PDA

View Full Version : Bit the muffler bullet

That Guy
03-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Thought some of you who are looking at different muffler options would like to hear what we did. We installed the replacement HPI tips on our 25' Advantage. We are running a stock 496 HO. Had Advantage do the work on Saturday morning and we launched later that day. Apparently, Mercury has used HPI mufflers when they have done their own testing and (although I don't know for sure) it appears that these will not void your warranty. I would call Merc. to be sure.
We thought we would try the Marina and see how we did.....the gentleman at the booth told us we would have to be tested and we met the guy down in lane 1. Launched the boat, let it warm up a bit and tested at 80db. I was surprised it was that low, but was happy to be well within the range. For the record, the two employees at the marina were very friendly, decent guys. They were professional and even joked with us about the testing, etc.
Only ran the boat for about 1 hour but it looks like we lost about 200rpm's and maybe 2-3 mph. I wasn't happy about that, but it wasn't terrible either. The boat still sounds like a performance boat, just a little quieter. If you have any other questions, let me know.

franky
03-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Manufacturer? Arer they clamp on or replacement tips?

That Guy
03-02-2005, 03:30 PM
HPI is the manufacturer and they were the replacement tips. As usual, the Advantage guys were great to deal with and the whole process took maybe 20 minutes....

Big Bear
03-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Yeah, Kevin and Bob have been very good to me too. Last Mem. weekend after 1 hour on the water on Fri. my warning light went off. Low drive oil. Had a leak, could see oil in the bilge. Advantage swarmed all over my boat and discovered the problem, fixable under Merc warranty. Pulled strings and got me in the Merc service center right away and I had the boat back Sat. by noon. Saved my weekend!!! I have the 28 Victory with 496 HO but after reading the tests in ***boat, decided to go with the Gibson Bullets. Gonna mount them this weekend.

INSman
03-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Thought some of you who are looking at different muffler options would like to hear what we did. We installed the replacement HPI tips on our 25' Advantage. We are running a stock 496 HO. Had Advantage do the work on Saturday morning and we launched later that day. Apparently, Mercury has used HPI mufflers when they have done their own testing and (although I don't know for sure) it appears that these will not void your warranty. I would call Merc. to be sure.
We thought we would try the Marina and see how we did.....the gentleman at the booth told us we would have to be tested and we met the guy down in lane 1. Launched the boat, let it warm up a bit and tested at 80db. I was surprised it was that low, but was happy to be well within the range. For the record, the two employees at the marina were very friendly, decent guys. They were professional and even joked with us about the testing, etc.
Only ran the boat for about 1 hour but it looks like we lost about 200rpm's and maybe 2-3 mph. I wasn't happy about that, but it wasn't terrible either. The boat still sounds like a performance boat, just a little quieter. If you have any other questions, let me know.
Maybe you can make up some of the rpm loss with a different pitch prop ? ;)

Kilrtoy
03-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Steve,
RACK'EM, Gotta love it.......
Glad to hear it worked out for ya....

That Guy
03-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Yeah, Kevin and Bob have been very good to me too. Last Mem. weekend after 1 hour on the water on Fri. my warning light went off. Low drive oil. Had a leak, could see oil in the bilge. Advantage swarmed all over my boat and discovered the problem, fixable under Merc warranty. Pulled strings and got me in the Merc service center right away and I had the boat back Sat. by noon. Saved my weekend!!! I have the 28 Victory with 496 HO but after reading the tests in ***boat, decided to go with the Gibson Bullets. Gonna mount them this weekend.
Glad you had a good experience as well. I have found the Advantage guys to be absolutely great.....I called Kevin on Friday and said I would like to come by on Saturday. He said no problem even though they sold 42 boats at the LA show and surely have more than enough work....When I arrived, he jumped right on it and we were done in less than 1/2 hour....great customer service......except for that Gibbons guy. :p :yuk: :p

That Guy
03-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Maybe you can make up some of the rpm loss with a different pitch prop ? ;)
I hope so....labbed 24, here I come. If anyone is looking to unload a labbed 24, let me know.

bunny 166
03-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out, neighbor!! See you on the lake this summer! :D

That Guy
03-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out, neighbor!! See you on the lake this summer! :D
Hopefully in a few weeks.... ;) :D ;)

NuckinFutz
03-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Steve, if you are currently running a non-labbed 24 you want to get rid of let me know. I'd like to pick a 24 up to run. I tried a 24 last summer at Powell and it seems to run fine up here and I'm just going to try some slip in inserts for the trips to Havasu since the boys at Powell aren't getting to uptight about the noise so far. I'm trying to plan a trip in April and will let you know for sure and if you want you can try my 22 non-labbed to see how it runs with the new exhaust.

That Guy
03-03-2005, 07:24 AM
Steve, if you are currently running a non-labbed 24 you want to get rid of let me know. I'd like to pick a 24 up to run. I tried a 24 last summer at Powell and it seems to run fine up here and I'm just going to try some slip in inserts for the trips to Havasu since the boys at Powell aren't getting to uptight about the noise so far. I'm trying to plan a trip in April and will let you know for sure and if you want you can try my 22 non-labbed to see how it runs with the new exhaust.
Deal....I don't know when I will get rid of the 24 if at all, but we should be able to work out something when you are here. Do you guys have dates yet? Let us know......

NuckinFutz
03-03-2005, 09:09 AM
We've told the kids we'll take them to the Poker Run the last weekend of April. We watched it last year and they want to see the race to the first card stop again this year. I'm going to make some reservations today if there are any rooms left at Havasu.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
03-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Glad you had a good experience as well. I have found the Advantage guys to be absolutely great.....I called Kevin on Friday and said I would like to come by on Saturday. He said no problem even though they sold 42 boats at the LA show and surely have more than enough work....When I arrived, he jumped right on it and we were done in less than 1/2 hour....great customer service......except for that Gibbons guy. :p :yuk: :p
OK BEAN COUNTER.........Your on the list Pal !!! :devil:
Greetings from Boston.......
Heading home today......
Later,
CJG
:cool: