PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers

Indiansprings
03-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Who has them? What do you got? I like the specs. on the Northstars. I like Dana's price on the Gibsons. What do you know about the GGB brand?

Havasu_Dreamin
03-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Rex Marine Power Silencers on a 525. Prior to install, DB was 96. After install db is now 88.

Indiansprings
03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
You like them? where did you get them?

Havasu_Dreamin
03-08-2005, 12:38 PM
You like them? where did you get them?
Uhhhhh, from Rex Marine. (http://www.rexmar.com/page236.html) Yes, very pleased with them in all respects.

UnionJack
03-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Savage (IMCO) Marine Inserts.... Teague 800 :cool:

That Guy
03-08-2005, 12:51 PM
HPI replacement tips on a 496 HO.....don't love them but they quieted us down enough to not get hassled.

Dimarco21
03-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Savage (IMCO) Marine Inserts.... Teague 800 :cool:
UnionJack, what was your before and after db levels?

Catatonic
03-08-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm looking at the Double-X clamp-on silencers from Eddie Marine. Anybody use them?

Dana Marine Products
03-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Anyone with a small block or 496 application, There are two new Gibson mufflers that will be released within 2-3 weeks. Can't give any more info than that right now. All I can say is we are aware of the different applications that need to be serviced. We will have a complete line with all options very soon.

Essex29
03-08-2005, 05:45 PM
What about guarantees?
Are any mfgs. stepping up to the plate and giving a guarantee to pass...or your money back?
I talked to a mfg at the show and they said if you did not pass with our system you were SOL...

Dana Marine Products
03-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Grey Goose, there's so many variables on engines, it would be next to impossible to give an across the board guarantee. 90 percent of the motors will pass with the Gibsons. Let me know what kind of motor you have and I can go over the specifics with you.

Mor's Lavey
03-08-2005, 05:51 PM
What about guarantees?
Are any mfgs. stepping up to the plate and giving a guarantee to pass...or your money back?
I talked to a mfg at the show and they said if you did not pass with our system you were SOL...
Rex Marine gives a guarantee that it will pass the Decible test. I have the silencers for a 496HO and they work great. No loss is RPM or MPH.

Essex29
03-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Grey Goose, there's so many variables on engines, it would be next to impossible to give an across the board guarantee. 90 percent of the motors will pass with the Gibsons. Let me know what kind of motor you have and I can go over the specifics with you.
Procharged HP500 EFI...

Procraftkev
03-08-2005, 06:16 PM
I think im going to go with the eddie marine big guns not the ones in the catalog the new ones they just came out with. They say they will make my 540 merlin 665hp pass and the look sic!

purrfecttremor
03-08-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm looking at the Double-X clamp-on silencers from Eddie Marine. Anybody use them?
i have them on back order.out of stock they should be available in two weeks.

termiteguy
03-08-2005, 06:39 PM
i have a 6.2 merc with stock exust installed under the swimsteps
do i ned mufflers

Dana Marine Products
03-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Grey Goose, with that kind of power, if you choose the Gibson line, you'll need the bullet style. You should pass with no problem. Check your PM's for an offer you can't refuse.

Indiansprings
03-08-2005, 09:56 PM
I love offers I cant refuse. I sure could use a PM. I have a 500 EFI

Huckleberry
03-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Dana Marine,
Any recommendations for motors that are running in the area of 1000 HP???

Indiansprings
03-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Well, I broke down and ordered some mufflers. I really did not want to do it, but I dont want any problems with Law Enforcement. Especially when you just pull up to the docks, ready to have a good time, and LE hands you a ticket and tells you to go home.

Dana Marine Products
03-09-2005, 09:35 AM
We just installed a set of Gibson's on the new 27 Dana Joker boat. That motor dyno'd @ 920 HP. I've ran the mufflers on 750 HP with no change in RPM or speed. If you were on a dyno you may see a difference in HP, but I have yet to see a boat slow down or lose RPM in the water from adding the Gibson's. Not to say it's impossible, because it is. Testing may be needed...

prosthogod
03-09-2005, 10:33 AM
So Dana, What is your smokin deal for replacement tips/mufflers for a through transom 496HO?

hotlavey
03-09-2005, 12:08 PM
We just installed a set of Gibson's on the new 27 Dana Joker boat. That motor dyno'd @ 920 HP. I've ran the mufflers on 750 HP with no change in RPM or speed. If you were on a dyno you may see a difference in HP, but I have yet to see a boat slow down or lose RPM in the water from adding the Gibson's. Not to say it's impossible, because it is. Testing may be needed...
I love smokin' deals too. Lavey2750 w/WhippledHP500EFI.

prosthogod
03-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Where did Mr. Dana go?

Dana Marine Products
03-09-2005, 12:40 PM
As previosly stated, there are two new systems directed specifically at 496 and small block applications. In 2-3 weeks I'll have more answers.

prosthogod
03-09-2005, 01:43 PM
As previosly stated, there are two new systems directed specifically at 496 and small block applications. In 2-3 weeks I'll have more answers.
Since it is already close to 90 degrees, I'll ask the questions further. You have to know more. Is it worth the wait? how much will they cost? what do they look like? Etc? you have to know something. If they don't come out for 3 weeks that means 4-5 and then there is availability. Am I bugging you yet?

Havasu_Dreamin
03-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Since it is already close to 90 degrees, I'll ask the questions further. You have to know more. Is it worth the wait? how much will they cost? what do they look like? Etc? you have to know something. If they don't come out for 3 weeks that means 4-5 and then there is availability. Am I bugging you yet?
Dude, cut Bob some slack! Like any manufacturer bringing a new product to market they can't realease everything until the product is completely ready. Bob is a class guy and he will not do anyone wrong.

ADDICTED
03-09-2005, 02:59 PM
The Gibson mufflers for the 496 and 6.2L and other smaller motor packages are going into production tomorow. They should be available in no more then 2 weeks.
I am sure that Dana will be the first to recieve them and provide them to the ***boat community.

Dana Marine Products
03-09-2005, 04:38 PM
You could never bug me, ask away. Yes I know alot more then I'm letting on. I already gave a cushion on my original time frame. Will it be quicker? Probably. Gibson kicks a-- and pumps the stuff out quick. The first version will be ready in 2 weeks or less. The 2nd version might be ready in 3-4 weeks. They look really nice. I will post pictures and info in one week.

pussywuped
03-09-2005, 08:08 PM
I just received my gibson bullits today, I can't install until the 18th, I will post my results after that, procharged 498 still breaking in ,but we do have a db meter to test sound.

Indiansprings
03-09-2005, 08:27 PM
How do they look? Build quality? I ordered a set today from Bob. He seemed like a real nice guy.
I was out on my boat today. That 500EFI sounds killer. I hope the Gibsons let some of that sound out.

pussywuped
03-09-2005, 08:52 PM
They look great, Can't wait to put them on. We have a Trip to tahoe this weedend so I have to wait. I am looking into putting some kind of bellows in- between the transom and the mufflers to hide the the clamps.

ADDICTED
03-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Just make sure guys when installing that you do not slide them on any more then 3". If you slide them on as far as they will go it will block off the outer chamber and not allow the muffler to work properly.

Indiansprings
03-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Good info. Can I put my rubber flappers in the outside of them. I also still have my inner flappers, I wont have a reversion problem, will I?

Dana Marine Products
03-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Indian Springs, re-install the external flappers on the mufflers. Take caution with your existing internal flaps. Internal flapper failure is common, if one breaks out with a muffler attached it will clog the muffler.

ADDICTED
03-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Like Dana said the internal flappers commonly fail. I would highly suggest removing them before installing any mufflers.

Indiansprings
03-11-2005, 09:49 AM
How do you get the internal ones out

ADDICTED
03-11-2005, 10:02 AM
I would be lying if I were to tell you I new.
I think Dana MNarine or a phew peeps on the board could answer this one. Mine just blew out over time.
With out mufflers of course.
I will go look at my boat and see how they come out.

Not So Fast
03-11-2005, 10:28 AM
You could never bug me, ask away. Yes I know alot more then I'm letting on. I already gave a cushion on my original time frame. Will it be quicker? Probably. Gibson kicks a-- and pumps the stuff out quick. The first version will be ready in 2 weeks or less. The 2nd version might be ready in 3-4 weeks. They look really nice. I will post pictures and info in one week.
Dana; Maybe a stupid question but if it were your boat would you go with clamp-ons or the thru transom model? is there a difference in anyway as far as being further away from the motor (REVERSION). To get the tailpipes or tips off of my Magic is from what I heard "A Bitch" because they are siliconed very well and very hard to remove! Are the new models a straight thru design, do they have internal flappers, is there room to re-install external flappers?? What O.D.?? I know it's a lot of Questions but it's cool to be able to communicate with a manufactuer or distributer that at least knows about their product. The season is just beginning and there has been so much speculation about the products and how it will all pan out that it gets a little confusing after youve read a gazzlion articles on who, what, where. Thanks for all of your time. your info is very important to all of us!! NSF

GBLASER
03-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Is the law stating that any boat with thru transom exhaust must have mufflers? I have launched at havasu marina with no problems. I have a jet boat with a 454 and thru transom exhaust are they going to make me put mufflers on? Are any of the other marinas going to be stopping people from launching now?

