PDA

View Full Version : Who's buying mufflers?

cc322
03-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Was just curious how many people are going to br putting mufflers on there boats even when the exhaust tips exit below the swim step and is under or at the water line?

RP1
03-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Was just curious how many people are going to br putting mufflers on there boats even when the exhaust tips exit below the swim step and is under or at the water line?
I was told that it's not an issue if the exhaust is under the water at idle... I hope this is true.

Indiansprings
03-12-2005, 08:33 PM
I installed my Gibson Bullets and took it out to Lake Pleasent today. Much lower db levels. Still sounds good, too.

cc322
03-12-2005, 10:31 PM
I was told that it's not an issue if the exhaust is under the water at idle... I hope this is true.

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 10:33 PM
People with inboards

Havasu_Dreamin
03-13-2005, 10:10 AM
People need to remember that in additoon to the at idle test there is a drive by test. Personally, I doubt any I/O boat unmuffled would pass the drive by test. In my experience, if the exhaust exits below the waterline at idle, you'll be ok. Additionally, I suspect the idel test is the one, if any, that will be more stringently/actively enforced.

AirtimeLavey
03-13-2005, 12:16 PM
People need to remember that in additoon to the at idle test there is a drive by test. Personally, I doubt any I/O boat unmuffled would pass the drive by test. In my experience, if the exhaust exits below the waterline at idle, you'll be ok. Additionally, I suspect the idel test is the one, if any, that will be more stringently/actively enforced.
I'm thinkin this as well, but just one ticket is almost half the cost of 'em, so just gonna do it and avoid the worry and the hassle of it ever happening....hoping to decide which ones in the next wk. or two.

LHC30Victory
03-13-2005, 12:28 PM
We put the Rex muffs on and are happy with the look, sound and performance. Although the GGI's (or whatever they are) and maybe the HPI's are good muffs, they are too wide for a twin app. like mine.
Its done and over - now to worry about tabs, steering and sounds !

Not So Fast
03-13-2005, 03:57 PM
It was soooo nice in Havasu today that we went down to the channel and parked our big white butts on a park bench (would have taken the boat but not ready). Quite a few boats out also, as we sat there I could hear what I believe was an older Schiada Day Cruizer enter the channel. It was blown with a terrible surge at idle and very loud, so much so I could hear him after the customary turn around under the bridge and all the way back to the bay. I told my wife that this is the kind of boat noise they will probably cite upon hearing it because it was loud (didnt bother me), well I watched as they went right past LHPD's patrol boat TWICE. The good news-- the patrol boat didnt look at him once. I know that this is not proof one way or the other on the noise situation but it's good to see!!!!!! There were plenty of un-mufflered boats. they want to do something to improve the lake, STOP THE OIL SMOKING PWC from launching or cite them!! I WILL STILL WAIT AND SEE. NSF

djunkie
03-13-2005, 03:58 PM

Essex502
03-14-2005, 07:32 AM
I think that all of those boats that have thru transom exhaust that exits under water at idle will be okay. Ours measured 84 dB(A) at idle and has never been questioned when launched or idling. This is the test that most often will be done to enforce compliance to noise laws. Every state also has a driveby test of some sort. This is where those unmuffled boats with underwater exhaust will have a problem. Our boat is load when on plane and the exhaust is then above water. What I believe, though, is few if any boaters will be stopped and tested. The proper procedure for doing a legal driveby test is beyond the scope of most, if not all, L.E. That doesn't mean that those of you with over the transom exhaust are safe from a driveby test. If you are load and the patrol boat stops you you will probably be cited if unmuffled.