PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Which one should I sign the kids up for....

SDLifesaver
03-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Ty-Kwon-Do or Kempo is good for kids because they are hard styles meaning they do alot of abrubt stops instead of flowing and continuous moves. Kung Fu and Aikido are the softer flowing styles. I took Kempo when I was younger and it was easy to learn and there were alot of kids that caught on fast. Good luck

bigq
03-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Which one should I sign the kids up for....
Whats the goal? Self defense, discipline problems.Whrere I trained we had kids classes, but it was at a very traditional Korean school. They had stressed discipline and respect in a very blunt way that some might get offended by, but they were all very well taught. For the mainstream you can try Red Dragon, I also heard Kim's Tae Kwon Do is great with training kids. Some even have after school programs where they do Homework and train.

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Son cant play sports due to asthma....
He wants to take martial arts....
Its always nice to know, that you can kick ass if the need ever arises....

Flying Tiger
03-12-2005, 04:47 PM
A teriffic school is on Devonshire and Canoga, the old vaccum cleaner store.
I know most the instructors and the training is excellent.
My son regularly kicks the snot outta bullies in the neighborhood and at his school.
It has it all.

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 04:48 PM
I know that school very well, but they want 300 a month for 2 kids....
Seems kinda high compared to everyone else....

Flying Tiger
03-12-2005, 04:50 PM
In that case the best deal is the martial arts school next to the Do it center in Simi.
Only 10 bucks per visit,, no contract, pay as you go.
The boys ride their bikes there regularly and the place is excellent.
My son Simonized Mbrowns F#*kball neighbor just last week. Martial arts is excellent.
Even my daughter is good at it.
Gango chicks get physical and your girls can cure that attitude in about 3 seconds.
I dated a girl on the personals,, she thought Martial arts meant Marry-tal arts.
In other words, she thought it meant the guy was trained in marriage.
I $#it you not.

bigq
03-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Just talk to the instuctor about the asthma, increase the Omega-3 fats (may help the ashtma, no I am not a doctor:disclaimer) and sign him up.
:D Tae Kwon Do will have a lot of high, spinning kicks if he likes that, lots of leg work.

Flying Tiger
03-12-2005, 05:05 PM
You might consider running the kids in a cheapy place and see if their hearts are in it. Then, if so,, think it over if you want to commit.
I hate contracts of this sort,, so the school in Simi works fine.

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 05:06 PM
is there a better one and a worse one.....
That didnt sound right....
I guess what are the pros and cons of the various forms....

RP1
03-12-2005, 05:06 PM
That's a good choice. My brother was in the same situation with Asthma as a child and went into martial arts until the Asthma calmed down a bit. He really enjoyed it and fealt the whole "sport" concept by participating.

NashvilleBound
03-12-2005, 05:10 PM
We all took Kung Fu for 3 years. It is a very smooth defensive art. Ty kwon do (Most likely mis-spelled) is the opposite end. Very brute force rough offensive tactics. Any of them are good for the kids to learn disipline. Its finding a teacher that the kids are comfortble with is the hardest part.

canuck1
03-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Tae Kwon Do is the way to go for the kids. As NB said the most important part is the instructor, if they will allow you to join in for the first while it will help your kids to get into a comfort zone with the school and their instructors. Do let the instructors know about the asthma as the training can be altered to help them.

cc322
03-12-2005, 06:41 PM
How about Tae bo, they learn to defend themselves and get a good workout :D
I dont know karate but I know crazy ;)

H20Advantage
03-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Kilrtoy,
I was a kenpo instructor for years and love it as an all around martial art especially for the L.E. field. My son (10) is taking tai kwon do and loves it.
The reason I put him in tai kwon do was the instructor. Your Mr. Miagi (spelling??) type and it has worked for my son and his personality type. The instructor is old school and very structured. The kids also focus on punches and kicks and don't seem to get into alot of techniques, which he may use at school and get in trouble with.
When he gets a little older I will have him train in kenpo, hapkido or one of the other arts. Right now he is having fun, exercising and building some basic skills and discipline.
As long as the kids are having fun and learning they are all good.

OutCole'd
03-12-2005, 07:41 PM
This is what my daughter is doing. She really loves it.
http://www.ataonline.com/

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 07:45 PM
It seems Tae kwon Do is the way to go for kids......
We found a place that seems reasonable and is close to home.....
Thanks for all the info guys.....

bohica
03-12-2005, 09:06 PM
My daughter has been with United Studios of Self Defense for 8 years now. Great studio if you find the right one. Not your typical studio where kids are black belts at young ages. She's been a brown belt for 3 years now and she'll stay there for a while. Their rule is no kids promoted to black belt unless they can prove they can defend off an adult. When someone becomes a black belt in their system, you know they can kick some ass.

racecar.hotshoe
03-12-2005, 09:06 PM
They will love it!Mark(7) & Mikaela(5) have been in it for 1 1/2 years!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1917kids1.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1917kids2.jpg

bohica
03-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Tae Kwan Do is for pussies. Teaching them to break wood won't help prevent them from getting their ass kicked.
Shaolin Kenpo Karate is the way to go.

moneypit
03-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Kilr. I treat many Ultimate Figters. Everyone one of them have suggested Judo or Jiu-Jitsu.
When it comes to real self defense, Karate teaches to many bad habits (they tell me). I have my son in Judo. Hes 7 and hes improved in athletic ability 10 fold.
One of my patients teaches Mixed martial arts fighting techniques here in Simi at a boxing gym. He has fought in Pride, King of the Cage and Mui Tai. I have been taking lessons from him for a while now. He teaches kids also. My sons Judo teacher is a 70 year old 10th degree black belt and he is amazing with kids.
Both are in Simi. Let me know if you are interested.

Boozer
03-12-2005, 09:17 PM
To hell with that Kilr drop em off in Compton and let em fend for themselves for 2 hours a week. Be careful with the karate, before long your kids are going to be able to kick your ass.
Kilrtoy: Son do your homework or I'm taking away your TV.
Kilrtoys son: Dad I will bust a kung fu punch upside your head if you tell me what to do one more time, you know what happened the last time you threatened me, I'd hate to see you piss blood for a week again.
Kilrtoy: Don't make me get the pepper spray.

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 09:22 PM
To hell with that Kilr drop em off in Compton and let em fend for themselves for 2 hours a week. Be careful with the karate, before long your kids are going to be able to kick your ass.
Kilrtoy: Son do your homework or I'm taking away your TV.
Kilrtoys son: Dad I will bust a kung fu punch upside your head if you tell me what to do one more time, you know what happened the last time you threatened me, I'd hate to see you piss blood for a week again.
Kilrtoy: Don't make me get the pepper spray.
That is some funny shiat Boozer...
Now this thread is getting good....
So what do I enroll them in....
What are the differences between all of the arts

Boozer
03-12-2005, 09:24 PM
That is some funny shiat Boozer...
Now this thread is getting good....
So what do I enroll them in....
What are the differences between all of the arts
I vote for Mexican Judo
Judo no if I got a gun
Judo no if I got a knife
Judo no Ju you?

Racer277
03-12-2005, 09:25 PM
The big MMA fights about 13 years ago really turned the MA community upside down. No one in any of the hard styles expected Judo and JJ to do so well. In face it has dominated and proven without the wrestling knowledge, you were toast.
But this is for the kids, so I would think that key would be to find a good instructor, then they will have years to figure out what styles suit them.
Don't rule out any of the 'soft' styles. I know than girls and women can become very good quickly in some of the softer styles of Kung Fu, as they are used to learning 'techniques'. They seem more able to choreagraph from dance experience.
My .02

moneypit
03-12-2005, 09:29 PM
It all boils down to whats more useful in real life self defense. Judo is all about balance. Throws.& Chokes/submissions. Judo works well for a kid that may want to wrestle.
Karate is self explanatory...But it all depends on the school. I dont want to buy my kid a belt. I would rather him earn it. His instructors believe the same thing. I would rather him go to a good karate instructor as opposed to a terrible judo/ tai kwon do instructor..

