PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

Boozer
03-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Tuesday night I decided to go snowboarding for the first time in California. It came as no surprise to me that conditions and snow were a lot different then the mountains in Colorado. After a few runs I was feeling confident and decided it was time to start ripping down the mountain. 6 runs into the night I caught my edge on some ice and went over face first. A few people who witnessed estimated I was going somewhere in the ballpark of 30-35 mph when I ate it. I was unconcious for about 20 seconds and it took me about 10 minutes to regain my breath. The fall was pretty much equivalent to running face first into a block wall at 30.
Today I am sorer then I was yesterday and was in some real pain while detailing a car this morning. I figured it would be good to go get some X-Rays. 3 busted ribs, a sprained wrist, and some strained muscles in my neck were the result of my fall.
How long does it hurt with the busted up ribs? I can't cough or laugh it even hurts like hell to sneeze right now.
Needless to say I wont be riding again this season.

Jordy
03-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Because of this or being incarcerated? :D :D :D
Sorry Boozer, just couldn't pass that one up. :D

hoolign
03-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Ribs take quite a while to heal fully . three years after i broke mine i could still feel it if i bumped them. sucks dude ! stay off the hoolies caughing really sucks..speedy recovery
DR.H

Mardonzi
03-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Ouch is right,, I feel for ya.....
On a sour note,, just wait till you get the hiccups....... :220v:

ratso
03-10-2005, 01:48 PM
My son is going snowboarding all next week...

HCS
03-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Oh come on! Get out there. We call it California concrete. :D The only time we get powder is right after the snow falls. Then the groomers pack it all down nice and hard. :wink:

BarryMac
03-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Going #2 isn't a real pleasure either, eat lots of Bran...

charlyox
03-10-2005, 01:50 PM
I feel your pain. broken or cracked ribs really hurt.Espicially when you sneeze.Good luck mending.

AirtimeLavey
03-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Sure it was the snowboarding, and not what happened down at the station? Damn, dude, sounds rough. Nothing you can do about the ribs, either. just try not to breath as much and you'll be fine. I cracked a couple ribs windsurfing a few years ago. It sucked.
I was up riding at Summit on Sun, and it was a perfect So Cal day...and great snow. Hope you heal quick.

Dr. Eagle
03-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Vicodin is your friend right now... use the force...
Sorry bout your luck my friend... that must really hurt. Especially a few days later... :eek:

MOBrien
03-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Dude, I did the same exact thing. Was on the hill with my wife and her sister. About an hour into our day I was heading down the steeps and was haulin ass, then I look up and see this lady snowplowing down a black diamond run....she was obviously out of her comfort zone....I did my best to avoid her as she steers right into my path instead of away from me and I caught a toe-side edge and...WHACK! face first really hard. Broke 3 ribs and had a serious freaking headache. I too was out for what I was told to be like 15-20 seconds and woke up with my wife & sister-in-law staring down at me freaking out. It took what seemed to be forever to catch my breath. Ski Patrol tried their hardest to get me into the bucket and I told them NEVER....I'll board to the bottom. Went back up for another run and couldn't buckle myself in at the top. Getting down that mtn was a real biotch. Thank goodness there was a bar at the bottom to keep me inspired to make it down.
As for how long it hurts.....get used to it. I was in noticeable pain for about 6-8 weeks. Coughing, sneezing, breathing, damn....moving in general hurt for quite a while. Totally sucked.
Good luck with your recovery.

Jordy
03-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Vicodin is your friend right now...
Why just right now? Vicodin is always your friend. :D

Dr. Eagle
03-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Why just right now? Vicodin is always your friend. :D
Excellent point! :cool:

JetBoatRich
03-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Boozer to read about you accident :mad: just trying to have fun :D
I know your pain and as some said :jawdrop: use the Vicoden, it really helps :supp:

RiverOtter
03-10-2005, 03:32 PM
It came as no surprise to me that conditions and snow were a lot different then the mountains in Colorado.
Sorry about the giga faceplant :messedup: But how is CA snow different form CO snow. I am suppost to make my 1st trip to Heavenly March 31. What should I expect? I have skied CO and UT many times and just got back from MT.

AirtimeLavey
03-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Sorry about the giga faceplant :messedup: But how is CA snow different form CO snow. I am suppost to make my 1st trip to Heavenly March 31. What should I expect? I have skied CO and UT many times and just got back from MT.
In So Cal, they make snow! Ends up kinda granular. When the weather's warm during the day, it gets slushy, then freezes at night, and gets icy. A couple local resorts have night skiing, with lights on the bigger runs. This time a year, it can be icy for night skiing.
Heavenly is all natural, I'm pretty sure. So, it should be great skiing. I usually go up there once a year. Take half a day and do some snowmobiling along the ridges. Spectacular views. Look up tours at a place called Zypher cove. http://www.zephyrcove.com/ZCR/index.html I usually rent a cabin on lake, from them.
Have fun!!! Should be some great California spring skiing/riding conditions (women in bikini tops, etc.). :D :cool:

RiverOtter
03-10-2005, 04:51 PM
In So Cal, they make snow! Ends up kinda granular. When the weather's warm during the day, it gets slushy, then freezes at night, and gets icy. A couple local resorts have night skiing, with lights on the bigger runs. This time a year, it can be icy for night skiing.
Heavenly is all natural, I'm pretty sure. So, it should be great skiing. I usually go up there once a year. Take half a day and do some snowmobiling along the ridges. Spectacular views. Look up tours at a place called Zypher cove. http://www.zephyrcove.com/ZCR/index.html I usually rent a cabin on lake, from them.
Have fun!!! Should be some great California spring skiing/riding conditions (women in bikini tops, etc.). :D :cool:
Thanks! I was getting worried :squiggle:

pixilatedpussy
03-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Tuesday night I decided to go snowboarding for the first time in California. It came as no surprise to me that conditions and snow were a lot different then the mountains in Colorado. After a few runs I was feeling confident and decided it was time to start ripping down the mountain. 6 runs into the night I caught my edge on some ice and went over face first. A few people who witnessed estimated I was going somewhere in the ballpark of 30-35 mph when I ate it. I was unconcious for about 20 seconds and it took me about 10 minutes to regain my breath. The fall was pretty much equivalent to running face first into a block wall at 30.
Today I am sorer then I was yesterday and was in some real pain while detailing a car this morning. I figured it would be good to go get some X-Rays. 3 busted ribs, a sprained wrist, and some strained muscles in my neck were the result of my fall.
How long does it hurt with the busted up ribs? I can't cough or laugh it even hurts like hell to sneeze right now.
Sorry to hear about your accident Boozer! Was it Liquid Courage? Are you still goin riding next weekend in Glamis? Or are ya Looky Lou Bound??? Hope you start feeling better soon. Come by our camp and I will make you a special DRINK!!!! :messedup:

Debbolas
03-10-2005, 07:32 PM
When I use to ski, I remember the ice/snow was like gravel, because it melts during the day, freezes at night and the these machines come around and grind it up into chunks.
So I'm going down this run on "gravel" thinking that if I fall, my face is gone.....Good incentive to keep on your feet :wink:
Hope ya feel better Boozer :wink:

Kilrtoy
03-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident Boozer! Was it Liquid Courage? Are you still goin riding next weekend in Glamis? Or are ya Looky Lou Bound??? Hope you start feeling better soon. Come by our camp and I will make you a special DRINK!!!! :messedup:
Of course he is going, its only 3 broken ribs sprained wrist and a sore neck...... :p

pixilatedpussy
03-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Of course he is going, its only 3 broken ribs sprained wrist and a sore neck...... :p
SWEET!!!! How about you???? :lightsabe

LUVNLIFE
03-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Broken ribs suck Boozer. :yuk: Hurt anytime you move anything. Use your Vicotan and relax :D

pixilatedpussy
03-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Boozer, Come out come out whever you are!! VICODIN!!!!! :squiggle:

Kilrtoy
03-10-2005, 08:04 PM
No we will be at the river.....

pixilatedpussy
03-10-2005, 08:38 PM
No we will be at the river.....
oh ya frenchies b-day, havea good time tell frenchie happy b-day from both of us.

Kilrtoy
03-10-2005, 08:40 PM
oh ya frenchies b-day, havea good time tell frenchie happy b-day from both of us.
Frenchie just happens to be having a party.
IM GOING TO SHAKE YA AZZ B-day party, more hot chicks there and a jaquzzi...

pixilatedpussy
03-10-2005, 08:46 PM
sound sweet, well , have good good time there, be safe.

Boozer
03-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Tylenol is as good as it gets for pain killers. I'm allergic to vicodin and all other opiates :( I'm back on my non smoking kick so booze it out fo the question too. This weekend I'm going to spend lounging around but next weekend I'll probably head to havasu instead of glamis.
I was talking to a friend today that had the same experience I did last week, only instead of broken ribs he broke his head and lost about 2 weeks worth of memory leading up to his mishap.

Dr. Eagle
03-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Tylenol is as good as it gets for pain killers. I'm allergic to vicodin and all other opiates
:frown: Bummer... See if you can get some Ultram or Trammadol. It is better than Tylenol and non narcotic. It is an analgesic that doesn't have any of the opiate side effects... :jawdrop:

HCS
03-11-2005, 10:44 AM
:frown: Bummer... See if you can get some Ultram or Trammadol. It is better than Tylenol and non narcotic. It is an analgesic that doesn't have any of the opiate side effects... :jawdrop:
Ok Dr. :D

mtndewdrops
03-11-2005, 12:43 PM
It usually takes 6-8 weeks for the ribs to heal. I cracked a couple last year knee boarding. It is the coughs, sneezes and laughs that are most painful. I also had a difficult time sleeping on my side.
Hope you feel better soon

pixilatedpussy
03-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Tylenol is as good as it gets for pain killers. I'm allergic to vicodin and all other opiates :( I'm back on my non smoking kick so booze it out fo the question too. This weekend I'm going to spend lounging around but next weekend I'll probably head to havasu instead of glamis.
I was talking to a friend today that had the same experience I did last week, only instead of broken ribs he broke his head and lost about 2 weeks worth of memory leading up to his mishap.
Sorry, Hope you start feeling better soon!!!

Moe_Havi
03-11-2005, 05:23 PM
did those nazis down at fontana PD stick any plungers up your...never mind. get well.

IN2-IN2MX
03-12-2005, 08:38 AM
Eowwww! Sorry to hear this Boozer. Feel better.