PDA

View Full Version : Idling in the channel

slowinhavasu
03-13-2005, 06:43 PM
WTF....if your battery is low or dead go for a cruise.....we had to listen to this guy three or four times today start and fast idle his Chetah for five to ten minutes at a time. It's one thing when your cruising through the channel but when your transom is facing the other side of the channel, it's annoying as all hell.....
Heres a hint, if you have a BAD battery get a jump when you get ready to leave.....Idling the freekin thing up and down every fifteen minutes is RUDE.... :cry:
For the record it's also the law, you are only supposed to idle for one minute in the channel when parked, then shut her down or move on....
OK I feel better now...

Bre
03-13-2005, 06:46 PM
I'd feel a lot better if I was there with you today :D

Kilrtoy
03-13-2005, 06:55 PM
How about buy a good battery.....

cc322
03-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Or how about buy another battery so you have duals. We were in the channel last year and some asshole kept turning on his boat and ideling then the sheriff caught him and told him no ideling so he turned it off, as soon as the sheriff got a little ways away he started it back up, It took everything to stop me from saying something to him as we sat there and breathed this guys fumes :mad:

slowinhavasu
03-13-2005, 07:19 PM
I'd feel a lot better if I was there with you today :D
Sooon, I'm sure.......IT was nice but the boats not ready yet, so we went down late and just hung out in the sand.....You know were spoiled when that's the biggest bitch I can come up with...lol

hot_diggity_dog
03-13-2005, 07:20 PM
WTF....if your battery is low or dead go for a cruise.....we had to listen to this guy three or four times today start and fast idle his Chetah for five to ten minutes at a time. It's one thing when your cruising through the channel but when your transom is facing the other side of the channel, it's annoying as all hell.....
Heres a hint, if you have a BAD battery get a jump when you get ready to leave.....Idling the freekin thing up and down every fifteen minutes is RUDE.... :cry:
For the record it's also the law, you are only supposed to idle for one minute in the channel when parked, then shut her down or move on....
OK I feel better now...
Idling your boat won't charge your batteries! :hammer2: :hammer2:
When will these people learn :frown: :hammer2:
HDD

welk2party
03-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Idling does not charge your batter anyway... :hammer2:

slowinhavasu
03-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Or how about buy another battery so you have duals. We were in the channel last year and some asshole kept turning on his boat and ideling then the sheriff caught him and told him no ideling so he turned it off, as soon as the sheriff got a little ways away he started it back up, It took everything to stop me from saying something to him as we sat there and breathed this guys fumes :mad:
You know age has a funny way of changing my actions. In my twenties I would have jumped up on his boat and shut it down for him, and faced him.......now I just get pissed and can't figure out how people can be so Fu**in stupid.... :hammerhea

Sweet Addiction
03-13-2005, 07:25 PM
HDD
Thats right, you actually kill your battery or Batteries more when starting and it takes that much longer to charge them up. So that would be pointless. Just my 02.
Jared.

DEEZ NUTTS
03-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Jump Box. Never leave without it and never need it except for that one time I left it at home.

Kilrtoy
03-13-2005, 07:27 PM
HDD
Ok at what point do your batteries begin to recharge

racecar.hotshoe
03-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Ok at what point do your batteries begin to recharge
you must bring the rpm to about 2000 to 3000 to start the charge then you can bring the idle back down and keep charging. :coffeycup :D

Kilrtoy
03-13-2005, 07:35 PM
you must bring the rpm to about 2000 to 3000 to start the charge then you can bring the idle back down and keep charging. :coffeycup :D
like my old kawi.. It only charged above 3000 RPM's.....

racecar.hotshoe
03-13-2005, 07:36 PM
like my old kawi.. It only charged above 3000 RPM's.....
Well sort of............ :D

TCHB
03-13-2005, 08:02 PM
These people are stupid!!!!!!!! How many times do people have to be told about idling the boats and CO poision! Yes the noise is also problem!

CornWater
03-13-2005, 08:11 PM
What??? this confuses me..never heard this before..are you saying you can rev to 2000, start charging, then go back to idle and keep charging???

racecar.hotshoe
03-13-2005, 08:16 PM
What??? this confuses me..never heard this before..are you saying you can rev to 2000, start charging, then go back to idle and keep charging???
All I am saying is that some charging systems will not charge untill you bring up the RPM's.......Case and point my superlate stockcar will not start charging untill I hit 3500 RPM It depends on the dieod(Spelling?)

77charger
03-13-2005, 08:31 PM
basically the alternator doesnt get started til it hits a certain rpm depending on the exciter wire(the one thatjuices the alternator)mine takes a rev to get it started then it will charge.
As for idling to charge i have two batts when my stereo goes dead i shut it off or switch batts then keep the sound low for a while then take a cruise to recharge

racecar.hotshoe
03-13-2005, 08:41 PM
basically the alternator doesnt get started til it hits a certain rpm depending on the exciter wire(the one thatjuices the alternator)mine takes a rev to get it started then it will charge.
As for idling to charge i have two batts when my stereo goes dead i shut it off or switch batts then keep the sound low for a while then take a cruise to recharge
Well said............

Dr. Eagle
03-13-2005, 08:47 PM
How about buy a good battery.....
Yeah, havasu has a Wal Mart doesn't it?? :wink:

HocusPocus
03-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah, havasu has a Wal Mart doesn't it??
yep.. there is also an autopart store within walking distance of the channel. :)

Essex502
03-14-2005, 06:57 AM
We had the same thing happen in Steamboat last year. We were beached and had been there all day. One of our friends left in their boat an this a$$hole in a large twin engined boat beachs in our friends vacated spot. Proceeds to start pulling out speakers attached to poles to put into holes in his deck. Oh, $hit...here it comes...next he pulls out this HUGE inflatable play "island" for his kids. He fires up BOTH motors and idles for about 20 minutes to "run my inflator" so my batteries won't go dead. This is about 10 feet from us and the rest of a crowded beach. The fumes spewing from his transom were overpowering...we left along with 3 or 4 other boats.
These A$$holes never learn.

mtndewdrops
03-14-2005, 07:06 AM
We had the same thing happen in Steamboat last year. We were beached and had been there all day. One of our friends left in their boat an this a$$hole in a large twin engined boat beachs in our friends vacated spot. Proceeds to start pulling out speakers attached to poles to put into holes in his deck. Oh, $hit...here it comes...next he pulls out this HUGE inflatable play "island" for his kids. He fires up BOTH motors and idles for about 20 minutes to "run my inflator" so my batteries won't go dead. This is about 10 feet from us and the rest of a crowded beach. The fumes spewing from his transom were overpowering...we left along with 3 or 4 other boats.
These A$$holes never learn.
What a joke, too bad there is one in every crowd. :devil:

phuggit
03-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Saw the same thing on Saturday in the channel. Havasu PD told him to shut it down, which he did. About five minutes after the cop left, the guy fired his boat back up. :notam: