PDA

View Full Version : Skylights

WetWillie
03-03-2005, 08:17 PM
I am looking for some skylights for a room in my house that does not recieve alot of light! I was thinking about those Solotubes but I need as much light as possible. The room is 30ft by 20ft. How many do I need? Do they work?
Should I look at another skylight??
W :confused:

bunny 166
03-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Hey Willie--Darrin put two in our friends' garage that was approx. 20 X 20. They let in quite a bit of light. He says 4 should do the trick, and they work well for the money :D

WetWillie
03-03-2005, 08:55 PM
What size or brand do you know??
Thanks,

Mandelon
03-03-2005, 08:58 PM
If all you want is light, Solatube is fine.
If you don't want it to look like a cheap Home Depot flourescent light fixture get a real skylight. IMO they just look cheap.
I know a real skylight is more work, cuz you have to finish the cavity, but it is soooo much nicer.

WetWillie
03-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Mandy do you guys do this stuff?? I agree! Its our formal room and has a cathedrial ceiling 20ft ceilings..
If all you want is light, Solatube is fine.
If you don't want it to look like a cheap Home Depot flourescent light fixture get a real skylight. IMO they just look cheap.
I know a real skylight is more work, cuz you have to finish the cavity, but it is soooo much nicer.

Mandelon
03-03-2005, 09:06 PM
In that case you should invest in some quality goods. Pella makes a nice one. We've done some with motorized openers and remote controls. Very Kewl. Hit the button and they open up, hit it again and they close up tight. Done right, the well can be bigger and really open up a room.
Come see what my wacky neighbor has done, you will dig it. I live in UC off Regents and the 52.
You're gonna end up painting the whole ceiling, and doing some drywall work, but it will be worth it for sure.

bunny 166
03-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Willie, I didn't know it was for such a nice room---I'm with Mandy. Pella makes beautiful windows and skylights.....since money is no object for you!!! :wink: :wink: :) :)

ROZ
03-03-2005, 09:26 PM
WW, if you go with the IR remote models Mandy suggeste, run it through your Crestron ;)