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Ok how do you know if they are good or not

moneypit
03-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Get a referral... visit the school.. watch a few lessons. See if the instructors actually teach or do they just sit in their office. Sometimes these schools will have students teach the class. Also when they say, I'll have your son a black belt in no time, its probably not a good place...

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Anything else to look out for

Dr. Eagle
03-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Anything else to look out for
Pissing off Bruce Lee? :confused: :D

Mandelon
03-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Check with HDD, Glen was a serious MA fighter for several years.

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Check with HDD, Glen was a serious MA fighter for several years.
Really I would have never known.....
Come on, my kid is not into Sumo Wrestling
Just kidding glen

bigq
03-12-2005, 11:34 PM
There kids so I would say let them train with who you feel comfortable with. They can learn how to kill someone later if thats what you want :( .
Tae Kwon Do is great and what I trained in, but I would say 75% is useless in a street fight, but it is well rounded. I looked at Akido and it is very defensive style. The one I would be interested in is Kenpo with a mix of some grappling. :messedup: Tae Kwon Do would be great for kids though.

SoCal_fun
03-13-2005, 01:30 AM
I have studied in a mixed Kenpo/Jujitsu style that was very effective. Also Hapkido as a Teen with some tounament experience. Hapkido is a good option instead of TKD as it leaves out many of the 'sporting' aspects and goes for the street credibility IMHO.
My kids will go to the Kenpo/Jujitsu styles when the time comes. Great all around fighting and also grappling skills. Find an instructor who is also a human and can relate to the kids and people in the class.
Good luck!

hot_diggity_dog
03-13-2005, 06:25 AM
Really I would have never known.....
Come on, my kid is not into Sumo Wrestling
Just kidding glen
Ok Kilrtoy here's the real scoop.
1. Location is probably going to be a big factor, so that will narrow down your options unless you want to travel.
I think I would be able to give you some good imput on this subject. :D
I'll give you my background so you can ask me some questions. :rolleyes:
Wrestling and judo ended after three years in college. I was a State place winner in High School and twice in college for wrestling.
Coached High School Wrestling.
Trained at the Olympic training center for wrestling in Colorado Springs for the 1980 Olympics that eventually go boycotted.
I have Trained in the traditional Japanese Karate in both Shotokan & Gojo Ryu styles and am a 3rd degree.
I was an instructor for 5 years
I was the 1989 National Champion in Kumite (Sparring) in 1989 and runner up in 1988.
I was a member of the USKF National team for three years and participated in the World Championships in 1990.
I Trained twice at the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs with the US Karate team.
I also was into kick boxing for a few years with a 10-0 record.
It all depends on what you want your kids to get out of it.
Traditional martial arts for discipline.
Some schools maybe be to strict and not much fun for kids.
I would start your kids in a school with someone he/she knows so they don't feel so intimidated.
After their in for a awhile you will know what direction to go.
PM me if you really need some info.
HDD

XTRM22
03-13-2005, 08:13 AM
If you wait long enough, someone that knows what they're talking about will pipe in, I was waiting for you Glenn. I trained in Tae Kwon Do for a couple years in college, but never had the discipline to get past a brown belt (I'd have to start as a white now I imagine). I think for kids it is more about the instructors style then the art style, my nephews have both taken Tae Kwon Do as an after school program in Phoenix, but neither have learned anything useful. I am considering getting back into martial arts for the flexibility it inspires (I'd just look gay doing yoga). Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Do are both useable arts and seemed to me less complicated then many of the soft styles. Just wanted to add my .02
Chuck :)

