PDA

View Full Version : New 2005 Suburban!

Super D
03-21-2005, 10:49 PM
Me and the missus just picked one uo last week - sweet ride! Just wondering if anyone else out there has one and what they tow with it and how it performs. 1500 5.3 bone stock for the moment (k&n on the way). Had the same setup in the Tahoe we traded - towed great, but the 'burb is a bit heavier and the gears are 3.42 'burb vs. 3.73 on the 'hoe. Any comments welcomed :rollside:

Kilrtoy
03-22-2005, 12:20 AM
Congrats nice vehicle....dont know anything about towing with that....

Havasu Hangin'
03-22-2005, 05:32 AM
I had an '03, and it was a great rig- it towed better than my 'Hoe, but I think the extra wheelbase helped. I think the Sub is around 500lbs heavier than the 'Hoe.
Those L460E trannys don't like to get hot. If you tow in the heat (or on hills), I'd think about an aftermarket cooler and a gauge (those gears won't help, either).
Congrats!

Squirtin Thunder
04-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Derin,
At least you still have a real truck, Ford Super Duty !!!
Jim

Lightning
04-03-2005, 07:58 AM
I had an '03, and it was a great rig- it towed better than my 'Hoe, but I think the extra wheelbase helped. I think the Sub is around 500lbs heavier than the 'Hoe.
Those L460E trannys don't like to get hot. If you tow in the heat (or on hills), I'd think about an aftermarket cooler and a gauge (those gears won't help, either).
Congrats!
I agree, that tranny does get hot. If you are looking for a good alternative to buying a separate tranny gauge, buy the escalade gauge cluster and drop it in the there.

CBLavey
04-03-2005, 02:20 PM
If you did not buy it with the towing package, you will need an aftermarket tranny and engine oil cooler. Change the tranny fluid anually and you should be okay. :D

silverius
04-03-2005, 02:46 PM
With the 3.42 vs. the 3.73 rear end you are going to lose alot of your tow capability. The rig as you have it equipped is a great ride for taking a trip, loading it up to the max with all the gear.
It tows but the GCWR doesn't really allow you to take advantage of the advertised tow rating unless the driver is a 120# jockey with nothing else in the rig except 2 gallons of fuel.
Nice ride though, we love ours!!

don johnson
04-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Great vehicle. We are enjoying ours.
I have an 2005 3/4 ton with the 8.1. It towed disappointingly. I added headers, cat back, Cold Air and a Westers tune. All this combined netted me almost 100 HP and made a huge difference. The Westers tune was by far the best power adder, that was huge. I posted a thread on the before and afters if you are interested. The mod's picked up fuel mileage over 2 MPG.
I tow a 33 Daytona and it tows it great now. Before the mod's it struggled on steep grades. Now, it keeps up with the diesels.

Super D
04-08-2005, 10:46 PM
:cool: Cool cool. Yeah, got the tow package for sure. I only tow my 19' Maxum open bow 4.3, so I think we should be ok for the few times a year we actually tow. So far the thing is great - rides on a cloud! And it's getting peppier as it breaks in and after the k&n! Would love to do the other cool mods, :) but diapers come first right now!