PDA

View Full Version : K&N air filters

dimarcobros
03-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Anyone have any info/advise on these? Do they really help that much?
DMB

jdf
03-02-2005, 03:04 PM
ihave one on my f 350 diesel i really didn't see a change in mpg

dimarcobros
03-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Just the filter or the whole package?
DMB

68campbell
03-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I saw a substantal increase in power and MPG in my 1/2 ton chevy and I know they do a better job at keeping dirt out. I am kind of biased though due to the fact they sponsor my race car.

dimarcobros
03-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Will replacing just the filter do the trick or should I get the whole package?
DMB

jdf
03-02-2005, 03:13 PM
i got just the filter on my truck

One Particular Harbor
03-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Honestly, I was fairly skeptical at first when my mechanic proposed the K&N filter (just the filter itself, not the whole system that K&N offers). But, they offered to recharge it for free for the first several times, which meant that it was ultimately cheaper than replacing standard filters over time.
However, I have been really pleased with the results. I have picked up about 3/4 of a mile per gallon on average. It's not much, but when you're getting a little under 12 mpg, an extra 3/4 or 1 mpg is ~8% improvement in mileage. Also, it helps the 6.0 breathe a little better and, overall, the truck feels a bit peppier, especially off of the line.
Not bad for $60 or so.
OPH

4day!!
03-02-2005, 03:38 PM
The K&N drop in filter actually hurt my gas mileage. I just installed the kit (FIPK) and it rocks. I also have a magnaflow catback system. The whole air intake kit requires a less restrictive after market exhaust to get the most out of it. Air in = air out.. Just dont' over exhaust you vehicle..

Squirtin Thunder
03-02-2005, 03:56 PM
The K&N drop in filter actually hurt my gas mileage. I just installed the kit (FIPK) and it rocks. I also have a magnaflow catback system. The whole air intake kit requires a less restrictive after market exhaust to get the most out of it. Air in = air out.. Just dont' over exhaust you vehicle..
100% agreed

Budget Baller
03-02-2005, 04:06 PM
I put one on the Suburban, its a 1/2 ton. I averaged 14.5-15 miles per gallon going to Havasu before and now I am getting 16.7 on most trips. I bought the whole intake system with the chrome tube for $225.00 from a friend in the business. The only downside I have with it is that you can hear that thing sucking air, especially when you accelerate, it is much louder than stock.
Worth the money in my opinion.

Dr. Eagle
03-02-2005, 04:13 PM
I have them in all my vehicles. Biggest difference was in the Wrangler...
But it was a noticable improvement in all my vehicles...

phebus
03-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Put one on my boat with the 496HO. Didn't notice any improvement, but I now have better filtering, so thayt is an improvement. Also, don't have the irritating whistling sound the stock FA gave me.

Flying Tiger
03-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Take good care of it.
Oil it regularly dirty or not, clean it (the K&n cleaner is supurb), dry it and re oil it again and follow the instructions.

mirvin
03-02-2005, 04:27 PM
You will see the best enhancement with a complete package: Chip, exhaust, and intake.
I had the chip and the exhaust and it was so so. Then I added the K&N Filter Charger and POW!! GOod stuff.
mirvin ;)

BarryMac
03-02-2005, 04:29 PM
I put the FIPK on my 2500HD with the 8.1L motor, I didn't see ant change in mileage but did see a change in performance, the truck definitely seems to have more HP over stock. If you do it do your exhaust as well, you will see good improvements from both...

mirvin
03-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Oh yeah, about the mileage: The problem is that once you get that thing growling from both ends it's just hard to drive "gently" :D
mirvin

dimarcobros
03-02-2005, 04:41 PM
So what am I looking at for the complete package? (k&N, chip, exhaust...)
Thanks for all the input by the way.
DMB

mirvin
03-02-2005, 04:49 PM
I think it depends on the vehicle. Exhaust obviously would need to be installed unless you can do that yourself. Also, you may need to buy the whole computer if a chip isn't available.
Have you looked into parts cost yet? Here's my guess:
Exhaust 3 to 5 hundy
chip or comp 1 to 5 hundy
filter charger around 3 hundy
I'm just guessing as I haven't looked at these parts for awhile.
mirvin

77charger
03-02-2005, 04:57 PM
be careful if you havea warranty issue my brothers father inlaw is a gm service manager and there is a notice about overoiled filters and mass air flow sensor failure.
To me it takes more than a filter to notice any hp increase i have ran a couple but had problems with dirt still entering so i ditched them for stock filters.they wer oiled too(i end up in very dusty areas at times).i aint a fan but thats my opinion and your choice to decide on what you want to buy if you like it buy it.

HCS
03-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Page BowTieRick. Or better yet send him a PM.
He's the man!!!

HCS
03-02-2005, 05:12 PM
BowTie Rick
Naked Bullfighter
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar1852_0.gif

team 933
03-02-2005, 05:26 PM
All Hype...............drive Your Car With Out Any Air Filter...........k&n Spends Millions To Make You Think It Works...all Hype

4day!!
03-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Oh yeah, about the mileage: The problem is that once you get that thing growling from both ends it's just hard to drive "gently" :D
mirvin
Absolutely correct. Especially when i run the performance program on my Superchip Programmer. It's hard to stay off the pedal. I end up getting worse mpg than ever because i love gettin' on it!!

4day!!
03-02-2005, 06:01 PM
So what am I looking at for the complete package? (k&N, chip, exhaust...)
Thanks for all the input by the way.
DMB
About $1,000-$1,200 for everything. You can save some $$ if your vehicle already has mandrel bent tubing, then you can go with just the muffler. Don't let them tell you you have to use a different mandrel bent tubing. MBT is MBT..
Look on ebay for programmers and reseasrch which one you need. Be careful though most of the programmers can only be used on one vehicle at a time. The stock program needs to be returned to the vehicle from the programmer before it can be used on another vehicle. It's called VIN Locked..
DMB[/QUOTE]

Kindsvater Flat
03-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Just forwarded this to a guy who works at K&N

jbtrailerjim
03-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Page BowTieRick. Or better yet send him a PM.
He's the man!!!
I second this. Rick can probably answer any questions you might have about K&N, since he works for them.

ahhell
03-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Got the 2" and the breater lid on the Camaro and seems to work great, and the million mile warranty is hard to beat...dont mind the duct tape :hammerhea
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1518111_1115.JPG

Danhercules
03-03-2005, 08:00 AM
I wish I knew. I am still waiting. :coffeycup

Essex502
03-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Got the 2" and the breater lid on the Camaro and seems to work great, and the million mile warranty is hard to beat...dont mind the duct tape :hammerhea
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1518111_1115.JPG
No offense but you're a typical Hot Rodder! Beautiful clean, polished motor and duct tape on the firewall! :D Things haven't changed since I started hot rodding 33 years ago!

JustMVG
03-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Let me say first that i have K and N filters on all my vehicles ( a big thanks to Bow Tie Rick) except for my street bike and thats coming soon, the link below is not to knock any filter system but is just there to inform and to let anyone who has any doubts about System A or system B, i got this link from an RV forum RV.net to be exact, read it and decide for yourself, i like and prefer the K and N systems and have had no problems except keeping my foot out of the throttle. Properly set up with air filter and the right exhaust you will gain more mpg, but i know that having the extra "ooomph" is nice but using it all the time your gonna get poor gas milage.
MikeVG
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

BowTie Rick
03-04-2005, 04:19 PM
All Hype...............drive Your Car With Out Any Air Filter...........k&n Spends Millions To Make You Think It Works...all Hype
Are you on glue? :notam: Want a tour of the R&D facilities, test lab, etc? I am 100% certain it would change your mind. :p

BowTie Rick
03-04-2005, 04:25 PM
be careful if you havea warranty issue my brothers father inlaw is a gm service manager and there is a notice about overoiled filters and mass air flow sensor failure.
To me it takes more than a filter to notice any hp increase i have ran a couple but had problems with dirt still entering so i ditched them for stock filters.they wer oiled too(i end up in very dusty areas at times).i aint a fan but thats my opinion and your choice to decide on what you want to buy if you like it buy it.
Read it again, carefully from a lawyers point of view. Notice the italicized Use of an oiled filter does not void the warranty and how they use the word could in almost every sentence. You could die from driving or be car jacked too. Doesn't necessarily mean it will happen. We have tested over 200 supposedly bad mass air sensors and all worked or had other problems. We even had GM engineers over and showed them a mass air sensor submerged in a bucket of oil. Needless to say, they were impressed when it still worked. I can go on for hours about things we do to make sure the end user is 100% safe. No one (even Fram) goes through the shit we do before releasing products. They work period. :hammer2:

team 933
03-04-2005, 05:29 PM
:hammerhea all hype and nothing but hype

77charger
03-04-2005, 10:12 PM
They work period. :hammer2:
so are you saying i will get a seat in the pants feel?or my boat will go from 59 to 62 if so i'd buy one.Had one on my suburban like i said let dirt thru(was oiled) and when replaced with a stock i felt no loss in power or gain.and every real life test i have seen only shows very slight improvement or none at all
but if people feel they get their moneys worth well its their money and happiness.

