PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Needs This Tax Bill

Not So Fast
03-27-2005, 07:07 AM
It's me again and for all the folks who own property in this state (AZ)there is a bill (HCR2048 proposed by Mohave Co. supervisor Buster Johnson) that is on it's way to the Finance Commitee this Thursday morning where the decision to place the bill before the Senate commitees will be made so that the bill can go before the people of AZ to be voted on. As I understand it this bill is loosely based on Ca. Prop 13 and will limit the amount of assessment increases put on property owners to 3% a year and roll back values to 2002. Since we moved here (Havasu) in 2002 our property assessment has risen by 78%. Do you realize any profit until you sell, of course not. Do your taxes go up, of course they do! This is how the politicians can say "we haven't raised your taxes" but in reality they have by just re-assessing your property at a much higher rate.
Please, Please take the time to email the Senate in Phoenix and tell them you support the bill before this Thursday other wise they will just keep taking your money. It affects not only homeowners but businesses as well, WE NEED TAX RELIEF NOW !! The website for this bill and email addesses is, www.taxrollback.com, more info also at Buster's office, ph # 1-928-453-0742. contact Ms.Susan Donahue
Let's getter done people!!! Thanks NSF

Not So Fast
03-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Somebody Please Read This For Christ's Sake, It"s Your Damn Money Too!!!! We Finally Have A Chance To Make Our Voices Heard!! Nsf

Ion
03-27-2005, 09:27 AM
I just subscribed to the mailing list. Thanks for the head's up on this. I've personally experienced $100,000.00 + increases in my asessments the last two years. There certainly is something to be said for "adjustments" and getting my place equal to nearby "comps", but it would be much easier to swallow if they were done gradually!

Boatcop
03-27-2005, 09:31 AM
I agree that this bill would be good for home owners here in AZ. Although you have to realize that property taxes are the main funding source for Counties, Schools, Fire Depts. and other taxing districts.
As property values go up, so does the cost of living. County and other taxing district employees don't get pay raises to keep up with the cost of living, and go elsewhere to be able to afford a decent living, and the County is unable to attract qualified replacements. This leaves the population with inadequate public safety, roads, fire protection and other services that are vital to the common good.
I would support a bill such as this, as long as there was a provision that any transfer of title, re-finance, equity loan, or substantial property improvement would trigger an assessment increase equal to the property's market/assessed value.
A lot of the people complaining about the increased assessment have used their property to secure second mortgages, equity lines of credit, or re-fi of the mortgage. In many cases getting access to a million dollars or more from the property, while still paying taxes on on that property based on $300,000 (or less) valuation. Many of these are vacation homes, and not primary residences. A luxury that the people who have to live and work here cannot afford.
There is already a provision in the law that protects the elderly and those on fixed incomes from these increases, so an argument on their behalf doesn't hold water.
A wise man once said, if you want to dance, you have to pay the piper.
I, too am a property owner and have seen my assessment quadruple in the 17 years I've owned my home. However, I have made improvements that figure into those increases. It still doesn't wash when I am paying more in taxes on a home worth $160,000, than a home worth $500,000, that was only $150,000 a few years ago.

Not So Fast
03-28-2005, 07:03 AM
I agree that this bill would be good for home owners here in AZ. Although you have to realize that property taxes are the main funding source for Counties, Schools, Fire Depts. and other taxing districts.
As property values go up, so does the cost of living. County and other taxing district employees don't get pay raises to keep up with the cost of living, and go elsewhere to be able to afford a decent living, and the County is unable to attract qualified replacements. This leaves the population with inadequate public safety, roads, fire protection and other services that are vital to the common good.
I would support a bill such as this, as long as there was a provision that any transfer of title, re-finance, equity loan, or substantial property improvement would trigger an assessment increase equal to the property's market/assessed value.
A lot of the people complaining about the increased assessment have used their property to secure second mortgages, equity lines of credit, or re-fi of the mortgage. In many cases getting access to a million dollars or more from the property, while still paying taxes on on that property based on $300,000 (or less) valuation. Many of these are vacation homes, and not primary residences. A luxury that the people who have to live and work here cannot afford.
There is already a provision in the law that protects the elderly and those on fixed incomes from these increases, so an argument on their behalf doesn't hold water.
A wise man once said, if you want to dance, you have to pay the piper.
I, too am a property owner and have seen my assessment quadruple in the 17 years I've owned my home. However, I have made improvements that figure into those increases. It still doesn't wash when I am paying more in taxes on a home worth $160,000, than a home worth $500,000, that was only $150,000 a few years ago.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine. I believe the bill contains a ressessment when you sell, obviously at the selling price! Until then I dont believe it is fair to keep raising our assessments as they have done in the last 3 years, mine went up 78%. I am retired and am not planning on selling or borrowing against my home period so this hurts. Your statement that says services will suffer is what they said when California passed Prop 13, and you know what, IT DIDN'T. The sky did not fall and Ca. kept on running, that is until the power scandal a couple of years ago but thats another story. So sorry Mr. Boatcop, I'll do everything in my power to help get this passed and maybe someday you will thank me!! WE NEED TAX RELIEF PERIOD. NSF OUT :angry2: :angry2:

AZKC
03-28-2005, 07:09 AM
Don't worry in a few years it will decrease 78% :mix:

Boatcop
03-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Your statement that says services will suffer is what they said when California passed Prop 13, and you know what, IT DIDN'T. The sky did not fall and Ca. kept on running,
Tell that to the Californians that are paying county luxury taxes on everything they own to make up for the lost property taxes.
Does Orange County going bankrupt a few years ago ring a bell?

Not So Fast
03-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Tell that to the Californians that are paying county luxury taxes on everything they own to make up for the lost property taxes.
Does Orange County going bankrupt a few years ago ring a bell?
YES it does and prop 13 had nothing to do with it sir! Does Robert Citroen ring a bell, he's the genuis that played both ends against the middle in that swindle and went to jail, by the way he was the county treasurer!! As far as luxury taxes go I dont consider my house a LUXURY it is a necessity unlike a fancy boat or car. And before you say it, yeah thats my brand new Magic, I worked my ass off for 50 years to be able to enjoy myself but with the unfair raising of property assessments in at least Mohave Co, I dont know if I'll be able to keep these type of things if it keeps goin up as it has. I've paid my dues sir. now on my RDO's I'd like to enjoy myself OK I'm OUT NSF

Not So Fast
03-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Don't want to beat this subject up too bad but the time is here!! The bill HCR 2048 goes before the Arizona finance committee Thursday morning so if you support this bill PLEASE email the people listed in the website at www.taxrollback.com. ASAP, this will affect property owners in Arizona and business owners also. TAKE THE TIME TO DO THIS unless you want to keep paying the government more and more money. NSF

prosthogod
03-30-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm having two of my properties appealed because thay tripled the assessment and tax in two yrs.

Ion
03-30-2005, 08:53 AM
The increases wouldn't be quite so bad if the money was spent in the town where the VAST MAJORITY of it is collected...here in Havasu. A point that has been sorely overlooked is that much of the property tax money collected is spent in Kingman and other communities like it that contribute only a FRACTION of the total of Mohave County property tax dollars.
Secede from Mohave County and form Lake Havasu County, so our tax dollars are spent in our community. I know I'm not the first one to entertain that concept.
Oh...and to the comedian who believes our property value will drop 78% in the future...you should get in line for open mike night at the local comedy club...you'll kill 'em!

Kachina26
04-05-2005, 06:44 PM
So what happened on Thursday morning?

ChumpChange
04-06-2005, 08:16 AM
So what happened on Thursday morning?
Good question that needs some answering. Back to the top!

Kachina26
04-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Good question that needs some answering. Back to the top!
Passed the finance committee (sp) but still has a way to go look here www.taxrollback.com

Kachina26
08-08-2005, 08:44 AM
This still needs attention, looks like it is dead for this session. But, they will be working hard in the upcomming year.

Not So Fast
08-08-2005, 06:56 PM
This still needs attention, looks like it is dead for this session. But, they will be working hard in the upcomming year.
K-26, you are spot on about this, it was the only bright spot in a very dismal financial picture for Arizona, especially Mojave County which has seen Property tax increases of monumental proportions. I have switched from Democrat to Independent just to support Buster Johnson because he seems to be about the only person fighting for the average guy. It is a shame it never made it to the senate floor before recess but I'm sure Buster will introduce the bill again so lets support this guy and this bill!! :umm: NSF

Boatcop
08-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Buster Johnson because he seems to be about the only person fighting for the average guy. It is a shame it never made it to the senate floor before recess but I'm sure Buster will introduce the bill again so lets support this guy and this bill!!
Buster Johnson is County Supervisor for Mohave County. He may support this and encourage an up vote if it's introduced next session, but he has no standing to introduce anything in the legislature.

Not So Fast
08-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Buster Johnson is County Supervisor for Mohave County. He may support this and encourage an up vote if it's introduced next session, but he has no standing to introduce anything in the legislature.
Forgive me please, it was Jim Weiers who worked quite closely with Buster to get it as far as it went. Hopefully this time it will make it :frown: NSF