PDA

View Full Version : Military Brats

CenCal
03-09-2005, 04:12 PM
New to the boards and was wondering how many military brats are here. Those who don't know. A military brat had a father or mother in some branch of the military. Military brats lived on military bases all over the world or just state side. My Dad did 20 years in the Army with two tours to Vietnam. We moved almost every year. I spent most of my teen years(5) living and going to school in Germany were i met my wife in the 7th grade. So how many of you are out there and where did you live? :chi: I know of two that are military brats. Heavy D and DIILIGAF come out of the closet :cool:

HeavyD
03-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Yo Dale,
Okay i am a brat and the lowest form, my dad was an enlisted man not one of those officer types that got to live in the nicer base housing and got away with everything they did. Twenty years as a brat in the Air Force mostly in England and Texas.
Laughlin is coming up, I am riding as much as possible to get ready for it, hope to see you and Lisa there, but if she has to good of a time Tom and I are going to make her wear a helmet all day even at Denny's at 3am.
Dave

callbob4homes
03-09-2005, 04:58 PM
First 14 years of my life, from one side of the country to the other and a year and a half in Turkey. That was in mid 60's and used to watch Anti American demonstrations go by every now and then. Some good memories, some not so good, but at least I got to go to the same school for my high school years after Dad retired. Then the downfall began, discovered beer, pussy, fast cars........................oh yeah the good ole days. Now it's just me and the old lady and a six pack. *sigh* :argue: :wink:

CenCal
03-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Yo Dale,
Okay i am a brat and the lowest form, my dad was an enlisted man not one of those officer types that got to live in the nicer base housing and got away with everything they did. Twenty years as a brat in the Air Force mostly in England and Texas.
Laughlin is coming up, I am riding as much as possible to get ready for it, hope to see you and Lisa there, but if she has to good of a time Tom and I are going to make her wear a helmet all day even at Denny's at 3am.
Dave
Ya those officer types and i married the daughter of one :hammerhea Tom was an officer type :idea: wasn't he. Looking forward to Laughlin this year since Lisa will get to go for the frist time. Get the Helmet ready because you know she's going to fine that good time :)

AirtimeLavey
03-09-2005, 05:51 PM
California, Paraguay (S. America), D.C., Delaware, Vermont, Florida, Spain, Texas, back to Cali...no wonder I'm schizo...Air Force brat. Had it's pluses and some definite negs. Weirdest thing was the cultural changes. Like, what was cool in Texas was red-neck in CA, and what was cool in CA was gay in Texas. Spain was cool. Had some political termoil at the time (Franco died) and so there were times us Americans had to stay low pro. or risk getting kidnapped.

EAZYKILLER2006
01-03-2007, 12:15 AM
New to the boards and was wondering how many military brats are here. Those who don't know. A military brat had a father or mother in some branch of the military. Military brats lived on military bases all over the world or just state side. My Dad did 20 years in the Army with two tours to Vietnam. We moved almost every year. I spent most of my teen years(5) living and going to school in Germany were i met my wife in the 7th grade. So how many of you are out there and where did you live? :chi: I know of two that are military brats. Heavy D and DIILIGAF come out of the closet :cool:
i am an AFB ...we lived "overseas" most of my life... in "germany i lived on the AFB bitburg"...in england "woodbridge/bentwaters".....till 1980...when i met hubby...heres one i really liked ...from the other thread...
:devil:
"I've absolutely been accused of acting white by different individuals that are part of different Hispanic communities. And I consider that an enormous insult to my character simply because you shouldn't have to act any way just because of your culture or your ethnicity or your race or any of that. You should just be exactly who it is that you are." - Olga Ramos:devil:
i guess it bothered me, cus my dad is from "spain" and mom is "mexican"...AND I DONT speak spanish...:( ~~~i just try telling ppl "yea well, who was i going to speak spanish to in germany and england?"...lolhttp://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/eazykiller2006/10yearreunion.jpg*woodbridge england reunion*

DILLIGAF
01-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Since we had 11 kids they tried to make it more stable as far as the moving thing as we started getting older. Prior to me the family lived in Germany and Japan. I was born at Fort Benning and spent time in CO, SC, OK but mostly grew up off of Fort Ord, CA. I never made it overseas myself. 10 of us went to the same high school in Seaside. At one point they were going to give us two houses to live in (the kind that were connected together) but my Mom shot that idea down. She did not want to worry about two houses to keep clean. All of us 6 boys stayed in the same room with the military cots for beds....lol
Growing up as a military brat was different for sure. One thing is you learn to make friends quickly.

Seadog
01-03-2007, 06:12 AM
My Dad was an NCO for 27 years, getting out in 75 because the politicians were destroying the ability of the military to function. I was in Cuba before Castro took over, lived in Panama during kindergarten, spent the first half of 1st grade in Junction City, KS before finishing up 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Germany. I spent 7th grade in Ft. Ord, CA and the rest in various schools in Kansas while my Dad was either stationed at Ft. Riley or in asia. He was acting Division S-2 when the Army started riverine ops in the delta, and then ran a POR school for officers afterwards.
One thing about the military, you have friends everywhere. At 80, my Dad still goes around the country to visit old friends. When I was active duty, I would run into people everywhere that knew my family. I was stationed on a mountain in the middle of nowhere, Korea, when an uncle dropped by for a visit. Of course, it could have been worse. My brother went to basic in the same company that I did. They still had the same senior DI who remembered me well, and the company commander was a friend of my Dad. When you are 'family', they don't cut you any slack.

DILLIGAF
01-03-2007, 06:31 AM
I spent 7th grade in Ft. Ord, CA
Fitch?
:)

Seadog
01-03-2007, 02:32 PM
?:confused:

DILLIGAF
01-03-2007, 02:43 PM
?:confused:
Fitch Jr High would have been the school you went to in the 7th grade if you went to school on Fort Ord

BajaMike
01-03-2007, 03:45 PM
My dad was an officer and pilot in the Air Force, and after the war was at McCord AFB near Tacoma, WA, then transferred to March AFB. He left the Air Force when I was very young, so I never traveled around and was never a "military brat"...:idea:
:D

DILLIGAF
01-03-2007, 03:52 PM
My dad was an officer and pilot in the Air Force, and after the war was at McCord AFB near Tacoma, WA, then transferred to March AFB. He left the Air Force when I was very young, so I never traveled around and was never a "military brat"...:idea:
:D
You can't get away from your past. If a military man is your Dad and he was active when you were born you are still a brat :)

H20Advantage
01-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Yep you got me...I was born on a military base and lived by one for 18 years of my life. Dad was a pilot and step-dad was full bird Colonel. I seen a few bases in my growing up years....:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-03-2007, 03:55 PM
I've got the "brat" part down pretty good. :)
Tom, do you know where SinCal was at in Germany (since he just pops in here occassionally)? I was born in the Army hospital in Nurnburg . . . just wondering if we were at the same place at the same time.

BajaMike
01-03-2007, 03:55 PM
You can't get away from your past. If a military man is your Dad and he was active when you were born you are still a brat :)
Ok, Tom, I guess I was a brat for 3 years.....my ex-wives would probably say I still am a brat.......:D
:idea:

DILLIGAF
01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Ok, Tom, I guess I was a brat for 3 years.....my ex-wives would probably say I still am a brat.......:D
For all of you brats of officers I hope you use USAA for insurance, financing, mortgages, etc. You get a good deal and are entitled to it. Of course you have to be an officers kid to be eligible. Great service, better rates and pleasant customer service. Can't beat it.
USAA.COM

BajaMike
01-03-2007, 04:00 PM
For all of you brats of officers I hope you use USAA for insurance, financing, mortgages, etc. You get a good deal and are entitled to it. Of course you have to be an officers kid to be eligible. Great service, better rates and pleasant customer service. Can't beat it.
USAA.COM
I use USAA for everything...they are great. I think they now allow enlisted to join also.

DILLIGAF
01-03-2007, 04:03 PM
I use USAA for everything...they are great. I think they now allow enlisted to join also.
DAMN! Not the enlisted :(
lol

Patyacht
01-03-2007, 04:24 PM
USAA.COM
Just got this from the USAA.COM Web site. Enlisted are Eligible now.
USAA Membership:
You may be eligible for membership. Active duty officers and enlisted personnel (E-4 and above).
National Guard, Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel (E-4 and above).
Officer candidates in commissioning programs.
Recently retired or separated military personnel.
Children of USAA members.
Former USAA members.

Seadog
01-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Fitch Jr High would have been the school you went to in the 7th grade if you went to school on Fort Ord
Heck, that was about 1965. I barely remember the sweet young thing I was necking behind the couch that year.

DILLIGAF
01-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Heck, that was about 1965. I barely remember the sweet young thing I was necking behind the couch that year.
HAHA.....

EAZYKILLER2006
01-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Yep you got me...I was born on a military base and lived by one for 18 years of my life. Dad was a pilot and step-dad was full bird Colonel. I seen a few bases in my growing up years....:D
I was born on a military base also...illinois... champaign:) yep...my dad did 20 years in the AF....

SinCal
01-03-2007, 07:08 PM
I've got the "brat" part down pretty good. :)
Tom, do you know where SinCal was at in Germany (since he just pops in here occassionally)? I was born in the Army hospital in Nurnburg . . . just wondering if we were at the same place at the same time.
I lived in Bad Krueznach from age 14 to 19. Before that Hawaii, Washington, Ohio,Maryland and California.