PDA

View Full Version : Black Mold... and the turds in my pocket

moneypit
03-15-2005, 02:31 PM
I found out today that I have ever relentless black mold. I have been getting sick about every two weeks and I didnt know why. Well my bedroom bathrooms (which sits over my 3rd garage) toilet let loose today and drenched the garage. Turns out that its a "slow leak" that finally burst. Insurance company came out and peeled back the ceiling in the garage. Black Mold!!!! They saw that stuff... closed up the hole and scrammed. They said the turd's in my pocket and left it up to me...
Now I have to replace my entire floor/carpet, shower and every other sticking piece of my room. Plus the garage ceiling. They say that there is no insurance that covers MOLD. They also state they dont cover "slow leaks" only "bursts".
I have figured out why i have been getting sicker lately. Anybody deal with this stuff?

LHC30Victory
03-15-2005, 02:40 PM
cut it all out then torch the remains! That stuff is really bad.
Seriously, if you remove all of the material it's growing on you should be ok. The trick is to get it all.

gnarley
03-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Sorry to hear that, and now that you reported it and they call it a claim any Insurance company will charge you more just because you reported it or had questions, even if they don't pay out.
Sorry, and good luck

MRS FLYIN VEE
03-15-2005, 02:56 PM
I agree. get ahold of Mandelon.. I don't know if he deals with it but I remember he had some great advise for someone. ;)

moneypit
03-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks guys. I will get a hold of Mandelon..

Waist Deep
03-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Don't disturb the mold. Fix the leak and leave the rest. Mold becomes dormant as long as theres no water for it to feed on. If you remove it, clean the area with a 10% bleach solution and cover that crap up. If you don't rip it out, you can also paint it with a specialized paint that will seal the area off.

Waist Deep
03-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Secondly, if you rip it out, build yourself a containment area, otherwise that crap will float throughout the surrounding area. Wear a good respirator and Tyvek suit and dispose of.

Magic34
03-15-2005, 03:22 PM
My dad had this happen to one of his houses in Vegas. Once the spores get in the house, the spores spread everywhere and everything has to be cleaned a special way that is rather expensive.
Long story short, but his nieghbor left the hose to the pool on for over 24 hours and while he was out of town, it flodded his living room and family room. It has happened twice, both times while he was out of town for more than a week.
The insurance company, neither his or the neighbors will do anything and he has to go after the neighbor legally. The house has been sitting empty for 3 years now and trial is coming up in a few months.
From what I understand, anything of cloth material can hold in spores and spread if not treated. My dad had to throw away a 2 day old couch because of this problem. Everything that is destoryed/thrown away has to go to an official dump site where the stuff is allowed, not your everyday landfill, and then buried. All other surfaces have to be treated and the house now has to be gutted and rebuilt from what he has been told by multiple companies.
He paid about $15k in cleaning the furniture(without cloth) to move into his new house. Many things had to be thrown away.
I wouldn't make too big of a fuss out of it. You don't want your house marked as a mold house, so do a good fix on it and try to make it right without making it cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

Sherpa
03-15-2005, 03:59 PM
ahhh,
a home is the "true" moneypit.....
sorry to hear about your troubles, but one thing I do know, don't put in a
claim on insurance about all this, cause if you do, they just might drop you,
plus, if you try and sell that place, it becomes known that the place had
mold, and some/most banks won't make a loan for a new buyer unless there
was one of those "special-mold/hazmat" companies that did all the repairs,
and certified the house was "clean"..........
--Sherpa

Red Eye
03-15-2005, 04:01 PM
I found out today that I have ever relentless black mold. I have been getting sick about every two weeks and I didnt know why. Well my bedroom bathrooms (which sits over my 3rd garage) toilet let loose today and drenched the garage. Turns out that its a "slow leak" that finally burst. Insurance company came out and peeled back the ceiling in the garage. Black Mold!!!! They saw that stuff... closed up the hole and scrammed. They said the turd's in my pocket and left it up to me...
Now I have to replace my entire floor/carpet, shower and every other sticking piece of my room. Plus the garage ceiling. They say that there is no insurance that covers MOLD. They also state they dont cover "slow leaks" only "bursts".
I have figured out why i have been getting sicker lately. Anybody deal with this stuff?
What kind of symptoms were you having w/ being sick?

moneypit
03-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Don't disturb the mold. Fix the leak and leave the rest. Mold becomes dormant as long as theres no water for it to feed on. If you remove it, clean the area with a 10% bleach solution and cover that crap up. If you don't rip it out, you can also paint it with a specialized paint that will seal the area off.
I beleive most of the mold is in the floor and betwen the joists. Im going to get rid of all the carpet in my bathroom though. I wont open the floor though. I think I would rather access that area through the garage ceiling. That way it escapes into the outside, rather than inside the house...

moneypit
03-15-2005, 04:03 PM
I have been getting upper respiratory. Flu like symptoms.

Jrocket
03-15-2005, 04:04 PM
No shit,what does this stuff do to a person?

Red Eye
03-15-2005, 04:05 PM
I have been getting upper respiratory. Flu like symptoms.
Just curious in case I ever have this problem. My friends brother works for a clean up company that removes this problem. I can find the name out if you're interested.

moneypit
03-15-2005, 04:06 PM
ya let me know....

ROZ
03-15-2005, 04:06 PM
You need to contact Mandelon .... (http://www.spectrumrenovations.com/)

moneypit
03-15-2005, 04:07 PM
No shit,what does this stuff do to a person?
It puts holes in your pockets furr shurr.. Then it tries to kill people. Knarley stuff

Jrocket
03-15-2005, 04:08 PM
So how does one go about having a home checked out for this crap?

callbob4homes
03-15-2005, 04:18 PM
a word of caution about "hiding it". If and when you go to sell your home and you don't disclose that you knew about the mold, you could, if it gets dicovered, be sued and sued and sued until there was none left. Get it done professionally. Lot cheaper now than down the road. Really, this is getting to be a serious issue anymore and if the home inspector finds it when you go to sell, and you did not disclose.............. :hammerhea

Mandelon
03-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Man--->IAQA Certified Mold Remediator<-----delon is on the case.
Most of what is above is true.
Check your PM's
Black Mold can be what is known as Stachybotris. As far as molds go it is considered one of the more dangerous types. It can cause flu like symptoms, headaches, nosebleeds, memory loss and general respiratory distress. Possibly worse things, down the line, but not proved.
Best to leave it to a professional but I can set you up with the proper techniques and sources. Its not all that difficult, but if you go at it without appropriate precautions you can contaminate your whole house.
We wear Tyvek full suits with booties and hoods, HEPA rated respirators and rubber gloves. Debris goes in six mil bags, doubled and taped. We use HEPA air scrubbers, negative air pressurization, and special vacuums that are HEPA and asbestos safe.
If anybody has questions feel free to look me up.
www.SpectrumRenovations.com

Red Eye
03-15-2005, 04:36 PM
ya let me know....
It's called American Cleanup Masters located in Simi Valley right outside of LA. I don't know what the number is but you can check out the directory. Good Luck.

Mandelon
03-15-2005, 05:01 PM
http://www.mold-help.org/
www.epa.gov/mold
If you think mold is bullsh*t.....Check this one out: :2purples:
Mold ate my face! (http://mold-help.org/content/view/544/)
http://www.mold-help.com/MarkT0.jpg

moneypit
03-15-2005, 05:25 PM
http://www.mold-help.org/
www.epa.gov/mold
If you think mold is bullsh*t.....Check this one out: :2purples:
Mold ate my face! (http://mold-help.org/content/view/544/)
http://www.mold-help.com/MarkT0.jpg
OK. I really didnt need to see that...
Im speechless after I saw that.

Lake Ape
03-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Just so you all now, if this happens to someone else hear on the boards don't call your insurance company. Get the mold professionally removed first. Here in AZ, the home goes on the unisurable list for many insurance companies, especially when you sell.

Mandelon
03-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Its called the CLUE Network I think, all the insurance companies use it. I'd only make a claim if its a pretty big disaster.
CLUE info (http://www.insurance.info/static/img/brochures/homeowners_checklist.htm)
Get a copy of your loss historyreport, such as a CLUE report from ChoicePoint or an A-PLUS report from Insurance Services Office (ISO). This is a record of home insurance claims you have filed. If you have not filed any insurance claims in the past five years, you won’t have a loss history report. Depending on the property you ultimately buy, you will most likely not have any trouble getting insurance. The better your claim record, the less you may pay for insurance. This can also be important if you are selling the home you are currently living in. A past claim does not have to be a problem. Repairs or improvements, if done properly, can make a property more attractive to buyers and insurers.

ratso
03-15-2005, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=Mandelon]Man--->IAQA Certified Mold Remediator<-----delon is on the case.
Check your PM's
Black Mold can be what is known as Stachybotris. As far as molds go it is considered one of the more dangerous types. It can cause flu like symptoms, headaches, nosebleeds, memory loss and general respiratory distress. Possibly worse things, down the line, but not proved.
...and all along I thought my symptoms were from drinking too heavily.

moneypit
03-15-2005, 08:36 PM
I appreciate all of your PM's. I will give you all an update.. Mandy...that picture. Knarly!!

ssmike
03-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Man--->IAQA Certified Mold Remediator<-----delon is on the case.
Black Mold can be what is known as Stachybotris.
The key word here is "can be." It can also be harmless. It depends on a variety of factors, including which side you work for.
I don't doubt for a minute that Mandelon would steer a fellow forum member wrong. He seems to be a very stand up guy.
Having said that, mold containment and remediation is a for-profit business.