quiet riot
03-04-2005, 10:48 PM
I've had good luck with the k&n. The biggest thing for me was a one time purchase that lasts forever. I had to change the stock filter on my 1/2 ton ford every 10-15 k miles due to the amount of dusty roads and such I drive on. If I didn't I would start losing a couple mpg due to the restriction of the stock filter being dirty. I can almost double the mileage between cleaning with the k&n and the ducting to the intake stays much cleaner (has a better seal than the cheap factory ones that let dirt by, and seems to filter better.)
I gained 34 rear wheel hp with a chip, exhaust, and k&n filter on the pickup, but i can't say what added what.
I have one on my lincoln ls and one on the boat now also (flame arrestor approved.) Even the lincoln ls stock filter wasn't as good at keeping dirt outta the intake tubing as the k&n is.
just my exp,
jd

team 933
03-04-2005, 10:52 PM
HYPE NOTHING BUT HYPE..............MORE HP BS............SPEND MILLIONS ON HYPE=====SALES :argue:

Jordy
03-04-2005, 11:04 PM
My $0.02 worth. I've run them on pretty much every thing I've owned, back to a '73 Blazer with a 383 in high school through junior college, 70K+ miles, next was an '88 Chevy 454 in a crew cab dually, 110K+ miles, a '94 Chevy crew cab 4x4 with a 6.5 turbo diesel, 180K miles before I sold it (knew it from the time it was brand new), 245K total, all with a K&N, an '02 crew cab HD with a Duramax, K&N FIPK kit with 60K on it, an '04 Chevy HD Duramax, 25K K&N drop in filter, all my boats, my Banshee with the air box replacment that sees nothing but Glamis sand... Pretty much everything I've ever owned (if they made one for my CR250 I'd buy one too), almost 500,000 miles, and I've never had an air filter related failure. :D

dave186
03-05-2005, 01:48 AM
i dont trust a cotton gauze filter for off road stuff. would rather have an oiled foam filter for that. but i do have a K&N on my truck and have had one on all my previous vehicles, but they rarely see a gravel road, let alone dirt mud or sand, so they dont ever get exposed to much stuff to filter out. as far as a performance increase, that varies with the application and exactly how crappy the stock system is.

BowTie Rick
03-05-2005, 12:38 PM
so are you saying i will get a seat in the pants feel?or my boat will go from 59 to 62 if so i'd buy one.Had one on my suburban like i said let dirt thru(was oiled) and when replaced with a stock i felt no loss in power or gain.and every real life test i have seen only shows very slight improvement or none at all
but if people feel they get their moneys worth well its their money and happiness.
Hell no, you realy don't get a seat of the pants feel until around 12 HP. A drop in filter does a 3 - 5 % HP increase and an intake kit does about 5 - 8 %. If you had any issues with dirt passing, it was either a sealing issue or a leak somewhere. I am certain it was not going through the media any more than it would with paper.

BowTie Rick
03-05-2005, 12:42 PM
HYPE NOTHING BUT HYPE..............MORE HP BS............SPEND MILLIONS ON HYPE=====SALES :argue:
Dude, who are you? How can it be hype? Are you saying al the people here that had positive experiences are crazy? Do you work for Arab Filter Enterprises? I'll ask again, if you are local to Riverside, PM me and I'll arrange for a day in the test lab and R&D. I can prove you wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt but I will not argue here. These people are my friends and I think its nuts when people argue on line. That is the last you will hear from me. If you still think its hype, take me up on the tour.

BowTie Rick
03-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Jordy, expect a call from me next week. I have a little something for you :)

Dr. Eagle
03-05-2005, 12:44 PM
:hammerhea all hype and nothing but hype
LMAO...
My experience is very different... no hype just performance. :rolleyes:

HCS
03-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Look na sayers. I had a 1990 Ford Bronco with the 351 completely chocked off with a factory air box. After installing a K&N filter set up the motor woke up!!! Then I thru a pair of headers on it and really came alive. The K&N set ups might not be that responsive in all situations but I'm sold on them.
Now I have the same set up on my Suburban thanks to BTR. You rock!!!!!!! :cool: