PDA

View Full Version : Pitbulls

syke-o
03-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Excellent video about pitbulls...
Pitbulls (http://www.deviantart.com/view/11454716/)

Flying Tiger
03-04-2005, 11:24 AM
They're unpredictable at best.
We keep a loaded 38 by the front door because they often run loose in my neighborhood with tragic results.

RiverDave
03-04-2005, 11:24 AM
The sad thing is people are in just flat denial of the truth about these dogs.. :( Most loving loyal dogs a person can own if you ask me.
RD (on my 2nd pit right now)

RiverDave
03-04-2005, 11:26 AM
They're unpredictable at best.
We keep a loaded 38 by the front door because they often run loose in my neighborhood with tragic results.
Depends on who raises them. and what their purpose was for the dog I'd suppose.
I've been attacked by two black labs in my life.. and one of my neighbors in the keys got flat mauled by the "neighborhood golden retriever" just driving along in his golf kart minding his own biz.
RD

Hardin18 II
Amen,
I have had three pits. The most loyal loving dogs in the world.

MRS FLYIN VEE
That is a sad video.. but I do have it in for one pitbull that bit my daughters face .. 45 stitches later and the dog is not put down.. she grew up with the dog. I agree not all pits are mean.. but this one I will shoot next time I see it. my daughter is now scared for life. :cry:
very sad video..

jdf
03-04-2005, 11:27 AM
those folk's that raise them for fighting need to be shot,,our pit's are the most loving and playful dog's and love kids

Not So Fast
03-04-2005, 11:33 AM
RIGHT ON!!! I've had three in my life and although they can be protective as hell they can be as loving an animal as there is. It is sad the way man has turned some of these dogs into the Deadly pit and believe it, it is the human that did it in most cases!! NSF

rvrtoy
03-04-2005, 11:35 AM
I have to agree with RD. My pit bull is the most doscile and loving dog I have ever owned. She rolls around on the floor with my one year old and plays a little more rough with my 9 year old. She is by far the BEST dog I have ever had.
I have been bitten by two dogs in my life. The first is a German Shepard and the second was a miniature pincher. If you do research you will find that more dog bites happen from poodles and smaller dogs than pit bulls. They have a bad reputation because of the jack ass gang bangers and hood rats that raise the for fighting. Those people are in the minority.
Just my .02

Flying Tiger
03-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Depends on who raises them. and what their purpose was for the dog I'd suppose.
I've been attacked by two black labs in my life.. and one of my neighbors in the keys got flat mauled by the "neighborhood golden retriever" just driving along in his golf kart minding his own biz.
RD
You''re right RD, perhaps I'm stretchin' it.
I got attacked by a Doberman once.
My homeowners insurance denies coverage on residences with over 14 other breeds of dogs.
Most the Pit's in the neighborhood are nice dogs, but a rental house a few blocks away has gango's living there,, and their pits are outta control. When one gets loose,, brother.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812RD_s_Birthday__Luau_2004_093-med.jpg
A nice boat passenger to have along when a brawl breaks out at the Roadrunner.- RD 2003
Neva, my favorite dog.

Indiansprings
03-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Is that your dog Tiger? Hes got some Pit in him.

oldbuck40
03-04-2005, 11:43 AM
those folk's that raise them for fighting need to be shot,,our pit's are the most loving and playful dog's and love kidsjdf you might have seen it on the news in dallas the spca took 87 pit bulls from a home where people were raising them for fighting and they found several chains tied to whatever and on the end of the chain were the skelatal remains of a pit bull with the collar still on their neck!!! talk about sick mo fo's!!! i never owned a pit bull but have friends that do and 90% of those dogs are very loving dogs. i have a rottie and i think they are cursed to be in the same boat as the pitt by the folks that just dont understand them! these 2 dogs are so much like a human in the way they react to life its unreal! if you treat them like shiat then you get a shiatty dog just as with a person!!!!!!!

MRS FLYIN VEE
03-04-2005, 11:44 AM
It looks like neava.. RD's pit.. she is awesome too. ;)

Flying Tiger
03-04-2005, 11:45 AM
No, it's Neva, RD's bouncer.
A really teriffic dog.
When we boat through the Keyes, if Nevas out on the docks my kids feed her contraband and get licked deluxe.

jdf
03-04-2005, 11:45 AM
i saw it last night thank god denise didn't see it she would have gone thur the roof and i would have some kids to look after

jdf
03-04-2005, 11:47 AM
mrs v i grew up with a kid that had the samething happen to this day he is very shy of dog's

Lake Ape
03-04-2005, 11:47 AM
I have been bitten four times while doing either estimates or remodels and it's always a freakin' Chow!

oldbuck40
03-04-2005, 11:48 AM
i saw it last night thank god denise didn't see it she would have gone thur the roof and i would have some kids to look afterthat was just f/n pitiful i hope they lock those f'ers up for a while!!!

MRS FLYIN VEE
03-04-2005, 11:50 AM
mrs v i grew up with a kid that had the samething happen to this day he is very shy of dog's
I here ya.. I love all dogs.. except this one.. she actually wanted to go back after her stitches and see that the dog was o.k.. I wanted to kill it.. it had bit 4 other people but we were the only ones that reported it.. actually the dr. did,.. and nothing was done. :cry: she does tend to hide her face though.. :cry:

Coleitis22
03-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Excellent video about pitbulls...
Pitbulls (http://www.deviantart.com/view/11454716/)
It's not the dogs fault. The owners should be shot. These dogs were never a problem until the ghetto moved out of the inner cities. Now it's the low IQ individuals that mistreat these dogs. Unfortunately the law cannot stop the abuse.

Aqua Boogie1
03-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Great video...................Its all in how they are raised!

Bre
03-04-2005, 12:12 PM
That brought a tear to my eyes. Seeing those dogs all messed up like that.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1543lola_and_kendall-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1543andy_and_daisy-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1543d_and_a-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1543daisy_kitchen-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1543daisycamping-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1543daisyball-med.jpg

dmontzsta
03-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Any dog can be aggressive. I have seen little muts that would rip your hand off if you got close to them.
My parents got a pitbull puppy when I was just a baby, full blood american red nose. We had it until I was 14 years old. Best dog ever, he protected when needed and provided playfullness for all the little kids.

Krazy K
03-04-2005, 12:35 PM
I work in the county shelter as a volunteer and the pits I see are the most attention craving dogs in the kennel. Very loving and just want to lick you to death. I totally agree that it is how you raise them.

Tremor Therapy
03-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Dave I could not agree with you more! I too have owned 2 pit bulls in my life. They were 2 of the greatest dogs ever, and the only time I saw my pit bulls go off was:
1) When playing catch with a nerf football...he loved to tear them apart. He would grab the nerf football and just have a blast playing with it for hours at a time!
2) Well, there was the one time that this f'ing scumbag gang banger tried to break into our house.....he jumped over the fence, and tried to crawl through the doggie door that was in the back garage door. 300+ stitches later, the judge awarded the perpetrator $300 in medical costs, and they put my dog down. That was over 30 years ago, and I am still pissed!
Oh, and I have been bitten by a dog 3 times. A german sheperd, a POS Chuihuahua (sp), and a lab/sheperd mix. In fact I can't think of a kid I grew up with who didn't have fun playing with our last pit bull when it got loose....I still miss him. :frown:

Dimarco21
03-04-2005, 12:48 PM
We have owned our Pit Bull for 5 years, we picked her up from a local animal shelter. She has no teeth from the previous idiot that owned her. The most loyal dog we have owned, she sleeps with my 8 year old daughter on her bed every night. She is always leashed when we go outside to eliminate any problems. We know if she were to get in a fight off her leash, she will be the one "put down" because of the pit reputation. Bottom line a great dog and we would not hesitate getting another one. It's idiots that screw these dogs up.

MissHavasuCig
03-04-2005, 12:56 PM
WOW! Amazing video!!!
We're on pits number 3 & 4, and they are great dogs. Like the others are saying, it's how you raise them!!! Our big hundred pounder is just a big baby huey who thinks he's 10lbs. :)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid1/p7d34303ef52d288c7e8e3cb1b8341f71/ff08092c.jpg.orig.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p2dc47344d0f17a30c94f8023af094e02/fb8383bb.jpg.orig.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid1/pbae75a1c6fafb7a1a7518470db67ea6c/ff08099c.jpg.orig.jpg

Roxysnow
03-04-2005, 01:33 PM
I couldn't agree more, it's how the dog is raised!

syke-o
03-04-2005, 01:36 PM
ya the video really struck a nerve with me too.... i think my dog is the best dog anyone could ask for... he sleeps with us everynight, always wants to sit on our lap, and is awesome with my 2 little ones.. my 2 yr old wil come up and bonk him in the head with a toy, poke him, and pull his tail and he wont even flinch.... 2 seconds later i can wresstle with him full strength and he knows the difference completely.... i have a staffordshire bull terrier which is the smaller english version of the pit bull, so he has all the great traits but only 55 lbs full grown.... i also took him to puppy school, and took him to the dog park at least twice a month for his first year so he plays excellent with other dogs... i still trip out though how i can be at a dog park with other responsible dog owners, and they look at me sideways when my dog goes to play with their dog.....

MRS FLYIN VEE
03-04-2005, 01:39 PM
ya the video really struck a nerve with me too.... i think my dog is the best dog anyone could ask for... he sleeps with us everynight, always wants to sit on our lap, and is awesome with my 2 little ones.. my 2 yr old wil come up and bonk him in the head with a toy, poke him, and pull his tail and he wont even flinch.... 2 seconds later i can wresstle with him full strength and he knows the difference completely.... i have a staffordshire bull terrier which is the smaller english version of the pit bull, so he has all the great traits but only 55 lbs full grown.... i also took him to puppy school, and took him to the dog park at least twice a month for his first year so he plays excellent with other dogs... i still trip out though how i can be at a dog park with other responsible dog owners, and they look at me sideways when my dog goes to play with their dog.....
see it is people like that I don't like.. not all dogs are the same.. any dog can turn at any time. But to say all pits or all rotti's or all chow and so on are the same.. they are stuck on stupid. a bad experience with one dog does not mean you hate the breed. :hammerhea :shift:

99 232 baja
03-04-2005, 02:04 PM
The video definitely got me thinking, instead of the dog being dangerous it is the people who mistreat their pitbulls that are a menace to us.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
03-04-2005, 02:27 PM
I HAVE 2 ALSO..GREAT DOS..THEY ARE JUST LIKE PEOPLE..DONT BEAT IT AND IT WONT EAT YOU :D

burtandnancy
03-04-2005, 02:35 PM
I'd rather have a pit than a chimp...

Ion
03-04-2005, 02:48 PM
If you decide to have a pet, you absolutely must tend to it's needs. In my neighborhood I am surrounded by folks who have dogs. And every time someone walks a dog through the neighborhood, or a random varmit walks by, all freakin' hell breaks loose!! They start howling and barking as if they were being tortured. Needless to say, it pisses off the non-dog owners, like myself to no end. This time of year, when the temps are reasonable, the dogs are not subject to extreme temps, but a few months down the road, when temps skyrocket and these same dogs are left outside during the day, the yapping becomes more desperate and prolonged. Guess what? Cops and humane society do absolutely nothing about this. Man's best friend? Hell, for the dogs in my neighborhood, man is a dog's worst enemy...and noone cares.

Havasu Cig
03-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Pits are hand down the best dogs I have ever owned. We also get comments and looks from people when we are walking them from people that have no clue.
I have been bitten by three dogs. The first was a German Shepard, the second was a Chow, and the third was a Golden Retriever / Lab mix. I had to kill the last one. I wish the owner could have taken his place.

fkeys
03-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Here's Dude!!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5776DSC01761-med.JPG
I agree that mean pits usually come from mean people. After I found him, he was the most loving dog to everyone until some drunk f'er got in his face two too many times. Dude reacted much to this guys demise - it took 7 stitches to sew his lip back on! Since then he doesn't much likes anyone, except the family - he hasn't even looked at any of my kids in that way. He's still got his nut - and therefore the testosterone. Whenever anyone comes over, I just put the dogs away - don't wanna risk anything.
Would neutering him calm this aggressive tendency? or whould it kill his spirit? Anyone?

Flying Tiger
03-04-2005, 07:33 PM
I'd rather have a pit than a chimp...
There it is.

Havasu Cig
03-04-2005, 07:38 PM
My male is 7 years old and has not been nuetered (I was going to breed him). I talked to the vet about it and her opinion was that it would probably not do much. Once they get their personality it probably won't change much. She felt the risk outweighed the possible benefit (which is he is horney as $hit and won't leave my female alone sometimes).

fkeys
03-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Dude's about 7 years old too and he's definately set in his ways. But I've been thinking of getting him snipped anyway. My wife's parents raise pits & staffordshire terriers. Dude freaks her mom out! I just hope he doesn't turn on my kids. I don't think he will - he's been around both of them since they were born. Plus he knows i'd kill him.

Havasu Cig
03-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Our dogs love kids. The only problem my male has is he does not Know how big he is and plays a little rough.

fkeys
03-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Pits look and act like freaking cows!! :D

Steph
03-06-2005, 01:11 AM
definately how they are raised. my bf has a half pit bull. he is the most gentle and sweet dog.
i know more people including myself who have been bit my cocker spaniels. :hammer2:

LAPII
03-06-2005, 02:09 AM
Just get a Bullmastiff and you don't have to worry about the controversy.

C-2
03-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Now there's a smart man. A Bull Mastiff, Tosa Inu (Ken) or Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Dogs used to hunt bears and lions...nuff said.
And BTW - there's a difference between a dogbite and a dog killing somebody. Pits lead the pack for fatal attacks.
Kinda like owning a rattlesnake as a pet - might be a great pet - until it bites :eek: :eek: :eek:

repo man
03-06-2005, 10:39 AM
my mastiff is alot more agressive than either one of my pits. you can ask dmonzsta about that. lol

LAPII
03-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Thats because Mastiff's inherently have to dominate any territory with any other dogs around, it's a character SOME have. If you look in to it a lot of stories where Mastiff's don't quite get along with other dogs in household. As far as kids, my son rides, kicks, pokes and just plain tries to intimidate her and she could give a sheet less about him and just sits there till he's bored. My other dog part pit mix has to watch around eating time and when they are getting attention, bcuz the Bullmastiff won't let other dog on porch.

Domn8er
03-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Now there's a smart man. A Bull Mastiff, Tosa Inu (Ken) or Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Dogs used to hunt bears and lions...nuff said.
And BTW - there's a difference between a dogbite and a dog killing somebody. Pits lead the pack for fatal attacks.
Kinda like owning a rattlesnake as a pet - might be a great pet - until it bites :eek: :eek: :eek:
Don't know if this is a fact or not about Pits but if it is...reason would be they are the breed that most illegal dog fights are fought with. Found this little article...
While many circumstances may contribute to a fatal dog attack, the following three factors appear to play a critical role in the display of canine aggression towards humans;
Function of the dog - (Includes: dogs acquired for fighting, guarding/protection or image enhancement)
Owner responsibility - (Includes: dogs allowed to roam loose, chained dogs, dogs and/or children left unsupervised, dogs permitted or encouraged to behave aggressively, animal neglect and/or abuse)
Reproductive status of dog - (Includes: unaltered males dogs, bitches with puppies, children coming between male dog and female dog in estrus)
It is necessary to emphasize that a fatal dog attack is an exceptionally unusual event. Approximating 20 deaths per year in a dog population of 53 million yields an infinitesimal percent of the dog population (.0000004%) involved in a human fatality.
THE BREED FACTOR
Many communities and cities believe that the solution to prevent severe and fatal dog attacks is to label, restrict or ban certain breeds of dogs as potentially dangerous. If the breed of dog was the primary or sole determining factor in a fatal dog attack, it would necessarily stand to reason that since there are literally millions of Rottweilers, Pit Bulls and German Shepherd Dogs in the United States, there would have to be countless more than an approximate 20 human fatalities per year.
Since only an infinitesimal number of any breed is implicated in a human fatality, it is not only unreasonable to characterize this as a specific breed behavior by which judge an entire population of dogs, it also does little to prevent fatal or severe dog attacks as the real causes and events that contribute to a fatal attack are masked by the issue of breed and not seriously addressed.
Pit Bulls in particular have been in a firestorm of bad publicity, and throughout the country Pit Bulls often bear the brunt of breed specific legislation. One severe or fatal attack can result in either restrictions or outright banning of this breed (and other breeds) in a community. While any severe or fatal attack on a person is tragic, there is often a tragic loss of perspective as to degree of dangerousness associated with this breed in reaction to a fatality. Virtually any breed of dog can be implicated in a human fatality.
From 1965 - 2001, there have been at least 36 different breeds/types of dog that have been involved in a fatal attack in the United States. (This number rises to at least 52 breeds/types when surveying fatal attacks worldwide). We are increasingly becoming a society that has less and less tolerance and understanding of natural canine behaviors. Breed specific behaviors that have been respected and selected for over the centuries are now often viewed as unnatural or dangerous. Dogs have throughout the centuries served as protectors and guardians of our property, possessions and families. Dogs have also been used for thousands of years to track, chase and hunt both large and small animals. These natural and selected-for canine behaviors seem to now eliciting fear, shock and a sense of distrust among many people.
There seems to be an ever growing expectation of a "behaviorally homogenized" dog - "Benji" in the shape of a Rottweiler. Breeds of dogs with greater protection instincts or an elevated prey-drive are often unfairly viewed as "aggressive or dangerous". No breed of dog is inherently vicious, as all breeds of dogs were created and are maintained exclusively to serve and co-exist with humans. The problem exists not within the breed of dog, but rather within the owners that fail to control, supervise, maintain and properly train the breed of dog they choose to keep.
I've owned a pit before and never one problem. I currently have a Rottweiler and she thinks she is a lap dog. Again, it's how the dog is raised.

Sherpa
03-06-2005, 04:53 PM
I had a paper route for 3 years as a kid, so I got chased by dogs alot.
I've been bitten twice, first was a huge black lab, and the other was a
large german shepard........ I went home to tell my dad about the shepard,
and he drove to the guys house, knocked on the door, and talked to him
about me getting bit...... the guy was a bit arrogant, up until dad told him
he'd shoot that ****ing dog in the guys house if it ever comes around me
ever again........ 2 weeks later the guy put the dog down.....
Pit's are just sort of a "scary-dog" I know it's all in how they're raised...
for what it's worth, the most notorious dogs I think are cockers.......
--Sherpa

C-2
03-06-2005, 08:07 PM
While I agree wholeheartedly the manner in which a dog is raised is key – sometimes it doesn’t matter, it’s the unknown that’ll get you.
There are a lot of pits floating around who still have the fighting instinct in them – due largely in part because foolish people think it’s cool to have a “bad ass” pit. Few people, and I mean very few, buy their dogs from a registered breeder who shows their dogs and can guarantee temperament. Rather, most people buy or receive them from friends (and there’s a huge difference between a breeder and somebody who breeds their pets part-time and sells them). Three or four generations or owners later, you never know what you are receiving – and you won’t find out until the dog goes psycho.
Which is why pits are dangerous – they usually just don’t bite – they try to kill. No matter if it’s another animal or person – some of them go f*#^#^n nuts. If you’ve ever seen a pit killing another dog or animal – you might also be reserved in your comments about them being great family dogs, since each of the three pits we’ve had that killed other dogs were….surprise, surprise, “family” dogs too.
Clearly there are larger dogs (such as English or Bull Mastiff’s, Danes, Tosa’s and even Rottweiller's) which could more readily kill a person. So how can a relatively small dog such as a pit, be the most dangerous dog?
Cuz they go psycho. How many families have learned this the hard way?
I used to like pits too (not that I dislike them, I’ve just moved on), and would not trust my 2 year old with one. ;)

Havasu Cig
03-06-2005, 08:22 PM
I have to disagree with you on your analysis of Pits as a breed. I have done alot of research and have owned them for almost 20 years. The breed was developed as a fighting dog, to be fought against other dogs in matches. While the dogs were in the "pit" they had to be able to be handled by their owners without posing a danger to any humans in the pit. Any dogs that showed any signs of agression towards humans were quickly put down. For this reason Pits actually don't make the best guard dogs. The breed is not inherintly aggresive towards humans. Pit's are a loyal breed though, and if they think their owner desires them to attack a person they can be trained to do so. Most so called "Pits" that attack people seem to be bred with other breeds of dogs, or are not even pits at all. The news know that a "dog" attacking someone is not a good story, but a "Pit" attacking someone is. You see these stories and they show a picture of a dog that looks like a lab or shepard or some other breed and you realize what bull$hit most of these stories are.If you owned Pits for as long as I have I think you would truly change your opinion about them. They are an awesome breed.

repo man
03-06-2005, 09:03 PM
pits are the MOST loyal dogs of any breed period. like i said before my mastiff bitch is 1000x more agresive than my pits are. i stole a 100% game pit from a guy that was fighting her and she was never a problem with kids or adults. after a while she wasn't dog agresive anymore all she wanted was love.

Bre
03-06-2005, 09:15 PM
While I agree wholeheartedly the manner in which a dog is raised is key – sometimes it doesn’t matter, it’s the unknown that’ll get you.
There are a lot of pits floating around who still have the fighting instinct in them – due largely in part because foolish people think it’s cool to have a “bad ass” pit. Few people, and I mean very few, buy their dogs from a registered breeder who shows their dogs and can guarantee temperament. Rather, most people buy or receive them from friends (and there’s a huge difference between a breeder and somebody who breeds their pets part-time and sells them). Three or four generations or owners later, you never know what you are receiving – and you won’t find out until the dog goes psycho.
Which is why pits are dangerous – they usually just don’t bite – they try to kill. No matter if it’s another animal or person – some of them go f*#^#^n nuts. If you’ve ever seen a pit killing another dog or animal – you might also be reserved in your comments about them being great family dogs, since each of the three pits we’ve had that killed other dogs were….surprise, surprise, “family” dogs too.
Clearly there are larger dogs (such as English or Bull Mastiff’s, Danes, Tosa’s and even Rottweiller's) which could more readily kill a person. So how can a relatively small dog such as a pit, be the most dangerous dog?
Cuz they go psycho. How many families have learned this the hard way?
I used to like pits too (not that I dislike them, I’ve just moved on), and would not trust my 2 year old with one. ;)
We will not leave our kids alone with our dogs.... just because you never know what can happen. We allow our kids to walk on the dogs.... pull their tails.... feed them snacks... ride them... etc. We just don't ever leave them alone in a room with the dogs. Our pits have yet to show any aggression towards a person..... but you just never know.

repo man
03-06-2005, 09:15 PM
look in the paper there are 25 pits sold to one of any other breed of dog for sale so it only makes sense that there would be more fatal atacks by the most common dog. that lady in san fransico wasn't killed by a pit. so the media tried to start in on mastiffs '' mastiff cross breeds, breed to kill'' .
as to the fact that pit ''kill'' other dogs you shouldn't own one if you don't know how to break up a dog fight.

repo man
03-06-2005, 09:19 PM
We will not leave our kids alone with our dogs.... just because you never know what can happen. We allow our kids to walk on the dogs.... pull their tails.... feed them snacks... ride them... etc. We just don't ever leave them alone in a room with the dogs. Our pits have yet to show any aggression towards a person..... but you just never know.
if you have pits and kids it's not a good idea to punnish the child infront of the dog, if the think you are harming the child the dog might defend the child.pits really bond with children and will give there lives to protect them.

C-2
03-06-2005, 09:27 PM
I have to disagree with you on your analysis of Pits as a breed. I have done alot of research and have owned them for almost 20 years. The breed was developed as a fighting dog, to be fought against other dogs in matches. While the dogs were in the "pit" they had to be able to be handled by their owners without posing a danger to any humans in the pit. Any dogs that showed any signs of agression towards humans were quickly put down. For this reason Pits actually don't make the best guard dogs. The breed is not inherintly aggresive towards humans. Pit's are a loyal breed though, and if they think their owner desires them to attack a person they can be trained to do so. Most so called "Pits" that attack people seem to be bred with other breeds of dogs, or are not even pits at all. The news know that a "dog" attacking someone is not a good story, but a "Pit" attacking someone is. You see these stories and they show a picture of a dog that looks like a lab or shepard or some other breed and you realize what bull$hit most of these stories are.If you owned Pits for as long as I have I think you would truly change your opinion about them. They are an awesome breed.
Fair enough Cig, I respect your opinion and input. ;)
It took about 5-6 years of owning them (25 years ago) before we decided no more, and my opinion is based on my own experinces, not urban folk lore or media hype. We had them back before they were "cool" to own and before you could buy them (and Rotties) in front of the Mexican market in the hood on any given weekend.
There are bad dogs in every breed - just one of the dogs I don't think children should be around. They are viscious when they lose it.
Thank god reputable large dog breeders (mastiff's, bull mastiff's, danes) will not sell dogs to just anybody.
:)

Bre
03-06-2005, 09:56 PM
if you have pits and kids it's not a good idea to punnish the child infront of the dog, if the think you are harming the child the dog might defend the child.pits really bond with children and will give there lives to protect them.
Andy and I can't even fight in front of the kids :hammerhea Kailey makes us stop LOL it's so cute...
We only bring the dogs in at night... after dinner.. and that's normally when the kids are winding down and getting ready for bed... so there's not much punishment going on then :wink: And yes the dogs def. love the kids. They share food and everything :hammerhea

LAPII
03-06-2005, 10:25 PM
My LONG, .02 cents, after owning a Shepard, Rott, and Dobie. I think the "pit" gets a bad rap due to the inbreeding that has occurred over the past decade or so, due to the high dollars in fighting such a relatively cheap dog to buy. As someone said look in the paper and you will see you can buy a "pit" for small amount of dollars. On the other hand, I'm sure if enough Mastiffs were brought into the wrong hands you would see an influx of them in the "illegal" fighting arenas lowering their status "money wise" (i.e...mastiff pups go any where from $1500-$2000) and then there would bound to be maulings by that breed also. But right now a Mastiff is out of reach of the "ghetto gladiator fights" Let's not forget that the Cane Corso is the dog that killed the lady in San Francisco, which had speculated their inherent fighting capabilities.

C-2
03-06-2005, 10:43 PM
look in the paper there are 25 pits sold to one of any other breed of dog for sale so it only makes sense that there would be more fatal atacks by the most common dog. that lady in san fransico wasn't killed by a pit. so the media tried to start in on mastiffs '' mastiff cross breeds, breed to kill'' .
as to the fact that pit ''kill'' other dogs you shouldn't own one if you don't know how to break up a dog fight.
How many pit bull attacks you broken up? And how? Thought they weren't aggressive?

Bre
03-06-2005, 10:45 PM
How many pit bull attacks you broken up? And how? Thought they weren't aggressive?
kids... kids :notam: Let's stop :p

jdf
03-06-2005, 10:57 PM
when my sis-law comes over with her kids we have to remind the kid's not to run in the house at night and don't play sneak around in the dark cause sheba will get you .she has not made a mean move toward them other than when sis got on to one of them sheba got in the middle to protect the kid and when they are a sleep sheba is right there with them

C-2
03-06-2005, 11:07 PM
kids... kids :notam: Let's stop :p
Yeah, really. Arguing about dogs we all love is about as stupid as arguing about boats we all love.
What about cats?

Bre
03-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Yeah, really. Arguing about dogs we all love is about as stupid as arguing about boats we all love.
What about cats?
Andy hates cats... he wants to shoot them :rolleyes: :p

jdf
03-06-2005, 11:12 PM
someone say cat fight

ONAROLL
03-06-2005, 11:56 PM
If it would not cost me my job and violate peoples privacy, I would change alot of minds regarding pits, based on photo documentation in a level one trauma center, sure, maybe they are not the most likely to bite based on studies conducted but I have flown out many child victims of pit attacks, if you have children under 10 years old (old enough to recognize a warning) around pits you are playing with fire............and the same old story, the dog never did that before...............02

v-drive
03-07-2005, 03:54 AM
Andy hates cats... he wants to shoot them :rolleyes: :p
Bre, Andy needs to meet our cat Fred. I found him at the pound while wasting time one day. 25lbs of bird and mouse catching fur. :cool: v-drive

Havasu Cig
03-07-2005, 06:42 AM
If it would not cost me my job and violate peoples privacy, I would change alot of minds regarding pits, based on photo documentation in a level one trauma center, sure, maybe they are not the most likely to bite based on studies conducted but I have flown out many child victims of pit attacks, if you have children under 10 years old (old enough to recognize a warning) around pits you are playing with fire............and the same old story, the dog never did that before...............02
I would be willing to bet that these so calles "Pits" were 1/2 breeds or had no Pit in them at all. In my former life I dealt with aggressive dogs and incidents of dog attacks. People would call in and report an aggressive "pitbull" causing problems and when you get there it would not be a Pit.
Like I said above I have owned them for for 20 years and never one problem with them being aggressive towards humans. It is not a nature of the breed to want to attack humans.

repo man
03-07-2005, 07:58 AM
propably 6 fights between the same two dogs that just hated each other. they got along with other dogs fine just not each other. it was funny that they didn't turn on me hell i didn't even get a scratch.unlike the news said i would. and believe it or not the dogs wern't torn apart either, but i have been bitten helping a lady seperate her two male labs and had to go to the hospital to get 24 stitches in my hand. that ''ATTACK'' happened after i broke up the fight. i was waiting in the emergency room for the reporters but they didn't come, probably because they wern't ''blood thirsty pit bulls'' so it wasn't much of a story.

Bre
03-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Then I guess you can call me a pyro manaic. We have a soon to be 3 year old and a 21 month old.