PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Peeps

MAINEVENT
03-08-2005, 11:07 AM
I am in the market for a Laptop I know ABSOLUTLY NOTHING about what is good and what is not need alittle help i want it to have a DVD burner and cd burner and really all i need it for is to edit and crerate photo albums and Movies to burn to a DVD from a DV camera and to go on the web :rollside:
Much thanks peeps :)

Slick
03-08-2005, 11:34 AM
I just picked up a little HP from Costco. It's the HP Pavillion DV1000. Not a bad deal $1250 and had a $100 Coupon. It's got an Intel Celeron processor (better battery life) a Pentium M 735 processor, 60gb drive 512 mb memery, 60mb Intel Extreme graphics 2 card, 14" wxga brightview monitor, DVD/CDR burner, and XP Home. The only thing I did was upgrade it to Pro.
I did see the same unit with an 80gb drive for $1250 a couple weeks ago at Circuit City or something like that.

barbigrl
03-08-2005, 11:36 AM
I just got a Dell this past summer....fully loaded....you can add any programs you want on it, I got a DVD and CD burner program etc...i love it.....I personally am not a big fan of HP, they break a lot.

riverracerx
03-08-2005, 11:41 AM
There is nothing better for what you want to do than an Apple:
http://images.apple.com/powerbook/images/indextop20050132.jpg

RP1
03-08-2005, 11:47 AM
strongly disagree... stay away from Apple... period!
Dell is probably the best deal out there right now. They are reliable and a good customer service company as well.

Garrddogg
03-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Dell would be my choice !!

Slick
03-08-2005, 11:53 AM
I was pricing the Dell 600 (I think that's the model) and this was a much better deal all the way around, even at the Reg. price of $1250.

Raisin Wake
03-08-2005, 12:31 PM
If your seriously looking at editing video and things like that, get the most expensive one you can afford. You will need all the processing power you can get....

BADAXE
03-08-2005, 12:46 PM
I just picked up a little HP from Costco. It's the HP Pavillion DV1000. Not a bad deal $1250 and had a $100 Coupon. It's got an Intel Celeron processor (better battery life) a Pentium M 735 processor, 60gb drive 512 mb memery, 60mb Intel Extreme graphics 2 card, 14" wxga brightview monitor, DVD/CDR burner, and XP Home. The only thing I did was upgrade it to Pro.
I did see the same unit with an 80gb drive for $1250 a couple weeks ago at Circuit City or something like that.
I travel for business and buy a new laptop once a year. I've had IBM, Gateway, Dell and HP and the best so far is the HP. Their customer service is by far the best, and the computer has been the most reliable. Your best bet is to go to HP.com and build one to your specs. You will pay a bit more than Costco or Best Buy but will get exactly what you want. Then if you do need customer service you will directed to a department here in the US. If you buy one off the shelf at a store your customer service issues are directed to a department in India.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Yeah, everyone needs a $1500 paperweight. :rollside:
As someone else said, with what you want to do, get as much processor and memory as you can.

Jordy
03-08-2005, 12:55 PM
If you buy one off the shelf at a store your customer service issues are directed to a department in India.
HP moved their customer service to India recently. Dell moved it over and then enough people complained that they moved it back here. I've got a Dell 8200 desktop and a Dell Latitude laptop. I've got no complaints with either one and if I did I know I can get a hold of someone who can fix it and I don't have to take it back to a warehouse and try to get service. I built my desktop online at the Dell website. They're always running specials and free upgrades, not to mention, they have a killer finance program if you need to go that route. I did everything to the hilt with mine as pretty much by the time it's built it's outdated in this day and age. When I get ready for another computer you can bet it will be a Dell also. ;)

Screaming Pete
03-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Desktop replassment I have a Toshiba, it's always worked well for me and or less than 1500 bucks I have all the latest and greatest and it's 17 in 1 gig ram 80mb hard drive ect.. :boxed:

BADAXE
03-08-2005, 01:20 PM
HP moved their customer service to India recently.
Not if you build it in their online store.
You're only directed to India if you buy a stocker off the shelf.

THATJEFFGUY
03-08-2005, 01:20 PM
I just bought the Dell Inspiron 1150 (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_1150?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn) for around $800, free shipping, free DVD, Windows XP, 2.8 mhz, 60 gig HD. If you have a small business, you get a better price ! It's the best deal I have found so far...and their customer service speak ENGLISH...without the "7-Eleven dialect" !!

