PDA

View Full Version : What's next for GM's full size SUVs?

MagicMtnDan
03-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Chevrolet's new Tahoe is due as a 2007 model, but here's a first peek.
Not much is known about the major overall features of the GMT800 SUVs (which, with the revamped models, will be known as the GMT900 platform), but a hybrid version is expected to be eventually added to the lineup.
The new Tahoe goes on sale in the fall of 2006.
Still no word on whether it's Duramax's and Allisons for everybody but the thinking is that GM will offer their turbo diesels and Allison trannys in all their fullsize SUVs (Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans, Avalanches).
http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/9309_image.jpg

UnionJack
03-14-2005, 08:09 AM
Thats really nice

riverbound
03-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Not much is known about the major overall features of the GMT800 SUVs (which, with the revamped models, will be known as the GMT900 platform), but a hybrid version is expected to be eventually added to the lineup.
Still no word on whether it's Duramax's and Allisons for everybody but the thinking is that GM will offer their turbo diesels and Allison trannys in all their fullsize SUVs (Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans, Avalanches).
Dont reall like the body style, but a dmax and an allison in a tahoe would be awesome. Jay? is there any truth to this? Am I going to be trading in my tahoe?

bunny 166
03-14-2005, 08:10 AM
A diesel Suburban is right up my alley.....2007 is not coming soon enough! :hammer2: :hammer2:

cjordan
03-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Hopefully these rumors are correct about the Dmax and burb. I've heard this many times in the past and my buddy who is with GM has told me that until the Burb can go on an HD based frame the Dmax/Allison simply won't fit. Maybe they are going to change over, BUT the HD's are from an entirely different assembly line and plant.......
I'll see if he's heard anything next time I chat with em.

charlyox
03-14-2005, 08:48 AM
It makes so much sense. The people want a duramax in a burb

mtndewdrops
03-14-2005, 09:00 AM
It looks sooooo BLUE OVAL :frown: to me.

cdog
03-14-2005, 09:10 AM
GM's really F'in the dog on this one. The duramax fits, just needs a body lift like on the HD trucks. Plus the running boards hides the frame. They should of atleast made them avaliable on the 4x4 model. I'm selling my 03 sub for a truck with the duramax. Once you've driven the 8.1 with the allison you'll be dissapointed with the LE80 trans. And to think, GM's pondering why their sale's are down.

bigkatboat
03-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Look at all of the 04/05 Subs sitting at the dealers. Most are 4X2's and have the (gutless) 5.3 motor, GM won't sell a 4X2 with the 6.0 motor. My wife and I have been looking for more than 3 months. I didn't want 4X4, nor the sun roof, we finally made a compromise and bought an Escalade ESV. I'm very happy with it, I don't intend to tow with it, but it seems to have enough power. "She says", that I (me) can get a new dually at the end of this year. I will. While looking and inquring, I too heard about the (much asked for) Suburban with the Duramax/ Allison, and was told "it is on the way". Two dealers offered to order one for us. Think I'd ever get it?

cdog
03-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Look at all of the 04/05 Subs sitting at the dealers. Most are 4X2's and have the (gutless) 5.3 motor, GM won't sell a 4X2 with the 6.0 motor. My wife and I have been looking for more than 3 months. I didn't want 4X4, nor the sun roof, we finally made a compromise and bought an Escalade ESV. I'm very happy with it, I don't intend to tow with it, but it seems to have enough power. "She says", that I (me) can get a new dually at the end of this year. I will. While looking and inquring, I too heard about the (much asked for) Suburban with the Duramax/ Allison, and was told "it is on the way". Two dealers offered to order one for us. Think I'd ever get it?
Wow. I'm suprised they even offered it. I've been asking for awhile and they all say "don't know". Your probably better off with the truck. It's hard to trust the first year of anything. Especially after spending 46k.

bigkatboat
03-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Yes, I know the ESV has 'awd' all of the time. It also has a 48/50K warranty, plus we went for the 100K. I can still lower it, and no leaky sunroof. It has a really nice ride, and that's all we wanted. Go shopping in 'Vegas', "load'r-up" and cruise back to the river.

cdog
03-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Are the sun roof's on the gm trucks and suv's bad or leaky? I was looking at a new truck with one. Don't need it, but it adds to the cool factor.

cdog
03-14-2005, 09:28 AM
That pic looks like the mini tahoe. Not sure what they're called.

CJ
03-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Are the sun roof's on the gm trucks and suv's bad or leaky? I was looking at a new truck with one. Don't need it, but it adds to the cool factor.
My sunroof withstood the rain. Never a drop.

cdog
03-14-2005, 09:35 AM
My sunroof withstood the rain. Never a drop.
So how's the new boat?

Freak
03-14-2005, 09:54 AM
What's next for GM's full size SUVs?
The whole truck segment of the auto industry get seriously down sized cause the majority cannot fill up the tank with gas. LOL..,..

cdog
03-14-2005, 10:00 AM
What's next for GM's full size SUVs?
The whole truck segment of the auto industry get seriously down sized cause the majority cannot fill up the tank with gas. LOL..,..
Very true. Who ever thought a loaded truck would be 50k. :supp:
They're really gettin us in the rear if you ask me.

caroftheweek
03-14-2005, 11:03 AM
The sunroof on the silverados for mid-'05 is not what i had anticipated. While at the LA autoshow, Chevy had a red crew cab with a sunroof and it was the type that lifts and retracts above the roof. :notam: :notam: It is not the pocket type that retracts into the headliner. very depressing. The opening was small and the glass retrating above the roof looks like shiz. On my new truck, I think i will just have an aftermarket unit installed. A buddy of mine has one in his '05 crew and it retracts into the headliner and he has the factory DVD player. Looks super clean and no leaks so far.
Ryan

UnionJack
03-14-2005, 11:06 AM
A diesel Suburban is right up my alley.....2007 is not coming soon enough! :hammer2: :hammer2:
There is a guy who sells a conversion in CO, check him out on ebay

CJ
03-14-2005, 03:11 PM
So how's the new boat?
Amazing! Should be bringing it home for some April ocean running, oh and muffler installin'! And will be in Havasu for a few weekends of April. Any plans, C?

cdog
03-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Amazing! Should be bringing it home for some April ocean running, oh and muffler installin'! And will be in Havasu for a few weekends of April. Any plans, C?
We'll be out there at the end of this month for a buddie's birthday. I guess it's easter weekend. Will you guy's be out there that weekend?

Kilrtoy
03-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Wow. I'm suprised they even offered it. I've been asking for awhile and they all say "don't know". Your probably better off with the truck. It's hard to trust the first year of anything. Especially after spending 46k.
Im learning that now :umm:

RiverOtter
03-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Looks like an Equinox :notam:
http://www.chevrolet.com/i/pic/equinox/model_home.jpg

HOSS
03-15-2005, 06:28 AM
Classic Chevy design. Generic crap! Can`t they come up with anything? Do they really just believe the American populous is that dull? Guess they send their greatest designs now to China which just happens to now be their bread and butter. Screw GM. They got their bread from the US market through the 90`s and now left them.

cdog
03-15-2005, 09:21 AM
I'd bet money that car in the pic is not a tahoe or sub. I looks just like some mini suv they have out now. I agree with hoss, the big two have all let us down from jobs to quality. Still can't bear to buy jap crap though. At least ford and chevy's are assembled in the US.

Freak
03-15-2005, 09:35 AM
I thought Mexico and Canada?

cdog
03-15-2005, 10:05 AM
My tahoe and sub was made in texas. Or atleast that's what the sticker says.
I think alot of the sub assembly stuff comes from mexico and over seas. Most of GM's engine assembly plants are now in canada and north US. I think they learned their lesson from the 80's with mexican's "good enough" quality policy's.

HOSS
03-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Mexico`s quality control is non existent. Stick a cactus up their pipe. :mad:

Dr. Eagle
03-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Looks like an Equinox :notam:
http://www.chevrolet.com/i/pic/equinox/model_home.jpg
On Steroids......

RiverOtter
03-15-2005, 04:30 PM
On Steroids......
agreed, but still. I thought the new Burbs were gonna look more like a Hummer.