PDA

View Full Version : NE Body know computers

locogringo
03-29-2005, 10:45 PM
Came home earlier tonight to discover that our main computer crashed. I am never on it anymore but the wife always is and I can't find the saved files disks on that computer. Does anyone know a good data recovery place that can extract our files? We have alot of important stuff on there.
Daniel

bigq
03-29-2005, 11:09 PM
What OS? Did the HD crash or the system just won't start?

locogringo
03-29-2005, 11:24 PM
HD crashed. Ran all sorts of tests and they won't complete. PArtial HD crash IMO but what do I know?

locogringo
03-29-2005, 11:25 PM
When I boot up the computer, it sas imminent hard disk failure. Even called Compaq after I tried all my "knowledge" and they stated the same thing. HD crashed.

CJ
03-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Data recovery is VERY EXPENSIVE. There are many companies out there that can do it. You will have to send the drive out to have it checked out and then they will quote you. Most likely free until you have them actually pull the data off the drive.
If the drive is clicking, TURN IT OFF IMMEDIATELY. You will do irrepairable damage to it.
I don't know which company to go with but there are a bunch.
I had a serious crash a couple of months ago. Actually blew my primary and secondary drive. My backup was even toast. I lost uncountable pictures of my kids. I now backup with XDrive, as well as on CD-R. Check it out! $9.99 per month for 5GB of online backup!! There is an automatic backup feature that works awesome!! Either go to my site, TheSuperNerd.com (http://www.thesupernerd.com) or go to XDrive.com (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-1664246-10306137) (affiliate link for full disclosure)
Could care less if I make money off it so if you want, go to XDrive.com (http://www.xdrive.com) if you feel it inapproprate to click my affiliate link. All I care is that you backup you data one way or another.
Chris Johnson
TheSuperNerd.com

locogringo
03-30-2005, 08:37 AM
thanks. Expensive aqs in a few hundred dollars or more??

bigq
03-30-2005, 08:56 AM
As CJ said it can be hundreds of dollars to get data off a bad HD. I have been able to get some info back for my customers through some special software, but if the data is totally inaccessable you would need to send to a company that can actually remove the disk, which is extremely expensive. The best bet is to always do backups to removable media or offfline file or remote backup. Remote backup is more for business clients and the offline file folders work great as CJ said for backing up files. i have used Xdrive and Go Daddy off line folders.

CJ
03-30-2005, 09:09 AM
I think the quote I got last time was around $1200 for 10GB. Now that was before he got the drive and told me it was toast. That was free.
I did use some software on it and got a bunch of jibberish. I thought it was working as I got 20,000 files off the drive. Turned out only around 100 were savable and those were internet jpgs and gifs that were useless!

bigq
03-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Yea the $50.00 software you usually end up with crap, I have not found a cheap solution that has worked. I have had good luck with my Winternal software, but it cost a pretty penny.

It's all Good
03-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Ontrack Data Recovery, www.ontrack.com. They have a facility in Fountain Valley. They are very good, very expensive. They have been doing it for a very long time.

CJ
03-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Yes, Ontrack is one that I checked.
I tried all the backup software and the worst part is that most do not write directly to a CD-R due to the Window's conventions. Maybe someone has the fix for that? I have been told with the correct software/drivers, it can be done. I stopped researching it after I successfully setup XDrive to backup my drives automatically.