MAINEVENT
03-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Sweet guys thanx for all the input i had looked at the costco deals but my brother bugs me to go through dell so i might just have to check them out what are the new Movie and Photo editing programs out right now Keep in mind these are home movies of my kids and riding etc and just make photo albums on a DVD with a soundtrack in the back etc.... but i would like a good all around programs if anyone knows of any
TIA :)

Her454
03-08-2005, 02:14 PM
I've had IBM, Gateway, Dell and HP and the best so far is the HP. Their customer service is by far the best, and the computer has been the most reliable. Your best bet is to go to HP.com and build one to your specs. You will pay a bit more than Costco or Best Buy but will get exactly what you want. Then if you do need customer service you will directed to a department here in the US. If you buy one off the shelf at a store your customer service issues are directed to a department in India.
This is absolutely correct. You can go to HP.com and build your specs exactly the way you want them. ALSO, if you DO currently have something that is HP and are directed to India for whatever reason - ADAMANTLY request someone in the US to resolve your issue if you are not COMPLETELY satisfied.
Good luck in whatever you choose.

ROZ
03-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Someone say free Lapdances?

MAINEVENT
03-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Someone say free Lapdances?
wHERE :idea: :D :D :D

v-drive
03-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Our company bought 5 from del and everyone that has them is sold on del.
Bought my wife one for xmas and she is very happy with it. v-drive

riverracerx
03-08-2005, 02:45 PM
No really, I love PC's:
http://www.dansdata.com/images/io005/bsod.gif
APPLE! :D

Tom Brown
03-08-2005, 02:45 PM
strongly disagree... stay away from Apple... period!
Strongly disagree with your disagree.
I'm a PC guy and I've done some video work that has worked out OK but Apple has their shit together in the video world.
I'd stick with a PC too but the original point of Apple doing a sweet job of video is bang on.

barbigrl
03-08-2005, 02:53 PM
HP moved their customer service to India recently. Dell moved it over and then enough people complained that they moved it back here. I've got a Dell 8200 desktop and a Dell Latitude laptop. I've got no complaints with either one and if I did I know I can get a hold of someone who can fix it and I don't have to take it back to a warehouse and try to get service. I built my desktop online at the Dell website. They're always running specials and free upgrades, not to mention, they have a killer finance program if you need to go that route. I did everything to the hilt with mine as pretty much by the time it's built it's outdated in this day and age. When I get ready for another computer you can bet it will be a Dell also. ;)
For the first time ever...I agree with Jordy.
I have a Dell Inspirion 9100 laptop....zero complaints
AND THEY COME TO YOUR HOUSE TO FIX IT!!! That is if you buy that warranty...WELL WORTH IT! :D

OGShocker
03-08-2005, 02:59 PM
I am in the market for a Laptop I know ABSOLUTLY NOTHING about what is good and what is not need alittle help i want it to have a DVD burner and cd burner and really all i need it for is to edit and crerate photo albums and Movies to burn to a DVD from a DV camera and to go on the web :rollside:
Much thanks peeps :)
I have this one SAGER (http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product.cfm?ProductType=9860) and love it. I use it as my laptop and desktop. Guys at Sager are easy to work with.
Good luck!

Jbb
03-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Strongly disagree with your disagree.
I'm a PC guy and I've done some video work that has worked out OK but Apple has their shit together in the video world.
I'd stick with a PC too but the original point of Apple doing a sweet job of video is bang on.
Bang On..... :D

Bense468
03-08-2005, 03:19 PM
If your serious PM me. I got some pretty sick hookups through dell. Thats all I use for work.

racecar.hotshoe
03-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Heres my new laptop havent had any problems with it(yet)
http://www.areyougame.com/images/items/OA505.jpg
I think its a Dell! :D

MAINEVENT
03-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Heres my new laptop havent had any problems with it(yet)
http://www.areyougame.com/images/items/OA505.jpg
I think its a Dell! :D
I was waiting for that :hammerhea :hammerhea

MAINEVENT
03-08-2005, 04:21 PM
If your serious PM me. I got some pretty sick hookups through dell. Thats all I use for work.
Once i find what i need i will I am leaning toward a dell now too many +'s to it :idea: :idea:

Phat Matt
03-08-2005, 06:04 PM
I am a PC guy but you can't beat an Apple for audio and video.