PDA

View Full Version : My dog had a seizure last night

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
04-24-2006, 08:20 AM
My wife and I woke up around 2 am to our dog trying to throw up. We tried to move him outside but he wasn't budging. He threw up on the floor, then just fell over and went into a seizure for about a minute. He tensed up and was hard as a rock, was foaming at the mouth, and was sort of kicking his legs. It is the second one he has had with the first one happening well over a year ago.
Does anyone have any ideas about this? We are waiting to hear back from the vet but i thought i'd throw out to you all. It really scared the shiat out of me. I thought he was going to die right there.

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-24-2006, 08:24 AM
I don't know much about dogs and all that. But I am very sorry to hear about that happening. I can't imagine how you both felt while just watching and not knowing what to do for the poor little guy.
I'm sure he will be fine.
From a thread a while back I think someone had mentioned all dogs have seizers and most of the time we don't know it. But don't " " me on it.

riverbound
04-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Our Golden had seizures...there was nothing we could do or the vet could do. he had them for about 4-5 years before we finally had put him down. he was 15 yrs old when we finally had to do it :(
It was scarey and sad to sit there and be able to do nothing for him. Sometimes he would go months without having one and then he would have a couple.
Good luck and hopfully the vet figures it out for you.

ROZ
04-24-2006, 08:32 AM
My mother had a Queensland that had seizures on a regular basis. It was a really cool dog, but he was put under once the phenobarbitol(sp) reached dosses that would put a human under and mom didn't want him to die of painful liver disease from the drugs.. He lived for about 6 years on meds... My mother loved that dog sooo much. She spent THOUSANDS over the years to try to get the granmaul(sp) seizures under control...
I hope the vet can help you manage them. :)

CBadDad
04-24-2006, 08:34 AM
I know it's not all that uncommon, especially in older dogs. Sometimes it's as simple as their blood sugar gets too low or that they get over heated or it can be as bad as a brain tumor. It's hard to say much more with the limited info provided (like what breed and what kind of day did he/she have), but it doesn't really matter because your Vet will do a bunch of test and give you a more conclusive answer anyways. Good luck.

Schiada76
04-24-2006, 08:39 AM
A few months after we firast got the dog I found her in the kitchen puking and put her outside. She staggered a few feet, collapsed, eyes fixed, crapping and tongue hanging out on the ground. I thought for sure she was dead but rushed her to the vet. Vet said it was a bug bite/sting or something she ate. Gave her an epi shot and she was fine. We carry syringes with us now just in case.
Maybe it was an allergic reaction for your dog too?

Run_em_Hard
04-24-2006, 08:41 AM
My old lady is a vet tech. She said that there is all sorts of things that can cause that. Old age, and things just not going right. Phenobarbitol is a very common drug that is used for this. It is dirt cheap too.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
04-24-2006, 09:00 AM
A few months after we firast got the dog I found her in the kitchen puking and put her outside. She staggered a few feet, collapsed, eyes fixed, crapping and tongue hanging out on the ground. I thought for sure she was dead but rushed her to the vet. Vet said it was a bug bite/sting or something she ate. Gave her an epi shot and she was fine. We carry syringes with us now just in case.
Maybe it was an allergic reaction for your dog too?
I am hoping that is it. I caught him eating something out of the garbage yesterday afternoon.

HM
04-24-2006, 09:03 AM
I had a dog I got from the pound that did that for the first few weeks I had him. Vet had thought he had Parvo, but turned out he just had some kind of cold as it cleared up and never came back.
And look at that...I posted in a dog thread and didn't even mention you know who. Don't get used to it.

Cole Trickle
04-24-2006, 09:05 AM
My sisters Yorkie had this happen a couple weeks back.
It ended up being something he ate?
The seizure was the bodys way of fighting off the problem.

phebus
04-24-2006, 09:09 AM
If the dog was heaving real hard, and trying to throw up before it finally did, it may have vagaled out (dropped it's blood pressure), and seized.
Since the seizure was post throwing up, I would keep an eye on the dog, make sure it doesn't get into anything it shouldn't eat, and I bet it won't have further episodes.

MKEELINE
04-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Snail bait can cause this.

Rexone
04-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Check this thread out. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29662)

topless
04-24-2006, 09:35 AM
I have a dog with epilepsy and after one seizure, she stroked out. I thought I was going to have to put her to sleep because all she would do is walk in circles and pee on herself. after that. She is back to normal now and hasn't had a seizure since. This was over a year ago. Don't give up.

78Eliminator
04-24-2006, 09:58 AM
I adopted a dog a few years back, his name was Ziggy. He was a chihuahua. Shortly after I adopted him he had a seizure. I did some research and found that some dogs get them, and there isn't much you can do about it. He ended up having one about once a month. Then, about two years later he went a couple months without having one. On a Saturday I was working in the garage, and Ziggy was laying there watching me work. A few minutes later, he got up and went into the house. Then I heard my girlfriend screaming and I ran inside. Ziggy was having a seizure, but it was a lot different than the ones he had before; it was violent and I could feel a "clicking" inside of him as I held him. He was stretched out hard as a rock and looked like he was in excruciating pain. I tried to stabilize him, and kept him from hitting himself on our hardwood floors. The seizure lasted 15 minutes. Then, he stretched out really hard with his front legs pointed forward, gave a deep breath and fell limp into my arms. It broke my heart; he was the best dog I have ever had.

Bolt On's
04-24-2006, 10:34 AM
My wife and I woke up around 2 am to our dog trying to throw up. We tried to move him outside but he wasn't budging. He threw up on the floor, then just fell over and went into a seizure for about a minute. He tensed up and was hard as a rock, was foaming at the mouth, and was sort of kicking his legs. It is the second one he has had with the first one happening well over a year ago.
Does anyone have any ideas about this? We are waiting to hear back from the vet but i thought i'd throw out to you all. It really scared the shiat out of me. I thought he was going to die right there.
Had a cat with the same thing -- he was older. He was on phenobarb 2 x's a day and I kept valum (I used to do Hospice with kids) a liquid rectal form available to give during the seizure. I let it go way to lon though -- coz it was to hard for us to put him down. Did CPR on him twice and my hubby did once.. They offered a CT -- but opted not to do coz he was older 17 yrs - and I knew he could not go thru surgery or a bunch of meds. So i just treated the symptoms and kept him as comfy as possible. I think he may hav had a brain tumor or something.