PDA

View Full Version : Which Diesel Engine Is Best???

NOTALENT
03-02-2005, 01:50 PM
So lets get the pot all stirred up..and see what wins!!!! What diesel is preferred!! :boxingguy

dicudmore
03-02-2005, 01:52 PM
bored today??

Blacksheep
03-02-2005, 01:53 PM
I'll start....Cummins Turbo Diesel ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Top 10 Symptoms of Turbo Diesel Disease
1. You go outside before bed in your slippers and bathrobe to hear your Turbo Diesel run one more time.
2. While you are out in the desert someone says, "Watch for rattlers." You scan the horizon for a Turbo Diesel.
3. You position the side view mirror to see when your tailpipe is lined up with the sports-car's open window.
4. When walking through a parking lot, you can tell the difference between a Ford, GM and Dodge diesel without looking.
5. When someone tells you your truck is loud, you tell them it's truck testosterone.
6. After installing performance parts, you drive around hoping to end up at a light with a Ford.
7. You tell your spouse that the performance kit will double your mileage and you must buy it.
8. You go to a truck stop and leave your engine running while you go in for coffee.
9. Whenever there are men around, you open the hood and pretend to be checking something.
10. Your idea of a "sound system" is under the hood.
:D Gotta luv em!!!

NOTALENT
03-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Bored...yup..and I have been looking at each..and well personally Its between chevy and Dodge..but dodges look more rugged, mean and tough..to where as the chevys more a girls truck..lol..Although..I love Chevy with a passion..it just looks more feminine.

oldbuck40
03-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Bored...yup..and I have been looking at each..and well personally Its between chevy and Dodge..but dodges look more rugged, mean and tough..to where as the chevys more a girls truck..lol..Although..I love Chevy with a passion..it just looks more feminine.hey notalent its been a while since we've talked ,i think it was back around the time the JONES'S were on the board... hey DODGE is the answer! they may not have the best looking truck but the cummins makes up for it,i have a 350 4x4 and love it,if you ever do any off roading its the way to go,you will hate the chevy 350 4x4 for off road cause it doesnt have near the stock ground clearance of a dodge,,matter of stock chevy 4x4 have almost the same clearance of a 2 wd chevy,,my dad has a chevy 350 4x4 and just hate's it cause he's allways bottoming out on stuff out in the woods

NOTALENT
03-02-2005, 02:27 PM
hey notalent its been a while since we've talked ,i think it was back around the time the JONES'S were on the board... hey DODGE is the answer! they may not have the best looking truck but the cummins makes up for it,i have a 350 4x4 and love it,if you ever do any off roading its the way to go,you will hate the chevy 350 4x4 for off road cause it doesnt have near the stock ground clearance of a dodge,,matter of stock chevy 4x4 have almost the same clearance of a 2 wd chevy,,my dad has a chevy 350 4x4 and just hate's it cause he's allways bottoming out on stuff out in the woods
haha yeah its been a while..I now love the way the dodges look..inside and out..I have a ram1500 1997 right now..and man I have done some things to that truck..that amazed me..I actually test drove the dodge two nights ago..and man it was superb!! lol..thanks for ur input.

4-B
03-02-2005, 02:31 PM
The detroit 6v92 was good in its time. The Cummins L10 is pretty reliable and the CAT 3306 runs good. :boxed:

wantacat
03-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I would go with the ford, that is my next truck. I think the dodge is nice good luck with your purchase!! I wish i can turn my truck in right now and get the diesel. Too much money for me right now at 22 so i bought an 04 f150 screw. Gets the job done for now.

Jrocket
03-02-2005, 03:02 PM
3. You position the side view mirror to see when your tailpipe is lined up with the sports-car's open window.
4. When walking through a parking lot, you can tell the difference between a Ford, GM and Dodge diesel without looking.
Yep!

Jordy
03-02-2005, 03:12 PM
The detroit 6v92 was good in its time.
The Silver 8V-92 wasn't bad either. Nothing beats the sound of a rapped out 2 stroke Detroit. We get some firetrucks in the shop from time to time that have Silver 92's in them. Just nothing like them. :D

racecar.hotshoe
03-02-2005, 03:30 PM
King Of The Hill Cat 625-HP C15 Debuts
Come this fall, Caterpillar will offer a high performance heavy duty truck engine: the "King of the Hill" 625 horsepower C15. Cat will also offer the C15 in a 600 horsepower rating. These ratings complement the Cat lineup of C7, C9, C11 and C13 - all equipped with the ACERT technology. In addition, several new ratings will be introduced for the C11 and C13 at the same time.
With 2,050 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,200 rpm and constant torque to 1,700 rpm, the King of the Hill C15 will provide performance for owner-operators and heavy haulers working in the most extreme heavy-duty applications. Maximum horsepower of 625 is developed at 1,800 rpm, with 595 horsepower at 2,100 rpm. This rating has 38% torque rise.
The engine has higher flow series turbochargers, a unique camshaft and the next generation Caterpillar electronic control module (ECM). :D :D

Blacksheep
03-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Yep!
Someone after my own heart :D :cool:

Tom Brown
03-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Volkswagen TDI. :cool:

Jordy
03-02-2005, 03:39 PM
all equipped with the ACERT technology.
ACERT is crap. Having grown up with my Dad working for the Cat dealer I can tell you right now that there are not alot of people happy with the Acert technology. They burned a few trucks to the ground before it ever hit the roads. Twin sequential turbos under the passenger floorboards create a lot of heat in the cab, like enough to cook on according to some of the people I've talked to with it. Also the mileage sucks compared to the old non Acert engines. Oh well, they just sell them and go jump behind the wheel of something with a Series 60 in it and live happily ever after. ;) :D
All because they didn't want to use EGR because running a small percentage of exhaust gas back through the engine to clean it up again creates heat. Yeah, and twin turbos dont??? :idea:

Excessive Force
03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Cummins is some loud ass shiot

lucky
03-02-2005, 03:43 PM
ahh - this poll was only inside the box the real deal is a cat 1693 tta but the epa did not like this sort of power -
3408 b cat
600 cummings tta
or a 12v71 tta yea - if it ain't leaking oil , it aint running right ! :D

lucky
03-02-2005, 03:45 PM
The Silver 8V-92 wasn't bad either. Nothing beats the sound of a rapped out 2 stroke Detroit. We get some firetrucks in the shop from time to time that have Silver 92's in them. Just nothing like them. :D
dam fishing boats ... :messedup:

Ziggy
03-02-2005, 03:59 PM
:D Gotta luv em!!!
Thats for damn sure. :220v:
You can hear the cummins comin' about 4 miles away, the Ford about 2 blocks and the Cheby about a block.
Either way I'll stick with my 7.3PSD Ford, thanks.

CornWater
03-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Is'nt Cat now building camless engines??

OC-PARTYCAT
03-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Dodge...the cummins does kick ass but, thats the only thing youll have left after the whole friggin truck falls apart around the motor, especially the tranny.

stoker
03-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Dodge...the cummins does kick ass but, thats the only thing youll have left after the whole friggin truck falls apart around the motor, especially the tranny.
I think they fixed the tranny problem in 01. Mine is an auto and has 150,000 miles on it. I tow a 30' fifth wheel and a 34' magic with it, no problems.

PHX ATC
03-02-2005, 05:02 PM
2001 6 speed Cummins
2004 Auto Cummins
We like 'em, but then again, all diesel trucks are the shiat! :p

DogHouse
03-02-2005, 05:11 PM
They're all junk! :D

Domn8er
03-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Ford Power Stroke all the way...and this is coming from a guy who was all Chevy until I got the new Power Stroke. Tows the most in is class. Good ground clearance and more room in the cabin than Chevy.

INSman
03-02-2005, 06:09 PM
This reponse is really the "core" of what was asked. Making a decision on engine alone would be absolutely absurd, but to each his own :hammerhea

INSman
03-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Ford Power Stroke all the way...and this is coming from a guy who was all Chevy until I got the new Power Stroke. Tows the most in is class. Good ground clearance and more room in the cabin than Chevy.
My buddy already has his new 2005 Ford King Ranch with the Powersmoker in for service, as he blew up the turbo in the first 5,000 miles !!! :jawdrop:

Havasu Cig
03-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Duramax all the way and this coming from a guy that had his Power Stroke Lemoned. :D

DryHeatOnly
03-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Hey NOTALENT...if you buy the DMax you might as well buy an Isuzu :D
Oh. Wait a minute. :rollside:

Dusty Times
03-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Power Stroke unless I can get a CAT.

NuckinFutz
03-02-2005, 10:07 PM
The Dodge tranny is weak, I know I bought a new one. For those who want to make their Dodge work like it should an aftermarket tranny from AST makes all the difference. I just picked up the New "used" Ford with a 7.3 last week and haven't pulled the boat with it yet, but will see soon whether I pull with the Dodge or the Ford.

Tahiti350
03-02-2005, 10:22 PM
'93 Dodge Cummins D350 ext cab daulie with the Getrag (Go Get a Rag) 5 speed, only 117,000 miles on the clock, now making 248 rear wheel hp (stock was 165 at the crank), and have the dyno sheets to prove it. :D
Has the Dr. Performance full mod package (pump and injector mod's), 3.5" exhaust, K&N filter, and the heavy exhaust springs to work with the exhaust brake. Had to have the Trans rebuilt at 76,000, and again at 100,000. If it goes away again I am upgrading to the NV4500 with an auxillary overdrive. I pull a 30' 5th wheel with slide, and get 15 mpg pulling, and 18-19 running empty.
Only complaints I have are the weak ass trans, and the fact that now I'm tweaking the frame, bowing up in the center from the torque.

Dawn Patrol
03-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Just buy the 8.1 / Allison combo. Can't go wrong. Just make sure you know where all of the Gas stations are. My truck hates to pass one up while pulling my 40' trailer.
My next Truck will be a Ford with the Power Stoke. It will be the first Ford Truck I've owed since I was 19.

Indiansprings
03-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Powerstroke. :cool:

STV_Keith
03-02-2005, 10:55 PM
You cannot beat the Cummins engine. Nothing else out there comes close in a light duty truck. Upgradeability is second to none as well.
Put it in front of a 6-speed manual trans and you have the towing monster you always wanted.
My personal rig is 511hp/1052tq to the wheels, daily driver. Gets 17mpg the way I drive it (not easy).
The 3rd gen trucks are the cats ass though. HUGE brakes, tighest turning radius, quiet Cummins - all around the best truck.

HammerDown
03-03-2005, 06:00 AM
You cannot beat the Cummins engine. Nothing else out there comes close in a light duty truck. Upgradeability is second to none as well.
The 3rd gen trucks are the cats ass though. HUGE brakes, tighest turning radius, quiet Cummins - all around the best truck.
To bad it doesn't come in a F250.

WaterBox
03-03-2005, 07:43 AM
V8 Mack All the way!! :crossx: Actually, Diesel's SUCK!! :yuk:

Jordy
03-03-2005, 07:45 AM
Blah, blah, blah, blah. You still have to drive a Dodge though. :jawdrop: :D :hammer2: :D

hoolign
03-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Bored...yup..and I have been looking at each..and well personally Its between chevy and Dodge..but dodges look more rugged, mean and tough..to where as the chevys more a girls truck..lol..Although..I love Chevy with a passion..it just looks more feminine.
They must have different designs down there, because the new dodges up her look like they were built for grandma and granpa to go to bingo with, The dodges and fords don't hold up to abuse, The fords are constantly beating out front ends because the P-stroke is so damn heavy, And the dodges ride like a tank once your off road. But I dont imagine your running the kind of roads we are. As far as rugged looking I think Ford has that side won.
Cummins is by far the most dependable motor.

Danhercules
03-03-2005, 07:50 AM
Just motor? Dodge.
Best truck? Chevy.
Easy to lift? Ford. (easy to put the parts back on after they fall off!!!)

Tahiti350
03-03-2005, 07:51 AM
I'd rather drive my Old Dodge than be seen in your Ford. I like the Duramax/Allison combo for the bulletproof trans, but if someone gave me a Ford it would go straight back to the dealer, and I would take the money and head for the Dodge dealer for a Gen3 Cummins. If you like your Ford, that is what matters, if we all liked the exact same thing life would suck.

Eliminator 4 Life
03-03-2005, 07:55 AM
NOTALENT first of all you aint buying shit you are a lil shit starter ha ha :hammerhea

Jordy
03-03-2005, 07:58 AM
NOTALENT first of all you aint buying shit you are a lil shit starter ha ha :hammerhea
True, but his buddy's dad is going to loan him a truck for the summer so he's trying to narrow it down. :hammerhea :eek: :D

hoolign
03-03-2005, 08:00 AM
What are his choices? :idea:

CMABadseed
03-03-2005, 08:37 AM
just bought an 05 dodge 2500 cummins/auto tranny. its badass, i only have 1500 miles on it. its a little quieter than the old ones, but you dont loose the sound of "the D". Someone mentioned the turning radius too, its incredible, my f150 didnt turn half as well as this thing.
i'll post some pics once i wash the damn thing.....fahkin salesman.....a black truck! one trip to ocotillo and its wasted! haha

Eliminator 4 Life
03-03-2005, 08:42 AM
True, but his buddy's dad is going to loan him a truck for the summer so he's trying to narrow it down. :hammerhea :eek: :D
If its free take what you get :D

NOTALENT
03-03-2005, 08:42 AM
actually I may...but I was thinking when we were in havasu..when WYRD'S Dodge Spanked Yo CHEBY!!! It got me thinking.. :boxingguy :D

NOTALENT
03-03-2005, 08:44 AM
watch yo self jordy!! the 482 is coming out quite nice though :D and he just gave it to me sooo..no complaints. Im just waiting for my power steering line and Exhuast gaskets.. :D

Eliminator 4 Life
03-03-2005, 08:44 AM
actually I may...but I was thinking when we were in havasu..when WYRD'S Dodge Spanked Yo CHEBY!!! It got me thinking.. :boxingguy :D
Fawk maybe and I dont have a cheby krunk Fawk ha ha its a GMC and we can do it next weekend if you want :hammerhea :2purples:

NOTALENT
03-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Fawk maybe and I dont have a cheby krunk Fawk ha ha its a GMC and we can do it next weekend if you want :hammerhea :2purples:
Ive got the 5.9 cummins waiting at josh's house!!! :crossx: damn..u finally get to see the sickes shop out there too..!!

Jordy
03-03-2005, 09:18 AM
watch yo self jordy!!
Or???? :idea: :D

NOTALENT
03-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Or???? :idea: :D
were gonna have to go one's with some goose!! :eek: :hammer2:

Jordy
03-03-2005, 09:23 AM
were gonna have to go one's with some goose!! :eek: :hammer2:
:sleeping: :notam: :rolleyes:

Riverjet502
03-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Just ask your self one question
Would you rather be "Stroken" or "Cumming" The Dodge is by far easier to do pm on then the other two makes... Just my $.02 worth.