PDA

View Full Version : Dead guages

25dic
04-24-2006, 08:43 PM
I have a 1999 7.4 MPI and all of the guages went south at one time, I had the guages working before I got gas on the river and when I came back off of the gas dock nothing. Has anyone heard of anything like that before and a fix?

OutCole'd
04-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Have you checked your fuses?

Cheap Thrills
04-24-2006, 08:47 PM
replace the fuse for the guage cluster :idea:
make sure you dont have any pinched(shorted) wires esp arround the fuel tank causing the fuse to blow.
C.T. :wink:

25dic
04-24-2006, 08:49 PM
I checked power off of the ignition switch and all of the fuses on the fuse block, no problem found(npf). Four wires on all guages, 2 for the back light, the other 2 appear to head back to the motor. I am suspecting all of the guages get sent from the motor?

Cheap Thrills
04-24-2006, 08:52 PM
the two headed back to the engine are for guage power and the guage sending unit. oil /temp with the switch on at least one of the two wires from each guage should have power on it excluding. the light wires. also the guages should be grounded through the guage housing.

25dic
04-24-2006, 09:00 PM
One other check I did was pull the plug and use the test light to a good ground and check each of the four pins. I then turned on the lights and had one hot wire and assuming one of the other is the negative for the ground. That left me the 2 in question. Is there a web sight where I can get a schematic for typical guage wiring.

Cheap Thrills
04-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Here this may help .
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1127oil_pressure.jpg

25dic
04-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Is there a fuse located back at the engine for the guages, all of the fuses up by the guages were good. Thanx for all of the help.

25dic
04-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Forgot the light and I did check the remaining 2 wires and no 12v.

Cheap Thrills
04-24-2006, 09:11 PM
or maybe you need to upgade to 40Wt. ball bearings in the rotator splint.
better get a big hammer you'll need it . :p
good luck with it like Shockwave said it has to be one of two things . power or ground to the cluster. yes sometimes there are fuses in the engine /bilge area sometimes mounted to the transom sometimes mounted to the back of the engine. depending on who rigged it last it could be anywhere.

25dic
04-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all of the help, my next step is to get a drawing of some kind or start tracing wires. Once again thanks for the help. I am leaning toward loss of the 12v+.

Cheap Thrills
04-24-2006, 09:21 PM
If you have no 12v at the gauge with the key on, you can stop leaning and go for the full on falling in that direction.
There's really no "drawing", it's all about who rigged it. You might just find the wire that feeds all the gauge 12v and connect it to the key switch directly. Same same.
yep I agree and a 5amp inline fuse wouldnt be a bad idea on the feed wire either not required but would be a safty issue with me since I am prone to vehicle fires :rollside:

BadKachina
04-24-2006, 09:28 PM
The purple wire off your ten pin engine harness is going to be your power. It will most likely be jumped from gauge to gauge along with the black ground wire. Typically the harness will have a red wire for your battery that will go to a breaker or fuse and then to your ignition. On the other side of your ignition will usually be a purple wire that will feed power back to your motor and to all the gauges. The yellow and red striped wire on your ignition is for your starter seloniod. If the purple wire is disconected from your ignition the boat will not run and your gauges wont work either. All your gauges will run off this harness, usually there will not be a seperate ground and positive run to your battery. Some harness have just signal wires with the gauges jumped from gauge to gauge with the three power wires (positive, ground and positive for the light (the light is typically a blue wire)). Other harnesses will have a seperate pos, ground, and signal wire for each gauge with the blue (light) running from the light switch to all the gauges.
There is one big exception to this rule, if you have Medallion gauges they have their own harness, with four pronged connectors and a prossesor mounted somewhere. In that case the ten pin harness will run from your motor to the prossesor and then have a special harness with plugs for each gauge.

BadKachina
04-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Call me tommorrow at my shop and I will talk you through it. Advice is free..... :cool:

25dic
04-24-2006, 09:33 PM
I do have the 4 pin plug style guages, my boat is a 25 Nordic Scandia I did not see a brand name on the face of the guages and did not see one on the back(did not look very hard). What style of guages do Nordic usually use? Where might the module for the guages be located? What you described sounds like what I have. I will give you a call, thanx for the help. :rollside:

BadKachina
04-24-2006, 09:51 PM
It's a black box, about 8 inches by 6 inches. It will either be on the transom or under your dash. Follow the ten pin harness off the top of your motor and it will lead you to it. It should say Medallion right on it. It may or may not have your water pick up running to it along with two plugs, one comming from the motor and the other going to your guages. That system is set up so that you can plug any one of those plugs into any of their gauges and the computer will automatically determine what gauge it is.
Here's there website.
medallion instruments (http://www.medallionis.com/support/downloads.cfm?catID=2)
They have a support section and some numbers to call for customer sevice. I may also have a prosessor laying around somewhere that I took out of someones boat to convert to standard style guages if you find that yours doesn't work.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
04-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Try not slamming your boat into docks (RoadRunner) or into the side of tunnels ( KEYS )...... that ought to fix it!

25dic
04-25-2006, 06:25 PM
I need to make sure everything is working so I can tow you the next time you are down.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
04-26-2006, 04:08 PM
So did you get them fixed or what, you never know when ill need a tow!

Bre
04-26-2006, 04:15 PM
So did you get them fixed or what, you never know when ill need a tow!
You plan on running outta gas :p

Bre
04-26-2006, 04:15 PM
I need to make sure everything is working so I can tow you the next time you are down.
HEy Tom :)

25dic
04-26-2006, 09:16 PM
I don't plan on running out of gas, but if I do, I know a guy with a fast boat that is made for babysitting and towing. Hey Bre, it was nice meeting you. I found the manufacturer and got a schematic and troubleshooting guide, now I just need the time to work on them. :220v:

CBadDad
04-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Try not slamming your boat into docks (RoadRunner) or into the side of tunnels ( KEYS )...... that ought to fix it!
Maybe if you bang into them again, they'll start working again. :cool:

MONEYFURNOTHIN
04-28-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't plan on running out of gas, but if I do, I know a guy with a fast boat that is made for babysitting and towing. Hey Bre, it was nice meeting you. I found the manufacturer and got a schematic and troubleshooting guide, now I just need the time to work on them. :220v:
Hey even the 4 year old knows what boat to get on!