PDA

View Full Version : Future of Boating - Prediction

dirty old man
03-28-2005, 02:40 PM
If any more of us kill or maim ourselves or others its going to be difficult for any of us to get reasonable insurance, if at all. It won't be long before cats, tunnels or stepped bottom boats are denied or black listed. Next, locations such as certain named lakes or portions of rivers will carry a higher premium (if covered at all).
Finally, our favorite government agencies will come around and protect us from ourselves. WE DON'T WANT THAT!
But I can assure you non of this will change an irresponsible person who happens to own a boat from doing something stupid on the water

Kilrtoy
03-28-2005, 02:42 PM
It wont change its like Drunk driving, No one cares until it affects them.......

RiverOtter
Yup, all y'all will be driving Sea Rays and Chaparrals like us in TN :hammerhea

RiverDave
Alot of what you said is already or already has happened. I know when I was searching for insurance for our boat, a few of the carriers specifically asked if we boated on Parker and claimed they did not cover boats that were used on that water way.
RD

jackpunx
03-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Alot of what you said is already or already has happened. I know when I was searching for insurance for our boat, a few of the carriers specifically asked if we boated on Parker and claimed they did not cover boats that were used on that water way.
RD
Was that before or after you told them who you were

moneypit
03-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Im not an insurance guru, but remember one thing. People also get killed in cars. There is still insurance for cars... But It applies the same way. The more radical it is, the more it will cost to insure... You also have the option to pay cash for a boat and only carry minimal amounts or liability. Or you can be irnorant and go without insurance like alot of car drivers.
I think for years, its been peaceful for boat insurance companies.. But as soon as jet ski's sea doo's started hotting crazy speeds, and boats continue to do what they are, it will come down to requirements.
I do see in the future, mandatory boating drivers license, which I totally agree on. I think it will keep a certain amount of knuckleheads off the water. Just my 02.

RiverDave
03-28-2005, 02:52 PM
I think it will keep a certain amount of knuckleheads off the water. Just my 02.
Just like it does for cars? ??? How many knuckleheads do you see every morning?
RD

Sherpa
03-28-2005, 03:07 PM
insurance is overrated............
--Sherpa

NashvilleBound
03-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Dont yall be mixing me in with all them thar locals.... definitely a different set of gene pools.... :hammerhea

Tom Brown
03-28-2005, 03:09 PM
I predict that, in the next ten years, RiverDave will change his position on levels of drinking and operating motor vehicles.
... but he'll still be a piss tank.

Ziggy
03-28-2005, 03:15 PM
It wont change its like Drunk driving, No one cares until it affects them.......
Ya know Kilr, thats twice in one day I agree with you..a new record. :D
Sadly, as you stated it won't change for some who think they're above it all. :mad: worst part is many choose to ignore their common senses. :rolleyes:

Community
I used to write business for State Farm and we actually had rating territories. Lake Pacifica and anywhere along the Colorado River is the same. Then they had Northern CA lakes and Southern CA lakes. If they are red lining you because of where you like to boat, they could be breaking the law. Problem with State Farm is they don't like tunnels or mod-v's or anything over the transom or 70mph.

lucky
I predict that, in the next ten years, RiverDave will change his position on levels of drinking and operating motor vehicles.
what tom --will he face away from the law informent Office while floating by ???, ----- at midnight ----------------- with the music blasting ------- millie vanillie :D :coffeycup lmao poor ****in dave will never live that down :)

HCS
Good prediction. Now if only everyone was responsible.
Never happen. The goverment will be forced to protect us from ourselves.
Cut off switches, helmets and seatbelts in boats will all become a reality.
If you do not comply and get in an accident you will be a fault.

NorCal Gameshow
03-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Just like it does for cars? ??? How many knuckleheads do you see every morning?
RD
like the woman putting her eye liner on...
the guy reading a novel...
the woman yelling at her kids in the back seat...
sounds like a new thread...What stupid things have you seen other drivers do ? ... :D

NashvilleBound
03-28-2005, 03:24 PM
sounds like a new thread...What stupid things have you seen other drivers do ? ... :D
Come out to TN...its a whole new world of SHITTTTY DRIVERS!!

Tom Brown
03-28-2005, 03:27 PM
One time, I saw a guy wank while driving but it was an extremely remote road and there were no other cars within view.

HCS
03-28-2005, 03:29 PM
One time, I saw a guy wank while driving but it was an extremely remote road and there were no other cars within view.
Was it your in car camera?

RiverOtter
03-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Dont yall be mixing me in with all them thar locals.... definitely a different set of gene pools.... :hammerhea
The longer you swim in the pool the more chance you'll catch something. :D

Boatcop
03-28-2005, 03:55 PM
The problem with insurance companies is that they paint the Colorado River with one brush.
Several years ago I was successful in getting the "Red-Line" on boat insurance the Parker Strip lifted. I did this by teaming up with the Chamber of Commerce/Tourism Bureau and showing the accident statistics for the area.
Those statistics show that the Parker Strip is actually one of the safest waterways in Arizona, based upon boater use and number of accidents. We have been hovering in the area of 18-22 accidents per year since 1995.
Compare that to the Bullhead City area, which has about 1/3 of the boat use of the Strip, and had more than 50 accidents in 2003 (last data available)
While some of the accidents are horrific, the actual number has remained static. And all this with boat use nearly tripleing during that same period.
Some insurance companies still believe the River of Death stories about the Strip, but the data shows otherwise. And we will continue to do what we do here to make sure it stays that way.

Kilrtoy
03-28-2005, 03:57 PM
I can handle that thread all by myself......

Dr. Eagle
03-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Naw... We'll all be driving rubber boats with oars... :2purples:

HCS
03-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Naw... We'll all be driving rubber boats with oars... :2purples:
Then people will get maimed beating each other over the head with their paddles. Alcohol will be at fault. :boxingguy

Dr. Eagle
03-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Then people will get maimed beating each other over the head with their paddles. Alcohol will be at fault. :boxingguy
Or sink their boats with the bottle opener... DOOOOOMED!!!! :D :coffeycup

burtandnancy
03-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Boatcop, is it true that PWC accidents are grouped in with regular boats? If so, how does this effect the ratio's?