PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Diesel Motorhome

Kilrtoy
03-07-2005, 06:30 PM
What kinda a maintenance due they require and regular up keep.....
looking at buying one.....

Jordy
03-07-2005, 06:32 PM
You need to buy one, hell it's been almost a month since your last big ticket purchase. :idea: :D
Of course they require maintenance and upkeep. Just like a house on wheels, except everything ends up in holding tanks rather that being discharged immediately. Engines, transmissions, generators, all that stuff needs attention. ;)

jbtrailerjim
03-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Damn Kilr........Did you hit the freakin lotto or something? :eek: ;) :D

Jordy
03-07-2005, 06:36 PM
So are you going to move out of the house and into the driveway??? :eek: :hammerhea :D :D :D

racecar.hotshoe
03-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Change the oil every 13,000 miles and drive!

Kilrtoy
Thanks jordy, but how much attention does it require and what are the cost .......
No I did not hit the lotto, just enjoying life while im here....

Flying Tiger
Change fuel & oil filters and the oil is usually gallons not quarts.
Other than that, not bad maintenance wise compaired to a gas.
If it's an Allison tranny, some are change fluid every 25K under heavy/hot loads and some versions have the trans pan filter and a spin on solinoid filter.
Easy to do yourself.
Instead of an oil change pan you use a bucket.
The Allison is Da Kine.
What motor/trans is in it?
What chassis?

Kilrtoy
03-07-2005, 06:38 PM
So are you going to move out of the house and into the driveway??? :eek: :hammerhea :D :D :D
No out of the garage and into the Driveway

Havasu Hangin'
03-07-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure that motorhome will have as much equity as the house to cash out when you sell it...
:hammerhea

Jordy
03-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks jordy, but how much attention does it require and what are the cost .......
I suppose it all depends what you end up with size and hp wise. The big Prevosts run Series 60 Detroits and Allison 6 speed transmissions, some of the smaller ones run Come-aparts or Cats and 5 speed Allisons. The 6 speed is the way to go, especially if you want better mpg and the capability to hop the engine up for more power. I wouldn't look at a pusher that didn't have an Allison in it, regardless of power. I'd say on the service side, you're looking at a couple hundred bucks at a minimum anything you take it in for service. My shop charges $105 an hour to work on motorhomes. :D

Havasu Hangin'
03-07-2005, 06:44 PM
My shop charges $105 an hour to work on motorhomes. :D
But how much do you guys charge for through-transom exhaust?
:messedup:

Jordy
03-07-2005, 06:45 PM
But how much do you guys charge for through-transom exhaust?
:messedup:
Depends on if they have a motorhome or not. We have a built in hourly PITA surcharge for the motorhome crowd. :D

Kilrtoy
03-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Ok Im looking at a 35 COACHMEN with a 5.9 300HP cummins 600lb of torque and it is matched to a allison 5 speed MH2500 tranny
Im done with thru hull, Im into the side port now....

Jordy
03-07-2005, 06:55 PM
5.9 300HP cummins 600lb of torque and it is matched to a allison 5 speed MH2500 tranny
With the 5 speed you're at the upper limit of that tranny. There is no turning up the Come-apart for more power for fear of wiping the tranny out. :2purples: :cool:

Havasu Hangin'
03-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Im into the side port now....
Is that some new kinky position for you "metrosexuals"?
:D

probablecause
03-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Depends on how much your wife keeps it clean. Get the pimp hand out.

JB in so cal
03-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Holy Crap, Kilr. Stop it. You win, already!!!!
:supp:

robert_pv
03-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Here is a pusher that grabs my attention, it has a mid-engine with a bike garage.
http://www.travelsupreme.com/

bohica
03-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Gotta make sure you drive it before you buy. A lot of the low end DP's will ride worse than a good gas coach. I just spent a lot of time researching DP's and ended up buying a new 40' Winnebago Vectra. The Cummins 400 HP ISL is a nice motor w/ 1200 ft. lbs of torque. Gas mileage is no better than a gaser though, around 5.5 mpg.
I'd stay away from the Allison 5 speed. Like Jordy said, they have hop ups for that motor, but the tranny will prevent you from adding the HP. Another coach I came close to buying is the Fleetwood Revolution LE. They have a floorplan where you get 1.5 baths.

Kilrtoy
03-07-2005, 07:32 PM
DAMN those are just wrong, Those are a few hundred grand out of my range.....

bohica
03-07-2005, 07:35 PM
One more thing, you should be able to get at least 25% off of sticker price, and that just a starting point. The sticker price makes them look unattainable for most, but with some hard bargaining, there's deals to be found.
This is what I pcked up last month.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/914MVC-007F1-med.JPG

Mandelon
03-07-2005, 07:42 PM
I hope Internal Affairs doesn't find out about all this money you are spending....it's not gonna look good.
ARe you gonna buy all this stuff then go BK? :squiggle: That Nevada corporation thing won't work as well as they say it will. :D

robert_pv
03-07-2005, 07:43 PM
This is from an rv forum
This post is intended to be helpful to the first time buyer of a motor home. For those of you who don't fall into that category or believe this post is incomplete or off the mark, do us all a favor, and enlighten us. If all you have to offer is criticism with no corresponding constructive comments, no one besides yourself will benefit from the experience. So please improve or expand on this post in a constructive way.
The issue at hand is how to select the coach that best matches your wants and needs and offers the most promise of not being a perpetual headache.
I think there is an order to thinking through selecting a motor home that best maps to your wants, needs, and pocketbook. There are a lot of issues to get at and understand. Going about the process out of sequence will circumvent some critical steps and increases the potential that in the end you will not be as satisfied with what you buy as you could have been. I've heard it said that nothing can be seen until seen in a form that you're looking for. You give yourself the edge by determining your wants and needs first, letting them guide you to the make and model of motor home. Focus on deal making after your prioritized wants and needs have lead you to the type, make and model, and level of fit and finish that best fit your pocketbook.
BUDGET
I believe the first step for most will be to establish a framework relative to cost: decide how much you want to spend, how much you can spend, and how much you are willing to spend. For the most part you can count on spending more that you initially thought. Knowing what the max you can spend is a place to start.
While the initial cost is a lot more than the tip of the iceberg, the cost of ownership and operation bear some thought as well. Gain some insight into annual insurance cost, maintenance, and storage fees. Start making a list of items that will be purchased to support the RV. Don't forget the dingy and associated costs if you're planning on dragging one around, tow bar, braking system, car insurance and registration. Think about chemicals, hoses, adaptors, critical spares, tools, as well as outdoor furniture, grill, mats, and kitchen gadgets, cleaning supplies, hooks, and toilet paper holder! Then add on the operating costs: fuel, camping fees, charges for radio, television, and telephone, etc.
I personally think it's a mistake to go into the process thinking you can always trade in or up. It's a costly strategy. Try to get it right the first time. For many, the choice will boil down to compromising what they want to fit with what they can afford. All the more reason to spend the time and energy to figure out what you want and need and then prioritize your selections to get what you can afford.
Once you have established a framework for purchase budget and ownership cost, use that frame work to construct the best coach that will fit into it. At this point in time you may have a gross idea of size diesel pusher or gas... new versus used. You may even have a specific manufacturer you're interested in. These choices, especially the make and model, ought to flow from your wants and needs.
WANTS AND NEEDS
Go to work figuring out what you want in terms of livability and travel-ability. A good place to start is deciding if you're going to be a parker or a driver. Most motor homes are better suited to one or the other. Coaches with lots of slides are terrific when parked, but coaches with fewer slides may seem roomier when driving down the road with the slides in. Things to think about if you're a driver include how much room there is to move around with the sliders closed, and access to such things as storage areas and facilities like the washer/dryer.
The next and crucial step is to figure out what you think you want for power train, chassis, floor plan, features, amenities, and gadgets. Look at a lot of coaches, even trailers, and see what combinations seem to fit your lifestyle the best. As you get immersed in the process, I think you will find some of your original thoughts will change. The following checklist will give you some things to consider. Keep in mind that the right coach is out there; it just takes hard work to find it.
Will you spend more waking hours driving or parked?
What features need to be accessible while driving?
How many people do you need to sleep?
Is a queen-sized bed appropriate?
How long will you be using the coach at a stretch?
(weekends versus long trips)
How much storage will you require?
How fussy are you about the quality of workmanship in furnishings?
How much counter space do you want in the kitchen?
How often will you use an oven or washer/dryer?
Will a dinette or table and chairs suit you best?
How much privacy do you want for the bathroom?
Does anyone require upgraded seats or bed?
Will you tolerate losing speed on hills?
Are you concerned about miles per gallon or emissions controls?
How far do you want to be able to travel between fuel stops?
How much capacity do you want for water, black, and grey tanks?
Do you require pass-through storage for long items?
Do you want basement doors that open in a specific direction?
(to the side or up like a bus)
How important is soundproofing or insulation?
How important is entertainment, inside or outside?
How many televisions, and where?
Speakers or refrigerator in basement to use when camped?
