PDA

View Full Version : Towing Question??

robert_pv
03-23-2005, 12:55 PM
I have a 2004 Dodge dually 4x4 and tow a 30' Kachina. Other than my stock mud flaps, what additionally can I easily do to protect my boat from rocks and road grime?
Also my trailer brakes lock up while reversing uphill or in gravel. What can I do to keep my trailer tongue from retracting when in reverse.

Kim Hanson
03-23-2005, 12:58 PM
Get that skirt for rocks, attachs to your bumper or you can get one for your reciever htch.............( . )( . )......any RV Store......... :cool:

racecar.hotshoe
03-23-2005, 12:59 PM
1st? Bigger flaps 2nd? There should be a lock out pin on the trailer.If its a surge break.......... :D

robert_pv
03-23-2005, 01:09 PM
1st? Bigger flaps 2nd? There should be a lock out pin on the trailer.If its a surge break.......... :D
The trailer does have surge brakes not electrical and does not have a pin hole.
I guess I need to drill a hole and set a pin. As for rock protection I would like full horse hair skirt that slips through the receiver for easy removal. I could only find a setup that permanently attatches to the bumper

racecar.hotshoe
03-23-2005, 01:12 PM
or a block of wood works............... :cool:

robert_pv
03-23-2005, 01:15 PM
or a block of wood works............... :cool:
I already tried the wood thing, It ripped it up real quick.

racecar.hotshoe
03-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Drill a hole and pin it........

Jordy
03-23-2005, 01:17 PM
If it's a newer trailer, it seems that there is an electrical connection for the surge brakes that lock them out, at least on the Extremes and the like. I don't know what Louie has for a setup. You might check with them before you start drilling. ;)

Scream
03-23-2005, 01:20 PM
How old is your trailer? If it's within the last 5 years or earlier, chances are you've got a solenoid lockout on your brakes when backing up. Like TnB said, get the 5 way plug and make sure you're getting power to that connector when in reverse. May need to add a relay or whatever to the under hood fuse block to accomplish this, but shouldn't be a big deal...
As for the rocks. They make a deflector that attaches to the trailer, looks like a snowplow or a cowcatcher on a locomotive. Supposed to work well..

robert_pv
03-23-2005, 01:51 PM
How old is your trailer? If it's within the last 5 years or earlier, chances are you've got a solenoid lockout on your brakes when backing up. Like TnB said, get the 5 way plug and make sure you're getting power to that connector when in reverse. May need to add a relay or whatever to the under hood fuse block to accomplish this, but shouldn't be a big deal...
As for the rocks. They make a deflector that attaches to the trailer, looks like a snowplow or a cowcatcher on a locomotive. Supposed to work well..
The trailer is a 2005 model

voodoomedman
03-23-2005, 01:51 PM
check with the trailer manufacturer. My wiring harness is from extreme and has the five pins. the fifth pin gets power from the backup lights to release the brakes. I also have a pin thingy but those are a pain on the extremes. They are just a little metal thingy that sits there but doesn't really get inserted so they fall out all the time.

Ziggy
03-23-2005, 01:56 PM
check with the trailer manufacturer. My wiring harness is from extreme and has the five pins. the fifth pin gets power from the backup lights to release the brakes. I also have a pin thingy but those are a pain on the extremes. They are just a little metal thingy that sits there but doesn't really get inserted so they fall out all the time.
Right-T-O
I hooked my 5th pin(blue wire) up to my backup lights seperately since my truck doesn't seem to be wired properly....and that flat coin-like device don't work for shit.

robert_pv
03-23-2005, 01:59 PM
That explains it. I will check to make sure the brakes are receiving power.
Thank you

rivercrazy
03-23-2005, 01:59 PM
This is by far the best product I could find for protecting the boat from road debris:
www.mudflaps.com

voodoomedman
03-23-2005, 02:26 PM
those are way cool only prob is some dickhead will steel them unless theeir is a way to lock it to the truck :mad:
looks like it slips over your draw bar. Lock your draw bar to the truck and your flaps are locked to the truck.

rivercrazy
03-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Yup. The unit slips over your receiver and if use a lock to secure your receiver, than the flap is also locked.
The two best benefits of this product in my experience are 1) ease of removal. Pull your receiver and your done, 2) the unit is stout and adjustable. I've had one for 5 years and nothing is bent or tweaked. Even with some offroading with the truck with the unit attached.