PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Grill Install?

Up 4 River
03-23-2005, 02:45 PM
I have a quick question that I hoping someone can help me out with? I have a 1997 Chevy Tahoe with a Phantom grill and steel bumper. I ordered a new grill and bumper for the Tahoe recently. The new grill is the stock chrome grill with the Chevy symbol in the middle, and the bumper is a plain smooth chrome bumper. I went to pick it up and told them I was going to install it myself because it does not look to difficult. They told me the headlights were remounted when the Phantom grill was originally put in since the current grill goes over the lights. They told me they would have to reset the lights in order to fit with the stock grill again. Has anyone heard of this or know if they are reset? I was not told that originally. I can put a new grill and bumper in, but do not know how the lights need to be reset of they do. I would rather not pay the $225 I was quoted to have it done and do the job myself. Please let me know if any of you know if I can just pull the Phantom grill off and replace it or not. Thanks for the help.
U4R

tahitijet
03-23-2005, 09:59 PM
there are 2 types of phantom grilles.. 1. like the trenz style required sinking the lights and the other the billet itself was shaved real thin to pass over the lights in the stock place and you file off the nubbs off the headlight face to fit under it.
If you have the recesse headlight version it will be very obvious by the holes cut in your core support and the metal brackets behind the lights.
If this is the case you can purchase new stock headlight buckets, that had to be modified for the recessed brackets and bolt them back on and bolt your headlights back up this will move them back out into the stock location. Since your shell will already be off, your probably looking at a 10-15 minute job and maybee 20-40 in parts or so.

tahitijet
03-23-2005, 10:00 PM
betitbug, give me a call.. I can locate most anything your looking for.

Up 4 River
03-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the info and help guys! The headlights were sunk when the original was installed. I'll take care of this tomorrow.
U4R