Can you find the features you want in a used coach?
RESEARCH
Buying a motor home is easy... the hard part is selecting the one that will best fit your needs. Do a lot of looking and as much research as you can. Take notes about what you like and dislike in each coach you see. Do not accept that what you want is not available. After our first month of looking, we had a floor plan we liked but everything else was wrong. We almost bought that floor plan because we were beginning to think what we wanted was not available or economically attainable. Any fool can buy a motor home; the trick is not to be foolhardy about the process of selecting the one. Some people are smarter than we are; it took us months of intensive research, giving up every week end visiting dealers, hours of reading magazines, exploring all the internet sales sites, and forum surfing. In the end, we looked at 26 different models from 12 different manufacturers, and test drove most of them. We also visited a multitude of factories and found people to discuss ideas and assumptions. One thing to keep in mind, make sure that you adopt your own ideas and make your own priorities for features and functions. Others will have valuable insights, but those insights and perspectives will reflect their own priorities. As you listen, try to understand not only what they think is important, but also why. Get as many variant opinions as you can in arriving at your own conclusions. What's perfect for one can be a horrible mismatch for another.
There is no substitute for spending time in a prospective coach, visualizing daily routines in terms of workability and comfort and convenience... sit in every seating position, open and close everything that will do so, adjust anything that has an adjustment, especially the driver's and passenger's seats. Lie down on the bed, open up any convertible couches and test them for comfort. Walk through meal preparation and maneuvering around in the coach with a full complement of people and pets, both with sliders in and out. Go through the exercise both indoors and outdoors. Open the sliders and the awnings at the same time to check angles and clearances. Think through loading and unloading: is there enough space and is it easily accessible? See how cords and hoses roll in and out.
Do not expect that what you will get is any better than what you see in the showroom. So many times I got that response to an inquiry about a noticeable defect in terms of fit, finish, or operation. As you are deciding on the coach and examining the details of fit and finish, do not limit you looking to the interior. Look hard in all the equipment bays and in the engine compartment. A lot of unnecessary breakdowns are set up when the coach is mated to the chassis, look for hoses and wiring too close to heat source or that will rub, abrade, or get pinched, look for lapses in sealing seams. In other words, fit and finish has two flavors: cosmetic and functional. If what you can see looks slipshod, then what you can not see is not going to be any better.
SELECTING THE DEALER
It seems that a lot of dissatisfaction that people experience lies at the doorstep of the dealer they choose. In other cases, I think some buyers have unrealistic expectations about how the dealer will react to their concerns and problems. Thorough vetting out of the dealer is of utmost importance. Talk to as many people as you can who have done business with the dealer. Also have some very frank discussions with your perspective dealer, starting with the salesperson, and then a review of your expectations with the salesperson and the sales manager together. Be specific, give examples, and require specific responses. Do not accept "You're in good hands All-State" responses.
TAKING DELIVERY
When you go to pick up your coach from the dealer have a thorough checklist of items to check. Do the inspection systematically. There are several lists already created that you can use as a starter. Here are a few thoughts.
„« Do not schedule your pick up of your new motor home on a Friday or a day before a holiday. That way the pressure to get it done will be lessened and there will be time for corrections to be made. Have extra time built into your schedule. Have a place to stay so there is no need to rush the inspection if you're picking up your coach remotely from where you live.
„« Make sure that all the documentation and manuals are present. Do an inventory and do not forget to get a list of all the serial and model numbers for all the warrantee registration. It's the job of the dealer to provide that.
„« Operate and test everything. Make sure you can do it yourself... and then do it, and have your companion do it. We got the in motion satellite and the home entertainment system; I am still the only one who can operate them...
„« Take notes of what you see that bothers you or questions that come to mind. If you don't get satisfactory answers to your question, just ask them again and again until you're satisfied. You have paid a lot of money for those answers.
„« Question anything you do not understand. Make sure you and spouse do not leave with any unanswered question... Nothing worse than to discover something and then hear the words, "I was wondering about that."
„« Do not assume anything has been checked or is working properly. Check them yourself, especially fluids and tire pressures... which means bring a suitable tire gauge. It would also be useful to have one of those indoor/ outdoor thermometers with a remote sensor to check air conditioner and heat performance, including the dash air.
„« If at all possible, go through the manuals and documentation before you do your acceptance inspection. Just take a couple of hours off in a corner; you will be amazed at the questions that will pop up. It's better to do that before you do your walk through.
„« Use one of the many cookbook PDA lists that are around. The best one I found was at http://www.rversonline.org/ArtFactoryPickup.html There is also a special section on air brakes on the rversonline site.
„« Do a test drive that will approximate how you will drive your motor home.