OutCole'd
03-13-2005, 08:20 AM
1. Location is probably going to be a big factor, so that will narrow down your options unless you want to travel.
Wrestling and judo ended after three years in college. I was a State place winner in High School and twice in college for wrestling.
Trained at the Olympic training center for wrestling in Colorado Springs for the 1980 Olympics that eventually go boycotted.
I have Trained in the traditional Japanese Karate in both Shotokan & Gojo Ryu styles and am a 3rd degree.
I was the 1989 National Champion in Kumite (Sparring) in 1989 and runner up in 1988.
I was a member of the USKF National team for three years and participated in the World Championships in 1990.
I Trained twice at the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs with the US Karate team.
I would start your kids in a school with someone he/she knows so they don't feel so intimidated.
HDD
Ya, but can you take pics of smokin hot girls while kicking some guys ass?? :D :D

phebus
03-13-2005, 08:25 AM
If you want it for the discipline and self control, martial arts are fine. But, if you want it for personal protection, the shooting range is where I would take them. Times have changed, and you can't show up at a gunfight with a knife.

bigq
03-13-2005, 08:27 AM
HDD
Yea that's all great, but can you cook too? :D It is true that some schools are strict, that's what I meant by traditional.
When I first started one of the trainers besides Master Chong was a man named Mr. Wilson. One of the things I learned fast was showing respect. You never answer with ...yea or Ok.. it was always "YES SIR!". I had a problem with this and Mr. Wilson warned me once and the next time he was correcting a move I was executing I answered with a blah..yea.. and smack from out of nowhere I get smacked across the face in fron of everyone. Needless to say I still say "Yes sir " to answer most people to this day.

Infomaniac
03-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Tae Kwon Do
There are a lot of self discipline and memory activities.
Both of my kids went and my daughter finished all the way to black belt. Info Jr had a knee injury on his roller blades and did not finish.
I got them doing that because it is the same days every week. And did not have to chase games all over the state.

LakeRacer
03-13-2005, 08:49 AM
If you wait long enough, someone that knows what they're talking about will pipe in, I was waiting for you Glenn. I trained in Tae Kwon Do for a couple years in college, but never had the discipline to get past a brown belt (I'd have to start as a white now I imagine). I think for kids it is more about the instructors style then the art style, my nephews have both taken Tae Kwon Do as an after school program in Phoenix, but neither have learned anything useful. I am considering getting back into martial arts for the flexibility it inspires (I'd just look gay doing yoga). Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Do are both useable arts and seemed to me less complicated then many of the soft styles. Just wanted to add my .02
Chuck :)
Hey Chuck, you and I talked about this at the Red Room - parade of lights. :) I wonder if everyone on here understands hard and soft styles? For me...soft style. I'm too old and stiff for all of the acrobatic stuff.
Every style has their good and bad points. No one style is perfect. Look around.
I chose Wing Tsun kung fu. Soft style, very effective...but then, that's my .02 cents.

hot_diggity_dog
03-13-2005, 08:51 AM
If you want it for the discipline and self control, martial arts are fine. But, if you want it for personal protection, the shooting range is where I would take them. Times have changed, and you can't show up at a gunfight with a knife.
Funny you mention that! :mix:
A young student asked my instructor what was the best weapon in Martial arts; Bo, Tonfa, Sia, etc.
His response GUN
HDD

Excessive Force
03-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Anyone hear of Krav Maga?

mmered8299
03-13-2005, 09:09 AM
HDD- Have you ever herd of David Entsminger. He was a Colorado State Wrestling Camp during your times of whoop ass? His kid went to California State Campionships a couple of years ago out of Dana Point HS.

LHC30Victory
03-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Kempo is a good start. Whatever you do, find an "old School" Sensi (instructor). They do not endorse "belt factory" stuff and focus on the basics, discipline, form and history. The respect for the Art is evident in all old school masters.
If you want, I work with a man that taught back in the early 70's, knew/worked out with Lee, Norris, German and (OK dont laugh too hard) Elvis among others. He can answer any of your questions.

hot_diggity_dog
03-13-2005, 09:33 AM
HDD- Have you ever herd of David Entsminger. He was a Colorado State Wrestling Camp during your times of whoop ass? His kid went to California State Campionships a couple of years ago out of Dana Point HS.
Doesn't ring a bell!
But It's been awhile.
Man time sure flies.
HDD

racecar.hotshoe
03-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Doesn't ring a bell!
But It's been awhile.
Man time sure flies.
HDD
I have a couple of friends that use to do that stuff maybe youve heard of them.Dale Jacoby,Benny Urquidez?.......Anybody...?

Kilrtoy
03-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Again thanks everyone.....
HDD that is damn impressive... I rememeber when the games were cancelled. That sucks.....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Kilrtoy, look for a school that will not charge you to test, some schools charge you for the testin and belts, and if you don't compete in competitions that you have to pay for, you can't test. Many of the Tae Kwon Do schools out here test/give belts every month and so in addition to your monthly tuition fee, you have to cough up for testing and competitions every month.
In other words, if they promote your kid to get $$ and not because of merit, it becomes a joke in my opinion.
My daughter and son both practice Shorin-Ryu Karate and the tuition fee is the only cost. You may also want to ask about the lineage of the school.

hot_diggity_dog
03-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I have a couple of friends that use to do that stuff maybe youve heard of them.Dale Jacoby,Benny Urquidez?.......Anybody...?
Benny and Blinky where Kickboxing back in the 70's with Joe Louis, Norris and Bill Wallace.
I did a seminar with Bill Wallace in Oceanside in the Early 90's
HDD

boatslayer
03-13-2005, 02:49 PM
any martial arts program will be good for the kids , they will all teach the kids disaplen,respect , how to protect themself, and when martial arts is supposed to be used

moneypit
03-13-2005, 03:54 PM
If you wait long enough, someone that knows what they're talking about will pipe in :)
So all of us that piped in before you, wont take it personally. Just my .02 :D :D :D

CenCal
03-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Hey Kilroy TANG SOO DO was not mentioned it is a very good MA for kids. It's a Korean hard style. Chuck Norris is famous for using this type of MA. It teaches respect and discipline. A good teacher may be good with adults and do poorly with kids. Sit in on classes and see if your kid can have a free lesson to see if he likes the class and the instructor. I started out training in Shotakan, moved to stick and knife fighting and finally to Tang Soo Do. Was South Bay and Monterey Bay Karate Champ in the day ;) I'am a second degree black belt and taught kids three times a day, three days a week for three years. Loved every minute of it. Also see if the school pushes tournament training. This is not for all kids. I would recommend any MA as long as the instructor is good and you kid and your kid get what your looking for out of it. The kid has to ask themselves why do i want to take Karate? What do i want out of it. And most of all am i willing to do what it takes to get there? Training for self defense is different then training for tournments or a Black Belt. Either way it takes time and a commiment on everyones part. Good luck and i hope to meet you sometime. Bruce Lee trained peolpe out of a garage at one time:chi:

Kilrtoy
03-14-2005, 02:35 AM
Hey Kilroy TANG SOO DO was not mentioned it is a very good MA for kids. It's a Korean hard style. Chuck Norris is famous for using this type of MA. It teaches respect and discipline. A good teacher may be good with adults and do poorly with kids. Sit in on classes and see if your kid can have a free lesson to see if he likes the class and the instructor. I started out training in Shotakan, moved to stick and knife fighting and finally to Tang Soo Do. Was South Bay and Monterey Bay Karate Champ in the day ;) I'am a second degree black belt and taught kids three times a day, three days a week for three years. Loved every minute of it. Also see if the school pushes tournament training. This is not for all kids. I would recommend any MA as long as the instructor is good and you kid and your kid get what your looking for out of it. The kid has to ask themselves why do i want to take Karate? What do i want out of it. And most of all am i willing to do what it takes to get there? Training for self defense is different then training for tournments or a Black Belt. Either way it takes time and a commiment on everyones part. Good luck and i hope to meet you sometime. Bruce Lee trained peolpe out of a garage at one time:chi:
I like what i saw at the TANG SOO DO school.
The teacher is a teacher at the kids school. They really want to learn from her... But damn 150 a month is triple what every one else charges....
Thanks for the info...