Dana Marine Products
03-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Not So Fast...Here's some information,
My preference would be transom mount if the boat would allow it. It's a cleaner installation and you won't have any theft problems. Some boats won't allow the installation of transom mounts, so clamp on's are the only option. Anti theft devices are being developed for the clamp on's as we speak.
Silicone stuck tips - Try heating the flange with a heat gun. This will loosen the silicone a little, but it's still a b-tch.
Yes the new style is a straight through design. It's a much smaller version, that's why it is specific to small blocks and 496's only.
There are no internal flappers in the new style clamp on. An internal flapper on the transom mount version is being discussed, but no concrete info on that yet.
The external clamp on flapper will work with all existing Gibson bullet mufflers and they will also fit on the new 496 stuff that is coming.
The new 496 stuff is 4" O.D.
Any other questions, feel free to fire away. Thanks,
Bob @ Dana

Dana Marine Products
03-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Mr. Springs, Flapper removal will depend on who's tips are in the boat. The metal flap plate that swivels on the offset pin would have to be cut out. The pin is welded into the tip. Some flaps are help in with brass bushings. The pins have to be punched out of the bushings with that style.

Dana Marine Products
03-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Gblazer, the law is not specific to Havasu Marina or any other marina. The law will be inforced on the water also. Will you need mufflers? Probably. I don't know how loud your boat is, but they will be checking. Better safe than sorry.

Not So Fast
03-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Bob. you are the man, you have probably made ma a convert to Gibson from Eddie DBL X, reason 1. price gouging by Eddie 2. I am worried about water flow restriction with that type of set-up (flow will hit a wall with their flat baffle and THAT is the reversion I'm talking about) 3. one main reason I think most Magic owners have is the large OD on the bullets, will they clear the Aquastep?? hard to move them!!. Anyway thanks for the info and am looking forward to the new models. NSF PS just in case a 496 was tinkered with would the new model still handle any increase in HP?? THAnKS AGAIN

Dana Marine Products
03-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Not So, You're on the right track. Your thoughts on the reversion issue are right on the mark. The new Gibson 496 muffler might be able to handle more HP. When I get a set we will be doing some testing on HP motors as well as Bassett over the transom applications.

GBLASER
03-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Is it me or is Dana trying to sell alot of mufflers? just my .02.............................. Just kidding

summerlove
03-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Rex Marine Power Silencers on a 525. Prior to install, DB was 96. After install db is now 88.
ok, want to know - did they give you a free pair for the test iin the magazine? If so, way cool.... :D

Dana Marine Products
03-14-2005, 06:22 AM
Hey GBlaz, I'm not sure if the word trying is the proper choice for that sentence. LOL

GBLASER
03-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Maybe someone should buy the turbine that was in the channel this weekend LMAO.. pretty quiet but I don't know if anyone builds mufflers for that exhaust yet.......

Krumbsnatcher
03-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Dana i have a blown 540 with a TBS 250 and a single dominator 1050. She will produce an honest 700 to 750hp. My type boat is a Magic 29 as per my avatar.
I just snapped some shots of the exhaust tips under the swim step and it looks to me like the Bullets will work.
Prices please, also have you done any Magic 29's?

Krumbsnatcher
03-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Not So Fast...Here's some information,
My preference would be transom mount if the boat would allow it. It's a cleaner installation and you won't have any theft problems. Some boats won't allow the installation of transom mounts, so clamp on's are the only option. Anti theft devices are being developed for the clamp on's as we speak.
Silicone stuck tips - Try heating the flange with a heat gun. This will loosen the silicone a little, but it's still a b-tch.
Yes the new style is a straight through design. It's a much smaller version, that's why it is specific to small blocks and 496's only.
There are no internal flappers in the new style clamp on. An internal flapper on the transom mount version is being discussed, but no concrete info on that yet.
The external clamp on flapper will work with all existing Gibson bullet mufflers and they will also fit on the new 496 stuff that is coming.
The new 496 stuff is 4" O.D.
Any other questions, feel free to fire away. Thanks,
Bob @ Dana
Lose the heat gun you will be wasting your time, I have a magic and you will need a bunsen torch and a pair of vice grips, just keep heating the inside and they will come easy once they are ready. No damage occurs to the gel coat because the silicon acts as the insulator for the heat.
Personal Experience, if you have ?'s pm me.

Dana Marine Products
03-14-2005, 03:41 PM
As long as the boat will allow the installation, I think you'll be pleased with the results. We've got them in stock, but I would suggest acting quickly. They're leaving very quickly.

Indiansprings
03-19-2005, 11:07 PM
Bob at Dana marine is a stand up guy. You cant go wrong. :p