„« Go into the process expecting to have glitches and some your expectations not to be met. Focus on resolutions instead of recriminations. Don't let someone else's ignorance spoil what should be a very special day!!
OUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
From my own experience and what insights I have gained from private discussions with a number of first time buyers, the really tough issue is nailing down your wants, needs, and priorities and then overlaying the price one will have to pay. In our case we spent more than we originally set out to spend, but less than I could have. Deciding which manufacturer was not the starting point, it was the place to end...
Here are some of our answers to the questions I posed above:
Will you be a driver or a parker... In our case we are drivers. We tend to drive a lot and never stay in one place for very long while others will pick a destination, go there and plant themselves for a period of time, then return home. We wanted the maximum of space in the coach when the sliders were closed which was a governing factor in determining floor plan and the number of sliders. We also wanted certain key storage areas accessible and wanted access to the washer/dryer with the sliders closed. We wanted to maximize the kitchen counter space and be able to use the seating area and table while underway or for those times we stop in route. So we opted for a dinette which has the advantage being able to convert into a sleeping position (albeit for a short person). We also preferred not to deal with the chairs while underway which have a tendency to want to move around if not securely strapped down.
In terms of the bathroom, we wanted the toilet area separate from the shower and sink. We wanted to be able to separate the bathroom from the bedroom and the living area for those times when there would be others on board besides my wife and me.
We also chose to eliminate the up-front TV for increased visibility and to avoid a source for bumping heads. We wanted it placed elsewhere in the coach and at eye level so we wouldn't crane our necks up to watch.
We needed a floor plan that would comfortably sleep 5.
How far do you want to be able to travel between fuel stops... how much capacity do you want for water, black, and grey tanks... These are good issues to raise on forums; you will get a wide variety of answers. We arbitrarily decided we wanted a 1000 miles for fuel, and 3 to 5 days capacity for water and holding tanks.
It helps to be reasonable and recognize that it's better to start with the minimum you are willing to settle for and then the maximum you're willing to pay for. Be conservative in your estimates.
We wanted to have pass-through storage in the basement as well as sliding drawers, which eliminated some coaches including one that had our favorite floor plan in it. While you're thinking about storage, keep in mind there are different options for the type of doors used on basement storage. Aside from the conventional, there are bus style doors that cantilever up and out of the way, as well as side opening doors. Our coach has all three types.
We put a premium on insulation and the soundproofing of the coach when parked, so we paid attention to the specs and tested the noise level in the coach in terms of isolating the inside from the outside. We were focused on not being disturbed and not disturbing our neighbors. We wanted the coach to be as quiet as possible on the road as well as when parked.
We opted not to buy used, although there are many compelling reason to do so: initial cost and the potential that new coach bugs would be worked out. Part of our criteria was to bypass anything that had not had continual use, since disuse often accelerates the deterioration of such things as seals, hoses, belts and the like. In the end, we concluded we were unlikely to find a match for our wants and needs in a used coach and focused on going the new coach route. Once we decided we wanted a new coach, we soon discovered that it was going to require us to order one to get exactly what we wanted and would fit into our budget.
So we began to reduce the number of potential manufacturers from 12 down to 3 since the others did not offer what we wanted or their level of fit and finish wasn't acceptable to me. Having said that, I believe that with minor exceptions many of the manufacturers we deselected would have worked for us, had their offerings been a match to our wants and needs.
We placed a priority on which manufacturers would give us the most flexibility to make minor alterations to their standard fare; that got the list down to 2. In the end, we chose the one that gave us the most flexibility. Their reputation for warrantee support was also a determining factor, but any of the final three would have given terrific support based on their reputation.
In our case, we did not place a high premium on after sale dealer support. This is not a course I would recommend for every one but our situation was such that we were comfortable in taking on the responsibility of managing our service needs. It did take some work to establish a network of support once we bought. We have been fortunate to have had only one coach related issue, which was very minor. Other problems we have had were with the generator and our satellite system, where we dealt directly with the manufacturers with satisfactory results. We found both the coach manufacturer and the manufacturers of the specific components were very helpful in answering any questions that popped up.
When our coach was being built, I visited the factory to follow progress on the construction, timing the visit so I would be able to inspect what I was expecting in terms of wiring, plumbing, and interior construction. I was able to see our coach and other coaches down the line so I inspected each step of the build process.
This post will raise more questions than it answers which in part was the intent, and the offer up a process to get the answers...
If you interest is in Buying A Used Motorhome Here are Some Thoughts For First Time Buyers
Good luck in your odyssey it's a worthwhile journey.

