PDA

View Full Version : Ever see a hummer off-road?

essexjet
03-27-2005, 10:27 PM
This has got to hurt.........................your wallet :D
hummer (http://www.big-boys.com/articles/badhummer.html)

Bense468
03-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Thats weak. Should of seen us this weekend.

Kilrtoy
03-27-2005, 10:32 PM
And the insurance is not gonna cover that

6 Dollar Boat
03-27-2005, 10:35 PM
My old Toyota has been through way rougher sh!t than that...that wasn't much more than going over a curb... :confused: :hammerhea

Bense468
03-27-2005, 10:41 PM
the guy was an idiot for sure. First of all, most decent trails will not even accept a hummer. Second who buys a 55-60K truck to off road in. I would an old bronco if I wanted to get serious for 25 and the hummer couldn't touch it.

essexjet
03-27-2005, 11:00 PM
the guy was an idiot for sure. First of all, most decent trails will not even accept a hummer. Second who buys a 55-60K truck to off road in. I would an old bronco if I wanted to get serious for 25 and the hummer couldn't touch it.
Amen :hammerhea

phebus
03-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Ever see a hummer off-road?
No, but I got one once. :jawdrop: :D

MagicMtnDan
03-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Stupid azz - no spotter to start with and probably no offroad experience. Gunning the motor when you're having trouble climbing rocks is a sure fire way to break something and guess what, he did. Dumbass. :messedup:

djunkie
03-28-2005, 03:20 AM
It's funny how everyone is buying these things thinking they are real Hummers. The truth is they're not. The new H2 (correct me if I'm wrong) is just a Tahoe with a Hummer looking body on it. A real hummer can take a beating. 4 wheel independent suspension and a skid plate from the front of the thing to the back. An H2 is nothing even close.

essexjet
03-28-2005, 03:32 AM
It's funny how everyone is buying these things thinking they are real Hummers. The truth is they're not. The new H2 (correct me if I'm wrong) is just a Tahoe with a Hummer looking body on it. A real hummer can take a beating. 4 wheel independent suspension and a skid plate from the front of the thing to the back. An H2 is nothing even close.
Being in the Army for 3 years you are very correct. The H2 is a piece of S#$% compaired to what we had

djunkie
03-28-2005, 03:34 AM
Being in the Army for 3 years you are very correct. The H2 is a piece of S#$% compaired to what we had
I've got a couple off-roading videos around here that show REAL Hummers rock crawling. Those things are amazing. The only down fall to them is their width. Other than that they are bad ass.

essexjet
03-28-2005, 03:36 AM
I've got a couple off-roading videos around here that show REAL Hummers rock crawling. Those things are amazing. The only down fall to them is their width. Other than that they are bad ass.
They are called H1 correct. Those things are bad ass

djunkie
03-28-2005, 03:38 AM
They are called H1 correct. Those things are bad ass
Not sure what they were called exactly. But they are basically the military Hummer but with a little luxury to them. Hell in the videos I have these people are rock climbing them with the A/C going and watching tv in the back seat.

RiverOtter
03-28-2005, 04:08 AM
I saw one on the beach once :notam:

essexjet
03-28-2005, 04:14 AM
I saw one on the beach once :notam:
Did you see or get?? :D :D

RiverOtter
03-28-2005, 04:16 AM
Did you see or get?? :D :D
Not sure what you mean but I seed one driving on Grayton Beach once. :D

essexjet
03-28-2005, 04:18 AM
Not sure what you mean but I seed one driving on Grayton Beach once. :D
"Get a Hummer"...................never mined :hammerhea

superdave013
03-28-2005, 05:06 AM
And the insurance is not gonna cover that
I bet warrenty would cover it. I had 11 sets of auto locking hubs replaced in under one year by Ford. Then I got smart and put a set of locking Warn hubs on it with my own dime. Those lasted the life of the truck.

mike37
03-28-2005, 05:50 AM
H2 POS Chevy not the real thing

JetBoatRich
03-28-2005, 06:03 AM
Sure broke pretty easy :eek:

BarryMac
03-28-2005, 06:40 AM
Tie Rod made of Pot metal...???

JetBoatRich
03-28-2005, 06:50 AM
Tie Rod made of Pot metal...???
That I what I figured broke, just seem like a minor wheel hop to break so easy :hammerhea

Lake Ape
03-28-2005, 06:58 AM
That ain't no Hummer, that's a chevy Tahoe with a different body on it! I drove a hummer in the 87' Easter Jeep Safari in Moab and no problems with an obstacle. I drove right up Patato Salad Hill the first try, Golden Spike, Prichett's Canyon, etc. etc.... No problem. That's a fricking Tahoe with a $40K body on it!

hoolign
03-28-2005, 07:32 AM
The h2's are meant for the yuppies to get around in when it's raining. or in that dreaded inch of snow. they are as much of a hummer as a honda civic. I get a kick out of these guys who drive them, most of the ones up here, they kinda look down their noses at you..I'd like to latch the D-max onto them and drag em into some bog , and watch themtry to hook up a winch in their oxfords in a foot of mud . They figure they need to lock em in on a 4% grade.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4-B
03-28-2005, 07:36 AM
Ever see a hummer off-road?
No, but I got one once. :jawdrop: :D
:2purples: :jawdrop: :D

Sherpa
03-28-2005, 07:47 AM
that's what you get with a POS IFS front end..... junk to start with......
trail-spotters fault-? not... it's a junk truck.......
as for the "real" H1 hummers: I too thought they were awesome..... right up
until I watched some clown at holister only trying the go up the little obstacle
course (that almost any 2wd rig could do) this guy broke about 10k worth of
parts in les than 3 minutes.......... left front hub grenaded........ then rear
driveshaft, which took out the transfer case, and also he broke the front
driveshaft, which took out part of his tranny........
junk.......... I wouldn't want to have to drive one...........
I lost alot of respect for that hummer that day.....
--Sherpa

MagicMtnDan
03-28-2005, 08:20 AM
that's what you get with a POS IFS front end..... junk to start with......
trail-spotters fault-? not... it's a junk truck.......
as for the "real" H1 hummers: I too thought they were awesome..... right up
until I watched some clown at holister only trying the go up the little obstacle
course (that almost any 2wd rig could do) this guy broke about 10k worth of
parts in les than 3 minutes.......... left front hub grenaded........ then rear
driveshaft, which took out the transfer case, and also he broke the front
driveshaft, which took out part of his tranny........
junk.......... I wouldn't want to have to drive one...........
I lost alot of respect for that hummer that day.....
--Sherpa
Yeah, whatever. What do you drive offroad, a custom rock crawler?
For a full size truck, the H2 is OK offroad if you know what you're doing and if the trail isn't narrow. It's a heavy full-size truck but it'll do just fine offroad as long as it's not an extreme trail.

Sherpa
04-04-2005, 07:05 AM
custom DOM tube framed Cj7 bodied atlas II nv4500 TPI350 dynatrack
prorock 60's front and rear steer ARB'd 2.5" racerunner 16" coilovers
42" IROKs...........
any questions-?
--Sherpa
unless the military H1 hummers get better parts than the civi versions,
they are crap. their portal boxes are weak. the half shafts are about the
size of a dana 44 shaft, chain-drive transfercase, and oh, let's not forget
the great 6.2 engine they all got........
heavy and wide........ all I'm saying is this thing broke a bunch of stuff
on a REAL easy little climb.... I watched a 2wd dunebuggy go up it
just before the h1 did.... as for the H1, it was ALL DRIVER ERROR..........
we told him to stop when he grenaded his front left hub.... he kept going.
when the right front quit, we told him again. he kept going. he kept
going right up until the bottom end grenaded the tranny and transfercase.
it was eye opening to see what happened under that thing....
--Sherpa

hoolign
04-04-2005, 07:24 AM
I think the biggest problems with the civilian H1 is that people are under the assumption that it is indistructable. They are not trained to drive them as are military personnel. Well if you get in anything and keep your foot into it at all times, through all conditions...of course somthing is going to break. My D-max gets put through alot as I work in the oil patch, and alot of areas we work in are undeveloped. you get some knuckle head who thinks the only way to negotiate obstacles is by mating the pedal with the carpet...is sooner or later gonna bust something. The H1's are great vehicles, I have friends who run them in some very extreme conditions...without incident.( except for the 5000 dollar bill to have one helelifted out :D )..The H2's are a 4x4 station wagon at best... The yuppies that buy them and figure the are 4x4ing on a gravel road ( that needs only a layer of pavement to be considered a highway) or lock em in when it starts raining are a joke!..That video showed just how unskilled most h2 drivers are. A good driver could likely negotiated that trail with ease in any 4x4.

spectras only
04-04-2005, 10:49 AM
I think this one is still for sale ;) .It will go where no
hummer has been. All wheel steering , 496 engine .
Hoolio, you'll be the sh...t with it in berta :D
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/hum2.jpg

MsDrmr
04-04-2005, 10:53 AM
"Get a Hummer"...................never mined :hammerhea
Guess he wasn't in that frame of mind :rolleyes: