PDA

View Full Version : 1st boat: New or pre-owned?

Titan7
03-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Hey Guys, I have read a lot on this site but now have a question since I am looking to purchase my first boat. I have narrowed it down to Ultra Custom Boats and Commander in a 21' Jet drive. Prices have gone up a lot since I last looked, but the pre-owned seem to hold their value pretty well. To all of you who have done this before did you wish you purchased new or pre-owned? I see the new Ultra 21' jets are about $45k, saw a pre-owned 98 22' ultra for 29k. What do you look for in pre-owned boat besides the normal "it looks clean". Is there a Kelly Blue Book for boat values somewhere? What is considered low and high hours?
Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Kilrtoy
03-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Hey Guys, I have read a lot on this site but now have a question since I am looking to purchase my first boat. I have narrowed it down to Ultra Custom Boats and Commander in a 21' Jet drive. Prices have gone up a lot since I last looked, but the pre-owned seem to hold their value pretty well. To all of you who have done this before did you wish you purchased new or pre-owned? I see the new Ultra 21' jets are about $45k, saw a pre-owned 98 22' ultra for 29k. What do you look for in pre-owned boat besides the normal "it looks clean". Is there a Kelly Blue Book for boat values somewhere? What is considered low and high hours?
NADA.COM
is a good place to find values...
GO FOR A TEST RIDE. make sure the boats works properly.....
make sure there is no rot or broken wood....

Phat Matt
03-24-2005, 10:46 PM
If you don't care about your own custom gel, used is a good way to go.
www.nadaguides.com
That's the KBB for boats but it isn't completely accurate because of all the different options available.
Good luck and oh, mine might be for sale soon. But it's a 24. :D

dc96819
03-24-2005, 10:50 PM
If no experience get a pre owned first

HOOTER SLED-
03-24-2005, 10:56 PM
Titan. I have ArtV's 94 Ultra in my driveway looking for a new owner. If you are wanting one more than a couple of years old. Personally I would recommend pre-owned to get a feel for what you want and like. Not to mention to beat up. Gain your experience on something used first. Good luck and welcome to the boards.

Titan7
03-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Good suggestions,
I am leaning towards pre-owned since it will have a few small scuffs etc, it would hurt to scratch a new $45k boat while learning :hammerhea I will not go older than 98, but if a really clean and well maintained older boat came around I would look at it. I would hope there is a place I could take it to have it checked out? Heck, I would not be able to tell if the hull has a crack or something or a stringer is cracking, Motor rod knocking when pulling a skier. That's the thing that scares me on pre-owned. What's the normal amount of hours on a motor and pump before a rebuild?
Sorry for all the dumb questions, let me know if I am posting in the wrong spot.
Take care!

Quality Time
03-24-2005, 11:05 PM
If you are concerned about all of that then pay to have the boat surveyed by a licensed marine surveyor. May cost you some money up front, but could save you a chit load in the future.
Good Luck

Kilrtoy
03-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Good suggestions,
I am leaning towards pre-owned since it will have a few small scuffs etc, it would hurt to scratch a new $45k boat while learning :hammerhea I will not go older than 98, but if a really clean and well maintained older boat came around I would look at it. I would hope there is a place I could take it to have it checked out? Heck, I would not be able to tell if the hull has a crack or something or a stringer is cracking, Motor rod knocking when pulling a skier. That's the thing that scares me on pre-owned. What's the normal amount of hours on a motor and pump before a rebuild?
Sorry for all the dumb questions, let me know if I am posting in the wrong spot.
Take care!
No not dumb at all...
Engine is hard to tell... How did the person drive the boat, how did they maintain the boat, etc.....

clownpuncher
03-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Like said earlier, if you're not worried about customizing your own grafics, power etc. then used is a good way to go. Just buy from a good seller. From what I've heard on the boards, an HB seller is usually a pretty safe bet. I bought a used boat from Froggystyle and couldn't be happier. You're bound to find a few members on the boards that are at least a little familiar with another board members boat for sale and they'll attest to the good or bad about the boat (although I haven't heard much "bad")
In short, an HB members boat is probably a good buy.

Titan7
03-24-2005, 11:14 PM
I am not too concerned about the gel colors and long I like them, heck I don't think I have seen an Ultra or for that matter any boat photo on this board I did not like! I am really just concerned about getting a well maintained, reliable boat, that has not been abused. Good advice from all of you, thanks. I will keep my eye out here and boat trader for something.

jbtrailerjim
03-25-2005, 06:26 AM
If you are looking for a used Ultra, send RVRTOY (Steve) a pm or give him a call. (619)443-1100 He is the sales mgr. at Ultra. He can definitely find you something. Here is a used 21XS jet they have advertised on there website.
http://www.ultraboats.com/instock_images/117-2.jpg

ULTRA28
03-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Used is a good way to go for a first boat. There are a lot of good deals out there. If it happens to be an Ultra you are looking at, call me with the H.I.N. numbers so I can give you some history on the boat. There are some knock offs out there that weren't built by us, but have our name on them.