Holland
03-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Very Nice Bohica

PHX ATC
03-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Kilr,
The Cummins is an awesome engine, although i think the 300/600 is a bit underpowered for a 30' or bigger pusher home. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Cummins fan (got 2 in my garage now) but I think stepping up or chipping it is the way to go. Then, I agree with Jordy (damn, that doesn't sound at all right :cool: ) and bohica that the tranny would need to be stepped up as well.
I dunno, I s'pose if you babied it that it would serve your needs, but then again, you bought the nice diesel Chevy and a sweet Corvette along with a nice DCB! No offense, but all 3 are a bit more than you "need". I'm not bashing you, just don't want you skimping on the utilitarian parts of the RV just so you can get in the door and get one! You didn't skimp on your truck, 'vette, or boat, you went with the upgraded, nice, enjoy it kind of stuff, so do the same on the RV that you're looking at. Don't skimp!!! (I've done that plenty of times and kicked myself...the new house we're building...we have the mantra "if you don't get it now and pay for it, you'll never get it or pay three times the original amount, SO GET IT NOW".
I don't know the price of upgrading, hell I don't know the price of an RV to begin with.
Get what you want, enjoy it, like your other stuff that you have. Then sell it to me!

jdogginla
03-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Geezus...........I'm living the wrong life :hammerhea
He who has the most toys when they die, WINS! Go get em Kilr :hammerhea

Bling Bling
03-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Ok Im looking at a 35 COACHMEN with a 5.9 300HP cummins 600lb of torque and it is matched to a allison 5 speed MH2500 tranny
KILR, you can get flat out fock on a motorhome. Get a hold of me and I will tell you my experiences, as well as all the people we travel with. All start first with your 35 coachmen. If it's your first, go look at the new pace arrow 37c. It's gas but a bitchin coach. If your gonna go deisel, look at the Provedence(sp). No regrets, Drive it like ya stole it, and Unleashed have this coach. You can't go wrong with a Fleetwood product. Seriously Kilr you can get fock badly on a purchase like this, do your home work.

mtndewdrops
03-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Figure to spend at least $700 maintenence for the first year.
Keep in mind that it will cost you around $200 to fill the fuel tank, Then you will have to spend $100 for groceries for a trip, Also if you go to a RV Park, the average is $35 a night for a RV site. Don't forget to figure in Insurance and Storage costs. You can get alot of Hotel rooms for the same out of pocket.
I would recommend that you buy a used coach and not take that huge depreciation hit. Also think of a used RV as one that has had the bugs worked out, new ones always have something wrong or two. I have owned several and have yet to buy something problem free.
If you absolutely must purchase new, remember that there is at least 30% markup on those bad boyz.

Flying Tiger
03-07-2005, 08:11 PM
One more thing, you should be able to get at least 25% off of sticker price, and that just a starting point. The sticker price makes them look unattainable for most, but with some hard bargaining, there's deals to be found.
This is what I pcked up last month.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/914MVC-007F1-med.JPG
That's right on,, hold out for much more. 25% as a starting point. 1/3 off is about right for a good deal.

77charger
03-07-2005, 08:27 PM
If it's your first, go look at the new pace arrow 37c. It's gas but a bitchin coach. a friend of mine has that pace arrow it is pretty bad ass got the 2005 and painted sides has very nice interior all leather,etc,3 slides says it sucks the gas but kilr sounds like you have lots of money
:confused:

Kilrtoy
03-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all the awesome post...
how much is the 37 pace arrow....

HOOTER SLED-
03-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Daaaaaaaaaaaammnnn Kilr. Wassup big money? Anytime you need a driver, just let me know. You can party it up while I drive. I could catch up at the destination. :D :devil:

probablecause
03-07-2005, 08:55 PM
My God "Robert PV" - great response.
Kilrtoy-have you thought about a pimped out 5th wheel since you already have the truck. There are pro's and cons to both RV's and 5th Wheels. We opted for the 5th wheel because we can unhook and go if we have to. You already have the diesel, and it is a lot of money to have sitting unless you hit the open roads hard.

CornWater
03-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Kilr... you are slowly but surely becoming my idol... :D

Kilrtoy
03-07-2005, 09:03 PM
My God "Robert PV" - great response.
Kilrtoy-have you thought about a pimped out 5th wheel since you already have the truck. There are pro's and cons to both RV's and 5th Wheels. We opted for the 5th wheel because we can unhook and go if we have to. You already have the diesel, and it is a lot of money to have sitting unless you hit the open roads hard.
You are so right, But my diesel is not rated at the weight of the 5th wheel we like. It weighs in at 14500 empty.....
We are looking to dump it at the crazy horse and start a new club
"B" ROW.....

Bling Bling
03-07-2005, 09:06 PM
a friend of mine has that pace arrow it is pretty bad ass got the 2005 and painted sides has very nice interior all leather,etc,3 slides says it sucks the gas but kilr sounds like you have lots of money
:confused:
When ya look at the new Pace arrow, ya fill like a baller, untill ya start it up. :D It's a great coach, I own one and love it. Killr, about 107k to 110k. Call Neils motorhome in the valley and talk to Jim or Tom. Tell them I sent ya. Look at the new Provedence (sp), with the hallway and large bathroom. And Killr, with 3 or 4 slides, when you open the front 2, it gets wide enough to spread out the twister game. That is focken key.

caroftheweek
03-07-2005, 09:11 PM
kilr~~
That 5.9 you were speaking of is a variant of what is in the dodge trucks. I would go bigger than that. If you can I would stick with the cummins 370 or 400. The C9 cat has the ACERT technology that has not proved its worth yet. It also has EGR which really sucks on diesels. My boss just purchased an American Tradition by American Coach, the up level of Fleetwood. The retail on the coach was $298k, his purchase price was $ 212k. You can grind those people like no other. He figured 30% off retail. He got pretty close. The Fleetwood revolution and LE are nice pieces. As are the Discovery and Excursions. Another friend of ours just purchased an Excursion for $149k and it is loaded. Just do your research and go look at all of them and the chassis. There are alot of nice coaches out there but once you get to the details, some will really stand out over the others. Good luck.
Ryan

HOOTER SLED-
You are so right, But my diesel is not rated at the weight of the 5th wheel we like. It weighs in at 14500 empty.....
"B" ROW.....
Maybe you should reconsider changing the name to "Double D" Row. Fits better for the Mrs. too. :D :D Can we be groupies?? :D

Bling Bling
"B" ROW.....
That's just because D-rows been full since 8:30 am the first of March and you had no way of gettin on the real row :D . I talk to Crazy horse a few days ago, sounds like a interesting summer at hand.

JetBoatRich
03-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Figure to spend at least $700 maintenence for the first year.
Keep in mind that it will cost you around $200 to fill the fuel tank
Did you miss the Gas Price thread :jawdrop: I wish it only cost a $200 to fill it up :D when we take the RV out, we stay with a 150 miles :D then a Hotel makes more sense because of the cost of fuel :mad:

cola
03-07-2005, 09:13 PM
"B" ROW.....
" B " ROW = BALLER

cola
03-07-2005, 09:14 PM
" B " Row = Baller

VEGASBABY
03-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Been there done that! save your money! He who dies with the most toys dies with the most headaches! The big pushers are a pain in maintence and Im not talkin just engine/Tranny, Im talking tvs, plumming, ac the list was endless! :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:

haulina29
03-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Kilr the 300 5 speed is a waiste of money its under powered and trans doesnt have a wide enough range I have a 2005 45 foot renegade with a 515 detroit and a 12 speed freedom auto it is a twin screw dual drive axles not a tag with triple slides . get the full size refer plasmas surround sound out side entertainment center power awnings outside freezer etc if you dont you will wish you had. Mine weighs 38k empty but it hauls ass . It holds 220 gallons of deisel and gets about 7 miles per gallon , also get the biggest generator that will fit in it when you run everything in the desert you will need it if you dry camp even if you dont someday you will wish the generator was bigger . Mitch

TwinMach26DCB
03-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Kilr --- fellow DCB'r.... I own a 2004 39S Fleetwood Discovery triple slide with the 330 hp catepillar... I friggin LOVE this coach, however one thing to keep in mind is that there is a legal length to consider... My problem is that I live in Santa Cruz and with the 40 ft. coach, and the 26 DCB along with the trailer tongue, and the 4 ft of transem and engine setback... Nearly 33 ft of boat and 40 ft of coach equals 73 ft..
I own a logisitics company (transortation) and I know the legal length for Semi's is 65 ft. I believe...
Can anyone confirm the max length for these things ???

Nubbs
03-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Kilr,
When I worked for Gale Banks, I spent quite a bit of time driving, testing, and working on the pusher motorhomes. I would stay away from the 5 speed if you can. Of all the motorhomes I saw and drove that had the 5.9, I liked the discovery the best. My favorite of them all was the American Eagle that had the 8.3L ISC motor. That thing was fun to drive. Anyways, I'm not spending the money, so it's pretty easy for me to give opinions. Good luck with whatever you get.
Nubbs

haulina29
03-07-2005, 09:52 PM
65 feet max with a motor home my rig is 82 feet total its my second one so far I havent been stopped in 3 years . CHP doesnt even look at it when they come by .

Garrddogg
03-07-2005, 09:54 PM
HEY KILR ARENT THEY GONNA MISS ALL THAT SHIAT MISSING FROM THE LOCKER?

pixilatedpussy
03-07-2005, 09:57 PM
question, when your all set up for the weekend, jacks down patio set out do you pick up the house and launch the boat, some places don't have launch ramps.

BLOWN HOWARD
03-07-2005, 10:09 PM
"B" ROW.....
Kilr we are running the same truck and mine has 37's on it and i am towing 15,000 no problem dont be a pussy just buy the dam fifth wheel!!!!!!

shocker
03-07-2005, 10:37 PM
The SportChassis RHA114 is by far our most popular SportChassis Model. So what makes this truck so popular? To start with our flat bed with recessed towing plate allows you to switch between hauling a load and towing a load with ease. The RHA114 also provides plenty of storage space, with four compartments built into the bed for easy access. Couple all of this together with the stylish Business Class M2 Chassis and SportChassis Exclusive Interiors and you can see what makes the RHA114 such a popular choice.
www.sportchassis.com

AirtimeLavey
03-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Damn! Have you figured out which airplane you're going with, yet? Oh, my bad...I'm a month early. Good luck with this motorhome thing...sounds like a lot to consider. :idea: :D

XtrmWakeborder
03-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Damn kilr you are my hero! lol step it up to haulinas rig.. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/131Dsc00081.jpg

OGShocker
03-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Kt,
If you are looking at this option ask yourself a series of questions.
How much will I use this thing?
We have owned custom coaches most of my adult life. I used them as travelling sales offices and would log over 150,000 miles a year. These coaches were worth every penny to me back in the day. Now I am off the road we own a 43' Monaco production coach, which sits in my shop all year accept for those cool weekends(two a year) at the California Speedway.
How many hotel rooms can I stay in the time I own a coach for the same money?
$150,000 for a moderate pusher and the way up to $1.4 million custom coach can buy a shi*load of roomservice.
If I might be so bold?, BUY LAND!
My .02
OGS

Todd969
03-08-2005, 07:29 AM
Hey Kilr, We've also been tossing around this same idea. Here's what we've come down to. A nice 35' trailer that can be parked 6 months a year at Crazyhorse or the Landing and a great 2nd home write off. I've done some research on depreciation and can't justify the pusher for the $$$$ difference. Good luck on your choice.

BoatFloating
03-08-2005, 07:30 AM
Coachmen????? Stay away from Coachmen...... Cheap and no towing capicity....
This is what you need and I'm selling it Big Baller....
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6951DSC01734a-med.jpg

Sherpa
03-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Damn kilr you are my hero! lol step it up to haulinas rig.. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/131Dsc00081.jpg
okay, thanks alot-! I now have to clean the "stuff" off my monitor now....
That is my idea of a motorhome-! of course the prevost's are the shiat,
but the toterhome's are what I would want....
T-2000 cab, 500 horse Cat, twin screws, 4 slides........ yeehaw-!
--Sherpa Kilr is my new hero............ Vette, truck, new DCB, new
coach, puffy pillows............. niiiice.

mbrown2
03-08-2005, 11:16 AM
If you are buying to just park it at Crazy Horse and looking at 200+K coaches (at least that is league I have researched), buy real estate instead.....no reason to throw money that can appreciate into a depreciating asset.....that is unless you have disposable income for the toys...

