PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Titan?

Mor's Lavey
03-02-2005, 06:49 AM
Anyone have or know about the Nissan titan. It seems like a good tow truck.

sigepmock
03-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Great motor and trans. Nissan is still working the bugs out, new model and all. Overall I heard good things about the truck but plan on taking back to the dealer a couple of times for warranty work. Hopefully 05-06 models are better.
Chris

Delta Jets
03-02-2005, 07:16 AM
I understand they are good trucks fuel milage sucks though and the dealers here won't come off of sticker. We are in farming country so everybody goes for the chevy decent milage and the resale value stays up thats my .02

Cole Trickle
03-02-2005, 07:22 AM
I have driven and dynoed more than a couple of the ne Titan's.
They have the strongest motor in the class bar none!Hemi Rams stand no chance against the Titan's underrated motor.
The 5 speed auto is pretty nice keeps you in the powerband at almost all times.
Interior is decent - Think Altima but bigger, plastic everywhere but looks good if you get the dark colored dash(Don't get the tan dash :yuk: )
Size wise it is pretty big wich isn't a bad thing (Think F-150 or Ram)
It has alot of neat cubbie holes and cool tie down brackets.
If I was looking for a gas powered truck in the 1/2 ton variety that I could tow with and drive around town the Titan would be at the top of my list.
I think it would look great with a 3" lift and some 33's (Not to big but enough to break up the harsh body lines)
I still like my Chevy's but Nissan reliability and the power there getting from there 5.6L is very impressive.
Brandin

OGShocker
03-02-2005, 07:27 AM
I think they're fugly but, I am an Buy American kinda guy.

dmontzsta
03-02-2005, 07:35 AM
When it comes to reliability the VQ motor is one of the best in the world.

superdave013
03-02-2005, 07:38 AM
a friend of mine is alway warping rotors. He does not even tow with it.
I like the trucks. Love the way the back doors open all the way. The tie down system built in the bed is really nice. But it seems like they undersized the brakes a tad. Maybe they have fixed that for '05.

Coleitis22
03-02-2005, 08:01 AM
I think they're fugly but, I am an Buy American kinda guy.
I agree. Nissan should fire the design crew and start over. They have never built a good looking truck. :sleeping:

boxscore
03-02-2005, 08:36 AM
I've owned mine for about 8 mos. I've been more than satisfied. Great power, tows better than by 6.0 GMC 2500, no kidding.
They've had problems with their brakes as mentioned. Just came out with new rotors, calipers , etc to hopefully solve issue. I had the new brakes installed this past week all under warranty. You can get one near invoice...no problem. I can see why some find the design bad. But the look doesn't bother me much. It's a very comfortable and capable truck.

Artv
03-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Don’t do it, the transmissions and engines are going out just like the rotors. I just approved a Trans and engine replacement on a 04 Titan with 6k. Give them sometime to work out the bugs. I told Sigemock the same thing about the new Xterra. If you have any questions PM me, I work for corporate. My department handles all the warranty claims. If you need a discount PM me, I could get the truck at invoice.

InKahntrol
03-02-2005, 08:57 AM
I've been driving an '04 Crew Cab 4x4 with the off-road package for the better part of a year (work truck), and I really like it. The engine is, unquestionably, the best V8 in its class. Tons of power, very smooth, and excellent sound. The five-speed auto is also very nice. I've towed my boat back and forth to Havasu a few times and it did really well. The interior is also very comfortable and well-thought-out. It is the biggest in its class, rear seat legroom is great, and the consoles are huge... big enough to store a lap top computer.
The frame is fully boxed, and is stronger than any other pickup frame in its class. It also has available spray-in bedliner from the factory, which is cool, and an AWESOME adjustable tie-down system in the bed with rails on the floor, sides and front of the bed that have sliding hooks on them. The built-in lockable storage compartments in the bed are also nice.
My personal truck is a 2001 Silverado, and we also have a 2004 F150 4X4 in the work fleet, so I feel like I can make a pretty accurate comparison. The only truck I haven't spent a lot of time in is the Dodge.
My only compaints about the Nissan are 1) I'm not a huge fan of the styling, but I know a lot of people who are. So... that's sort of a personal thing.
2) Our particular truck was ordered with a bench seat in front and a column shifter, and in order to downshift on grades while towing you have to use this wierd little switch on the end of the shifter. However, trucks with bucket seats have a really cool console shifter, so that wouldn't be an issue.
Overall I'd definately recommend the Titan, its a great truck, and as usual Nissan really put a lot of thought into the features list to make it stand out from the crowd. As for those who say they prefer "American Trucks", consider this: Most Silverados are assembled in Canada or Mexico. The Titan is built in Smirna, Georgia, with parts built in Smirna, Georgia. Go figure.
In comparison, my Chevy has been a good truck (no problems in 85,000 miles). At the same time, I don't care for the way it handles and the 5.3 doesn't have enough power. I REALLY like the new F150, its probably my favorite. But, its down on power with the 5.4 compared to the Titan, and the 5.4 is optional! I can't imagine what its like with the 4.6.