OGShocker
03-25-2005, 06:50 AM
Not to start any crap here, but go with the Ultra!

BarryMac
03-25-2005, 07:09 AM
Like said earlier, if you're not worried about customizing your own grafics, power etc. then used is a good way to go. Just buy from a good seller. From what I've heard on the boards, an HB seller is usually a pretty safe bet. I bought a used boat from Froggystyle and couldn't be happier. You're bound to find a few members on the boards that are at least a little familiar with another board members boat for sale and they'll attest to the good or bad about the boat (although I haven't heard much "bad")
In short, an HB members boat is probably a good buy.
Totally agree with this post by clownpuncher, if you buy from someone on the boards as I did they have a reputation that they aren't going to want slashed apart on an open internet forum, they are going to be upfront and honest with you, but most everyone on here is meticulous by nature and take excellent care of their toys. You should check out the '94 Ultra that Hooter_Sled is storing for Artv, it looks clean and the price is right for your first boat... :D

surfer2001
03-25-2005, 07:10 AM
Not to start any crap here, but go with the Ultra!
Not to start crap either, but why a jet? With the rising fuel cost, to me stern drive is the only way to go. Low hours USED, but I'd for sure pay an expert to check it out.

RiverOtter
03-25-2005, 07:31 AM
JMHO, there are so many hardly used preowned boats out there. I don't think I'll ever buy another new boat again. The depreciation in the first 2 years is horrible. If you wait and don't get emotional about it the right boat will come around.

Titan7
03-25-2005, 07:29 PM
The reason I am looking at a Jet is I have friend with a place on the river Vista Del Rio on AZ 95 right off the 10 FWY, it's shallow in many placed, my buddy had his Malibu out there last summer, that was not fun! I am also looking to get a place at Water Wheel Resort, I would use it at Mohave and Havasu also. The Jet just seemed safer. I have heard they are less to maintain, but that could just be talk. I agree on the fuel cost but I would not feel comfortable with a I/O at the river, but I see people use them there all the time.
From what I have seen 20-30 hours per season is low. I see many boats with 50-200 hrs on them and some are 10 years old. I will look into having one of those inspections completed also. I saw a 03 Ultra at some Repo marina in Long Beach asking 29k, ad said Gel work and interior work needed. Makes me wonder it the owner trashed it before the repo man got it!
You guys have some great suggestions. Continue to let me know if you see something that fits the bill.

termiteguy
03-25-2005, 07:50 PM
try and look for aboat that has been kept indoors the gelcoat and
interior will be in beter shape. i do about 30 hours a year on it spend
a lot of time drinking beer on shore. but definitly go used stern
drive it takes less horsepower to power than jet boat will :jawdrop:

voodoomedman
03-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Like OGShocker said between Ultra and Commander go with Ultra. I'm not saying that because I own an Ultra. That is the reason I own an Ultra. But seriously PM Ultra28 he's the owner of Ultra. Also as said before RVRTOY is the sales manager or johnwithjm is co-owner of the factory showroom in Corona. They will help you with anything they have for used or as Ultra28 said will help you with the history of an HIN number. There was some hot water with some shady guys making boats and slapping John's company name on them.

welk2party
03-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Can't go wrong with Ultra at all...John is a great guy and makes a killer product. My advice is to use your judgement about the previous owner. You can usually get a feel for how he takes care of his stuff. Good Luck and welcome to the club! ;)

JUST LOOKING
03-25-2005, 08:36 PM
:D Not to start no shit as well but go with what you like even test drive if possible.My lake dog has owned 4 commander and they have been great boats and the one he has now is sweet.Not to start any crap here, but go with the Ultra!

FASTERDAMITT
03-25-2005, 08:41 PM
wut ever you do go big now, cause you going to want to upgrade in 6-12 months like everybody else. You may lose yo azz on a new boat. I don't know anyone who hasn't said I should of gone bigger or faster the first time!

ahhell
03-25-2005, 08:43 PM
I got my first boat as a second owner deal...but i wouldnt change a thing. 1999 Commander jet, 69 hours, tits gel...24k...yep half price...more or less Dont let these guys influence you in the maker of youre boat if it feels good.....DO IT...im happy aas hell...

Titan7
03-25-2005, 09:45 PM
I like all the brands, I seen Ultra, Commander, Carrerra, Caliber I, Essex (sp?) I don't think you can go wrong with any of them and the others I don't know. I guess I am pulled to the Ultra due to a buddy who used to have a 96 or 98 LX Jet, had 80 hours on it mint cond, sold it 2 years ago for $25k :cry: I should have bought it.
Alhell, nice ride! That's the kind of deal I hope to find some day.

bchbum
03-25-2005, 09:45 PM
I looked at that Ultra in Long Beach the day it came in ,someone took a knife to all the seats & engine cover . After that he got the gel coat 3 times . It could be a great boat again with $$$ . I'm selling our 2002 Ultra (lighting ) xts open-bow .Trader coming out Saturday to take the picture . It has 60 hours on it ,only at Parker & the lake .
If you want to look at it call me (562) 420-1834 Richard
Sorry no pictures ,scanner down & I don't like kittens anyway

Titan7
03-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Bchbum, it's a jet I assume. I don't think I have seen this that model before. Is it similar to the 21' Stealth?
Is it going in Sat as in tomorrow?

bchbum
03-26-2005, 06:17 AM
Titan7, yes it's a Dominator jet with a hyd place ,duel batteries with a perko switch .dual ski lockers , am- fm with cd player with remote . It runs low 50's mph .The boat is showroom stock -turnkey with 60 hours . It's not like a Stealth ,it's a lower profile type boat
Trader is taking the picture Saturday & it will comeout April 7 th .

mtndewdrops
03-26-2005, 06:28 AM
Buying Used is just smart all the way around. I had my first boat 5 years and sold it for what I paid for it. I learned to navigate at Parker Stip and moor the boat on shore at my favorite spot. Inevitably there will be dings and scrapes.
When you save 5-10K it will relieve some of the stress when you do something stupid. :D :D :D
ALWAYS Test Drive any Boat that you are considering purchasing. Any private party will be happy to have a reason to take the boat out. A Certified Marine Appraisal usually will be required if you want to finance a private party boat. Find a NO SALTWATER boat!!!...Check for corrosion around the transom and the trailer. I have had peeps tell me their boat has never seen salt water and it was obvious to me that there was salt corrosion. :mad:
SUGGESTIONS: Buy an Arizona Boat from a private party and save yourself the sales tax. I saved $2300 buying my ESSEX. Buy a boat with 300hp or less and save on Insurance. Test Drive an Essex and then try the Ultra. ;) You'll know what to do after that.

famaffair
03-26-2005, 09:34 AM
I like all the brands, I seen Ultra, Commander, Carrerra, Caliber I, Essex (sp?) I don't think you can go wrong with any of them and the others I don't know. I guess I am pulled to the Ultra due to a buddy who used to have a 96 or 98 LX Jet, had 80 hours on it mint cond, sold it 2 years ago for $25k :cry: I should have bought it.
Alhell, nice ride! That's the kind of deal I hope to find some day.
What's up Titan, I know both are good boats. Call Steve at (951)340-3050 he is part owner of Commander. Godd guy and will get you a great deal new or used. I have freinds that own both, and both rate high in my book. The only thing that matters is that you and your family or buddies can have a safe and good time on the water.

INSman
03-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Used is a good way to go for a first boat. There are a lot of good deals out there. If it happens to be an Ultra you are looking at, call me with the H.I.N. numbers so I can give you some history on the boat. There are some knock offs out there that weren't built by us, but have our name on them.
Definitely give John at Ultra a call, he is easy to work with and makes a rock solid product. I hear the service is fantastic as well (very important) !!

hoolign
03-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Whatever you buy...put a whipple charger on it! :eek:

voodoomedman
03-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Not saying that Commander is a bad boat. Just saying my preference. There really isn't much in the way of a bad boat. In a nutshell almost all the customs are good boats. Some are just great. Another big difference is the service. You already had Ultra28 (John West of Ultra custom boats fame) tell you that he would check the HIN numbers for you even if you go private party. Do yourself a favor. Do a search on here for the manufacturers you are deciding between. It will help alot. Like somebody said don't let someone else make your decision... But You will see some stories about certain people in the industry. Take it for what it's worth and make your own decision.

ULTRA28
03-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Titan7, give me a call, I might have something for you. 1-619-443-1100.

a catered life
03-26-2005, 02:05 PM
if its your first boat buy used........boating is not a cheap sport and its better to do trial and error on a used boat. there are many things that you will need to pratice. some times the small things could become a problem (ie launching, drain plugs practice i have seen plenty of people with a new and shiney boat forget the drain plugs, docking, learning the lakes and rivers, etc) any way why spend so much money on something that losses value fast when there are so many great used boat out there:cry: good luck with whereever you get
thats just my $.02 cents