from getting on the underside of the cover, then let it sit out on the driveway on a dry tarp to dry, kind of a pain in the arse but on a hot summer day it works out pretty good...

dirty old man
03-02-2005, 08:29 AM
You must use Scotgard or other type water repellant after washing IF you store outdoors as it will leak like a sieve. Also, drying on the boat will help prevent excessive shrinkage.

DrewDown
03-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Custom canvas in mauntclair. 909-981-7179. They will wash it with the proper soap and whatnot.

Mrs. casean
03-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Just the answers I was looking for! Thank you everyone... great suggestions... I can have a clean cover again... & I'll make sure to put it back on the boat to dry... that would be awful to not have it fit after all the cleaning! Thanks guys!

racecar.hotshoe
03-02-2005, 10:47 AM
You take it off the boat and throw it away and get another one.. :D