HighRoller
03-08-2005, 03:09 PM
I would highly recommend anything in the Monaco/Holiday Rambler family. They are a step above the rest of the industry in fit and finish. No offense to Fleetwood owners because they make a nice product, but Fleetwood has been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for years now so they are concentrating on cutting costs anywhere they can. My fiancee was in the PR/Cust service dept at Monaco for three years so she's pretty sharp about coaches. If you travel a lot, get a diesel. If not, get the gas model. No reason to spend all that money on a big engine and tranny if it's just gonna sit. Remember that max combo length is 65' so if you plan to tow the DCB at all you need to measure the boat's overall length on the trailer and subtract to see what you can buy.
Now, not to shock you, but diesel pushers are bought mostly by older people looking to travel, and older people die a lot. There are a ton of high end used diesel coaches for sale all the time on RVTrader.com. You could get a seriously killer deal without looking too far because family members of the deceased just want the thing gone a lot of the time.

bohica
03-08-2005, 05:12 PM
I only use my rig for the Glamis season, and the 200 miles one way trip didn't make the decision easy to step up to a pusher. The towing capacities of a class A gas coach could not handle what I was towing. The max towing capacity on a class A gaser is usually 5,000 lbs while on the pushers it usually start at 10K and goes up from there. My 26' enclosed is pushing 10K, so the only option was the DP. I'm 6.5 feet over the length for now, but a 20ft. stacker will be my next purchase, just gotta find the 40K to buy it.
Don't know what a 26' DCB weighs in at, but probably over 5K with the trailer.

SoCalOffshore
03-08-2005, 05:27 PM
I have a 2002 Monaco Dynasty 40' Baroness I am thinkin of selling. It is the triple slide with the 400HP Cummins. The coach is fully loaded and very few miles. I will find a pic to post.

Kilrtoy
03-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks everyone for your imput, This is a greta thread....
DAMN ROCKY, That is sick, even the wife is impressed........
the coachmen is 105K..... but after reading the thread a 5th wheel would probably suit my needs better at half the price......

STV_Keith
03-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Stay away from the 4 or 5 speed Allisons. While you can't haul the boat behind a 5th wheel, for the money, they are the way to go. You have a diesel truck already right? Use it! :)

Dr. Eagle
03-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Damn Kilr........Did you hit the freakin lotto or something? :eek: ;) :D
No Shizzle...

callbob4homes
03-08-2005, 08:06 PM
go with the 5th wheel. been there done that with the MH. After sitting most of the year looking at it parked out back and still paying lic plates and insurance on a MOTOR vehicle, I thought "now that is dumb, I have a diesel pickup (did at the time). Took the MH and traded in a 34 5th wheel with 2 slides. Store it in Havasu and pull your boat down. JMHO, but it worked for us and cheaper than insuring the damn motorhome.
On the other side.............with a motorhome you don't have to hunt for that perfectly clean bathroom 15 minutes after leaving the house! She has it right there. :D

SoCalOffshore
03-08-2005, 08:12 PM
the coachmen is 105K..... but after reading the thread a 5th wheel would probably suit my needs better at half the price......
Probably sound judgement, but I think you should go with double the price, not half the price, and just buy mine!! :D

BoatFloating
03-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks, Hell you must of liked it since you didn't call me Ricky...:D
I agree 5th wheel is a very good option....

Kilrtoy
03-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Hell you must of liked it since you didn't call me Ricky...:D
I agree 5th wheel is a very good option....
Hey credit is due and I can give it out, Come on Rocky, that thing is off the hook......
and this one is also off the hook
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/131Dsc00081.jpg

BoatFloating
03-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Hey credit is due and I can give it out, Come on Rocky, that thing is off the hook......
and this one is also off the hook
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/131Dsc00081.jpg
That would get it done.....
So I take it it wasn't you that got hit by a golf ball at Grant High today???? :) :hammerhea