PDA

View Full Version : Running without a valve?????

martym
11-28-2000, 04:06 PM
I bought a 95 Carrera with the 454 jet drive. My question is there is no water inlet valve to control the water and the eng runs about 100 to 110 degrees? I have mixed reviews regarding this. Some say it's good and some say to install a inlet valve to allow the eng to run at least 160 to 190. Any help would be great.

GlastronGuy
11-28-2000, 05:41 PM
This is MY experience. I was running a valve, The motor was getting hot from what I believe were pockets of air. Adjusting the valve was no help. I then opened the valve all the way and used a wire tie to keep it there. I then tapped into the intake manifold and installed a pressure relief valve. I vented it thru transom and adjusted it to 12 psi. No more problems. On a side note I am running the Rex Marine thermostat bypass.
Some folks say if you run a valve you run the risk of filling your block with sand. It's supposed to be because there is not enough pressure to flush it out. I personally don't "get on it" in shallow water.

spectras only
11-29-2000, 09:49 AM
Martym,you live in California where the water temperatures are higher than up here in Canada, and I've run my Spectra for years no problem without a valve.However it's better to run proper temperatures to avoid foaming in the engine oil[running too cool].You can put a valve in to restrict the flow but don't over do it.Start running your boat with the valve open and observe the amount of oil film buildup at your exhaust tip.Now incrementally close it and run your boat until you see no more smoke/film buildup.I would never go up higher than 160Degree on the gage.The gauges are not 100% accurate.Another way to bring up the temperatures without a thermostat[you could fry your engine if it gets stuck]is to restrict the outflow right before it enters to the riser.Get two pieces of bronze material and machine them to fit inside your hose.Drill it to 3/8 ID and observe your temperature reading.If its over 170 deg, drill it 1/2 ID.3/8 worked fine for me for our overrall water temperatures.In the Okanagan lakes we run 1/2 in ID hence higher temps up there.If you don't like the hassell with the valve your only option is the bypass thermostat.Call Dave at California Marine, he has those too.PH;604-278-1880

martym
11-29-2000, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the info.