Essex502
03-02-2005, 09:04 AM
My last Nissan was a POS. Brand spanking 1 month on the market `95 Pathfinder (yeah not a truck but a lesson). Every major powertrain componet had problems. 5,000 miles complete differential had to be replaced. Afterwards clunking in the drivetrain every time I came to a stop or started from a stop or both. That went on for 20K more miles until they had the brilliant idea to change the transmission due to a bad angle on the driveshaft. So...changed and put a 4 wheel drive tranny into my 2 wheel drive Pathfinder! Including all new exhaust 'cause the 4X2 exhaust is different from th 4X4 exhaust. Next, recall came along and replaced shocks, tires, and several other components. Then an exhaust manifold cracked. Brake rotors warped every 10K miles and had to be replaced. I did only light duty towing at the time - maybe 4 times a year - with a PWC trailer and single PWC. Bearings had to be replaced on the rear axle too. That truck was always in the shop. Emission controls failed. Everything was replaced under warranty but the time the truck was out od service was annoying. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.
The Nissan Titan might be a nice truck but if I were you I'd pass on it for a few years and let the Nissan "engineers" (read: tinkerers as they can't be real engineers and let crap like that into the market) work out the bugs.

oldbuck40
03-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Anyone have or know about the Nissan titan. It seems like a good tow truck.here's the #1 ??? what are you going to tow with it? jet ski's or a 30' boat?

cdog
03-02-2005, 09:42 AM
My dad is lemon lawing his right now because of the front end. Nice truck, but the front end and brakes suck. It's been in 4 times for new rotors. Chevy or ford is your best bet. I always ask people "When was the last time you saw a 10 year old dodge on the road". Good Luck.

HCS
03-02-2005, 09:50 AM
I work for Nissan. A Nissan is a Nissan. If you like Nissans I think you'll like the Titan. I drive a Chevy. But I own 2 other Nissans. Personally I like them because of there reliability. My wife use to drive a Sentra, it has 250,000 miles on it and it runs perfect. Now I use it for my commuter. I bought her the new 05 Altima. Which I think is an excellent car, Especially for her. :mix:
The problem with the Titan.
Front brakes. The brakes were under designed for the truck. Nissan still does not have a permenant fix. Their engineering dept is working on it. Nissan under estimated how much braking power a full size truck would need. I have recieved bulletins from Nissan stating that a fix is in the works.
The Titans are chewing up pads and rotors like crazy. We are on 2nd and 3rd replacement go arounds on some trucks. That's the biggest problem Nissan is having with the Titan right now. Personally I think it's a big problem for a truck that has a towing capacity of 9500lbs. :messedup: Going down a long mountain grade, loaded with camping gear, towing my rig would have me concerned.

HCS
03-02-2005, 09:57 AM
My dad is lemon lawing his right now because of the front end. Nice truck, but the front end and brakes suck. It's been in 4 times for new rotors. Chevy or ford is your best bet. I always ask people "When was the last time you saw a 10 year old dodge on the road". Good Luck.
There will be a recall soon. Nissan screwed up on the brake design.

cdog
03-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Otherwise it's a nice truck. I like the storage compartment in the bed and the bed rack system. I've always bought chevy 3/4 tons.

Screaming Pete
03-02-2005, 10:02 AM
95 dodge ram 301300 miles, 1 tranny and still running strong, and if it had the allison tranny it would be the best combo on the market.. wait for 06 woth the biggest crew cab in the market 103 inches
Screaming Pete

cdog
03-02-2005, 10:11 AM
95 dodge ram 301300 miles, 1 tranny and still running strong, and if it had the allison tranny it would be the best combo on the market.. wait for 06 woth the biggest crew cab in the market 103 inches
Screaming Pete
Nice, I have a lot of friends who bought the dodge when it came out and their trucks fell apart at the seams. In fact my friends 1/2 ton dodge could'nt keep up with my 91 chevy work truck full of tools. Glad you had a good experience with yours, but it seems you may be the exception.

Artv
03-02-2005, 10:29 AM
I work for Nissan. A Nissan is a Nissan. If you like Nissans I think you'll like the Titan. I drive a Chevy. But I own 2 other Nissans. Personally I like them because of there reliability. My wife use to drive a Sentra, it has 250,000 miles on it and it runs perfect. Now I use it for my commuter. I bought her the new 05 Altima. Which I think is an excellent car, Especially for her. :mix:
The problem with the Titan.
Front brakes. The brakes were under designed for the truck. Nissan still does not have a permenant fix. Their engineering dept is working on it. Nissan under estimated how much braking power a full size truck would need. I have recieved bulletins from Nissan stating that a fix is in the works.
The Titans are chewing up pads and rotors like crazy. We are on 2nd and 3rd replacement go arounds on some trucks. That's the biggest problem Nissan is having with the Titan right now. Personally I think it's a big problem for a truck that has a towing capacity of 9500lbs. :messedup: Going down a long mountain grade, loaded with camping gear, towing my rig would have me concerned.
The rotor problem has been fixed, We are sending out a Nissan net message in a few days. I was in a meeting with tech line and engineering yesterday. Thank god you bought the wife the 05 alt and not the 03

Artv
03-02-2005, 10:33 AM
It wont be a recall. It will be a warranty extension. We had the same problems with the 350z tires. The extension will be 2/24 after the basic warranty.

jayd_jr
03-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Does the Armada have the same problem with the brakes????? I just bought one 2 months ago....

HCS
03-02-2005, 10:40 AM
The rotor problem has been fixed, We are sending out a Nissan net message in a few days. I was in a meeting with tech line and engineering yesterday. Thank god you bought the wife the 05 alt and not the 03
Ya, I got her the 2.5 also. :jawdrop: I almost got the V6, but she just didn't need it. I was a little concerned but since it's an 05 I figured I'll be alright.

Artv
03-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Does the Armada have the same problem with the brakes????? I just bought one 2 months ago....
Yes, does the front end shake when stoping.

HCS
03-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Yep. :( Same brake set up.

Artv
03-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Ya, I got her the 2.5 also. :jawdrop: I almost got the V6, but she just didn't need it. I was a little concerned but since it's an 05 I figured I'll be alright.
The 05 looks so much better then the 03, i love the head lights and the new interior in the Alt.

jayd_jr
03-02-2005, 10:47 AM
NOT YET...... But should I just say it does and have the fix done?

HCS
03-02-2005, 10:49 AM
You no. I here Stillen is drilling holes and cutting grooves in the factory rotors to improve performance. I haven't herd how it's working though. :coffeycup

Artv
03-02-2005, 10:52 AM
How many miles, they may try to just turn the rotors for now. We may have problems getting the parts.(back order)

Artv
03-02-2005, 10:53 AM
What dealer do you dill with? I may be able to push you to the front of the line.

jayd_jr
03-02-2005, 10:55 AM
2,100 miles. IMy wife drives it and she hasant said anything about it yet. Now my ford f-150 is having alignment problems. Goes out after 2,000 miles and they say its not covered under warranty.

HCS
03-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Yep. Rotors are on restriction by vin#. There going to deplete the old supply first.
So get them replaced as many times as posible. :D

Artv
03-02-2005, 10:57 AM
You no. I here Stillen is drilling holes and cutting grooves in the factory rotors to improve performance. I haven't herd how it's working though. :coffeycup
I'll try and get a copy of the bulletin; I think the fix was larger brake rotors. When they designed the truck I think they put the wrong rotors on the Titan and Armada, they put rotors from a sentra. J/K

jayd_jr
03-02-2005, 10:57 AM
What dealer do you dill with? I may be able to push you to the front of the line.
Power Nissan in Irvine

Essex502
03-02-2005, 11:21 AM
I'll try and get a copy of the bulletin; I think the fix was larger brake rotors. When they designed the truck I think they put the wrong rotors on the Titan and Armada, they put rotors from a sentra. J/K
Sounds exactly like what they did to my `95 Pathfinder and wouldn't admit it. Don't their engineers learn from their mistakes? Are these Japanese engineers or American engineers?
For now I'll let my Cummins do the work for me.

Essex502
03-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Here's an interesting comparison:
Full Size Truck Comparison (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=101958/pageId=58905)
Take it for what it's worth.

PHOTOGLOU
03-02-2005, 11:36 AM
3 people in the last 2 months that had there Titan bought back for brakes have bought 3/4 ton 6.0ltrucks from me SO becareful and test drive the sh*t out of one before buying

Artv
03-02-2005, 11:41 AM
3 people in the last 2 months that had there Titan bought back for brakes have bought 3/4 ton 6.0ltrucks from me SO becareful and test drive the sh*t out of one before buying
That’s what I should of bought a 3/4 6.0L. I currently have a 03 Z71.

HCS
The Titan brake problem is not going away soon. We have no less than 5 Titans/Armadas in our shop at any one given time for brake shudder.
It's been that way since the truck was released. :jawdrop:

Music to my Ears
Are we talking the 05 Armada as well? Just bought one for my wife last week. I hadn't heard about the brake issues until this thread.

HCS
03-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Are we talking the 05 Armada as well? Just bought one for my wife last week. I hadn't heard about the brake issues until this thread.
TSB# NTB04-066b: says 2004 Titan and Armada. Usually they come out with a vin# range for the vehicles affected. Which I have not seen yet.
I believe 2005's are ok.

Artv
03-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Just confirmed with tech line, the 05's will have the same brake problem as the 04. The above bulletin does not apply to the 05, the revision will be out soon. The 04 and 05 titan and armada have the same brake system, only time will tell.

Music to my Ears
03-02-2005, 11:56 AM
TSB# NTB04-066b: says 2004 Titan and Armada. Usually they come out with a vin# range for the vehicles affected. Which I have not seen yet.
I believe 2005's are ok.
Thank you!

Artv
03-02-2005, 11:57 AM
I believe 2005's are ok.
When coding claims for the 05 do not code the claim per the bulletin.

Music to my Ears
03-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Just confirmed with tech line, the 05's will have the same brake problem as the 04. The above bulletin does not apply to the 05, the revision will be out soon. The 04 and 05 titan and armada have the same brake system, only time will tell.
Bummer. So do you think that Nissan will step up and replace the rotors at some point?

HCS
03-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Great!!!! You know how many of these freaking things we've been doing. :2purples:
Murder on us parts guys. :cry:

HCS
03-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Bummer. So do you think that Nissan will step up and replace the rotors at some point?
Their releasing a new rotor on the bulletin mentioned above.
You must complain about the problem to get them replaced. And that's if they have hot spots or have been turned out of thickness.

Music to my Ears
03-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Their releasing a new rotor on the bulletin mentioned above.
You must complain about the problem to get them replaced. And that's if they have hot spots or have been turned out of thickness.
Thanks again!

Artv
03-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Eventually they will be replaced, the parts are on restriction for now. If you feel anything in the front take it in. The dlr is to turn the rotors first. The may need to turn them a few times until the parts are available. If you ever have any questions on anything just PM me.

Music to my Ears
03-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Eventually they will be replaced, the parts are on restriction for now. If you feel anything in the front take it in. The dlr is to turn the rotors first. The may need to turn them a few times until the parts are available. If you ever have any questions on anything just PM me.
Excellent. Thanks!!

LITTLE D
03-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Nissan is FRENCH owned.

HCS
03-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Additional Information
Nissan is diligently working to provide you with the parts and procedures necessary to effectively repair all of your customers' vehicles, including those whose driving pattern may cause them to experience brake judder after an initial repair. In that regard, please be advised that NNA presently anticipates that new countermeasure brake pads, shims, and rotors will be available for unrestricted sale on all order types on or before May 30, 2005.

HCS
03-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Nissan is FRENCH owned.
Their brakes are probably French made. :D

Essex502
03-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Nissan is FRENCH owned.
Technically incorrect. Renault owns 44% of Nissan making the French automaker the largest shareholder NOT the owner. Nissan in turn owns 15% of Renault as well. They are closely coupled at the hip. Also, the French government owns 25% of Renault.

InKahntrol
03-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Here's an interesting comparison:
Full Size Truck Comparison (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=101958/pageId=58905)
Take it for what it's worth.
If you like that story, this one just posted a few days ago...
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=104774
I hear the guy who wrote it is a pretty cool dude... :wink:

LITTLE D
03-02-2005, 01:25 PM
44% too much for me.

Mor's Lavey
03-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Thank's for all the input. It sounds like its a great truck with bad breaks. Will be towing the 24' Lavey you see to the left.

Perfect Mixer
03-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Nissan is FRENCH owned.
It's also why they are still in existance right now. If it weren't for the French, Nissan would be gone!
As for the Titan, the only problems I have had after 4Kmiles is: the front brakes (as mentioned), pulls to the right, and a left window that wouldn't roll up intermittantly. Considering that I work on a car line that the cars can cost up to $150K and we can't even get the damn phones to operate correctly, I think that I'm doing pretty good!
Their brakes are probably French made. :D
Don't know about the brakes, but I know the trans is, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Them damn Frenchies build an awsome AT

HCS
03-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Nissan jumped into the big truck market and should have done more research.
They should have built the truck and thrashed the shit out of it before putting it on the market.
The brake problem should have never been an issue. :hammerhea
Every truck has burnt brakes. :hammer2:

Perfect Mixer
03-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Anyone have or know about the Nissan titan. It seems like a good tow truck.
If you'd like some straight forward answers to you questions, I could hook you up with a buddy of mine and fellow Lavey owner that runs one of the service departments here in Orange county.

Mor's Lavey
03-03-2005, 07:40 PM
If you'd like some straight forward answers to you questions, I could hook you up with a buddy of mine and fellow Lavey owner that runs one of the service departments here in Orange county.
That would be great. Thanks for the help.

simple
03-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Did you know the Titan is using a Ford F-150 chassis?
It's true!

Boozer
03-03-2005, 08:22 PM
My uncle has a Titan that he bought in October. Hadn't heard him say anything bad about it. So after reading this post I called him and he gave me some info.
The truck has 8,500 miles on it. Of those miles he has towed with it maybe 500. The brake pads are now worn and the rotors are warped. He says that the rear diff is also leaking fluid and one of his friends who bought a Titan at the same time he did has already had to have the entire rear end of the truck replaced. Is it normal for a vehicle with 8,500 miles on it to already be leaking from the rear diff? His Titan is 4WD.
As far as Dodge trucks go... I love Dodge trucks my Durango was good to me but the tranny was going out on it when I got rid of it. 87,000 miles of sitting behind the 5.9 was just to much for the tranny I guess. My fathers 1500 Ram just had a new engine put in it block and heads. It over heated two times and those two times were enough for it to go the ovewr heating was caused by cheaply made hose clamps that came on the truck from the factory. Since the engine was replaced it runs great but the 4.7 is definitely underpowered for towing anything very heavy. I use the truck right now to haul my detailing trailer around and it REALLY bogs down the truck I'd be okay with that happening if I was hauling around 500 gallons of water and a ton of heavy equipment but my trailer is a small 4X8 that has 100 gallons of water a generator and a pressure wasdher so it probably only weighs somewhere in the ball park of 1,000 pounds total. I'd hate to try and tow a boat behind the truck if I were going any further then a few miles.
As much as I love Dodge trucks I dont think I'll own another one. My next truck will be a late 90's F150 and the only reason I'm going that route is because they can be had cheap VERY cheap and they look great when you lift them. The truck of my choice and the truck I will purchase when it is financially feasible for me is going to be a Brand new F-350 with a powerstroke.

Kahuna
03-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Take a look a www.carsdirect.com they have the Titan for under dealer invoice. I have got my last two new vehicals from them, the Vette they ordered from the factory for me and delivered it to my door and the Dodge RAM they hooked me up with a fleet manager at a dealership.
Titan List: $37,000
CarsDirect: $32,000
http://www.carsdirect.com

HCS
03-30-2005, 10:17 AM
The counter measure parts for the Nissan Titan/Armada are being released this week.
The parts to be replaced are as follows.
40206-ZC00A FRONT ROTORS
41060-ZC025 FRONT PADS
44060-ZC025 REAR PADS
41005-7S000 TORQUE MEMBER ANCHOR BOLTS.
Complete brakes will be replaced on all vehicles that have had the brakes replaced atleast 2 or more times. Which is almost all of them.
Supply is limited. So call your dealer to get the parts ordered.
Specify the counter measure brake replacement.
Get in line. :messedup:

LITTLE D
03-30-2005, 10:23 AM
F**k The French