PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a 5th wheel

Todd969
03-23-2005, 11:32 AM
My wife and I are days away from making a 5th wheel purchase. We are torn between the Montana and Wilderness AX6, both are loaded ( dual air, nice furniture, R18 insulation, etc )
Anyone have experience with either?

nodigg
03-23-2005, 11:40 AM
I have been days away from making a toy box purchase for months now. We started with a 19 foot hitch cheepo type for the Avalanche and are now looking at the 5th wheel type high end units, (had to buy a Duramax also)....I have no experience with what you are looking at but man do I empathize with what you are going thru! :D

Todd969
03-23-2005, 11:46 AM
No doubt Rick, We buy a boat when my wife sees purple carpet, buy a cobra for the seats and the last 2 weeks have been hell trying to figure out which trailer will provide us comfort and quality. Buying a house was easier.

oldbuck40
03-23-2005, 11:48 AM
wilderness is a pos!!! i had one for 1 year and it really did fall apart! as soon as you hit the off road headed to camp on any uneven ground the slide on the slideout will get looser and eventually not seal when closed! another thing i did learn on campers in general is spend more $$$ and buy somthing that doesnt have a rubber roof! wilderness has a rubber roof and the first tree limb you hit its history,,then you have a leak in the roof,then rotted wood,i could go on and on,,,save your self the trouble and buy somthing with a fiberglass or aluminum roof!!!

nodigg
03-23-2005, 11:57 AM
I know what you mean, I"m looking at the weights, the features, the capacity, the axles, the wife goes stricly by the appearance. lol!
I'm pretty sure we left the entry level and are now settling on a weekend warrior with a lifetime warranty.

Wild Horses
03-23-2005, 01:09 PM
I have a 2004 Prowler Regal which is similar to the AX6 (they are both made by Fleetwood) which means it has a aluminum frame on all 6 sides. I had a 1995 prowler that I traded in for it and it was not as well built as the 2004. I don't figure your going to be doing a lot of off roading with this if so just buy a cheap one. i.e. Wanderer :notam:
Most of your trailers have a rubber roof, my dads Sea Breeze (upper end unit) has a rubber roof.
I tow my Fifth from Canada to Mexico and the fleetwood tows well. Also the Montana is a quality unit, buy the one you can afford and get all of the options that you want. :rollside:
Clint

Todd969
03-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Maybe I should have mentioned that it is being parked for 6 months at a time. I have no plans for towing this thing around. Basically a affordable 2nd home.

caroftheweek
03-23-2005, 01:27 PM
My In-law's have a 3255 Montana. They love it. They bought it used in 2004 (2003 model year). They have towed it roughly 15000 miles since with no major problems, just little things like all trailers. If the trailer is going to be used as a "residence" I would purchase the largest trailer possible but make sure your camping area will accomodate the size. If you are going to be towing it all the time, I would consider a smaller unit as they are easier to manuver. My In-law's will be trading down to the 2955 model after their next trip. It is just too big for them to tow everywhere. Good luck with your purchase.
Ryan

Todd969
03-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Now I'm really screwed. We just got home from Giant RV and they recommend me to stay away from Fleetwood and look at Forest River or Carriage. This pursuit is becoming ridiculous. Why can't this be like buying a pair of shoes?

Dawn Patrol
03-23-2005, 08:08 PM
If your going to go for 5th wheel toy hauler, Weekend Warrior is a good way to go.
Had my trailer now for three years, it has been Great except for the Carlisle tires, Carlisle did pay for the new Goodyears I bought. :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5989Pismo_Beach_7-4-03.jpg

wildbillg
03-23-2005, 08:09 PM
ahhhh hmmmm
aahhhh hmmmmm
I sell Forest riverrrr.......
ummm ahh ammm
Hi Todd
Like that boat still??
Give me a call

Todd969
03-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Hey Bill, Yes of course we love our Nordic. Was up there on saturday and have a spot at Havasu falls From Apr thru Oct. Now I need a damn Trailer. What models do you have? Can i call you tonight?

wildbillg
03-23-2005, 08:23 PM
yeap you can call me
just getting ready to go take a shower
check your pm's