PDA

View Full Version : Motor help please!!!!

harleypauls
03-26-2005, 09:22 AM
I have a check engine light on on my 1999 Expedition. When I read the code for it, it says "system too lean, bank one, system too lean, bank two."
It is a 5.4L with k/n air intake.
I have replaced the spark plugs and the fuel filter.
Anyone have any other ideas.
Thanks, Paul <sitting here scratching my head>

HCS
03-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Most likely an O2 sensor.

Not So Fast
03-26-2005, 09:40 AM
My Tundra reacted badly to a Rod Millen intake system (although it ran much faster) and made my Check Engine light go off, code said same type of thing. I also noticed pinging especially in Havasu (hadn't moved here yet) with the heat. I could get rid of it by running premium fuel but screw that. After talking with a lot of people about this the consenus was the motor was getting too much air and making it lean,?? Took off the intake and WAH-LAA no more trouble, so maybe this will help you :idea: NSF

Perfect Mixer
03-26-2005, 09:45 AM
It's not going to be an O2 because it's related to both banks. You could have a clogged fuel filter, or even an air mass meter problem. Not a Ford tech, but that is a generel evaluation.
Sorry didn't read that you replaced the fuel filter.

HCS
03-26-2005, 09:51 AM
It's not going to be an O2 because it's related to both banks. You could have a clogged fuel filter, or even an air mass meter problem. Not a Ford tech, but that is a generel evaluation.
Sorry didn't read that you replaced the fuel filter.
Talking to a tech. Sounds like your correct, since it's both banks more than likely the air flow meter could be taking a shit.
Aftermarket intakes can cause that problem.

Wet Dream
03-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Here's a great place that I use for my pickup. Everything Ford on the big side, like F series, Expeditions etc.
Ford Forums (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)

racecar.hotshoe
03-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I would look for a vac leak!

racecar.hotshoe
03-26-2005, 10:04 AM
Take the maf off spray it clean with break clean not carb clean,let it dry reinstall done deal!.......$45 Please....... :D

Not So Fast
03-26-2005, 10:04 AM
Isn't it easy to just remove the K&N intake and re-install the OEM part and see if it all goes away????????????? NSF

HCS
03-26-2005, 10:09 AM
We've seen aftermarket intakes totally smoke AFM's

Hallett19
03-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Usually one bank running lean will be an 02, in this case its more than likely to be a mass air problem or both 02s, which is very possible if it has more than 70k miles on it.
www.f150online.com is a good forum to hit, there are a few Ford techs on there. I never had any problems with my Expo in over 3 yrs of driving it, but the techs did answer alot of questions.

harleypauls
03-26-2005, 10:13 AM
I have already replaced the mass air flow sensor. I have run the k/n filter for 4 years on this motor with no problems, so I am inclined to think the problem is somewhere else.
Paul

HCS
03-26-2005, 10:25 AM
It could be failed 02 sensors.
It's tough to throw parts at a motor and see if it fixes the problem.
Especially when you can't return them.
You may want to find a good Ford tech to narrow it down.

JustMVG
03-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Paul, did you Remap or chip the truck?

Perfect Mixer
03-26-2005, 10:32 AM
I would look for a vac leak!
I agree!

voodoomedman
03-26-2005, 10:35 AM
I hope this doesn't sound stupid. But check to make sure the airflow sensor deal is plugged into your intake. When I hade my GenII intake installed they didn't plug it in and my warning light was on. I was pissed until I looked under the hood and found that it wasn't plugged in. The stock wires plug into the aftermarket unit.

harleypauls
03-26-2005, 10:41 AM
MandMVG, No. no chip no remap
I agree with the vaccuum, but it appears all correct.
Electrical can only hook up to like connectors. There is no way to hook up incorrectly.
I am baffled. I will post on a Ford Forum and see what i get.
Thanks guys for the help.
paul :cool:

Kindsvater Flat
03-26-2005, 11:12 AM
With the ford MAF they had a bulletin about dirt buildup on the sensor. You can see this if you take them apart. Be gentle and door touch it. I use a good contact cleaner to clean them with a small bottle of compressed air like you use for cleaning your pc.

Wavemaker
03-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Let us know what the troble was please. I have a 1999 Expedition, Eddie Bauer nearing 70,000 miles. If it turns out to be the mass air module needed replace, give me an idea on cost. I use my Expedition on company travel & do not need to get stuck on the side of a freeway someplace. My fuel filter plugged up a year ago and took out the fuel pump (over-heated the pump). Tow in and repair bill was expen$ive on that one. Add a rental car to the repair bill too. I'll look for your answer to the problem. Thanks, - Wavemaker

HCS
03-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Let us know what the troble was please. I have a 1999 Expedition, Eddie Bauer nearing 70,000 miles. If it turns out to be the mass air module needed replace, give me an idea on cost. I use my Expedition on company travel & do not need to get stuck on the side of a freeway someplace. My fuel filter plugged up a year ago and took out the fuel pump (over-heated the pump). Tow in and repair bill was expen$ive on that one. Add a rental car to the repair bill too. I'll look for your answer to the problem. Thanks, - Wavemaker
What size motor do you have?

a catered life
03-26-2005, 01:45 PM
My buddy had the same problem on his Ford. So he went down to the Chevy dealer and they helped him out...
lol :jawdrop: that wont go over well here

Kim Hanson
03-26-2005, 01:57 PM
lol :jawdrop: that wont go over well here
It will be okay, unless he says he has a whacker and then all hell will break loose............( . )( . )............ :D

blownmirage
03-26-2005, 02:49 PM
this may not sound right to you but just fixed my brother's Expedition for the same problem, the pcv hose is soft and has fallen apart most likely, check at back of passanger side valve cover and follow pcv valve to back of intake, I'll bet it has rotten apart, about $38 dollars for part from Ford, has all new plastic hose, rubber hose, and pcv valve molded as one part

Infomaniac
03-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Check your fuel pressure

Wavemaker
03-26-2005, 03:26 PM
HCS - The 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer version has the 5.4L EFI engine. Heavy duty alternator, heavy duty radiator, trans cooler, 3.70 rear end gears, 30 gallon gas tank, automatic air leveling suspension, front & rear air cond. as the E/B, and Towing package. All of the above is why I bought it, plus the fact it was the best buy for the money at the time I bought it new in late 1998. I did shop around and looked and test drove all of the similar makes and models before buying. I have used this Expo' for business travel and it has fit my needs perfectly. I have never used this vehicle to tow my boat or anything else. I use my Chevy dually for that. I am considering buying a new vehicle to replace this one. This thread caught my attention due to the subject being a similar vehicle to mine, near same mileage. - Wavemaker

HCS
03-26-2005, 03:35 PM
The reason I asked was to see how much a AFM would run.
I can get one from Ford for 86.18. There reman so there's a core.
List price around here is 159.60. Core 75.00.
If you need one let me know. I can ship it to ya. :cool:

Havasu Hangin'
03-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Check your fuel pressure
Yes. When my fuel pump went south, it showed a "lean left and right bank" condition.

HCS
03-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Check your fuel pressure
That's another quick check. There's a valve on the fuel rail. Hook a pressure gauge up and see where your at.
I had my fuel regulator stuck on my Ford one time and had a 120lb of fuel pressure. Talk about running rich. :eek:
It took awhile for me to figure that one out. Longer that it should have. :hammer2:
When I pulled a plug and it was fuel soaked I should have known. :o