XTRM22
03-14-2005, 06:17 AM
So all of us that piped in before you, wont take it personally. Just my .02 :D :D :D
I thought it was kinda obvious I was reffering to Glenn as the expert, not me! About everybody on this board knows roughly how an engine works, but when Infomainiac or one of the other pros answers, their opinion carries more weight (at least with me). Clear?
I really believe martial arts are great for kids, but it should be about the training, the improvement of self confidence, and the ability to better protect ones self, and not just testing for belts.
Chuck

Tyson Ross
03-14-2005, 07:36 AM
Your vette could use a wax job and maybe have them "Paint the fence" or "sand the flow"
:eek:

Tom Brown
04-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Send them to IN2-IN2MX's face kicking class.

scarabrick2
04-05-2005, 02:43 PM
I would think that judo(for kids) would be great I took it when I was young and it help balance,controll,confidence,self asteme. Judo doesnt have a lot, if any ,kicks or punches. Once they get older they will introduce them to chocks,kicks and punches all in a certain area. This is very usefull. Chocking someone the correct way and not hurting them ,just controlling them, is usefull for everyday use. Think about it how many times do you see a fight end up on the ground wheather it's kids or adults. I been taking ju-juitsu/judo for 7 yrs now and love teaching kids. Although I'm only a first degree black belt the joy of seeing kids learn and most of all HAVE FUN is very rewarding. I still remember teh early days of tournaments when I first got chocked out. Once you get chocked out you'll no what I mean.
Rick

CenCal
04-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Don't make me post that video from your younger days...You know the one with your fro and shit....lol
Burn that picture :hammer2:

bocco
04-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Hey Kilr,
I studied Tan Soo Do as mentioned above. It was through the local rec dept. The instructor was not in it for the money as he was paid almost nothing. What was important to him was having someplace to teach so that he could train and teach. Regadless of style you may want look for something like this. It will also save you a couple of bucks.
Gary

SOCALDETAIL1
04-05-2005, 03:18 PM
I train in Krav Maga (Israeli combat fighting) for the last 2 years, very hard core no kids train with us mostly law enforcement and bodyguards. It's very military. Kids would not be able to hang........

totenhosen
04-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Kilr. I treat many Ultimate Figters. Everyone one of them have suggested Judo or Jiu-Jitsu.
When it comes to real self defense, Karate teaches to many bad habits (they tell me). I have my son in Judo. Hes 7 and hes improved in athletic ability 10 fold.
One of my patients teaches Mixed martial arts fighting techniques here in Simi at a boxing gym. He has fought in Pride, King of the Cage and Mui Tai. I have been taking lessons from him for a while now. He teaches kids also. My sons Judo teacher is a 70 year old 10th degree black belt and he is amazing with kids.
Both are in Simi. Let me know if you are interested.
What he said! THese are the only ones worth anything!

Ultra5150
04-05-2005, 04:41 PM
I was going to recommend Krav Maga. It is a really aggressive form of self defense taught by the Isreali Defense Forces. They have a childrens class at the National Training Center in West LA.
They do not teach katas or various forms, they get right into teaching punches, elbows, knees, and hardcore cardio. Most people cannot fight hand to hand for more than a couple of minutes before they are winded. They teach you how to survive in bad situations. It is pretty kick ass.
Besides that, I would go for any mixed martial art class. Striking and ground game (bjj), your kid would definitley be prepared for anything that came at him.

CenCal
04-05-2005, 07:33 PM
We will burn it with the cigar's that we are going to smoke on the patio of our new homes :)
Looking for good cigars as we speak ;)

25Elmn8r
04-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Kilr, If you are looking into this for self Defense I would have to recommend Tae Kwon Do for Small kids (for the fact that it focuses on Kicking) mixed with Hapkido. The leg is the strongest muscle in the kids bodies and a well placed kick would be the only way for a small person to fend off an adult. The hapkido would be for manipulation techniques for close quarters defense.
Look for a school that focuses on discipline and tradition. Stay away from a Black Belt Factory!!! The goal is to learn the techniques and the right way to apply those techniques in any given situation, not a Colored belt.