PDA

View Full Version : Molly Hatchet Lead Singer Dead

JustMVG
03-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Molly Hatchet Lead Singer Dies at 53
DAVIE, Fla. (AP) - Danny Joe Brown, the lead singer of the Southern rock band Molly Hatchet, died of complications from diabetes, his family said Monday. He was 53.
Brown died Thursday at his home in Davie, a suburb of Fort Lauderdale, his sister Lyndia Brown said.
``He had been in the hospital for about four weeks before he died, and he wanted to come home and he was home for 30 minutes when he died,'' Lyndia Brown told The Associated Press. ``He was surrounded by his children and his wife.''
In 1975, the Jacksonville native joined Molly Hatchet, named after a Southern prostitute who allegedly beheaded and mutilated her clients. Brown was frontman for its self-titled album in 1978, which went platinum. In 1979 the next album, ``Flirtin' With Disaster,'' sold over 2 million copies.
Brown left the band in the early 1980s because of his diabetes.
After creating his own group, the Danny Joe Brown Band, he rejoined Molly Hatchet in 1982 to participate in the album ``No Guts ... No Glory.'' The was album had limited success and the group eventually disbanded.
Molly Hatchet reunited and toured in 1996 for release of the album ``Devil's Canyon.''
Brown ended his career after a stroke in 1998, according to reports.
``Danny was way more than a singer for a rock 'n' roll band. He was a great brother, a wonderful son,'' Lyndia said. ``He is going to be missed terribly by everybody.''
I really enjoyed this band , although many said they were just made up to try and replace the void left by the Lynrd Skynrd plane crash, they made some great music and Danny had a voice that will be remembered forever.
Godspeed Danny.

Forkin' Crazy
03-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Rest in peace. :frown:
That was a killer band!

Craig
03-15-2005, 04:18 AM
:( Always like Fall of the Peacemaker. Saw Molley Hatchet with Pat Travers years ago in a little theatre here in Phoenix. Only downside was they thought they were still playing large venues. Someone forgot to tell the sound guy, my ears rang for days :D

RiverOtter
03-15-2005, 05:13 AM
Sorry to hear that, I'll have to crank up some of those tracks you sent me Mikey ;)

JetBoatRich
03-15-2005, 05:57 AM
R.I.P. at such a young age :devil:
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Venue/9552/molly_hatchet/images/flirt.gif

Delta Jets
03-15-2005, 06:01 AM
I hate that . I saw them in Cleveland,Ms. in 78 at the Walter Sillars building after they finished and came back for the encore they played a whole set of Skynard Music. The Best Show i have seen

HOSS
03-15-2005, 06:05 AM
Damn. One of my favorite groups. Sorry to hear that.

Dr. Eagle
03-15-2005, 06:39 AM
Bummer... I liked that band.
He was always flirting with disaster though... :frown:

PowellScooter
03-15-2005, 07:05 AM
They played here at the Windy Mesa Bar around 10 yrs ago, great show but Danny Joe was obviously suffering from something (drug,drink or disease or a combo of the 3) The new members and crew were really livin the rock star lifestyle as well. Im happy to report that I was able to facilitate some of them finding the "type" of girls they were looking for. In all it was a fun evening for us all :devil:

MagicMtnDan
03-15-2005, 07:11 AM
Sad ending to a great band. Their song "Dreams I'll Never See" is probably their best song although "Flirtin' With Disaster" is close.
Sorry to hear about Danny's death.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000DGRAC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

JustMVG
03-15-2005, 10:46 AM
Sad ending to a great band. Their song "Dreams I'll Never See" is probably their best song although "Flirtin' With Disaster" is close.
Sorry to hear about Danny's death.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000DGRAC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
I'll second that MMD, Dreams I'll Never See is my all time favorite with Beatin the Odds a close second, god those were some great concerts.... RIP Danny

HOSS
03-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Satisfied Man is the best song.

Kegel King
03-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Molly who????????????