PDA

View Full Version : GPS Speedo Help

NorCalCat
04-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Advice needed. When powering up, speedo jumps to 3 O'Clock and hangs. When I tur the ingnition off then back on it will got to 9 O'Clock and hang. There is no pattern here. Can any one give adcice.
Thanks!

Supultlbich
04-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Mine goes from 3 oclock, to 12,then to 9 everytime the ignition is turned on. Most likely calibrating itself, just a guess though.
I would think that there should be some sort of pattern.

GRUNION
04-23-2006, 11:49 AM
dont know anything about the speedos sorry but i do have a question. do you have to mount anything else on your boat besides the speedo? I have seen some boats with some little black thing on the bow is that part of the gps? and if so are there any without them?

Mandelon
04-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Maybe they actually sold you a clock. :idea:

JetBoatRich
04-23-2006, 12:07 PM
When first turned on my goes through a similiar routine, then back to 0 when it finds the satellites :cool: it never HANGS up on one number

uvindex
04-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Advice needed. When powering up, speedo jumps to 3 O'Clock and hangs. When I tur the ingnition off then back on it will got to 9 O'Clock and hang. That sounds like a pattern to me. :) Did you check the manual and/or manufacturer's site for info? The speedo may be trying to tell you something. Also, is it outdoors (where it can "see" satellites) when this occurs or is it in a garage?
Good luck!

Marty Gras
04-23-2006, 12:38 PM
The instructions that come with most in dash units tell you that it takes one minute to 90 seconds for the unit to 'see' the satellite, and 'find' it's own point on earth. Then it starts to work. Won't work in the garage or under a 'solid' cover. Sounds like it's trying to calibrate.

NorCalCat
04-24-2006, 12:12 PM
The instructions that come with most in dash units tell you that it takes one minute to 90 seconds for the unit to 'see' the satellite, and 'find' it's own point on earth. Then it starts to work. Won't work in the garage or under a 'solid' cover. Sounds like it's trying to calibrate.
Ya, it hangs on 9 O'clock or 12 o'clock and does not reset to 0. It is outside, so there is nothing ion the way. The weird thing, it that it was working.

HM
04-24-2006, 12:29 PM
dont know anything about the speedos sorry but i do have a question. do you have to mount anything else on your boat besides the speedo? I have seen some boats with some little black thing on the bow is that part of the gps? and if so are there any without them?
I have mine mounted under the dash so it can't be seen. Doesn't work well under the dash, so they will mount them on top. Usually, when you mount them on top, they have a nicer white version like SWB mentioned.

spectras only
04-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Have the 80 MPH Gaffrig GPS unit with a Garmin low profile receiver interfaced with.When the ignition turned on the needle sweeps to 80 ,and goes back to zero on engine start up . It's very quick to lock on the satellites and reading speeds like less than 30 sec . the receiver is black , and matching my dash nicely :rollside:
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/IMG_2617.JPG
It's to the left of the compass ,behind the windshield and works well . The Livorsi unit is white and probably made by Garmin.