PDA

View Full Version : 03 Ford Explorer w/ 4.6L V8 for 21'?

Titan7
03-27-2005, 09:50 AM
I have no experience towing boats, but I am looking to purchase a 21' open bow Jet soon. Will my SUV be ok for this task? I have the towing package?
thanks

cc322
03-27-2005, 04:44 PM
IMO It will tow it but bigger is always better, I use to have a 21 boat and pulled it with a Expedition it did pretty good,now I got a f-250 and wouldnt pull with anything else. Of course the boat got bigger as well.

XtrmWakeborder
03-27-2005, 06:35 PM
If my little 4.3 can pull my heavy ass daycruiser im sure yours will be fine. Now i like towing it with the suburban a hell of alot better, but it will do it.

Titan7
03-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Cool, thanks!

victorfb
03-28-2005, 09:51 AM
i see this all too often and unfortunatly it gets very little recognition, but do any of you consider the braking power and stability of these smaller tow vehicles? atleast Ford is now promoting thier super duties with better braking and handeling packages, but it still hasnt caught on. almost all accidents involving a tow vehicle and trailer is contributed to the lack of stopping and or controlling the added weight of the towed viehicle. just because the power output of an engine and drive train is enough to haul a certian load up a grade, does not mean it can also control it going back down that grade. and when cornering, the load transfer and directional force of the pulled wieght shifts, and can, and will sometimes excede the load capacity of the tow vehicle. wieght, length, and braking power are all contributing factors of controling a towed vehicle, especially in wind, uneven road conditions, and also curved roads. im not saying your smaller SUV cannot handle the load being presented, but i do feel it is neccesary to inform you of the possabilities of dissaster when trying to push the limit. ask yourself this "how much do i value my life, the lives of my family and friends, and fellow highway users?" there is a story about a man that was coming back from an off road vacation with his toy hauler trailer behind his truck that most people would consider being of proper size and towing capacity. after getting involved in an accident were a life was taken from the other vehicle involved, the insurance company determined he was over wieght for the tow vehicle and did not cover his claim. he is charged with manslaughter, no compensation, lost his job and eventually his wife and family over the accident. his once happy life is ruined. i dont remember were the article is but a board member here was the one that told me about it and im sure he can get that info if need be. this board member used to kid me about buying an F550 to tow my 38' 5th wheel. he now agrees with me that it was a very smart choice. with all this said, please make an effort to educate yourself on the limitations of your tow vehicle before making your decission to enter our highways. we all would appreciate it. be careful and thank you for reading this. :D

Titan7
03-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Very good point. I agree with you the thought of that happening scares the heck out of me! Perhaps I will look at a new truck :D

Duke
03-31-2005, 10:11 AM
i opted for a silverado last december instead of the 4wd tacoma i really wanted just for the added towing cap. and im only towing an 18fter

talkinghead
04-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Check the tow rating database at:
http://www.trailerboats.com/towrating/

talkinghead
04-08-2005, 11:43 PM
If you stay within the manufactuers ratings for towing and GCVW, you should not have any unusual problems.
Notice in victorfb's story the truck/trailer combo was apparently OVERWEIGHT, which most likely led to a dangerous braking deficiency.
Good judgement and attentive driving go a long way especially when towing - you will always need extra space for braking while towing and ideally leave more space between you and the vehicle in front of you at a minimum.
Ofcourse a larger vehicle may stop faster, but NO vehicle will totally make up for poor judgement and a lack of patience.
I mean, if you follow the logic of some why not just go out and buy a Kenworth...?
According to the vehicle tow rating database at trailerboats (based on the manufacturers specifications) a properly equipped 03 Explorer (which is not a 'small' SUV) is rated to tow up to 7000 lbs.
Don't forget to consider the GCVW and the weight of your gear and people in your SUV when towing as well.

cc322
04-09-2005, 06:57 AM
i see this all too often and unfortunatly it gets very little recognition, but do any of you consider the braking power and stability of these smaller tow vehicles? atleast Ford is now promoting thier super duties with better braking and handeling packages, but it still hasnt caught on. almost all accidents involving a tow vehicle and trailer is contributed to the lack of stopping and or controlling the added weight of the towed viehicle. just because the power output of an engine and drive train is enough to haul a certian load up a grade, does not mean it can also control it going back down that grade. and when cornering, the load transfer and directional force of the pulled wieght shifts, and can, and will sometimes excede the load capacity of the tow vehicle. wieght, length, and braking power are all contributing factors of controling a towed vehicle, especially in wind, uneven road conditions, and also curved roads. im not saying your smaller SUV cannot handle the load being presented, but i do feel it is neccesary to inform you of the possabilities of dissaster when trying to push the limit. ask yourself this "how much do i value my life, the lives of my family and friends, and fellow highway users?" there is a story about a man that was coming back from an off road vacation with his toy hauler trailer behind his truck that most people would consider being of proper size and towing capacity. after getting involved in an accident were a life was taken from the other vehicle involved, the insurance company determined he was over wieght for the tow vehicle and did not cover his claim. he is charged with manslaughter, no compensation, lost his job and eventually his wife and family over the accident. his once happy life is ruined. i dont remember were the article is but a board member here was the one that told me about it and im sure he can get that info if need be. this board member used to kid me about buying an F550 to tow my 38' 5th wheel. he now agrees with me that it was a very smart choice. with all this said, please make an effort to educate yourself on the limitations of your tow vehicle before making your decission to enter our highways. we all would appreciate it. be careful and thank you for reading this. :D
I agree very well said

jbtrailerjim
04-10-2005, 05:13 PM
If you stay within the manufactuers ratings for towing and GCVW, you should not have any unusual problems.
Notice in victorfb's story the truck/trailer combo was apparently OVERWEIGHT, which most likely led to a dangerous braking deficiency.
Good judgement and attentive driving go a long way especially when towing - you will always need extra space for braking while towing and ideally leave more space between you and the vehicle in front of you at a minimum.
Ofcourse a larger vehicle may stop faster, but NO vehicle will totally make up for poor judgement and a lack of patience.
I mean, if you follow the logic of some why not just go out and buy a Kenworth...?
According to the vehicle tow rating database at trailerboats (based on the manufacturers specifications) a properly equipped 03 Explorer (which is not a 'small' SUV) is rated to tow up to 7000 lbs.
Don't forget to consider the GCVW and the weight of your gear and people in your SUV when towing as well.
Very good advice right here! I agree 100%