PDA

View Full Version : Baseball = Steroids

surfer2001
03-23-2005, 07:28 AM
As far as IÂ’m concerned all the records that have been set in the last few years need to be wiped from the books. Bonds, McGuire, and all the rest should be treated like Pete Rose. Its a joke, I say reinstate Roger Maris as the home run king.

Powerquestboy
03-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Well, it's a good thing you're not in charge, since steroids didn't appear on baseball's banned substance list until a couple years ago.
Just because it wasnt on the Banned substance list doesnt make it right. Everyone can hide there heads in the sand about the situation but those guys knew what they were doing, they knew it was wrong, they should accept any and all consequences. If you ask me, wipe those records off the books and teach the pro athletes a lesson. They should learn to be men, work hard and do it naturally. Why wouldnt everyone get on the juice and claim a couple records if there are no consequences.

HEDJUG
03-23-2005, 07:58 AM
The pros (all sports included) have been using some sort of performance inhancer since the 40's. Be it roids, coke, speed, painkillers ect... You could argue that most stats have been effected in one way or the other.
Does anyone actually believe that any of the top running backs in football didn't use roids?? Sould all of those records be pulled? How about most of the gold medals for the last 60 years, are they all invalid?
Try and name a sport that steroids are not involved in...... Well possibly pool and bowling, but you get the point.

Not So Fast
03-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Take a look at #1 bodybuilder (for fame anyway) the gov, ARNIE when he was a skinny little kid! Was it natural when he was at his peak, you tell me!! :idea: NSF

Powerquestboy
03-23-2005, 08:22 AM
I agree that steroids is not a new thing by any means I just hate the fact that the players have the nerve to say to americans "i'm not on steroids" Yeah everyone gets that big naturally! Mark Mcguire was the same size for years and all of the sudden he is a giant, I dont think there is one person on this planet that didnt know he was on the juice. It just bothers me that professional sports turns a blind eye to this. It is so obvious its rediculous but the MLB turns a blind eye and says they are doing all they can. It's BS.

surfer2001
03-23-2005, 09:45 AM
The pros (all sports included) have been using some sort of performance inhancer since the 40's. Be it roids, coke, speed, painkillers ect... You could argue that most stats have been effected in one way or the other.
Does anyone actually believe that any of the top running backs in football didn't use roids?? Sould all of those records be pulled? How about most of the gold medals for the last 60 years, are they all invalid?
Try and name a sport that steroids are not involved in...... Well possibly pool and bowling, but you get the point.
Yea ok, these guys have been using “stuff” for years, but to me steroids are way different. Guys that set records that were using coke, speed, and painkillers, set their records in spite of, not because of. I don’t see those kinds of drugs as “performance enhancing”. Steroids do one thing, steroids build mussel mass. Looks at the Chinese’s swimmers of the 90’s they were unbeatable, and yes I do think anybody who cheats should not be recognized as winners.

ratso
03-23-2005, 10:41 AM
As in any sport, things evolve and there is always new technology coming along, whether it's football or baseball, dragracing, Nascar...what have you...records are made to be broken, and I believe the athletes of today should be able to use any means necessary or available to break the records and to make the sport more exciting. I personally can't stand baseball, but the year that Sosa and McGuire were hitting all those home runs, I was at that point and time a Huge fan. The government is involved in too much of our business already and we lose more rights more and more every day. The government says steroids are illegal??? F##K the government. When I see bodybuilding, such as in the days of Arnold and Lou Ferrigno, I want to see freakin' huge. Look at Wrestling and the likes of Steiner (Big Poppa Pump), Hulk Hogan and the Road Warriors in their days... Freaks... So, McGuire and Sosa give you a season in Baseball that no one will EVER forget, and now you want to take it away. Give me a friggin' break. :notam:

Sleek-Jet
03-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Point of fact Maris only broke the record because the season was longer... remember the * ????
The simple reality is these men are athletes and competitors, they want every advantage. If riding the needle or poping pills gives them that advantage, they will use it.
The real reason the H/R record has fallen in the last couple years is the sorry state of pitching in the Majors... those guys are the ones that should be doping up... :supp:

surfer2001
03-23-2005, 01:05 PM
As in any sport, things evolve and there is always new technology coming along, whether it's football or baseball, dragracing, Nascar...what have you...records are made to be broken, and I believe the athletes of today should be able to use any means necessary or available to break the records and to make the sport more exciting. I personally can't stand baseball, but the year that Sosa and McGuire were hitting all those home runs, I was at that point and time a Huge fan. The government is involved in too much of our business already and we lose more rights more and more every day. The government says steroids are illegal??? F##K the government. When I see bodybuilding, such as in the days of Arnold and Lou Ferrigno, I want to see freakin' huge. Look at Wrestling and the likes of Steiner (Big Poppa Pump), Hulk Hogan and the Road Warriors in their days... Freaks... So, McGuire and Sosa give you a season in Baseball that no one will EVER forget, and now you want to take it away. Give me a friggin' break. :notam:
Oh, ok so your kid is a top prospect in the minor leagues, the coach comes to you and tells you that to get too the next level your son needs to get on a weight training and steroid program. Suddenly his health is put in jeopardy, but in order to entertain you its ok. Heart attack, cancer, overdose, violent behavior, impendence, death, no problem, just win and entertain. Kinda selfish thinking isnÂ’t it?

HEDJUG
03-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Yea ok, these guys have been using “stuff” for years, but to me steroids are way different. Guys that set records that were using coke, speed, and painkillers, set their records in spite of, not because of. I don’t see those kinds of drugs as “performance enhancing”. Steroids do one thing, steroids build mussel mass. Looks at the Chinese’s swimmers of the 90’s they were unbeatable, and yes I do think anybody who cheats should not be recognized as winners.
Some type of stimulant (speed) was used in many forms endurance sports with great success. Most of the cyclist in the 70's, 80's & early 90's were doped to the max. if you think coke was not good, just look at L.T. He was the most dominate linebacker ever and played every down on coke.
Another drug used for endurance, that was more effective than any other including steroids, was called E.P.O. Just about every cycling record was done by a rider on this drug. It is now banned, but the records stand.

Cole Trickle
03-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Sadly Steroid usage is starting way before the pro's.
I had a couple buddies that went away to play D1 college football.When they left they were above average sized guys and relying mostly on there athletic ability.When they got to school they found out that natural ability dosen't get you where you need to be.I saw these guys come back 6 months after they left with 40lbs of pure muscle added to there frame.You ask them about it and they all joke around like the coach has them on a "special" diet and work out plan.(Yeah right)
The trainers are more worried about winning then a players health.
Baseball is the same way very few people that were actually drafted see even one iota of professional playing time.Being a minor leauge player means you get payed next to nothing.If you have been playing baseball your whole life and the only way your getting to the next level is to take steroids there would be a line a hundred miles long.
Barry,Mark,Sammy were never planning on breaking records when they started using.They just wanted to make an impact on the game so they could be succsessful and make alot of money.
With all of this coming out people should be paying more attention to the Griffeys,Damons and Ichro's who are actually baseball players and not just an offensive threat.(The media made the home run hitter an icon)

schiada96
03-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Well, it's a good thing you're not in charge, since steroids didn't appear on baseball's banned substance list until a couple years ago.
yeah but being an illegal substance!!!

ratso
03-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Oh, ok so your kid is a top prospect in the minor leagues, the coach comes to you and tells you that to get too the next level your son needs to get on a weight training and steroid program. Suddenly his health is put in jeopardy, but in order to entertain you its ok. Heart attack, cancer, overdose, violent behavior, impendence, death, no problem, just win and entertain. Kinda selfish thinking isnÂ’t it?
The coach doesn't need to come to me. My son is 22 and fully capable of making his own decisions... his choice, not the government. All you mention above... heart attack, cancer, overdose, violent behavior, impendence, death... heck, you can do that with alcohol and tobacco. Bottom line, I think it's the athlete's choice, not you, not I, nor government. There's plenty of stuff out there that will kill you... don't single out steroids.

surfer2001
03-23-2005, 03:46 PM
The coach doesn't need to come to me. My son is 22 and fully capable of making his own decisions... his choice, not the government. All you mention above... heart attack, cancer, overdose, violent behavior, impendence, death... heck, you can do that with alcohol and tobacco. Bottom line, I think it's the athlete's choice, not you, not I, nor government. There's plenty of stuff out there that will kill you... don't single out steroids.
Are saying the government should legalize steroids, crack, meth, heroin, and all the rest because it should be an individualÂ’s choice? I sure hope not, the drug issue is a huge problem for the US and think its all bad, even weed. Hell, Alcohol is legal, and causes enough damage to our society.
I started this discussion after reading the morning sports pages, in todayÂ’s OC register Bonds is acting like heÂ’s a victim, and that just pissed me off. His reputation as a poor interview, and selfish person, serves him well. If he wasnÂ’t on the juice heÂ’d be more sociable, maybe he just needs a few beers to loosen up.