PDA

View Full Version : Feel Like Flying?

burtandnancy
12-28-2005, 03:29 PM
It seems that nearly every day for the past two weeks there has been some kind of "incedent" regarding airplanes, both commercial and private. Seems like all kind of landing gear, cargo door, flat tire, windshield, pressurization and wings falling off problem. Its kind of killed the joy of travel for me. Is it bad karma or what...

Jbb
12-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Nope......Its called ...deregulation......and maintenance outsourcing...and its gonna get worse...
They beat the snot out of the "evil greedy unions"......and now... Paco....and his band of caballeros...er I mean qualified mechanics..down in Mexico and Guatemala.....are doing the maintenance checks on aircraft....systems redundancy only goes so far......oh well....life's a crapshoot...right?

burtandnancy
12-28-2005, 03:56 PM
jbb. I think you are partially correct, but there are a lot of very unusual things going on that you can't blame on Paco or Jose. There even seems to be something called "pilot error". But my point is, there has been an excessive amount of bad news lately regarding flying (or crashing in some cases)

Forkin' Crazy
12-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Nope......Its called ...deregulation......and maintenance outsourcing...and its gonna get worse...
They beat the snot out of the "evil greedy unions"......and now... Paco....and his band of caballeros...er I mean qualified mechanics..down in Mexico and Guatemala.....are doing the maintenance checks on aircraft....systems redundancy only goes so far......oh well....life's a crapshoot...right?
I knew there was some reason I hated flying commercial.... :)
Forkin' (would rather drive then fly) Crazy. :boxed:

burtandnancy
12-28-2005, 04:06 PM
As we speak, another incedent with an Alaskan flight from Seattle to Burbank. A baggage handler dinged the plane, the body opened up and pressure was lost very quickly. Scared the $hit out of everyone. They landed safely where everyone changed their fruit of the looms. And it goes on...

SMFRiverRat
12-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Not at my Airline.

Mardonzi
12-28-2005, 04:24 PM
As we speak, another incedent with an Alaskan flight from Seattle to Burbank. A baggage handler dinged the plane, the body opened up and pressure was lost very quickly. Scared the $hit out of everyone. They landed safely where everyone changed their fruit of the looms. And it goes on...
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20051228132609990006&ncid=NWS00010000000001
Here's the link to the story,,, I especially like the statement "The worker WAS employed by Menzies Aviation.
As JBB put it,, outsourcing to third world countries (like Great Britain) will be the downfall of commercial aviation maintainence....

SMFRiverRat
12-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Baggage handlers and mechanics are two different things. Like I said, my company does not outsource either of them.

Mardonzi
12-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Baggage handlers and mechanics are two different things. Like I said, my company does not outsource either of them.
Most majors that I know of don't outsource the important stuff,,,
Now the Ground crews are another story. Back in the Dark Ages, I used to work for a company that did all of Eastern's ground service in Salt Lake. I think one of the only requirements for them was that they walked upright and could pass a drug screen. Not exactly a Mensa crowd,,,,

Sleek-Jet
12-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Oh come on Brian, don't you know that the unions were all about fleecing the airlines and stock holders... going third world on maint helps the dividends... deregulation brought jet aviation to the masses... now you can fly cost to cost for 100.00... here's your bag of peanuts... oh, and stand up for a second... we're going to shove another row of seats in here to help the load factor...

Jbb
12-29-2005, 01:48 AM
Oh come on Brian, don't you know that the unions were all about fleecing the airlines and stock holders... going third world on maint helps the dividends... deregulation brought jet aviation to the masses... now you can fly cost to cost for 100.00... here's your bag of peanuts... oh, and stand up for a second... we're going to shove another row of seats in here to help the load factor...
My thoughts...exactly.... :p

INSman
12-29-2005, 08:21 AM
How much $$$ can they be saving on the outsourcing, as my wifes firends husband works for the airlines as a mechanic and don't make squat !!??!! :220v:

DaveA
01-01-2006, 06:26 PM
How much $$$ can they be saving on the outsourcing, as my wifes firends husband works for the airlines as a mechanic and don't make squat !!??!! :220v:
IIRC, the US Dept of Labor does NOT classify a Federally licensed airframe & powerplant mechanic as Skilled Labor.
How 'bout dat? True?
DaveA

steelcomp
01-01-2006, 06:39 PM
IIRC, the US Dept of Labor does NOT classify a Federally licensed airframe & powerplant mechanic as Skilled Labor.
How 'bout dat? True?
DaveA
.Yeah, true, but I know a few A&P's, and an IA or two that aren't very skilled, either. :rolleyes: